Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

"Watch it, it's really good :D"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

oh like other shows? working!! probably

if you want something that goes along with shirobako's themes, maybe space brothers?

can't really think of anything that fits shirobako completely :D

Linnaeus fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 14, 2015

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Droyer posted:

Isn't there some other anime about making anime?

I know there is one about making manga (denki-gai) but shirobako is just so much better than it that I hesitate to recommend it...

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

why did netflix remove nhk...

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Guess you're no longer welcome :v:.

wooooow

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

you should watch anohana if you haven't already

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

epitasis posted:

hello friends they ran me out of the vita thread for trying to make it my anime chat thread. I would like a show to watch, if it is easily accessible on netflix or crunchyroll then all the better. doubly better if it has dubs so I can watch while playing video games but subs are fine too

really good:
welcome to the nhk
fate/stay night
steins;gate (the vn anyway)

also good:
my teen romantic comedy snafu
fate/zero
madoka

good video game viewing:
sword art online

eh:
the one where theres a death jr and a girl with a sickle
jojos

bad:
death note

I am pro-babes and anti-giant robots. thank you

since you thought nhk was really good, you can try tatami galaxy. no dub though

for dub shows, i would recommend baccano and durarara. durarara is on cr, and i think baccano is on netflix

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

epitasis posted:

cool I will try some of these eps later, thanks yall

have fun :D

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Jose posted:

what are some good films to watch?

the last i saw was either redline or paprika and i've only seen a few. akira/gits obviously and then jin-roh and spriggan years ago and obviously a bunch of ghibli stuff and probably some more i don't remember

The Castle of Cagliostro

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Radio Spiricom posted:

mind game, gauche the cellist, genius party & genius party beyond, angels egg, urusei yatsura: only you & urusei yatsura beautiful dreamer, royal space force: the wings of honneamise, macross: do you remember love?, bonjour galaxy express 999 & adieu galaxy express 999, the sky crawlers, neon genesis evangelion: the end of evangelion, rebuild of evangelion, patlabor 1 & patlabor 2, adolescence of utena, puella magi madoka magica the movie 3: rebellion, the disappearance of haruhi suzumiya

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

evangelion, and the kyoani movies

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Pavlov posted:

But wouldn't the people watching K-ON have to stop touching their little things in order to reflect on them?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

If anyone has seen it yet, was anthem of the heart any good?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Darker than Black was cool. I don't recommend watching the second season though

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Also the soundtrack is by yoko kanno :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSAMDEQLdgg

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I don't remember, I haven't seen the show in a long time

I remember liking the Go Dark song though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjIWunRsdVM

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Anime must be a dangerous hobby then

It's a little death

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

I played the game instead of watching the anime but is there any other cool time travel stuff like Steins;Gate (I think the only one I've seen is The Girl Who Leapt Through Time + I've read Qualia the Purple)

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

I have to admit I was hoping for something longer than this but I guess I enjoyed it

haha, I couldn't really think of anything other than haruhi

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Endless Eight is actually very good.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

No but I watched the first 2 episodes. They were very bad.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Davincie posted:

a letter to momo?
mind game and other yuaasa anime?
tekkon kinkreet?

This. I didn't like hosoda's other movies though.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Mostly because actual Ghibli has kind of been garbage for a while.

It's only been 2 years since their last great movie!!!!

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Unironically this but I know orv has already seen it

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Much better choice.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

Ok, cool thanks.

So I have a hard time keeping up with what's recent and good. I'm watching One Punch Man(because it's what basically EVERYONE is talking about) right now and loving it but that's not going to last me very long. The last thing I watched was Attack on Titan(because for a while it was also what everyone was talking about), loved it too of course. So the other recommendations I'm looking for are just anything that's relatively recent and good/popular. The anime I tend to like usually has some kind of competition or war, whether that be physical(Hajime No Ippo) or mental(Death Note) though it can range in mature content level, for example I really enjoy Naruto, but I also really enjoy Berserk. Here's a list of anime I've watched and liked a lot to give you an idea of what I'm looking for...

Naruto
Berserk
Hajime No Ippo
Basilisk
Death Note
Attack on Titan
Seirei no Moribito
Sword Art Online

Also I'd like to get people's opinion on some older shows that I never got around to watching or only watched a few episodes of, it's possible that I should push myself to watch those because I'm missing out on great stuff

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Code Geass
Claymore
One Piece (often recommended because I love Naruto, watched a few eps to the first boss fight, liked it enough, but didn't feel the pull to continue)
Bleach (watched a few eps, but couldn't get into it)
Black Lagoon(I actually watched about 3-4 episodes of this, it was good for what it was, but I didn't feel the pull to continue)
tengen toppa gurren lagann (watched 1-2 few eps, couldn't get into it)

For the older shows, watch evangelion and code geass.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I turned it off five minutes into the first episode

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

This. There was also the third season of working and osomatsu-san

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I'm looking for shows that parody by copying famous scenes, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edt4LaYTBqQ

