Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Srice posted:

Please do not slander the fire sisters, tia

Admittedly, Kaiki already does a superior job of that

Kaiki best girleverything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Okay, after 9 episodes or so, I feel confident in saying: Symphogear is good

It's just so earnest in what it does! At first I thought the squeaky pool noodle disco monsters where dumb, but now they seem like a perfect fit for it. Goddamn. It really doesn't look to have much of a budget (first season at least), but I hope they keep ramping this up. I want to see stuff destroyed. Also, red-haired kungfu dude is my hero.

Favorite scene of the entire show so far:

:madmax: "I'm here to help you!"
:stare: "NO I'LL NEVER TRUST ADULTS AGAIN"
* jumps out of window, transforms, buttrock blares *

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Symphogear is BY FAR the dumbest anime I've ever watched, and it's awesome

Everybody is incredibly stupid, has the most ridiculously anime motivations and the hammiest of lines. It is pure anime.

I'm at episode 10 now. If the finale of the first season is any indication, this is gonna get good. Already got one attempted moon dunk. I've got a bottle of vodka ready, let's do this :dance:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Behold! I am now both recommending an anime AND asking for a recommendation, in a single post!

I just finished Tiger & Bunny and oh man you guys it's great. :toot: I gotta admit, I didn't even like the action that much (with some stellar exceptions - oh man, Jake :allears: ), and I wasn't really a fan of that part of the finale where most of the cast heroically does absolutely nothing - but overall, it's just so absurdly well-done! This has definitely one of, if not THE most likable cast I've seen so far, holy poo poo. The show just gets their goofy characters. Really an incredibly entertaining team dynamic, and I loved the episodes where the other heroes got the spotlight. I would unironically watch a superhero sitcom like this. (Might be part of the reason why I like One-Punch Man so much, too.) Also, while the CGI isn't all that great at times, they pull off some great scenes and designs with it, like Lunatic! Great show.

And now the part where I ask for a recommendation. Are the movies worth it? I heard that the second one (Rising) is a sequel, so I guess I'll check that one out sooner or later; what about the first one? Pretty much sounded just like another recap movie, but you never know...

Help me, I need more Tiger & Bunny!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Well, thanks to this thread, I've watched Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

I love it! The characters animation seems quite static in places, and I have a totally unreasonable hatred for all the Iscander characters, but oh boy, that sure is a show about a real fuckin awesome battleship fighting space nazis. I love the space battles. The ships are awesome, the technobabble is fun, the strategies are great, and I love the old school laser sounds. Got the biggest possible :haw: grin during episode 25.

"They cannot possibly shoot at us! Beam weapons don't work in here!"
"OH poo poo THEY'RE FIRING ACTUAL ARTILLERY SHELLS"

I also appreciate that it's not just dumb evil nazis on the antagonist's side, there's all sorts, including downright decent dudes watching out for their men, handsome rogues with a SPACE SUBMARINE, rebels - and still cartoonishly evil nazis, because those guys make great villains.
Also butts. So many butts. Including one instance of incredibly blatant robot butt. Bless you, Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

What other shows are there with incredible displays of badass men/women staring each other down and pulling off amazing strategies? Doesn't have to be space, doesn't have to be sea, doesn't matter. I want a badass crew on a badass vessel.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Well, thanks to whoever recommended Birdy the Mighty: Decode. I've just run out of episodes to watch. That was not only much better than expected, but also genuinely great.

S1 was ok. Likable cast, especially the sleazy journalist, and all of Shyalaman's drivel was worth it for how he goes out, but I didn't like Sayaka very much. Also, GODDAMN YOSHIE, I did not feel sorry for her. Overall, the dynamic of the main duo was great, and there were some tremendous fight scenes, so I wanted to watch S2 as well. There's two episodes which really stand out to me as the best - and both are somewhat isolated from the rest of the plot: the first on Birdie's home planet with the insane Anubis alien dude, and the one with the hugging puppet which is sudden excellent horror out of nowhere. Fun, but hm. Also, I expected a lot more skeeviness than there actually was! (Positive or negative? I'll never tell)

Then, there's S2.
:stare:
Still can't get the opening theme out of my head. Really, REALLY good look at the devastation of S1, great "villains", and possibly the greatest gag of the show with the fate of the bird alien girl from S1. :haw: Really worth it for the super-distorted fight scenes - now THAT'S what two super aliens duking it out should look like, holy poo poo! The style looked really familiar - could that be the same dude behind similar scenes in OnePunch Man and Mob Psycho 100?

