Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

QuarkJets posted:

I'm caught up on One Punch Man and One Piece. What should I watch now?

Soul Eater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
"Bonus"

It was arguably a good choice back when the first series was still fresh on people's minds, to get to the new content faster, but a direct consequence is that if you don't watch the first series for those earlier bits, a lot of the weight of certain earlier events and character beats is diluted and robbed from the viewer. This is especially notable the further out we get from the shows airing, in that the definitive anime viewing experience is watching half of the first series, then Brotherhood, but even that has it's own issues with incongruous elements between the two shows.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On a tangent, has there ever been an anime that actually went in a better direction than the manga?

Mysterious Girlfriend X. Not that either is necessarily amazing mind you, but the Anime basically covers all the good bits of the manga, without covering the bad arc in the middle or any of the stale content afterwards, and reworks an early chapter into a final episode that works as a better resolution and conclusion of the story and main relationship than what the manga offered.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Hanebado and Harukana Recieve were both fun sports shows as well

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Ghost Stories Dub (I'm not sure how well the humor has aged).

Horribly in my opinion-a ton of dated jokes, a bunch of mean-spirited/stereotypical humor, and the main plot just isn't that interesting. There are some good bits in there, but I'd probably just recommend looking up the clips on YouTube instead of watching the whole show.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Gunbuster!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Blaziken386 posted:

I'll keep that in mind, if only to complete the trio of gainax mecha shows.

Also if you watch gunbuster and enjoy it, I'd definitely recommend checking out Diebuster afterwards.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Blaziken386 posted:

sidenote: the adtr wiki linked in the OP is, uh, up for sale

And what a steal!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

CJ posted:

I'm up to episode 30 of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I heard that this one was the complete story, but now i read that it skips some stuff at the start because it was covered in the 2003 anime. Is it worth me going back to watch that first?

You're not really missing out on events that happen so much as the fast pacing affecting the emotional resonance and weight of certain events. The Tucker stuff lasts a couple of episodes and makes it clear that as the Elrics work hard over the seasons they are acclimating to his family as if it were their own, which makes the fallout from that much more heavier, which Brotherhood later on wants you to feel the gravitas of that on the brothers, but it didn't do as effective of a job communicating that as the previous series did.

Plus if you just want a different take on the story that goes a different place tonally you could always go back to rewatch the original series after you finish Brotherhood.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

icantfindaname posted:

What's a good shounen romcom/harem series that is relatively un-creepy? I read a little of Nisekoi and that seemed pretty inoffensive, something like that. This is more for manga than anime, but there's no manga recommendation thread

5-Toubun no Hanayome, aka The Quintessential Quintuplets has been pretty enjoyable

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877889

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kokoro Wish posted:

Actually related (and not really looing for a recommendation, but if there is one, great), but has there been a series that is basic harem/romcom, but the main character actually ends up with another member of the harem romantically, as opposed to who would be considered the main/default girl? I'm guessing that the industry in general is too safely conservative for even that most of the time.

Also no School Days. gently caress you! :3:

Green Green, but I really wouldn't recommend it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Captain Invictus posted:

hopefully someone can ID this for me, there was a relatively funny slice of life series about a fat girl in swim club, it was mentioned in one of the slice of life threads iirc years ago but I completely forget the name of it and whether it even got finished or dropped or what.

Was it one of these shows? https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/tags/swimming

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

surf rock posted:

Hey all, what are some highly popular or influential or critically acclaimed anime that are also short?

I just watched the Netflix release of Neon Genesis Evangelion, and the reason why I was willing to actually pull the trigger and watch the show was just because I saw that it only had 26 episodes plus a movie and that, realistically, I could knock the whole thing out in a couple of weeks. That's pretty immensely satisfying.

Tatami Galaxy
Mushishi
Nichijou
Gunbuster
Diebuster
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

Kino no Tabi 2003 is very well loved and is only 26 episodes.

13* :v:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ninjewtsu posted:

What anime/manga do really fascinating/bizarre world building really well? I'm thinking of something in the vein of dorohedoro

Not nearly on the same level, but Haibane Renmei:hr: has an interesting world.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ulio posted:

I don't mind more comedic over action. Is the one from this season where the guy has a hot mom and they both get isekai'd, any good?

Ha,ha,ha.

No.

Also I'm gonna throw you a curveball: Monster Rancher

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Captain Invictus posted:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
They said best, not worst.

For actually relevance, both Gunbuster and Diebuster end on a bang.

Julias fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 25, 2019

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cock and Balzac posted:

I'm looking for some manga recommendations. But, I hate waiting for releases so it's gotta be something that's finished.

