Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Every Lupin thing that has ever existed is pretty well self-contained. Some of the more experimental ones don't give you quite the introduction to the five characters that would be appropriate for a first-timer, but you won't have a problem with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

unpronounceable posted:

I was interested in Flip Flappers before, but I didn't realize it was AOTY material.

I'm admittedly higher on it than a lot of folks, but if it sticks the landing in the last two eps (and I'm optimistic it will) then it'll be one of my all-time favorites - up there with utterly unique poo poo like Mushishi or Evangelion. It's super heavy on visual storytelling and leaving a lot specific character motivations in the realm of subtext rather than spelling them out explicitly, but if you're down for that, you're in for a really gorgeous, visually creative show with an extremely smart and empathetic coming-of-age story at its core, with pretty powerful themes of identity, emerging sexuality, and self worth. The main character is easily my favorite character of the year - she's how I imagine Shinji might be if Shinji actually had friends who loved him. The only things that I can really say against it are that there's a character or two who will probably wind up feeling kind of unneccessary and the fanservice - while often used to illustrate some of the show's thoughts on our heroine's emerging sexuality - occasionally crosses over into feeling gross and/or out of place.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

unpronounceable posted:

Do I need to watch other Lupin III stuff before jumping in?

Yes because it's Lupin The 3rd and it's all fantastic.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm admittedly higher on it than a lot of folks

hmm, you don't say

but yeah it's really good

you might be overselling it, though

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

you might be overselling it, though

Slight possibility.

It's fuckin' great though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jimbot posted:

Yes because it's Lupin The 3rd and it's all fantastic.

Except the live-action film. Don't watch the live-action film.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

A lot of the visual storytelling and subtext and imagination of flip flappers fades away in the second half so if it's the primary draw then you may end up disappointed.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've been watching some Mushishi and Natasume's Book of Friends, and it's reminding me how great anime can be. Have any more anime like this come out? Ones that are chill with a little bit of supernaturalness in it?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Seen Kino's journey?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zaphiel posted:

I've been watching some Mushishi and Natasume's Book of Friends, and it's reminding me how great anime can be. Have any more anime like this come out? Ones that are chill with a little bit of supernaturalness in it?

Flying Witch

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Seconding both of those

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The two you've been watching plus the two that have been recommended are the main shows I'd recommend to anyone who'd watched one of them and wanted more.

If you want to go more to the supernatural side of things, like the weirder parts of Mushishi, we have Mononoke (and the last arc of Ayakashi, which has the same lead character).

If you like the super chill pastoral parts of Flying Witch, Non Non Biyori is that but without any supernatural stuff.

Hotarubi no Mori e is just a short movie, but feels pretty much like a long episode of Natsume.

Kaiba is sci-fi rather than fantasy, but has a similar feel to Kino's Journey, and is directed by the always-fantastic Masaaki Yuasa. It develops a plot eventually, but a lot of the episodes are, "arrive at a strange world, see a glimpse of how it works and what that says about its inhabitants and humanity, move on." Very similar to Kino in that.

And oh yeah, Haibane Renmei! It probably fits the most squarely of my recommendations into the chill+supernatural slot, and it has fantastic music and a wonderfully moving ending too.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Kaiba is good but it gets a little hectic sometimes. Not sure if I'd call it chill.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

And oh yeah, Haibane Renmei! It probably fits the most squarely of my recommendations into the chill+supernatural slot, and it has fantastic music and a wonderfully moving ending too.

I always forget to recommend this even though it's my favorite. But yeah, this.

:hr::hr::hr:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Pavlov posted:

Kaiba is good but it gets a little hectic sometimes. Not sure if I'd call it chill.

It has a few pretty laid back moments but yeah the pacing is pretty frantic most of the time

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I've actually watched Kino's Journey, Kaiba, Haibane Renmei, Mononoke and Ayakashi.

I stalled on Non Non Biyori, but I should give it another try!

I'll try Hotarubi no Mori e and Flying Witch!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Seirei no Moribito is fairly chill for long lengths of time with the occasional bit of action and tension.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

Phobophilia posted:

Seirei no Moribito is fairly chill for long lengths of time with the occasional bit of action and tension.

........I own that too........ *sob*

Maybe I should just rewatch my anime instead of trying to find new ones....

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hey, can I ask for manga recs in here, or do we have a thread for that?

I'm looking for good sci-fi manga that's close to Ghost in the Shell/BLAME and ideally complete and not a gazillion dollars on amazon. (I prefer reading paper copies of manga, alas!)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, can I ask for manga recs in here, or do we have a thread for that?

I'm looking for good sci-fi manga that's close to Ghost in the Shell/BLAME and ideally complete and not a gazillion dollars on amazon. (I prefer reading paper copies of manga, alas!)

Start with BiOmega or Knights of Sidonia. They're both by the guy who did BLAME!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Start with BiOmega or Knights of Sidonia. They're both by the guy who did BLAME!

Hey, I had no idea Biomega existed and it looks rad, so - thanks!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Reading Nihei's other manga is a really great start as well as watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge18Ieyi9bI Junkhead. Are you interested in cyberpunk stuff in general or tonally similar stuff?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Junkhead is very good either way. And I hope the creator finds success because he is both immensely skilled and talented.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

muike posted:

Reading Nihei's other manga is a really great start as well as watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge18Ieyi9bI Junkhead. Are you interested in cyberpunk stuff in general or tonally similar stuff?

