Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finally got around to starting Birdy the Mighty Decode 02, and holy crap they are not holding back with the violence this time :suspense:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chas McGill posted:

There are some great fight scenes in the second season. Birdy is cool.

It was more stuff like Ripping a dude's goddamn arm off and pulping him into the loving wall. Nevermind the first episode starting with blowing holes in security guards and crushing heads barely two minutes in. :black101:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spiritus Nox posted:

If I really liked K-On, and if I thought the best thing about K-On (besides it being a KyoAni production) was the character writing, what are some other shows worth looking into?

Azumanga Daioh.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ninjewtsu posted:

if you just want a series of cool fights and don't care too much about anything else, gundam build fighters has very good fights. you don't need to have seen other gundam shows to enjoy it (there are some pretty cool nods to gundam if you're familiar witht he franchise but nothing really improtant). do note that it's not representative of the larger gundam franchise pretty much at all.

Ehhh I'd recommend seeing a "proper" Gundam series first before Build Fighters, any of them, just because half the fun is recognising the neat custom kits. Iron Blood Orphans or Gundam 00 are both fantastic Gundam series worth watching in that regard.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ufarn posted:

So, Evangelion. It seems like there are more version of the series than the original Star Wars, so where should I start, and what possible remasters might be released in the future? I've got a Blu-ray player, and I live in Europe, for what it's worth - and iTunes for TV isn't available here.

I'd obviously prefer some remastered footage, but not if it's butchered like Star Wars or Ghost in the Shell 2.0.

I assume I'm supposed to start with the original TV show.

You want the Platinum Edition of the TV series. It remasters all the video and audio, and adds new footage to a few later episodes (like 10+ minutes worth, not just a few blink-and-miss-it bits).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Has there been any word on when the final Rebuild movie will be out?

It's not going to be anytime soon - Hideaki Anno's recently been directing Godzilla Resurgence for Toho.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

There's so much money lying on the table that the original series and EoE will be license rescued at some point, but until then there's no shame in pirating the blurays.

I'm really surprised NGE hasn't gotten a Blu-Ray release in recent years, especially with the Rebuild Movies coming out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DamnGlitch posted:

There are two episodes that have directors cuts, eps 23 and 24 I think. 23 especially has some pretty profound additions and is the version your should watch.

One of them has about 5-10 minutes of extra content, the other is nearly double the runtime of a regular episode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mederlock posted:

Hmm, thanks for the explanation of that. I think I'll let this one drop and not sully what I dug about the story in the anime.

Well, I'm looking for more stuff (preferably stuff that's already finished) to watch. Any recommendations for good comedy? I like nichijou, cromartie high, Sakomoto desu ga , that sort of stuff.

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. Watch the english dub, because it is magical.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I assume you're all not mentioning Cowboy Bebop's dub because it's so good it didn't need mentioning? :colbert:

AlternateNu posted:

PSWG is one of only four shows I feel are better with the English dub. It is basically an Adult Swim show that just happened to be written and animated in Japan.

The Japanese dub gets away with half it's own poo poo by skirting the regulations through putting the more... colourful... lines in english, along with a lot of text. The Japanese version is downright polite compared to the English dub.

Japanese
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9z9IQ14CSY&t=30s

English
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfmv7ZBpbAI

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drifter posted:

I just finished watching Prison School and thought that it was pretty amusing. The super big-titted vice-president girl was kinda overkill as far as the fanservice went, but I thought everything else was pretty fun.

There was a whole minor arc about a girl slowly going insane because of pee/exposure related issues that, granted, were it to happen in the real world would have been horrendous to everyone involved, but I found pretty hilarious in the show.

Funny story; there's a live-action series of Prison School :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a kitten posted:

Shimoneta.

Oh god, yes this :allears:. It's also titled "A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist."

