Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also check out Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit for fantasy parent feels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Putting all my recs behind Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu because that show is incredible.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya is the best movie Ghibli ever made.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you like Jojo you should give Kaiji a shot, it's a show about super over-the-top gambling.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've been watching Natsume's Book of Friends to get through this week, each episode is self contained but there's a lot of happy-cry moments.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you want a lot of extreme emotion you should try sports anime.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ninjewtsu posted:

Are there any sports anime that you'd recommend that sounds similar to the kind of show I'm looking for

I liked ping pong but for the most part I've never been terribly excited by sports shows and as a result haven't seen many of them. Glancing down that op, none of those shows sound like the kind of thing I'm looking for, what show in particular do you think would be a good fit for my ask?

Sports anime generally have lots and lots of intense episodes where things slow down and everything is super important and emotional, so it immediately sprang to mind when you mentioned the Chimera Ant arc in HxH. Chihayafuru and Haikyu would be good shows to look into.

Yes this!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cowwan posted:

Alright, thanks for the heads up.

For the record, I have no idea what pavlov is talking about.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Not enough people watched it but Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is incredible.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also March comes in like a lion is great but it's gonna keep running into the winter season so I don't know if it's technically eligible for ADTRW AOTY this year.

edit: ignore me someone already said this.

Here's my full list anyway:

1. Yuri!! on Ice
2. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
3. Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
4. Flying Witch
5. Osomatsu-San

devtesla fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 19, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zaphiel posted:

I've been watching some Mushishi and Natasume's Book of Friends, and it's reminding me how great anime can be. Have any more anime like this come out? Ones that are chill with a little bit of supernaturalness in it?

Flying Witch

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Part 2 is my favorite part, just straight up adventure with a great lead. Part 1 is better if you don't take it seriously, it's all really campy.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
HUNTER X HUNTER. It gets pretty dark but it's got great adventure feels.

And if you want Food Wars! but better try Yakitate!! Japan

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
An ADTRW classic

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yes

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
HxH is a slow burn but it's the best slow burn and oh my god does it deliver.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

Anyone care to recommend a good action fantasy show with a woman protagonist?

Moribito!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The first OP for Yona is perfect and I love that they started weaving it into the show itself once they switched OPs.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You're not wrong but I still love Yona, and I hope it gets a season 2 cause the arc right after the anime ends is loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Flip Flappers was murdered by its own plot :(

Please donate to my fund, and we'll help save future animes from Too Much Plot.

Alternate joke: Flip Flappers had a plot so Flying Witch could have none.