In no particular order, some things I've liked in the past are:
ciguatera

Oh man, that's a manga I haven't thought about it a long time. Based on other manga you've liked and this choice I might recommend Sundome, though that's definitely not sonething for everyone. It sticks with me because the ending is frustrating, sad, and somewhat beautiful all in the same.

Also you listed other Urusawa mangas, so I'd definitely check out both Billy Bat and 20th/21st Century Boys.

Abd to cover the drama side, you might enjoy Bitter Virgin

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
For video games, I would definitely throw Xenogears into that pile.

I'm more hard pressed on anime, but what comes to mind would be akin to
Promised Neverland
Monster
Paranoia Agent
...sighs Attack on Titan
Maybe Eureka 7?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Can second s1 and 2 of Wixoss. No idea how s3 and 4 are though.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nondevor posted:

Any good recommendations for edutainment shows? Or anything that focuses on a relatively niche topic and lets you learn a lot of technical details about the subject, really.

Moyashimon and Cells at Work are the primary examples I’m thinking of, but I guess series like Silver Spoon, Shirobako, and Bakuman also fall under this umbrella too.

It's not exclusively focused on the subject of mountain climbing, but Yama no Susume (Encouragement of Climb) is pretty entertaining and a heartfelt exploration of an introvert growing as a person, making friends and connections, and dealing with themes such as adversity in the face of failure. It's a pretty special show-plus the first season's episodes are so short you can finish the whole thing in less than an hour.

Also the first op for s2 is just such a visual treat
https://youtu.be/NTeLGxA1rrU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

icantfindaname posted:

Also, how about instead of “just like Spirit Circle” change the request to “short, complete series”. Maybe 10 volumes or less

I'd tell them to try other works by the same author (Satoshi Mizukami) first to see if it's his particular writing style, which would include the anime Spirit Circle, and the manga Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer and Sengoku Yōko.

If you're looking for completed shonen (action) series, most of them aren't shorter than 10 volumes unless they got a rushed/cancelled ending, which is never satisfying. There are plenty of concise manga in other genres though, or even standalone works. Is it being action oriented mandatory?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DamnGlitch posted:

Cgmechs.txt I guess

PA Works is weirdly uneven. I absolutely adore shirobako and iroha, but glasslip was embarrassing and kuromukuro is a mixed bag at best.

What did people think of Sakura Quest? Is it anything like first two mentioned above or is it more like the latter 2?

I didn't personally watch it, but I recall seeing multiple people compare it to a different flavor of Shirobako, so if you enjoyed that you'll still probably like sakura quest, even if not to the same degree.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's a deliberately perverse reading, to be sure, but the series basically opens with "hell yeah let's genocide the witches" and I kept hoping there'd be some kind of turn, or complication, or redemption arc to make Soul Eater not just about a war of extermination. And that just... never happened.

The Anime never really gets into it, but the manga does Medusa and her sister Arachne are just awful evil people, but the other witches get a better shake and by the end of the series the witches and academy are working together to deal with the Kishin. There are explicitly good people who are witches, such as one of the students, Kim. As for Medusa, if you want to know her fate in the Anime/Manga: In the Anime, Maka kills her near the end to save Chrona and Dr. Stein. In the Manga, Medusa further abuses Chrona and has them betray the students, returning home with her. It culminates in the abusive mother telling Chrona that she loves them, which cause Chrona to snap and murder the hell out of her. Chrona gets redemption by the end, but yeah Medusa gets her due

Julias fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 10, 2019

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fooma posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a mecha + magic anime. Like where the mecha themselves are wizards or use magic instead of rockets.

I’ve watched Scrapped Princess and more on point, Wizard Barristers, and looking for things more in that style. Wizard Barristers was great in theme but not story or style.

I have the major streaming devices available but I’m thinking this will lead to more of the obscure stuff.

Seconding Granbelm,

also Diebuster sort of fits the bill with a lot of the theming and the really advanced sci-fi/esper powers essentially being magic anyways.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Bongo Bill posted:

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still has nominally technology-based robots, but most of the cast has magic superpowers, including at least one literal wizard.

This is a good rec too.

Droyer posted:

diebuster is not something you should watch without seeing its predecessor gunbuster first, and gunbuster does not fulfill the magic requirement. That said they're 6 episodes each and both very good so...

I do agree that watching gunbuster first improves the experience, especially the finale, and I would really reccomend doing so, but I figured that it was worth bringing up. Also a bunch of the buster units/topless stuff is practically thematically coded as magic buster unit Dix-Neuf coming out of the shadows, being shaped like a broom, Tycho and the black cat in ep 1, the fact that this wonderous, childlike ability disappears as the topless get older, etc.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Slider posted:

I know very little about anime/manga, but I've been starting to watch some animated films such as:

Your Name
I Want to Eat Your Pancreas
A Silent Voice

and enjoying them. I'm looking for similar drama/romance films(possibly TV) like the above. I would prefer to keep the scifi elements to a minimum, but not too picky, just recommend me other broad appeal stuff.

