Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Death Parade maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tales of Woe posted:

was his japan sinks good? i saw a zillion negative reviews of it

I watched 3 eps only. Didn't hook me, wasn't awful. I'll go back later for more but the animation quality was pretty crappy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Endorph posted:

the 2010 show is up on youtube in full and the subs are decent. a bit stiff but that fits the material.

Yeah I keep seeing that described as a great literal translation for Chinese -> English pretty often.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

I don’t see a manga recommendation thread so I’ll ask here. I’m reading Akira for the first time in the beautiful 35th edition. Enjoying the hell out if it. Where can I get more of that level of world building, insane art, and tackling the government themes? Bonus if it’s finished and collected in an amazing package like Akira was. I’ve got all of Jojonium and Bersek Deluxe. I read one piece and chainsawman in the weeklies. And jojolion when it comes out.

bonus bonus are there any manga about guys in there 30s tackling existential crisis?

I second Solanin

Also not quite 30s but deals with it and shares some themes you liked from above would be Planetes

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Weedle posted:

so i started watching jojo's bizarre adventure and the first episode gave me the impression of like, a whacked-out nightmare version of barry lyndon, about a rivalry between two foppish aristocrats where the camp and melodrama are ratcheted up 10000000%. it turns out that's pretty much just the prologue and it turns into a fantasy fighting anime instead, but are there any shows that are actually what i thought jojo was going to be based on that first episode? like a completely over-the-top costume drama, preferably with a similarly bonkers dub?

Kinda maybe Gintama in some ways?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Thanks to the people who told me Gintama was not, as i feared, ultranationalist propaganda, i watched the tensest food battle ever!!
Ep. 25 was great.

:unsmith:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

nrook posted:

Does anybody have good recommendations for fighting sports manga with female main characters? I’m reading Teppu right now and enjoying it a lot although I hear it has a bad ending. I liked Hanakaku too although it got canceled way too quick. I’m also reading Batuque but I find the crime story side of it a bit ridiculous.

Not quite female mains but there's a lot of time and plot given to the female characters in All Rounder Meguru that might be worth a look.

Girls of the Wilds is a manwha mostly about girls fighting, there's a male MC also but probably the majority of the fights are womens iirc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I feel like there's a manga about a female kendo practitioner that I am forgetting....

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Endorph posted:

Bamboo Blade? Or something else?

Yeah I think that was it. I didn't read beyond like a couple chapters, wasn't for me, but might fit their request.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Endorph posted:

bamboo blade is decent but not amazing, but it has an incredible gag where the coach tries to sell his sega saturn to get money for equipment, only he forgets about it and leaves it in his car, and one of the kids takes it with them and sets it in the stands, so they just cut to the sega saturn along with the reaction shots of everyone else whenever anything big happens, for the entire tournament.

lmao that's a solid gag

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Kekkaishi is my favorite obscure shonen recommendation. The anime only adapts the first couple arcs (and I haven't had time to pick up from the manga) but I really like the relationship between the two leads, it feels way more like a friendship between actual teenagers than these shows usually manage.

Yeah seconding this. It was a good show and remembering back to it now I still think pretty well of it.

The manga was fairly solid but kinda goes into inside baseball on nuances from some of the characters and background organizations for the final major arcs so it got imo a little more complex than it needed to be to keep up a good story.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Angel Densetsu was so good

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

Is moribito good?

I enjoyed it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tales of Woe posted:

it's very good, one of my favs. doesn't have much action though if that's what you're looking for, more of a slow and atmospheric series

Ah yeah, the pacing and everything is slow. Not in a bad way, but it's a pretty chill show lots of times. Kind of like Mushi Shi but with more action and a more constant linear plot.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Which GITS is this? There's a ton of diff ones now and I can't tell what's OVA or movie or new series sometimes

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Colonel posted:

feel like logh is the kind of thing where if you're into it then mildly janky old animation probably isn't going to be a deal breaker for you

This. Also the pacing is slow but in a good way as there are lots of characters and nuance.

If watching it seems like a drag but you like the general aesthetic then the new series reboot might click better.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Pavlov posted:

It's strange how the consensus drifts over time. I ate a ban for being too hard on Made in Abyss back when it was airing. Granted, I was too hard on a lot of shows, but that one I stand by.

Actually, I haven't really kept up on anime at all since then. Can anyone recommend something that:

- Came out between 2017 and now
- Isn't an adaption
- Doesn't lean heavy on amnesia or time travel
- Does something weird/artsy/unusual

As an example the only thing I've watched between then and now is Deca-Dence, which ticks all those boxes and was OK.

Mob Psycho 100?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Made pre 2017 and based on a manga/webcomic.

Ah, didn't pick up on the adaptation part.

It's that old tho?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sonderval posted:

I'm in a weird place right now and looking for some manga/anime to tide me over.

I'm looking for something in the vein of "miserable/serious sci-fi that doesn't hold your hand or have characters plot dump on you constantly".

Thinking of things like :

- Ergo Proxy
- Blame!
- Texhnolyze

Thanks to Netflix I found Blame! after reading it years ago and its fired me back up for more.

