Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The Devil is a Part-Timer is another comedy that doesn't rely heavily on high school tropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

2) is there anything as feel good as Ore Monogatari without it being like literally nothing happening

When I think "feel good," I think Non Non Biyori, but I'm not sure it meets your "something happening" standard.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I don't know if your list of Ghibli stuff included The Wind Rises but if it doesn't, it definitely should.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I figure robots that you hang onto the outside of must be like the open-cockpit biplanes of the mecha genre

Note: I do not watch mecha

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

What is smart fanservice

Fanservice of girls with glasses and college degrees.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Well, it is slice of life. Just something to chill and relax to and remind yourself that hey maybe life isn't so bad at all, haha what silly misadventures will that Yotsuba get into next. It's rarely hysterical but it's just what the doctor ordered whenever I'm feeling down about whatever.

Yotsuba has regular adventures, not misadventures. :colbert:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I wouldn't call them terrible but I am decidedly not a fan of either Ponyo or Howl's Moving Castle at least. Haven't gotten around to Wind Rises yet but most Ghilbi fans didn't seem to like it all that much, I thought?

I'm not what you'd call a Ghibli fan exactly (haven't seen much of their stuff at all) but The Wind Rises is a gorgeous and heartfelt movie, it's really good.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Whatevs I was pretty captivated :shrug:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Namtab posted:

Enough debate, watch k-on

No, watch Hidamari Sketch, that's like a Shaft-y K-on

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Any good yuri manga recommendations?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This has some v. cute faces.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

What are the recommendations if I fell into an anime coma in 2014 from Chihayafuru + Ping Pong being too good + need to know what the best couple of animes are from the past year or two (I don't really like actiony or fantasy stuff)

Shirobako!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

littleorv posted:

Recommend me some feels anime. I want to cry like a little girl

The Wind Rises

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Sesquiculus posted:

I’m looking for mellow, character-focused comedies, preferably with adult characters and not schoolkids

Barakamon mentioned above is a good choice.

Shirobako hits two out of three - it's adult characters (don't let the opening of episode 1 fool you) and has some solid character moments and comedy, but it's not really mellow in the way that Flying Witch or Tanaka-kun are.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Mederlock posted:

So, what do I watch to fill this Barakamon/Usagi Drop shaped hole in my heart?

Consider reading Yotsuba&, though it's likely you already have.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

WATCH MUSHISHI

For best results, watch an hour or so before bed. You will have the best sleep of your life. It's the most wonderfully chill, zen show I've ever seen.

Maybe don't do that for the Cotton Changeling (I think it was called that?) from S1.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

As far as anime that make me feel things, currently airing March Comes In Like A Lion is delivering so far, so it may be worth a try.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

You could also try Konosuba, Tanaka-kun is Always Listless, and March comes in like a lion.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

It's funny you say that about Flip Flappers, because you dropped it at the last episode before the plot kicks off. If anything, most people seemed to like the "nonsensical and chaotic" episodes better, though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Azumanga's slow pace is part of its charm in my opinion. Then again it was pretty much my first anime ever besides Pokemon so I guess it stuck with me for that reason.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

asking for a friend: what are some good animes that are depressing, but in a fantastical kind of way? like, she likes neon genesis evangelion and madoka magicka, but not something as "real" as gundam thunderbolt? if that makes sense? she also really likes terror in resonance, if that helps.

i'm drawing a blank for recommendations so i thought that maybe the fine anime experts here at Something Awful might be more knowledgeable than i

a 12 episode anime would be ideal

Mushishi, maybe kind of?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Any good post-apoc?

Currently airing Girls' Last Tour is excellent, if you're not already watching it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Fantastic

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Anime Recommendation Thread: The Great Fate Debate

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Hey all, I'm kind of just now getting back into anime and manga. So let's ask for two recommendations.

First up I recently finished Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. Loved it. It's sweet, gay as hell, I think it's funny, and just all around chill. It reminds me of stuff like Azumanga Daioh and Haruhi Suzumiya. More stuff like that would be great.

You might enjoy Tanaka-kun is Always Listless, Hidamari Sketch, Non Non Biyori, or Flying Witch. Also Usagi Drop (anime only, under no circumstances should you read the manga.)