Other than these films the only other anime/manga I've seen has been s1 of One Punch Man which was pretty entertaining but not interested in action/superhero genre right now.

If we are talking about tv shows, I think you might enjoy Kids on the Slope

The Revolutionary Girl Utena movie might scratch your itch as well.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ufarn posted:

After watching/reading some of the monstrosity that is Gantz, I kinda want some good horror, and I was thinking some Junji Ito manga, especially since his works are finished and readily available to buy everywhere.

I have *zero* idea where to start and what is good; the only real requirement is that it's well finished a while ago so I can buy it in print in Europe.

I was thinking something like 2-3 stories, this way I can always slap some on a Christmas wishlist. Also some bookstores here seem to have Black Friday deals.

EDIT: Another thing probably worth asking is: which of Ito's stories should I not bother reading until I've gone through all his other, better, stuff?

Uzumaki is a classic one to start with. As for avoiding them, I wasn't a fan of Gyo, though it plays on a very specific kind of horror that may or may not be up your alley.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

UnfurledSails posted:

Looking for anime that's, uh, not too exciting but not too boring. Something I can watch an episode or two of when I can't sleep at 3am. I've used Endro and Dagashi Kashi for this before and this season's Rifle Is Beautiful has been pretty much exactly that.

Tanaka Kun is Always Listless is probably perfect for this.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Draxion posted:

Since I've finished Nana and read Solanin in the past week, are there any other other band-related tragic or at least extremely real shows or manga should I check out? I've also watched BECK so that's out, though I would probably see it again.

Kinds on the Slope would be a good fit.

Also if you enjoyed Solanin I would reccomend Inio Asano's other works, notably Oyasumi Punpun and What a Wonderful World!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Schneider Heim posted:

On a whim I watched Mamoru Hosoda's One Piece movie (Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island) and liked it, even if I'm not a One Piece fan. Or perhaps it's exactly because I'm not a fan that I liked it (not sure what actual fans think of it), because it's a self-contained story that didn't last 10+ episodes.

I'm looking for more standalone anime movies based on big franchises (Conan, Lupin, Doraemon, Jump stuff, etc) that have good storytelling, visuals, or direction. Something anyone could watch as long as they have a cursory knowledge of the series. I know the Doraemon films are good, but which ones in particular stand out, etc?

For Lupin you can't go wrong with Castle of Cagliostro. If you're interested in Pokemon there's a ton of movies, though they vary in quality and which ones different people enjoy vary, though I would reccomend Pokémon 3: The Movie - Spell of the Unown, Destiny Deoxys, and Lucario and the Mystery of Mew as the typical best picks, and Jirachi Wish Maker if you want a more slow paced, atypical pokemon film.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity, what's the general consensus on The Woman Called Fujiko Mine compared to other Lupin works?

TWCFM>Lupin the III imo

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I can't speak for boogiepop, but I thought the new kino was really mediocre in comparison to the old show, which I liked a bunch.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DamnGlitch posted:

Who’s got recommendations for:

Educational
Suitable for middle school students in a school setting.

My gf is considering starting a school anime club and is looking for recommendations that fit the above bill.

Off the top of my head, we’re thinkin silver spoon and shirobako.

Kemono Friends

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AnoHito posted:

Cowards...

Though Cells at Work is a pretty great one, if you’re that opposed to explaining the horrors of imperialism for whatever reason.

Again, 11 year olds. You're forgetting how bloody violent the white blood cells dispatching germs is. But if they're fine with blood then it's a good pick.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SalTheBard posted:

Does this thread also double as describe an anime, someone will tell you what it is or is there a specific thread for that?

Yeah, the old thread got archived, and people have just been asking wherever, whether in new threads or the chat threads. If nobody else feels like doing it I can make a new one tomorrow.

Also feel free to ask your question in this thread.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

rvm posted:

Hey

Do you know any good dubbed kids shows like Ojamajo Doremi. My niece(10) is super into it (and so am l lol), but we're running out of dubbed episodes.

The first few seasons of digimon are pretty good-digimon adventure and digimon tamers (s1 and s3), as well as pokemon.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also if you're looking more for magical girl shows, can't go wrong with Sailor Moon (the old one, not Crystal)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SalTheBard posted:

They're was an anime I watched. It was a submarine based show. There was a town on an island with a steep hill that I think they used to roll a cannonball or something like that down it to defend themselves

And here's the thread I promised yesterday
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911274

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AlternateNu posted:

I'm pretty sure Princess Tutu is on Crunchyroll.

It's not, though it is on Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Hidive.