Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Psycho-Pass is great, so long as you skip the second season. It's directed by someone else, and though it honestly starts out alright it pivots hard into stupidity midway and it's clear they fundamentally do not get the basic principles and concepts of the setting.

The movie afterwards brings back Gen Urobuchi to direct, and it's fantastic.

Are the specials/seasons after that any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for old man 'edutainment' manga where the author has a passion for a certain subject or has just been reading an encyclopedia of weird facts and wants to make stories out of them.

I'm thinking stuff like Professor Munakata, Zero: the Man of Creation.

To be clear, I don't need to learn any true facts, I just like the vibes of Zero repairing a cursed Peruvian artefact or Munakata discovering a rural legend is true.

Restaurant to Another World is a serene enjoyment of food.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Peteyfoot posted:

Alright cool can I get a recommendation for a completed manga series that has a similar feel to BLAME! Something atmospheric and moody.

Video games why not what Switch game should I play after Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls, the Japanese take on high fantasy fascinates me (relatively on-topic)

Side-note, but go play Signalis if you haven't already and want something with BLAME!'s atmosphere.

Also if you've finished BLAME! and haven't ready Tsutomo Nihei's other works yet, go read BiOmega and Abara for something with a similar tone. There's also NOiSE, which is a prequel to BLAME!, and I have just learned has had a hardcover reprint so if you'll excuse me I have an Amazon order to make even though I have an original softcover version... :shepspends:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My hardcover copy of NOiSE arrived today, and it's very nice if anyone else likes Tsutomo Nihei's works. It's about the same size as a regular manga volume (The actual pages and art are the same size as the original softcover manga volume), just with a nice sturdy hardcover. They've done a new translation for it too that's very solid, and it even includes the original BLAME! short story that the original release did too. (With a minor translation quibble in it of "Killy" being more directly translated as "Kyrii" here, but meh it's just a neat short story of Killy Shoots Stuff.)

Peteyfoot posted:

I appreciate all these recs! I added Signalis to my backlog and will read Tsutomo's other works, I think the only one I've already read is BiOmega. :D

Add SNIKT! to the list as well, I picked up that as well and it was a good fun time. And very much a Tsutomo work in setting and tone.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Azran posted:

I've been on a kick of lighthearted romantic SoL/comedies lately - Horimiya, Ookami no Otoko, Our Wonderful Days, Insomniacs After School, Futari Ashita mo Sorenari Ni, Nagatoro, etc. Any stuff you'd recommend?

Will do!

Gamers.

No, seriously.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Azran posted:

Should I watch the anime or just go with the manga? From what I can tell it was originally an LN

Can't speak to the manga, but the anime's a good dozen-episode comedy of misunderstandings. Give it at least two episodes, you'll understand why at the end of the first one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Go watch Redline, because everyone should watch RedliiiiIIIIIIiiiinnneeee! :rock::rice::rice:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I've watched Redline! And yes you're right, everyone should watch Redline. :colbert:

Huh, I forgot that one was Ghibli for some reason - thanks, I think I'll give it a shot!

Actually an addendum and correction to this;

Watch Redline on the biggest screen, with the best sound system, in the highest quality/resolution you have access to. If possible.

Your eyes and ears will thank you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sailormoon posted:

I really enjoyed Frieren and the Monogatari series. Bunny Girl Senpai kinda hit the spot but felt like a cheap knockoff -- any animes up to that caliber in recent years?

Have you watched the Rascal dreams of a dreaming girl movie yet? Go watch that right now if not.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Hi I have a qq identifying a anime. So please help.

What's the anime that was on some major streaming platform (I think) and it was kind of science and horror and a lot of talking? It might have been American maybe. There was a bit of fan support but they canceled it/didn't pick it back up iirc. Google says Channel Zero? I remember a clip and it had a guy's head blowing up and lots of science and it was cool.

Been watching Serial Experiments Lain and I still don't understand it, but cool vibes. Must be where vaporwave came from, huh. Any other suggests for sci/fi/horror animes ? Stein's gate is cool too :thanks:

Paranoia Agent is another good next stop from around the same era.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

doomrider7 posted:

Shangri-la Frontier. It's VRMMO like SAO except actually good.

Infinite Dendrogram isn't an amazing show, but it does a good job of holding to its VRMMO world's internal rules without breaking them arbitrarily for cheap drama and power creep. Even the villains are just other players bound to the rules, they're just high-end players, and it's a fun little show all round.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

There's also that bit in Yamato where the enemies have space submarines lol

One of my favourite parts of 2199 is the sheer 1970's-esque sci-fi nonsense that is the dimension-diving Submarine In Space :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Half-recommendation in general for if you want something recent with the aesthetics of a 80's/90's OVA, go watch Metallic Rouge. The writing and tone really feels like something that would've been a four-episode OVA in the 90's, down to the OP.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

That's the manga adaptations, although there was allegedly an attempt to make a FoxKids version which turned Van into more the main character and reduced Hitomi's role but it never got past the pilot stage iirc

Had to double-check but it actually exists in totality... kinda. It's partially lost media, as there's parts of two episodes missing, but otherwise it had a full 23-episode run (some were skipped altogether). Also the same VA's as the "proper" English dub by Ocean, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ZXbrqPjKM

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

doomrider7 posted:

Yes. Yes it does.

Sleepy Princess almost immediately devolves into a case of "I'm not trapped in here with you, you're all trapped in here with me" and is utterly amazing for how the castle's denizens suffer in their supposed prisoner's continuous quest for a good night's sleep. :allears: