Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

KildarX posted:

I'd like to be recommended a Horror or Horror esque anime, preferably with an English Dub, with a lot of graphic violence please.

Seen that I liked: Another, Highschool of the Dead, Mirai Nikki, Attack on Titan, Death Note, Gantz, Hellsing, Btooom.

Didn't like much of : Deadman Wonderland.
Shiki has an English dub, although I've never heard it so can't vouch for the voice quality. It gets rather gory, although I forget how much is directly shown rather than implied or being just offscreen. People do get vivisected and repeatedly run over by tractors by an angry mob if that's your cup of tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The Devil Tesla posted:

It might not be exactly what you're looking for since it's long form, with every story taking multiple episodes to finish, but this sentence describes Mononoke perfectly. It's a little bit of an investment, and the first episode is much slower than the rest of the show so it takes a bit to get into, but it's completely fantastic. Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales is also pretty great.
Was going to post pretty much this. Also note that Ayakashi is made up of I think three short stories, the third of which was the pilot for Mononoke. If you watch Ayakashi first and don't like it, Mononoke and its pilot are quite different from the first Ayakashi stories.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Parallax posted:

Are there any good horror anime movies? I know of a handful of shows, but is there anything worth watching in the movie-realm? Short OVAs would work, too. I'm just looking for stuff to watch around Halloween.
Perfect Blue is maybe closer to suspense, but is a good movie regardless.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm more perturbed by the lack of classic anime to legally stream from even, like. the 00s. no streaming azumanga daioh on any of the legal sites? no lovely complex? not even any of rumiko's old jams like maison ikkoku?

at least there's an ok amount of 80s anime out there on hulu and such. even CATS EYE
Probably a huge mess of semi-orphaned works where the rights holders may not even remember what's in their catalogue and/or are holding out for a better licensing arrangement because it's not like the property is going anywhere.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

MSPaintClock posted:

I finally watched all of Legend of Galactic Heroes, it really was amazing.
But where do I go from here?

Someone recommend me something new- here are the precious Animes I love:

I like good story, animation and artwork. Even if not's anime if you think it fits my interests go for it.

Have you seen Evangelion? The animation quality can vary throughout the series from insanely good to blatant frame-saving and reused cells/shots, but there's a reason we still can't shut up about it nearly 20 years after it first aired.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GorfZaplen posted:

The Magnetic Rose segment of Memories. Idk if it's really what you're looking for but it's about loss and it made me cry.
Does anyone remember the parts of Memories other than Magnetic Rose?

Saikano doesn't really make you cry so much as make you depressed. It's still the best at doing that particular thing, though, and the ending packs a real punch.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia is another series that I believe was made by a Shaft alum and shares the sensibility.

Has a bit of fanservice, but more of the Senjogahara/Hanekawa variety than the Mayoi/Karen/Shinobu one.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
QED is Legally Distinct Japanese Encyclopedia Brown solving murders in the late 90s, complete with Sally Kimball (although no Bugs Meany).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cock and Balzac posted:

onani master kurosawa

Molester Man.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Davincie posted:

i wouldn't count on anyone picking up a 14 year old
:aatrek:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sakurazuka posted:

SaiKano/She the Ultimate Weapon.

For when only the most brutally bittersweet animes will suffice.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DamnGlitch posted:

Just avoid the garbage rear end ova / sequel series.

I've never heard about a sequel, and I don't get how you can have a sequel to The Last Love Song On This Little Planet.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I like Knights of Sidonia but the entire point of the series is that it's a morbid twist on a harem anime plot

It's the rare harem series where the Best Girl wins, though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
If you haven't seen Cowboy Bebop, that should be at the top of the list.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Eela6 posted:

If someone says "oh this show is amazingly stupid" that's a selling point for me, personally.

Let's put that theory to the test:

Horizon On The Edge Of Nowhere

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The Shortest Path posted:

Noir is, imo, the worst of Kajiura's soundtracks, and that says a lot about her music.

Noir only had a handful of good songs, but those were really good. The soundtrack was really drug down by the overuse of the music box piece for every goddamn flashback.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

jng2058 posted:

Knights & Magic to name a couple of recent examples, the basic power fantasy of "a guy like me can go into a fantasy world and just lay waste to the place"

That one isn't quite so guilty. He's OP early, but then people in the fantasy world start reverse engineering his work and putting their own spins on it so the power level evens out somewhat.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I just watched Land of the Lustrous, and it was fantastic. What are some other good anime that deal with Buddhist themes and philosophy?