Gundam Thunderbolt

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Zero_Tactility posted:

Planetes (the manga, not the anime; the tone in the anime is quite a bit goofier)

Oh gently caress yeah this

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I liked Ping Pong a lot more than Kaiba or Tatami Galaxy

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

AnoHito posted:

I’d go ahead with the rest of Satoshi Kon’s movies

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ahobday posted:

I'd like to find some shows that are fantasy, action, lots of flashing lights and fights, not too heavy/thriller/horror/psychological. Basically a JRPG in Anime form. I'd also like to avoid filler wherever possible, but I realise asking for no filler in a genre like fantasy action is probably a bit much.

Also ideally the main character is good at what they do and not struggling every time something pops up.

One Punch Man, Gurren Lagann and Sword Art Online kinda fit here imo

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Coxswain Balls posted:

I probably should have mentioned that I saw Shirobako a couple years ago which I liked, and I can't wait for the movie to get localized. I enjoyed Hanasaku Iroha the most out of the three, although that's probably because I like rural Japan as a setting, the art style, and the Mari Okada factor. I'll take a look at some of the other recommendations though, thanks.

I've actually had that queued up ever since I picked up a sound system since it has a 5.1 mix, just haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Ah definitely go watch it. That's one of my shortlist favorite animes. Barring 1 weird episode.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

DamnGlitch posted:

I was struggling to figure out which shirobako ep you meant then realized you were talking about Iroha and knew immediately, haha.

It a really lovely series.

The iroha movie is really nice too.

Ohh that quoted weird, I was talking about Planetes!

:embarrassed:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Draxion posted:

If you haven't seen Tatami Galaxy or Planetes I would recommend those

Seconding these and Ping Pong

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wave, Listen to Me! S1 was really good imo, hoping for a 2nd. I enjoyed the manga a whole lot and I think it does it justice, very strong/satisfying final anime ep especially.

Not related to horror above, just pointing it out cuz I enjoyed it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

wocobob posted:

just quit my job because of an RSI, so I'm looking for some nice meaty animes I can watch while letting my arms rest for indefinite periods of time. generally looking for two categories of shows:

1: generally good shows that are solidly long, but not like one piece or naruto long. i'm planning on watching FMA Brotherhood at some point bc everyone loves it, that's sort of the length i'm thinking.

2. shows with wild rear end/twisty plots. I'm a big fan of batshit crazy VNs like ace attorney, danganronpa, zero escape etc, so any show that captures that vibe (and ideally doesn't take a poo poo at the end) would be great.

haven't watched many anime, just getting into them, but here's a couple of shows I've watched and my opinions on them for context:

jojo parts 1-5: absolute banger, josuke's my favorite jojo, read the later parts after i finished bc i loved it so much

babylon: piece of poo poo terrible show lol. i love my good friend the gamer president

erased: overall good show, made me tear up, ending kind of goofy

made in abyss: great show except for the loli poo poo

Monster is long (70 eps or so iirc), sorta neat period piece in cold war Germany before and after unification, involves a Japanese expat doctor and his getting swept up in a murder mystery. Kind of like The Fugitive. Really well done, generally well loved in these parts. If you liked Erased this is probably gonna go well for you.

As always Legend of the Galactic Heroes, huge epic space opera, 110 or so eps and a couple different movies / OVAs. As much of a political question on which is better, benevolent dictators or corrupt democracies as it is a sci fi story. Takes a little bit to get into, has a huge cast but settles primarily around the same 5-6 players for the most part. There's also a reboot that's a lot shorter and faster paced but done quite well that has 2 seasons out so far.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

sponges posted:

Is Psycho Pass any good?

S1 is worth it imo but if you aren't really enjoying it a few episodes in you probably don't need to see it through.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chihayafuru for sure

March comes in like a lion

That Works fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 11, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Our bookshelf

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Endorph posted:

that your usual starting line or

:thurman:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Aardvark! posted:

whats a good anime if i want to see a lot of different powers and people getting more powerful

Hunter x Hunter was my last anime and I've also watched My Hero Academia but my overall watch list is miniscule

Bleach but it falls off pretty meh after season 1 or 2 imo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cephas posted:

How is Iron Blooded Orphans? I haven't watched a gundam in forever. I think war in the pocket was my favorite. I liked the original gundam too.

I liked S1 well enough. I haven't gotten to S2 yet but was told it's not quite as good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Patlabor movies good

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

GITS - SAC has a fair bit of the tiny Tachikoma spider mech / tank things, think SUV sized. They were used pretty cleverly in some parts.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

arsegrit posted:

One of my favourite things to do to kill time is go browse the sci-fi section of Amazon's self-published/free books and grab a selection of whatever looks vaguely interesting. As an olde who has only recently actually watched any anime stuff, I'd like to try the same here. Kindly share with me whatever science fiction-y stuff comes to mind. Explosions are fun, but political/intrigue type stuff is also good. If it takes a normal-ish idea and gets weird with it, all the better.

I have a very low bar for what I class as entertainment, as long as the underlying story is reasonably engaging. I will read and often enjoy complete trash that'd give any real critic a brain aneurysm. Show me anything!

Planetes and Monster are my go to recs always and work well for this imo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

AnoHito posted:

Persona 5 is more anime than most actual anime, lol. If they liked that, I don't think the issue is with the medium as a whole...

This

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mushi shi kinda might fit that vibe. Worth looking into at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

As much as I absolutely loved Tatami and Ping Pong I just can't seem to get into Kaiba. Never made it halfway through an ep yet really. I need to give it another try