Aaaaand now I've run out of show. Too bad - S2 had a great conclusion, but the story is obviously not finished (there's still Revi and Gomez AKA "Worst Anime Moustache" out there). I suppose there's the (...several?!) mangas out there, anyone read those?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

You'll be happy to hear that the next episode is the best one of both seasons, then

Mind you, I have no idea how the story continues from that point, or how close it is to the manga to begin with, but right now I would murder for a S3... which hasn't happened for eight years and probably will never happen

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Watamote.

It's not an action series or anything, it's about about a girl who is like, the embodiment of 4chan(and thus a walking fuckup), and how she interacts with the world at large. Apparently based on the author's real life experiences, which...yikes. depending on how much you relate to her, it can be downright cringe-inducing, but her character growth as the series progresses is legitimately one of my favorites of all time. Even now, she's still kuroko, still fucks up in ways that she did at the start, but she has learned from her life experiences and tried to better herself over the course of the series. It's really good. Either go into the manga straight away or watch the anime adaptation and then continue on into the manga. I'd love more of the manga to be adapted but I dunno if that'd ever happen.

Well, I did not watch the anime, but I did go through a lot of the manga based on this recommendation and

Well

Is Kuroki slooooowwwwlyyy transforming from a black-hearted, bitter, jealous, foul-mouthed loner to a foul-mouthed loner who constantly trolls everyone around her in delightfully childish and stupid ways

I absolutely love stories with utterly dysfunctional people

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Yes and also she has actually made good, genuine friends but is still her idiot self and so she occasionally says really stupid poo poo to them and gets blown up for it

So the humor is still there, it's just slightly different.

Cool, cool

Really enjoying this one a whole lot. Much more than Komi-San Can't Communicate, honestly. I always appreciate stories where characters can be just total mean-spirited assholes to each other, while still, miraculously, making them and their worldview relatable somehow

That whole chapter of her thinking she could join in on the nerds playing videogames, only to end on her gleefully staying home, happy she could avoid becoming like THOSE losers :smith:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Wow, that's some really heartwarming anime on this page

Anyway I'm looking for some horror

Not necessarily gory or overall kill-happy, just generally horrifying in SOME way, through implications or otherwise. Labyrinthine plots and awesome creature designs are a plus. I generally liked the Kara no Kyoukai movies (with the exception of certain hella bad characters... you know exactly who) and Texhnolyze (if you wanna count that as horror - sure had great horrifying stuff, though); I really liked the almost offhanded terrifying stuff of Kaiba; Shiki was kinda cheap-looking, but I appreciated how the plot turned incredibly bleak AND bonkers at the same time.

There's another notable one where I don't know the name; it took place in a village where people are starting to have murderous delusions, and there's multiple iterations with the same cast, each time someone else going mad. Turns out it's a time loop, and one character is aware of it and tries to break out (also, there's a ghost). Looked really cheap, too, but I appreciated how it kept hiding plot details and called back to them much later. I remember the ending being kinda TOO good overall, but hell, I suppose they've earned it. Can't find the title for the live of me, tho.

...and I loving love Madoka, if you didn't guess that already, and I'm totally counting that as horror too

Is there anything close to this out there?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

HenryEx posted:

Dunno about the rest you mentioned because i think i never finished it, but this sounds like Higurashi no naku koro ni (localized to When They Cry, i think). It's structured into like 8 different arcs or something. The anime aged pretty badly, cuz it was done by a budget studio i think

Yeeeessss, Higurashi it was

Really not a good-looking show. But I liked the mystery quite a bit. Also,

Dias posted:

Higurashi has a bomb-rear end OP song BTW.

Confirming this, now that I looked up Higurashi again

smenj posted:

From The New World, if you haven’t already seen it? Not precisely horror, but definitely unsettling and bleak for the most part. Excellent show in general also, and a really good ED.

Just one thing regarding the first half - there was a guest director who did two episodes (can’t remember which), and I found them pretty clearly worse than the rest. If you think the show’s fallen off a cliff randomly at some point in the first 12 episodes, that’s probably why, so worth sticking with it for a bit rather than dropping it if that puts you off.

I actually started this one! And, holy poo poo, I DID have the impression that it fell off a cliff at some point, because everything looked like garbage and I just didn't care about loving molepeople and how the lessons humanity learned from bonobo monkeys made teenagers horny. (I don't even think I'm that far off actual events in the show.)
Maybe worth powering through???

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

sinky posted:

Mononoke is good. And on crunchyroll.

Gunslinger Girl isn't supernatural at all but has those horrifying implications :smith:

Mushishi is sometimes real spooky, and always great.

From a first glance, Mononoke is TOTALLY my jam. Trippy visuals and crazy shots, I'm digging this

smenj posted:

As mentioned above, Perfect Blue is also a good horror film. The same director (Satoshi Kon) did a series called Paranoia Agent which has psychological horror vibes. Haven't seen that one myself yet, but I've heard great things.