And I am forever sad it doesn't seem to have gotten an english dub.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

No it's completely boring and unremarkable

As is Nobunagun, incidentally. Has a pretty art style, but just drops the ball on anything else and never rises above generic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ufarn posted:

How much better is the Blu-ray version of End of Evangelion? I've searched and searched, and I can't for the life of me find it in any shape nor form (in Europe/Region 2). Even the DVD is hard enough to track down as it is, but at least you couldn't be mislead to think it doesn't exist.

Then original Neon Genesis Evangelion doesnt have a Blu-Ray release outside Japan in any form iirc. Only the Rebuild movies do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shageletic posted:

I've gone through the wiki, and still going through the last ten pages of this thread, but still need to find something I can stream on Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu that is relatively new.

I'm a grown rear end man (who apparently has the need to mention it lol) not interested in anything to do with high school, comedy, or regular beat em up anime. I like relatively deep, sci-fi (it could be any genre), and mind-expanding animes that paint interesting worlds/mythology you want to dive in.

I found the wiki to primarily center on the former stuff. Stuff I've really liked in the past: Rahxephon, Redline, the manga Planetes, the mange Battle Angel Alita (before it veered off track), the manga Akira, any Miyazaki movie.

I'd be up for a manga recommendation as well. Thanks in advance.

Erased

Paranoia Agent (hell, anything by Satoshi Kon in general)

Serial Experiments Lain

Boogiepop Phantom

Ghost in the Shell. Any of it, but the original movie or Stand Alone Complex are good starting places.

Psycho-Pass

Steins;Gate. Watch the dub, it's fantastic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Little_wh0re posted:

I'm looking for suggestions for things like Kikis Delivery Service. The mundane mixed with the mystic. The slice of life nature of it. Ideally something you could describe as heartwarming. I've watched a fair amount of Ghibli and any I haven't are already on the list. Thanks!

Haibane Renmei.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RabidWeasel posted:

It's worth noting that the 2nd season is way darker than the first. It's more of a constant barrage of "nature is going to gently caress you up and your life is insignificant but you can reach a state of enlightenment where this doesn't bother you". Not that the 1st season is sunshine and rainbows but it seemed as though there were fewer happy endings in the 2nd season. Though if you're OK with that I'd argue that it's even better than the first (and better still if you enjoy experiencing the ineffable tragedy of the human condition).

What really stunned me in season 2 was Ginko is usually the first to try and strike a balance between humans and Mushi (where most Mushi-shi exterminate Mushi when they cause trouble for humans), and yet seeing that that one guy was chopping off women's heads so his plant-born daughter could use their bodies for many many years now just made him kick a lantern over to burn the motherfucker's house down without saying a word. :stare:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

oh, there's an anime of deltora quest, also. it exists literally because, according to the author of the books, her kids loved that japanese animation stuff

I always wondered why that existed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

J-Spot posted:

Is Birdy the Mighty Decode worth watching? I know absolutely nothing about it other than Funimation is losing the streaming rights.

Despite initial appearances, it is some legit fantastic sci-fi. It also doesn't pull punches when it has to go dark and bloody.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I didn't enjoy season 2 as much because it's more low-key than the Ryunka turning thousands of people to salt, and never escalates beyond "stop the criminals in hiding" but it is indeed some fantastic character-driven sci-fi.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Megachile posted:

I had a couple of years where I watched a bunch of anime and had a list of things I thought were really incredible from the medium. But for whatever reason I haven't watched anything new (other than Mushishi S2 and new Ghibli films) in a few years, and presumably there's a bunch of great new stuff out there.

I particularly liked things like Mushishi, Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex, Paranoia Agent, Tatami Galaxy, Planetes, Spice and Wolf, Haibane Renmei, Kino's Journey. A broad spread in terms of subject matter and flavor, but united by a toned-down, subtle approach aiming at "art" as much as "entertainment" (if that's not too crass of a dichotomy). I'm not against action, but let's say I'm somewhat averse to overt anime-isms (eg things like Attack on Titan or Madoka Magica are a bit much). What new stuff has come out in the past few years in the vein of those shows? Thanks!