How much are you looking for just Buddhism as opposed to Japanese syncretism that has Buddhism, Shinto, ancestor worship, and sometimes a touch of Christianity thrown in?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cake Attack posted:

i wanna watch some sort of genre show that doesn't take place in our (modern) world. no slice of life stuff, something plot and character heavy. isekai and technically not isekai but the setting is that same MMO-esque game mechanic drenched medieval fantasy need not apply

Simoun, if you can take some slightly janky character designs.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

unstucker posted:

Please, help! What anime is it? Who knows?

Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Non Non Biyori is completely boring and totally not comedic.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
At least School Rumble ended with the correct pairing, which is rare in anime.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

content posted:

Lookin' for more cute feel-good girly anime.

Stuff like:
Yuru Camp
Flip Flappers
K-On
New Game
Flying Witch

Preferably not super fan servicey.

Nobody mentioning Aria: The Animation & sequels? A shameful subforum.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Only trust your fists
Mods will never help you

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ibblebibble posted:

working-life ones

Servant x Service

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

AlternateNu posted:

Also suggesting Kaiba. It looks acid-trippy at the start (and keeps the aesthetic throughout), but thematically, it goes into some dark philosophical places.

Imagine a pair of boots making a human face cry - forever.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I think Aria: the Animation would fit the bill.

Not sure if it's on crunchy.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wark Say posted:

Just to get you started from the Crunchyroll collection:

Nyan Koi

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wark Say posted:

Aren't Akira and Aika, if not out and out in love with, at least crushing really hard on Alicia, though?

Man, I should re-read it and get out of that doubt.

Aika was crushing super-hard on Alphonse, with blushes and trepidation, which made the Alica stuff, which had a lot more distance, seem more like fangirling.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Cappy posted:

Full Metal Alchemist
Dog Days
Inuyasha

Any series with your favorite waifu

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Hotbutt posted:

This might be a hyper-vague or weird recommendation request.

I'm looking for a show or movie where the characters solve their problems through being good people, or the issues they face don't necessarily facilitate the characters being terrible to each other. Maybe they learn to be a team, and they don't backstab each other to achieve their goals. They basically have to do the right thing, and they choose to do it with their buds being by their side.

It sounds like I'm asking for conflict-free, lovely plotless anime, but that's not the case. The closest thing I can think of is Brooklyn 99. The characters have their disagreements, but at the end of the day, they still come through because they like each other. I'm a little burnt-out on backstabbing secretly-evil characters, or everyone just being lovely to service a plot.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but you might try Windy Tales.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

cergos posted:

The humor in isekai quartet just feels off for me

Yeah, it's been "zany" in a way that doesn't actually make me laugh.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TheLawinator posted:

Weird ask but are there more shows with a similar visual style to monogatari and nisekoi? Like is that a studio based thing where they tend to have the same quirks?

The director you are looking for is Akiyuki Shinbo, and the studio is SHAFT.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

whoa yeah that definitely sounds like yuyuyu/AgK guy

AgK was rear end and balls, would not recommend

e: majikoi is good but precisely because it never tries to tackle a serious issue ever

every time this guy tries he botches it to an almost comical extent

So it's a David Cage anime?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Denpa teki na Kanojo is fantastic, and I wish there were more episodes. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, though; if trigger warnings are your thing, just presume it has all of them.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Torquemadras posted:

I appreciated how the plot turned incredibly bleak AND bonkers at the same time.
My friend, have you ever seen SaiKano (aka She, The Ultimate Weapon)?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There aren't that many series that are over 26, and even that long is rare these days. And most of those long series are going to be shonen battle stuff, which probably isn't what he's looking for.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Knights and Magic had its mech fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fooley posted:

I'm looking for something grounded, with a bit of actual information/trivia. Shows like Koizumi Loves Ramen, How Heavy Are Your Dumbbells, Dagashi Kashi, and Food Wars. I think Galko-chan would fall under that too.

Bartender.

Also Yurucamp on the off-chance you missed it.