Alternatively, the studio that made Dragon Maid and Haruhi, KyoAni, also did K-on and Sound Euphonium, and they're both very good, though the latter doesn't really do the funny/chill thing quite as much.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 12, 2018

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Flip Flappers is an uplifting coming-of-age story told via magical girl transformations, pocket dimensions, questionably ethical science experiments, and explosions. It is very gay, very weird, and very wonderful. Could fit for the the second part of BigRed's post.

And now when I hit "preview post" I see The Colonel has already recommended it...

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

dogsicle posted:

can someone speak up for Amanchu, because everything i've heard about it makes it seem like something perfectly in line with Dragon Maid (maybe less comedy-focused?) but i haven't gotten around to it yet.

I knew I was forgetting one! Yeah, Amanchu is good.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

i wanna watch some sort of genre show that doesn't take place in our (modern) world. no slice of life stuff, something plot and character heavy. isekai and technically not isekai but the setting is that same MMO-esque game mechanic drenched medieval fantasy need not apply

Mushishi

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Funny Bunny posted:

I haven't been watching as much anime as I used to and while I've sort of kind of been keeping up with some shows, this has affected my intake of comedic anime in particular. When I was still really into anime, I really enjoyed the type of humor in shows like Azumanga Daiou and School Rumble. But these are pretty much 15 years old already (drat).. are there any shows likes these that are more recent?

Nichijou is pretty much just Azumanga except every character is as weird as Osaka.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

content posted:

Lookin' for more cute feel-good girly anime.

Stuff like:
Yuru Camp
Flip Flappers
K-On
New Game
Flying Witch

Preferably not super fan servicey.

People have already recommended several of the best ones but Hidamari Sketch will always have a special place in my heart.

Also consider Non Non Biyori and Tanaka-kun is Always Listless

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 3, 2018

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

First half of Amanchu S2 was perfectly fine. I watched through the end of the Peter Pan subplot and dropped it after that, though. Not because I don't like magical realism - far from it! But it just seemed to be spinning its wheels - it spent three episodes on what ended up feeling like a total nothing of a payoff.

S1 is really excellent though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Was thinking either Tsuki ga Kirei or Sound! Euphonium after I finish off Tsurezure Children, which one should I watch first?

They're both good but they're very different beasts. Tsuki ga Kirei is shorter and focused pretty specifically on its central romance, whereas Euphonium goes to great pains to illustrate this entire social ecosystem that is the Kitauji High concert band, with different characters moving in and out of the spotlight. If you're into the craft of animation, like as an end in itself, Eupho will 100% blow you away though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Sorry I keep reviving this dying thread.

I need a good cry. That one episode of Re:Zero really got me and I want more of it. Bring on the sadness (tears of joy are also acceptable).

One word: Orange.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I think Aria: the Animation would fit the bill.

Not sure if it's on crunchy.

I'm still seeing it but YMMV depending on where you live.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

dracky posted:

I started watching Gash Bell and it rekindled my love for wacky kids' anime.
Are there any rec's for other offbeat, funny anime, not necessarily just for kids, that also has an interesting story? Not just gag series or slice-of-life type stuff but more akin to One Piece where there is a mix of humor and emotion. A unique art style is appealing as well, rather than standard "pretty" looking characters.
Stuff I have already seen: One Piece, Toriko, One Punch, Mob Psycho, Osomatsu, Cromartie, Naruto, TTGL, Kill la Kill, Dragonball, Digimon, Samurai Pizza Cats, Sailor Moon, Poptepipic, Black Jack

Watch Flip Flappers!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

It's really hosed up that JoJo s4 the bad JoJo was rated higher than Flip Flappers

Not that many people got into Flip Flappers but the people who liked it really liked it

Source: I'm one of those people

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

I want more weird apocalypse and philosophy mixed up like Eva and Devilmam Crybaby.

Bonus points for depression inducing!

Girls' Last Tour checks all three of those boxes, although it's not all that similar to your examples otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Non Non Biyori will warm your heart. Or make you sing weird songs about frogs.