I'd prefer a sci-fi-esque backdrop (starships, weird futuristic architecture/landscapes, etc) but I am curious to see what you want to rec.

Checking out Junkhead now - thanks!

...Also, actually, to elaborate, in a sense I'm looking more for the setting/art - Black Magic and Orion by Masamune Shirow are great because of the art/setting - I love looking at visually complicated images filled with details and neat things, and that's honestly one of the biggest draws to manga as opposed to anime - you have to look into the really high-budget stuff anime-wise for super interesting looking backgrounds. Manga with good stories/characters are just bonuses, after that.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Check out Dorohedoro. As a big fan of the stuff you mentioned, it's probably my favorite manga. and by a former Nihei assistant! I assumed you've already dug into Berserk.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd prefer a sci-fi-esque backdrop (starships, weird futuristic architecture/landscapes, etc) but I am curious to see what you want to rec.

Checking out Junkhead now - thanks!

...Also, actually, to elaborate, in a sense I'm looking more for the setting/art - Black Magic and Orion by Masamune Shirow are great because of the art/setting - I love looking at visually complicated images filled with details and neat things, and that's honestly one of the biggest draws to manga as opposed to anime - you have to look into the really high-budget stuff anime-wise for super interesting looking backgrounds. Manga with good stories/characters are just bonuses, after that.

Have you read Akira?
Also Nausicaa, it's sci-fi, but it's not even a little cyberpunk, however the art and setting are practically unparalleled.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Nausicaa is super important if you're even at least alittle interested in things like Evangelion.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

muike posted:

Check out Dorohedoro. As a big fan of the stuff you mentioned, it's probably my favorite manga. and by a former Nihei assistant! I assumed you've already dug into Berserk.

Oooh, I've never heard of that - and it looks cool! I'll check it out. How badly is it unfinished? Is it Berserk-levels of "they're off the boat, but the mangaka will return next century", or more like HxH where there are good stopping points?

(I've checked out Berserk but can't say I'm into it - but that was years back, so who knows if I'll like it the next time I give it a whirl!)

a kitten posted:

Have you read Akira?
Also Nausicaa, it's sci-fi, but it's not even a little cyberpunk, however the art and setting are practically unparalleled.

I have not read Akira, and due to personal reasons probably won't.

Nausicaa, meanwhile - I think I saw the movie like a decade ago and don't remember it. Is this one where you want the movie or the manga?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Dorohedoro is not far off from the end and honeslty I would suggest it even if it was in a bberserk situation of habitual year long hiatuses.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Nausicaa, meanwhile - I think I saw the movie like a decade ago and don't remember it. Is this one where you want the movie or the manga?

It's a decent movie and launched the well known and influential Studio Ghibli.

It's an utterly fantastic manga that ranks with the greatest works of science fiction in any medium. Read it. :)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The nausicaa manga is incredible

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

And instead of paying out the nose for one volume at a time, Viz put it together in a gorgeous boxed set for 40$, which is the perfect price for something that strongly recommended. I'm going to wait to see if I get anymore giftcards for Christmas, but - thank you, guys. I had no idea there was more to Nausicaa than that movie. :D

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The boxed set is insanely good.

Exhibit A:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 25, 2016

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

muike posted:

Dorohedoro is not far off from the end and honeslty I would suggest it even if it was in a bberserk situation of habitual year long hiatuses.

It wasn't far from the end four years ago, I'll believe it's over hwen it's over

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The lengths Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is willing to go to have space submarines is kind of adorable.

I wasn't really feeling the show after the first 5-6 episodes, mostly on accounts of the characters seeming kinda flat, but another half dozen episodes later it's growing on me.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The lengths Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is willing to go to have space submarines is kind of adorable.

I wasn't really feeling the show after the first 5-6 episodes, mostly on accounts of the characters seeming kinda flat, but another half dozen episodes later it's growing on me.

I thought that sequence was fairly impressive. Yamato 2199's cast really does tend to get better as time goes on and all the key players actually start interacting with each other. The remake does a wonderful job of combining good overall execution with improved cast dynamics and increased political stakes too. It's a shame that there was no full legal release of the series in the U.S. though. I am hoping that changes with the upcoming sequel.

sameoldsong
Aug 1, 2013
Not sure if this is exactly the right thread for this, but I just finished and really enjoyed Darker Than Black season 1 and was curious what people think about whether the OVAs and/or season 2 are worth watching. I know season 2 has a bad reputation, but sometimes these things get overstated (I enjoyed Code Geass R2, for example).

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The OVAs are great, the second season...is not great. I still think positively of the series a a whole though! So, maybe S2 wasn't that bad in retrospect.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm watching JoJo's Bizarre adventure, when does it go from a Dead Serious Feud to Wacky [STAND] poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Turtlicious posted:

I'm watching JoJo's Bizarre adventure, when does it go from a Dead Serious Feud to Wacky [STAND] poo poo?

you are 25 episodes away from stands even being introduced as a concept but you have plenty of zombies and egyptian vampires until then