The only other such anime I can think of is gintama

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

The best anime ever can't be streamed anywhere :eng99:

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Davincie posted:

hackadoll does a bunch but i dont recall if all of them are as 1:1 as this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8uE6ybP_sw

the other suggestions i can't guarantee a 1:1 but they do a lot of that sort of parody so there's probably a few in there

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi has a whole bunch of parodies, but its old enough that i can't google to find if it did any 1:1s but it probably did

lucky star does initial d

nyaruko does a million but a large percentage of them are tokusatsu jokes. still, there's an entire blog dedicated to picking out the refs http://nyaruref.blogspot.com/

also not really anime, but the live action manga adaption aoi honoo op is just a bunch of anime refs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bebQHyqE5X0
the actual show has a ton too

Thanks! I'll check out hackadoll and aoi honoo, already seen lucky star and nyaruko multiple times

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

I want something funny and action-y and dubbed in english.
Cyberpunk is awesome.

Things I've liked!

One Punch Man
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Black Lagoon
FLCL
The Devil is a Part Timer
Yu Yu Hakusho
.hack//SIGNS
.hack//Liminality
.hack//Legend of Twilight
.hack//ROOTS
Fullmetal Alchemist

Things I didn't like

Tokyo Ghoul (the second season)
Gundam
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Naruto
One Piece
Is it Ok to pick up girls in a dungeon? <<< I hated this.
Tactics

Hunter x hunter is on toonami now, and it's from the same author as yu yu hakusho

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Japex posted:

Things I Like:
Anohana
Paranoia Agent
The Lost Village
Kokoro Connect
Spirted Away
Paprika
Howl's Moving Castle
Grave of Fireflies
My Neighbor Totoro
When Marnie Was There
Speed Grapher
NANA
Ergo Proxy
Shinreigari: GHOST HOUND
Cowboy Bebop
Time of Eve
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Usagi Drop
Welcome to the NHK
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Since you liked paprika and paranoia agent, you can try out satoshi kon's other movies, like perfect blue and millennium actress.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

a kitten posted:

congratulations

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

and

!!!!!

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nichijou > nichibros.

:yeah:

but the guy's already seen it

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I'm looking for an anime with a great main character duo. The characters are cool on their own but the show gets really good whenever they're on screen interacting with each other. Some examples would be sousuke & chidori, isaac & miria, kurisu & okabe, and gon & killua. Basically, two characters with an interesting relationship that's fun to watch.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Big O, Kekkaishi, plus there are like half a dozen romcoms that probably fit these criteria since that's basically how they work.

e: oh and Mirai Nikki, especially the mock wedding episode

Yeah the big o was good and what I'm looking for. I'll check out kekkaishi then, but I didn't like what I saw of mirai nikki.

Bongo Bill posted:

Legend of Galactic Heroes

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Cory in the Blouse posted:

I just finished Jojo Part 4 and I liked it for the most part. Really I'm just looking for something with good energetic likeable characters in an action/adventure setting.

Stuff I've liked a lot so far:

Jojo - Primarily part 2 (I liked all of it, but 2 was the best). I did like how innovative some of the stands were in 3/4 and curmudgeonly, racist grandpa joseph rules, but it doesn't get much better than a wisecracking jerkass fighting god. Jojo can be pretty bleak and violent but overall it's zany enough that the overall tone is light, which is what I'm looking for.
Black Lagoon: It's basically just a dumb action movie. I wish the main character went through more growth over the series, but he started as a shinji type character so what can you do.
TTGL - Hot blooded robot punching at its finest, though I could have done without the fanservice
FLCL - Liked it, but it was a bit too "random" for me. I guess I don't "get" it. or I'm thinking too hard about it.
Kill La Kill - More for the supporting cast than anything else. I don't really care about seeing boobs and butts. The Zeni guy and Gamagoori ruled.
Panty and Stocking - I don't even know if this even really counts as anime, but it owned, the soundtrack was incredible, and there was actually very little fanservice despite the entire show being about sex and indulgence.
Dirty Pair Project Eden: Like half the animated shots in this are just generic computer/machine/science bullshit and I love it. Explosions, no plot, cool scientist bad guy, insanely good 80s music. A+
Haven't you Heard? I'm Sakamoto - I actually watched all of this. I normally don't like high school settings or gag anime, but this did everything just right.
Mobile Fighter G Gundam: I don't want a bunch of whiny 14 year old kids and nonsensical plot/religious imagery getting in the way of my silly robot punching.
Tonkatsu DJ - No explanation needed

That's a lot of :words: to say I just want something weird but energetic like Food Wars! without the fanservice and less highschooly. I want a character who is already cool and his or her character arc is to become cooler, not to turn from a wimp to a badass.

I recommend trying out Baccano, Hellsing Ultimate, Cowboy Bebop, and One Piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Mederlock posted:

What show is dat

Hunter x Hunter

The Colonel posted:

these characters are both mass murderers

This kid is a badass assassin