Actually, I do! I really liked Paranoia Agent - all of Satoshi Kon's works, really. Not sure why I haven't grouped that as "horror" in my head, even his tamest stuff has some DEEPLY unsettling things in it. Paranoia Agent in particular had some incredibly disgusting characters in it, holy poo poo.

Paracelsus posted:

My friend, have you ever seen SaiKano (aka She, The Ultimate Weapon)?

.......nooooooooo?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

HenryEx posted:

Mix it up with Sekiro instead.

Dark Souls has a wolf with a sword in its mouth. Ergo: Dark Souls is more anime than Demon's Souls.
Bloodborne has swish swoosh dashing and mid-fight powerups with energy aura and everything. Ergo: Bloodborne is even more anime than Dark Souls.
Sekiro has motherfuckin ninjas and jutsus and monkeys and evil parents who are suddenly not dead anymore and farting lightning out your nippon steel and huffing dank carp juices to reach a divine hangout. Ergo: Sekiro is the most anime.

Checks out

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Status report: Mononoke was an incredibly good recommendation. It's perfect

Stylish, almost incomprehensibly weird storytelling, kinda horrifying even when you don't see anything, cool monsters AND mystery! I'm really liking this mixture of mystery, abstract stuff and occasional terror. That first story arc was nice. Also, I loving love that fakeout with the medicine seller's transformation, just BAM cut to next scene as soon as the sword comes out, hahahaha

Turns out I love weird shows, yay

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

sinky posted:

There's also three more episodes that came out before the series in Ayakashi.
You'll probably have to :filez: it

Well

Turns out I've been utterly, completely owned by my past self

Because I just discovered I had asked in this exact same thread, almost four years ago, for horror anime, had Mononoke recommended, watched it & loved it. Which is starting to dawn on me.

On the upside: I seem to have accomplished the legendary feat of enjoying a great show, forgetting almost completely about it, then enjoying it again until memory finally sets in. Guess I'll give Kuchu Buranko a spin, then! :v:

And while I'm at the topic of stuff I asked about 4 years ago: anybody got an opinion on the Monogatari series? I think I watched it until the movies (???) were supposed to come out. Last event I remember is snake girl turning into a god, then getting owned by the greatest character of the entire show and somethingsomething math girl. While I utterly loathed certain characters, I always thought the series was supremely stylish, and I particularly enjoyed the shenanigans of what seemed to be a recurring multi-arc villain (Google tells me it's Ougi). Without much of spoilers, are the movies/continued seasons worth it?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hello thread! It's that time again. I'm looking for a new show to pick up. Maybe you've got some recommendations for me.

Shows I enjoyed:
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (well, duh. Perfect blend of incredibly cruel twists, characters in a downward spiral, and the best use of time travel I've ever seen)
FLCL
One Punch man (1st season... hooooooo boy it looks FANTASTIC)
Land of the Lustrous (utterly alien, great action, fantastically depressing)
Blood Battle Blockade (fantastic absolutely-everything-exists-and-is-terrifying world, wonderfully dark humour)
Kaiba (melancholic and terrifying while looking cartooney as heck)
Ping-Pong (I absolutely do not care about sports shows, but this one is just stylish to no end, with some really satisfying character arcs)
Michiko to Hatchin (great fun. I remember the episode with the hitmen on the highway especially well)
Space Dandy (gorgeous show, lots of crazy scifi stuff. I love these absolute idiots)
Birdy the Mighty (mostly due to the 2nd season. I'd heard people praise S2, so I powered through S1; I had no idea just HOW fantastic it is, the finale really stuck with me. Totally worth the bland S1, totally unexpected)
Baccano! (admittedly, I feel like this show can basically not be watched twice, because I feel like it gains so much from that wonderful feel of a thousand puzzle pieces being thrown at you until it somehow makes sense... I think I just like shows that overwhelm you with multiple frantically changing plots presented in a stylish manner)

Shows I really hated:
Re-Zero (I'm a sucker for time travel of all sorts, but I kinda hated the MC with a passion... Also looked like very generic fantasy universe)
Darling in the Franxxx (to be honest, I really liked the first half, but that's why the utter failure of the second half stings that much more - horrible character arcs, wasted potential everywhere, and an insultingly unearned lesson everyone spouts at the end)
Steins;Gate (this specific brand of humour did not work on me. At all. Plus, most characters were just plain annoying)
Violet Evergarden
Attack on Titan (somehow, I thought this was way worse than as a manga. Felt extremely melodramatic)
Durarara (watched this because of Baccano, didn't feel like it had the same charm. The highschoolers sucked)

I do plan on watching all of Jojo eventually, and I'm really enjoying Eizouken which is ongoing right now... Sadly, the new Madoka show seems rather generic and disappointing, I might just drop that one. :/

Any ideas?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

Is there anything in particular you are looking for right now?

