Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I just binge read Grand Blue over a day and watched the anime over another. Are there other series about whacky university hijinks out there? Seems most stuff is high-school-based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I should probably have mentioned that I found that the funniest bits were the guys being absolute bastards to each other :v: Yes, I have already watched Konosuba.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Looking for some more fun romcoms to read/watch after catching up to We Never Learn, Quintessential Quintuplets and Tomo-chan. Already watched Wotakoi, might check out the manga version. I've also already watched Gamers! and plan to watch MMO Junkie and Tsuredure Children. Any other suggestions? Either medium works for me, and I don't really mind setting, but more working-life ones like Wotakoi would be appreciated to break up the constant high-school setting.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

So insanely good :allears:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Looking for some good character drama (but not melodrama) anime series after binging through Bloom Into You. Was thinking either Tsuki ga Kirei or Sound! Euphonium after I finish off Tsurezure Children, which one should I watch first?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I started with Tsuki, if only because it was shorter :v: Enjoying it 2 episodes in at least. Having seen gifs of Euphonium and wanting to prep for Liz and the Blue Bird once it becomes available to me, Euphonium is definitely up next.

Rakugo is already in my to-watch list, I'll fit it in somewhere in my KyoAni/PA Works spree.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

A Silent Voice is a good tear-em-up.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

A Place Further Than The Universe, Liz and the Blue Bird

Whilst Liz was a masterpiece, I'm not sure if its brand of quiet drama is particularly tearjerking in either direction.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

I mean, it made me cry

Fair enough, I guess.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

In the same vein, Sakura Quest pretty much has 0 sexy scenes. Haven't watched it yet but I'd assume Hanasaku Iroha is similar in that regard.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

Iroha is great, seriously fantastic, but it has several risque scenes early on, particularly when introducing the writer character, and a number of obligatory bathing scenes throughout that would be excruciating to have to try to explain to some HR drone.

Yeah, I need to get around to it so that I can say that I've watched the entirety of PA Work's working life trilogy :v: I really enjoyed the other two (see avatar), so I'm betting that I'll love Iroha too.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

Woah woah what’s the third? (Please not glasslip)

Iroha, Shirobako and Sakura Quest.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

I haven’t heard of Sakura quest. I’ll have to check it out. Last pa works show I checked out was about half of kuromakuro and it wasn’t hitting like iroha / shirobako

It came out early 2017 or so? If you're interested in a story about rural revitalisation and the work that goes into that you'd probably enjoy it like I did.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I hear Scum's Wish definitely fits the melodrama bill.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Capital Letdown posted:

I finished Hajime No Ippo and am looking for something along those lines - something about a plucky young bastard with a heart of gold just training his rear end off to be the best he can be.

On that sense, I also watched Hunter x Hunter and similarly loved it for it's insanity and mayhem ... but also about those plucky young bastards with hearts of gold just training their asses off in a world where Cell likes to play board games.

I don't have a whole lot else to go off of but ... maybe I love sports anime? I'm not sure!

Run With The Wind to watch 10 good boys train their hearts out. 10!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Captain Hotbutt posted:

This might be a hyper-vague or weird recommendation request.

I'm looking for a show or movie where the characters solve their problems through being good people, or the issues they face don't necessarily facilitate the characters being terrible to each other. Maybe they learn to be a team, and they don't backstab each other to achieve their goals. They basically have to do the right thing, and they choose to do it with their buds being by their side.

It sounds like I'm asking for conflict-free, lovely plotless anime, but that's not the case. The closest thing I can think of is Brooklyn 99. The characters have their disagreements, but at the end of the day, they still come through because they like each other. I'm a little burnt-out on backstabbing secretly-evil characters, or everyone just being lovely to service a plot.

Gonna sound like a broken clock here, but Run with the Wind.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hot tip: don't mix up Saikano with Saekano.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I read Ookami Shounen and it was an extremely good romcom-drama that doesn't overstay its welcome (though I do wish that we got to see a bit more of those 3 doofuses in the future).

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hitoribocchi was a good SoL show about a socially awkward girl.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

A Place Further Than the Universe is pretty recent but was super critically acclaimed and is only 13 episodes. It's also good.

Kino no Tabi 2003 is very well loved and is only 26 episodes.

Tiger and Bunny is 26 episodes (and a movie, bbut the movie was more buildup for a second season that still hasn't come yet than any kind of conclusion, though I liked it well enough.) and was extremely popular in Japan, and had some impact on female-targeted anime. It's also got a pretty western accessible premise, since it's about superheroes, even if the outfits are a bit more power rangers/kamen rider than western style superheroes.

Hyouka's 26 episodes, it wasn't crazy popular but people tend to like it a lot and it got lots of praise from within the anime industry too.

