Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Might as well see if anyone knows what a particular manga was, then.

So, there's this older horror manga, set in a hospital, I think. Basically there was a zombie-ish virus thing released by archaeology or something, and a bunch of kids tried to escape as everyone else was infected. (I think the virus might have been weak to sunlight, but I'm less sure about that). Ending was the kids getting out... then it turned out the virus was outside too, and a bunch of zombies were lumbering towards them as we got a Butch and Sundance ending. Short, too, only a couple volumes.

Got an English localization (probably unofficial), but I can't find hide nor hair recently. Anyone have more luck than I did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

I gave this a shot when it first started airing and bounced hard. Tried again earlier this year with my brother bugging me to give it another shot and I still just cant get into it.

I think Ive seen this but its been a long time. I remember the ending being beyond depressing in more than just a "The bad guys win" way too.

Second first, yeah. The manga goes on after that, but the anime takes the already incredibly bleak manga arc ender, and doesn't show how Guts could get out of it, even though the first episode established the rest of the show as a flashback, meaning we know he survived somehow. It's not exactly a good time.

First second, fair enough. Mind if I asked what didn't work for you? Could help in pinpointing something that would.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

It’s fine you dont like it, and I wasn’t sold until the second season (I find the first very rough around the edges), but it’s one of the best written stories of the last decade easily.

Yeah, season 2 gives characters like Erwin, Reiner, and Ymir more focus, who really show off more layers than the initial trio. (Especially the season 1 trio. Especially the anime season 1 trio, where half of Mikasa's dialogue is replaced with just saying 'Eren'.)

The show's got some great cards in its hand, and looking back they're in play from season 1... but it takes time for it to show them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ulio posted:

Any anime similar to Demon Slayer, not necessarily in terms of the setting but action + production and seasonal anime(shorter seasons). I already have seen AoT, Blue Lock , Mob Psycho 100, OPM and Jojo, which I would consider in that vein.

I was wondering if Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man would fit this mold? Maybe the last Bleach Arc? Maybe Vinland Saga? I read the manga of that a long time ago and absolutely adored so I know the story of the 2 seasons. Maybe Bungou Stray Dogs or Fire Force?

Mainly looking for action( animes with good production/animation from last 5 years. So if any of those fit let me know.

Chainsaw Man has a 12 episode season and high production values, but the first season goes for more detailed character acting animation over flashy action scene when it has to pick. Still some amazing looking fights, but less showy effects.

JJK is better for the flashy parts, but it also is more meh on downtime scenes, especially with the nonstop fights of the second arc of the second season.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It's amazing, but the status quo is rarely upended. You learn more as it goes, but it's mostly still the same kind of grounded story.

I'd recommend it in general, but not in these circumstances.

Maybe Gunbuster and Diebuster? Gunbuster was the escalation champ until TTGL came around, and it's pretty fast at just 6 episodes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Banagher was in class once before they all died.
Amuro was in class once in Origin before the colony all died.
Al is in Elementary School and they didn't die.
Heero infiltrates a school episode 1 and ends it threatening to kill a girl for asking him to come to her birthday.
Kamille skips school to beat up people for misgendering him.

None of them save Al are actually in school all that long before something explodes.

There's also Flit going to school where he makes paranoid rants about how aliens are going to kill them all before the colony gets invaded and almost everyone dies.

And his son Asemu was going to have a school plot before AGE's writers got cold feet on the subject to just toss him in the military, resulting in the most successful arc in AGE.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Its me again!

Mostly in the mood for some campy horror. Thinking along the lines of Killer Klowns from Outer Space or Puppetmaster. Goofy and doesnt take itself too seriously, but still in the horror genre.

Would also take recommendations on classic horror stuff, like an anime version of American Werewolf in London or Silver Bullet.

You seen Paranoia Agent? It plays with a lot of tones over its runtime, but horror is a regular. It's not the most common genre in anime, mind, but that's a good one.

There's also Yamishiba if you want something quick. Variable quality and limited animation, but it's a little ghost story in just a couple minutes, then you're onto the next one.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

So my local theater plays some anime films every month and I've taken my friend who hasn't warched very much out to see two movies so far: Cowboy Bebop and then this past week we watched Paprika. He told me he really enjoyed both of them and said that he does want to try and tackle Eva at some point. I figure if he wants to try it I won't stop him but I'd still like to find some more film recommendations to try on him rather than TV series.

He told me that the things he really enjoyed about Paprika and Bebop were the vibes and the animation, which makes me think mood pieces might be a good fit. He's already down to watch Satoshi Kon's other movies if they play at the theater and I fully intend to strap him to a chair and Ludovico Technique him into enjoying Redline. Any other film suggestions based off what he said he likes?

Well, Ghost in the Shell is an obvious choice. It's very different from Bebop, and somewhat slower, but the vibes are similar and the animation is top shelf. Similarly, some Lupin (especially Castle) might be worth a look, just because the Lupin gang and the Bebop crew are long lost relatives. Time of Eve also might be worth a look, depending on how he takes to Ghost in the Shell, since it's pretty talky. (Jin-Roh is even talkier. I love it, but it's definitely not something for someone who wants to keep to kinetic anime.) Maybe The Night is Short, Walk on Girl for the kinetic visuals, Penguin Highway for something else by the same author, or (longshot) Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamis, although that one has some content you might want to screen beforehand.

Oh, Miyazaki's a gimmee, but Princess Mononoke sounds like it should work.

For an upcoming film, Look Back is likely to get a US release this year, and that seems like it'll be a great adaptation, so that might work.

Any of that help?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Srice posted:

This is a topic where I could endlessly recommend stuff but in the interest of keeping the focus narrow I'll throw out the following: On-gaku, Blue Giant, Pompo the Cinephile, and all of Yuasa's movies.

Oh, yeah. Should have thought of Pompo! Seconding that one. Managed to see it in theaters, really was a good time.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

About once every year I get a craving to check out a Ghibli film, anyone have any suggestions on that front? I've already seen Mononoke, Howl and Valley of the Wind - not quite sure if I want to tackle Boy and the Heron just yet, I feel like I want to check out some of their older stuff first.

It's only proto-Ghibli, but Valley of the Wind might be worth a look.

I got my start with the Kiki dub, so I have some affection for that, but if we're looking for the best, there's always Spirited Away. Rock solid all-rounder.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

rec me a manga along the lines of:

shuzo oshimi's works (happiness, aku no hana, blood on the tracks, etc)
punpun/eri
scums wish

Well, it doesn't go near as far, but the author of Scum's Wish is doing the art for Oshi no Ko, and it occasionally has reminders of that fact.

Probably a dumb question, but you read any Tatsuki Fujimoto? He's got more of a pulp sensibility a lot of the time, but the whole "examining very damaged people and their coping mechanisms" bit is the focus of a lot of his manga.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Water is very important in Grand Blue, drink this glass of it.

Sure. Let me just get out my lighter first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

symbolic posted:

Gunbuster
Gunsmith Cats
Slayers

Gunbuster's from the 80s.

Patlabor managed to continue into the 90s, though. Giant Robot police comedy, with a lot of time and gags spent trying to deal with the consequences of using giant robots in urban settings.