Shame on all of you for no-one recommending Erased :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EGSunBro posted:

So I watched Flying Witch with a friend recently. He loved it but he's very new to anime, with that being his third ever, and he asked me if I knew any more slice of life shows that were completely about normal life and normal problems. I know of a couple such as Shirobako but they weren't quite what he was looking for. He wants a show about adults dealing with mundane relationship drama in a totally realistic world, he said he's trying to find the "mumble core" of anime.

Any shows that match that? I don't know slice of life very well.

Welcome to the NHK :unsmigghh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Somewhere Sanguine posted:

Looking for two types of shows.

2. Fantasy anime that doesn't star kids/teens.

Sorcerous Stabber Orphen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Jesus dude, maybe you don't like the guy but some things are going too far.

I liked it :colbert:.

The first season anyway, not the second one with digital animation. That was just tedious and I never made it past the first episode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

I may be mixing it up with the awful PS2 game

You should check it out if you haven't, it's a really fun fantasy adventure and the english dub is really good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Watch the dub for PSG, because it's even filthier. :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AnoHito posted:

Apparently that was actually one of the conditions for licensing it.

Repent, Motherfucker!

Wait, what? :suspense:

:munch:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detheros posted:

Hearing Monica Rial curse like a sailor will never get old. :allears:

Look, hooker, I'm trying to be loving nice :rolleyes:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That said, there is one bad part of the P&S Dub; Scanty and Kneesocks do not obey the RrrrrrRRRrrrruuuules.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Help Im Alive posted:

Important: did they keep tuturu in the dub

E: Oh and thank you for the recommendations everyone

Yes, and it will never leave your head.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Castle of Cagliostro.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Torquemadras posted:

You'll be happy to hear that the next episode is the best one of both seasons, then

Mind you, I have no idea how the story continues from that point, or how close it is to the manga to begin with, but right now I would murder for a S3... which hasn't happened for eight years and probably will never happen

Hey now, Blue Exorcist is getting a second season outta nowhere so anything's possible :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I started watching it and it's real good.

For years every time I heard the name "Birdy the Mighty" I figured it was some Fist of the North Star knockoff about an ugly brawler, probably by association with this dude:

needless to say, it is not that

Honestly I think Birdy's design is actually a real disservice to the show at-large, because at a glance it tends to look like the show is going to be something fan-service driven when it's anything but.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Check out the live-action Space Battleship Yamato movie too, it's prrtty drat good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kokoro Wish posted:

I liked Last Exile, but woo boy did that suffer from Gonzo Ending.

What was the whole point of Hourglass in SPAAAACE! anyway?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Davincie posted:

i've got no idea and having that part of the plot pretty much only make sense if you read the back of the dvd was retarded

To be mildly fair, you can at least tell something is not right with the world throughout the series due to the rust metal stanchions protruding from the ground and supporting every clifftop mesa, but that magic hourglass is just a complete disconnect from anything relative the show all you can do is :psyduck:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Furnaceface posted:

Also, I found out there were Persona 4 and Neptunia shows and watched them both. They were awful and I loved every last awkward minute of them, please tell me there is more stupid fun stuff like this.

Go watch Nichijou (if you don't mind subtitles) or Azumanga Daioh.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Higurashi definitely, maybe check out Another and Shiki.
You could try Lain and Boogiepop Phantom though the horror/mystery in those is of a much different kind.

The main-plot episodes of Boogiepop aren't great, but the standalone ones are some amazing examples of hosed-up psychological horror. I really need to sit down and give Lain another go too, because I've seen the first maybe two episodes and found it a shade too slow to enjoy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jimbot posted:

Yes because it's Lupin The 3rd and it's all fantastic.

Except the live-action film. Don't watch the live-action film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, can I ask for manga recs in here, or do we have a thread for that?

I'm looking for good sci-fi manga that's close to Ghost in the Shell/BLAME and ideally complete and not a gazillion dollars on amazon. (I prefer reading paper copies of manga, alas!)

Start with BiOmega or Knights of Sidonia. They're both by the guy who did BLAME!