And of course, the highly popular and influential anime, Girls und Panzer, is only 12 episodes and a movie.

Gonna second Hyouka, it's some of Kyoani's best work.

My own little suggestion is Shirobako which I like the most out of PAWork's catalogue.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Folks that have watched Given, would you recommend for someone who's never watched/read BL? I didn't think I was into yuri until I watched Bloom Into You, so I'm willing to give BL a shot.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

e: are you asking about Given or other recs?

Watch Given if you aren't already, there are just 4 eps right now so you can see how you feel about it pretty quickly.

If you want other recommendations it would help to know what you might like to read about, BL is a pretty broad genre so it helps to start with something to narrow the scope; for instance do you like high school romance or want to read about older folks, college age? mid 20s? older? Do you like some angst or want to read sweet and fluffy stories? Oneshots or longer works? Real world stuff or some fantasy setting? Any content you absolutely hate? (like age gaps for example)

e: oh yeah how do you prefer to read/watch i.e. are you ok w/unlicensed stuff or do you prefer the legal route since that's gonna limit your options and probably require you to spend some money :v:

I mostly meant Given itself, but I don't mind other reccs. I read a bunch of stuff in other genres so I don't mind a mix, but let's say uhhhh mid-20s or so. Unlicensed stuff is fine.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ookami Shounen if your friend wants a romdramedy.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'll come to bat for Sakura Quest. It gets the rural vibes down pat pretty well.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Whilst I'm not reading/watching any of the books/film adaptations, someone is LPing and translating one of the JP-only video games made by From Software, of all the developers.

LP starts here, if you're interested.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Liz and the Blue Bird. You don't need to have watched Sound! Euphonium, which it is a spinoff of, but it helps a bit. It's pretty much a fully self-enclosed story.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Samurai Champloo if you want good fights and snazzy hip hop.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Liz and the Blue Bird, no prior Euphonium watching needed (but it helps).

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I watched the LWA dub and it was really good, so I can vouch for it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

Just to sell Run with the Wind a little more than if you like Haikyuu you should watch it (even though that is 100% true) --

You get a similar "underdog team going up against big odds" feeling but part of their challenge is just becoming a team in the first place. On top of that the college setting and having stress and worries about stuff like getting jobs when they graduate gives it a different feeling than a high school sports show. Plus you get really fun drinking party scenes :3: Same folks made both shows as well so you get similar high-quality sports action!!

Watching what the boys overcome as they pull together and work to qualify is really rewarding and it's such a great show.

my shameful confession is I haven't watched the whole thing yet because I cry so much watching each episode I've had to space it out

The final 5 episodes are just ugly cry after ugly cry. In a good way!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

One final suggestion: Run With The Wind. Based off a novel so has a proper ending, ~25 episodes in total, about a group of college guys who get roped into a long-distance running club with the aim of getting into Japan's most famous marathon. Great humour, great drama, great animation, lots of good good boys and a good dog.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

Been watching Haikyu and really enjoying it, it's definitely putting me in a sports show mood. I've jotted Run With the Wind down since I saw it mentioned a couple of times but would love to get some more suggestions.

Hanebado! if you're down with hyper-melodramatic badminton. It's a very fun watch.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Have you read the manga? It starts off a lot more light-hearted and then takes a wild swerve into full-on Darth Ayano territory.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cephas posted:

Any recommendations for stuff about making art? I'm looking to find manga or anime about drawing, painting, manga-making, photography, or other artistic subjects. Blue Period (fine art), Eizouken (animation), and Kakukaku Shikajika (fine art, manga) are like the ideals for me.

Stuff like Comic Girls (manga), Hidamari Sketch (art school), or Tamayura (photography) are cool too, but those are mostly slice-of-life that revolve around art rather than being about the meaty technical stuff.

Also, out of curiosity, how is Honey & Clover? I really liked March Comes in Like a Lion and I've been thinking of buying the H&C manga to read since it has official translations. I know that there's a uhh tiny fairy girl love triangle.

It's already been recommended but I am going to second Shirobako. It's honestly my favourite anime of all time.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I will always recommend Shirobako or SSSS.Gridman for general recommendations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Chocobo posted:

Last recommendation request was very successful, so I'll try something different:

Recommend to me your #1 absolute favorite anime ever, with no context, description, or limitations. Series, OVA, whatever, lets hear it, but limit it to one please!

Shirobako.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Run With The Wind is a series based on a novel and so it has an ending that is both definitive and very good.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tsuki Ga Kirei is an extremely good 12-episode romance.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Railgun is the best of those series, I personally watched Season 1 of Index to get some context before only watching Railgun, but you can easily just watch Railgun and get 95% of the story fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Redline and Promare.