Not anything in particular, I'm open to trying new stuff. Looking at my list, I guess I mostly like sad/terrifying stuff in unusual settings, the more stylish the better. Bonus points if there's mystery/utter confusion at the start.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Julias posted:

In terms of recent shows i'd definitely reccomend Beastars and Dorohedoro.

Girl's Last Tour might be another solid pick. And if you liked One Punch Man I'd definitely reccomend Mob Psycho 100, by the same mangaka, though it takes a couple of episodes to pick up in my opinion.

I've actually heard of Dorohedoro before! Posted right alongside everybody else when the last few manga chapters wrapped up. No idea how they could get that style to work in animation, but I'll check it out. And Beastars, too. I THINK I got started on From the New World some time back, but I think I bounced off of it pretty fast - I think I got to an early episode where a holographic slug kept throwing exposition at kids? That may just be the infamous bad episode people kept mentioning in this thread, maybe it gets better.

I know absolutely nothing about Girl's Last Tour, so clearly that means I have to watch it now immediately. :v:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

a kitten posted:

Madoka Magica

Madoka Magi-

gently caress

I've got the avatar, I WAS SUPPOSED TO SAY THIS

:(

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

In that case, I'll recommend the great show Kaiba, leaving you to wonder if it's really my favorite show or if I just offered a half-truth, since I never outright said Kaiba would be my #1

That way, I can recommend an extremely good anime, be very salty AND stay in character

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Anybody know some good shows with a really strong finale?

I'm feeling kinda disappointed by some recent shows, which ended on a rather lackluster note. (Looking at you, BNA.) So might as well tap into the hivemind to benefit from hindsight.

If I had to give examples, it'd probably be Tatami Galaxy, Baccano!, Madoka (duh), Mind Game (movie, but whatever), Ping Pong... Something that's just catharsis straight into my veins

I'll happily be spoiled for any shows with promising starts and poo poo endings

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

klapman posted:

hey rec thread it's me, the guy who says Monster

Oh hi Monster guy

LoGH guy was here just before you

Tales of Woe posted:

i really liked shiki's finale but that one's probably more ymmv than most

So do I, actually! I really liked how neatly most things were resolved.

Some nice recommendations, I think I'll check out Akanesasu Shojo and Gridman first! I've always meant to get into mecha anime somehow, but Iron-Blooded Orphans really lost me once they got into space. (And the less said about Darling in the Franxx the better.)

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

The only Gundam show I ever tried watching was Iron-Blooded Orphans, and that one kinda didn't do it for me. I liked the start with all the tank/mech battles on the planet, but after the initial action, the characters felt terribly bland, and I didn't like the space battles at all. I had heard it goes full-on nasty and tragic later on, but I'm not too keen on enduring 30+ episodes for that...

I really enjoyed Gurren Langan's take on mech fights, even when they took to space; Gunbuster/Diebuster was pretty rad; Giant Robo has genuinely amazing mech scenes. No idea if any Gundam series goes in that direction.

On an entirely unrelated note: I just finished Durarara x2 and genuinely loving hated almost everything related to the school kid characters. Show felt all over the place, too many subplots got dropped, way too many chat scenes, kinda eeeeeh character designs. Show should've just centered on Celty and maaaayyyyybeeeee Shizuo.

So here's a warning, rather than a recommendation, I guess?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On the subject of Netflix anime, Sirius the Jager's also well worth a watch if you want to see werewolf-vs-vampire action in the 1910's.

I remember starting that one; the cast was pretty good, the action was rad, the plot was incredibly stupid in an entertaining way. I was just kinda annoyed that nobody except the hero seemed allowed to have any action scenes, ever. They seemed too cool for hanging around with protagonist man #2351.

Do they ever get any sweet action stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

arsegrit posted:

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Either is good. I've read and equally liked books about post-apocalyptic detectives and universe-ending space fleet battles.

Watch Space Dandy.

It's goofy as gently caress, it doesn't give a drat about consistency, it gets wildly experimental, there are a ton of guest writers/directors, it has incredible animation, and many times it takes a fun scifi concept and goes loving WILD with it.

The humor may not be for everyone, the show doesn't really care about continuity, and it gets kinda horny at times, but I love it for its cast of utter idiots and its wild imagery.

Also featuring the best time loop episode I've ever seen