Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I mean more, in the dub he is in on the joke, in the original you can never tell whether he is or not. There's something about the performance that changes the nature of a lot of the jokes for the worse in my opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

FMA is something I'll never really understand the enthusiastic acclaim for. It's good! But it's just good and not ever particularly exemplary in my opinion. There's much better out there that aren't 64 episodes long

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Further to that, I'm interested in reading more manga set outside of Japan, preferably post-highschool and modernish day rather than historical
Things I've read/watched already:
* Pretty much all of Naoki Urasawa's series that are set in Europe
* Zero: Man of Creation
* Lost Man
* Space Brothers
* Michiko and Hatchin
* Eden of the East

Gallery Fake is about a shady art gallery owner who travels the world searching for rare art. Some episodes take place in Japan but it also has a good share of globe travelling

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

what are animes from the 2000-2010 time period that had really excellent fight scenes? what was the aughts version of one punch man

Casshern Sins

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Saint Seiya Lost Canvas as well

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Astro Boy 2003 literally yesterday has well translated english subs and it's probably the best looking animation ever made for television

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

astro boy 2003 looks better than most anime films. iunno if id say 'best looking tv animation ever made' but its definitely the most consistently excellent.

What looks better.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

i mean no individual show as a whole does, thats my point. the director of astro boy 2003 is a live action guy so while theres a lot of really fun shot choices and it makes fantastic use of lighting it doesnt quite get inventive with animation in the same way as some classic gainax showcase episodes as a random example, even if astro boy 2003 is way 'better' animation, you know what i mean

That's fair, thanks for elaborating

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Looking for some hammy, soap opera-esque melodrama (e.g., Pretty Rhythm) and/or something with a stabbing involved (e.g., Haruhi, Pancreas, and Banana Fish). I've found shows like Clannad and anohana to be more frustrating than anything else, so I'd prefer to avoid anything in that vein.

Attack on Titan.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Hey, people :wave:

I'm looking for some anime that takes its setting from the RPG game genre. Stuff like peeps forming an adventuring party and fighting monsters and doing some cool poo poo. Doesn't have to be someone from the real world getting sucked into a game world but I guess that's the popular motive. I've watched Overlord which was fairly good at first but fell off for me hard when the main char just became a heartless gently caress for no real reason. Also not a fan of the super sexual adoration some chars have for the main. Recently I stumbled over Rise of the Shield Hero and that was kinda lame too tbh. Had some parts that I liked but the writing was real weak and a ton of characters are just dumb assholes because the story seems to demand it to keep its shallow conflict going and going. The main ending up with a harem of sorts also put me off but I realize that this particular cliche can probably not be avoided. Idk if you have anything in mind that's sorta similar shoot it may way

Mahoujin Guruguru

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kill Me Baby FTW

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

I want to give a shout out to Kaguya-Sama: Love Is War for not only being one of the best anime I’ve ever seen, but praise it for not succumbing to fan service, which it could have easily done.

Sounds lame.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think 08th MS Team is fine in light if you know, the director dying, and it's far from the dumbest story told in a Gundam show.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Any recommends with a similar setting like Gate? Meaning a clash between a medival fantasy world and our real world

Drifters

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kind of.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Megazone Part 2 is really good lol.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Watch basically everything Sho Aikawa did in the 80s becauze he wrote pretty much all the famous ones

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I don't get what the big deal is, feels like the usual hyperfocus on Japan revanchism because they're a client state of the US than being genuinely appalled at imperialism. Stuff like this is the entirety of the US alt history fiction market!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I was thinking more pro confederate stuff, should have specified

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

KillHour posted:

The US alt history fiction market is completely overrun by nazis and imperialism fetishists who see Starship Troopers as an ideal to live up to, so I'm not sure you're contradicting my point.

I just don't know why the op mentioned it at all other than to do some virtue signaling, from the way their post was written its obvious they didn't intend to genuinely watch it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Is there any shounen/battle manga that puts the focus on the whole team, rather than one or two specific characters? Alternatively something like suikoden where the main premise is the gathering of the team? The ensemble cast is often the best part of those series for me but most of the time they are left behind in the dust as the protagonist goes on to murder god.

Saint Seiya gives everyone an equal spotlight and I think one of its crowning achievements is how it never lags while doing so until the very very end and definitely not in the original 80s show

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

In fact in the final arc the main character is stuck in ice at the lowest level of hell and does absolutely nothing!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

loopsheloop posted:

What I liked:
Lain, basically perfect
Paranoia Agent
End of Evangelion
Eva 18-26
Paprika

What I didn't like:
Perfect Blue (too on the nose)
Ergo Proxy (too long and involved in plot points)
Eva 01-17 (same as above)
HAL (just a twist)
Welcome to the NHK (read in another rec thread this was good vs Paranoia Agent. I didn't finish it, to be fair, but on like episode 12 or so two characters are screaming at each other "I LOVE YOU, I NEED YOU TO LIVE!!!" at the top of a cliff and there's like, waves crashing so that was enough)

I think I'm looking for light on plot, heavy on themes type stuff?

The Hakkenden (1990 ova)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ahobday posted:

I'm looking for anime (and/or manga, which I mentioned because I can't find a manga recommendation thread) where the main character is very good/skilled. It can be in general or at a specific thing. An embodiment of TV Tropes' "The Ace": https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheAce.

Ideally the character won't have other flaws such as major personality flaws or emotional/mental problems that the plot uses to offset their skill. I'd like pure unrealistic excellence.

Instead of asking for a specific genre I'll say that any genre is fine as long as you think the anime (and/or manga) is extremely good/high quality.

The only example I can think of, which might not fit the "extremely good" criteria, is Food Wars, where the main character is very good at cooking.

Golden Boy

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Srice posted:

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken (and heck most things Yuasa has directed) fits that perfectly.

The caveat here is that when Yuasa is horny he is really horny

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I don't think I finished any seasonals I enjoyed this year so I won't be posting. Have fun everyone

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

nrook posted:

same, but unfortunately thunderbolt fantasy s1 doesn’t really qualify for the list, as it is neither a 2021 anime nor, being perfectly honest, an anime

Thankfully every year I make a thread dedicated to our favorite shows that DIDN'T air this year :cool: So I hope you come by and post about how much you liked Thunderbolt Fantasy! I have a couple of non-anime lined up myself!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Watch Odd Taxi.

I will eventually™️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tatakae!! Ramenman is basically Fist of the North Star set in feudal china.