Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I am completely new to anime. All I've watched is FMA:B. Is anything on Netflix worth watching? I like your typical genre stuff. Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror etc.

This is kinda vague but like I said I'm just sorta starting to watch this stuff

Fate/zero is entertaining as hell. It's basically 7 dudes playing eighth-dimensional speed chess with each other's lives at stake, while historical/mythological figures have batshit superpower fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Seconding/thirding that Cyber City Oedo owns really, really hard.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

epitasis posted:

hello friends they ran me out of the vita thread for trying to make it my anime chat thread. I would like a show to watch, if it is easily accessible on netflix or crunchyroll then all the better. doubly better if it has dubs so I can watch while playing video games but subs are fine too

really good:
welcome to the nhk
fate/stay night
steins;gate (the vn anyway)

also good:
my teen romantic comedy snafu
fate/zero
madoka

good video game viewing:
sword art online

eh:
the one where theres a death jr and a girl with a sickle
jojos

bad:
death note

I am pro-babes and anti-giant robots. thank you

high school dxd??????

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
How long does Overlord take to get bad in the anime, exactly? Or does it even get to that point? Because everything I've heard about up to the rapey poo poo sounds pretty ok and if the anime pulled a Usagi Drop and dropped that poo poo, I might give it a look regardless.

e: Also, GitS honestly kinda bounces around a lot between philosophical and action-y between incarnations. Sometimes within them, even; the first movie is basically a straight up action movie, whereas the second is talky as hell (though it's stunningly goddamn pretty). It works pretty well either direction they go in, imo.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 20, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pavlov posted:

Thread please recommend me anime with more erect directing. dErecting if you will.

Redline, FLCL, Fujiko Mine, Death Note, the Ghost in the Shell movies, Cowboy Bebop, FMA Brotherhood, Ninja Scroll, Genocyber (first episode moreso than the others), Hellsing Ultimate, Macross Frontier, JoJo, Gundam Unicorn

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pavlov posted:

I had to look this up to make sure you weren't trolling me with a show name that dumb. I hope the robots only show themselves to pure maidens.

You haven't seen much Gundam, have you? Hilarious names are kind of a Gundam thing in general. I mean, in the Universal Century series alone, you have people named South Burning, Full Frontal, Bork Cry, Quattro Bajeena, and Jamitov Hymen; a series being named Gundam Unicorn barely registers compared to that poo poo.

e: I should probably warn, Unicorn is not very well written, but the reason to watch it is for the insanely beautiful fights not the plot

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 22, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Invictus posted:

Uh, you forgot BRING STABBITY

I was trying to stick to UC names since Unicorn is a UC show. 00 is like its own loving goldmine of ridiculous names, you've also got Anew Returner, Revive Revival, Sulu Suluzu, Hilling Care, and loving Hallelujah Haptism.

Also, that's a bit of a misrepresentation of how Unicorn treats Zeon. You're not supposed to take the dude saying that stuff at face value; the point of the show is that both sides are lovely in different ways and ending the war in general is more important than deciding which side is better.

Also, I mean, the colony drop basically turned a large chunk of Australia (including the entirety of Sydney) into a loving crater, that's at least 4 million people right there (and probably a lot more in the surrounding area).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I would actually swap New Getter and Neo vs. Shin in that rec. New Getter is basically the perfect way to get into Getter Robo; it explains pretty much everything you need to know, it's batshit crazy awesome right out the gate, and it's a pretty good segue from TTGL on top of that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I'm browsing at 1920x1080 and that still broke my loving tables, re-timg that please

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ninjewtsu posted:

asking for a friend: what are some good animes that are depressing, but in a fantastical kind of way? like, she likes neon genesis evangelion and madoka magicka, but not something as "real" as gundam thunderbolt? if that makes sense? she also really likes terror in resonance, if that helps.

i'm drawing a blank for recommendations so i thought that maybe the fine anime experts here at Something Awful might be more knowledgeable than i

a 12 episode anime would be ideal

It's 26 plus an OVA, and there's some caveats to this rec (it does occasionally dip into territory that might be "too real"), but Mirai Nikki. If she liked Madoka and Evangelion, it'll probably be a slam dunk, it hit a lot of the same notes as both for me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TriffTshngo posted:

Any recommendations for half decent shonens (or just actiony stuff in general) with cool lady protagonists? The world needs more Jolyne Kujos and Anne from Managements. There's probably a bunch I've missed. I imagine this subject has been discussed before so feel free to point me to a page if someone's recently brought it up.

Mirai Nikki will very definitely scratch this itch.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yuno is an antagonist for more of the story than not.

in short

Huh, I kinda don't see it. There's literally two plot beats in the entire story, that I can think of otoh, where she does something bad to Yuki that isn't either entirely by accident or given sympathetic reasoning: the mini-arc where she kidnaps him and the bit where she manipulates him into killing his friends.

For the entire rest of the story, she's either unambiguously in his corner, or working against him for reasons you're expected to sympathize with, and the former still way outweighs the latter.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Strange Quark posted:

Holey moley.

I should probably clarify and say that what I'm arguing has next to nothing to do with whether she's morally in the right with anything she does. I am arguing that she is a protagonist, not a hero.

Like, if we're talking about the character's morality, yeah, she's preeetty horrible. The wrinkle, however, is that Yuki really doesn't give much of a poo poo most of the time, pretty much only when it affects him directly. A character has to, like, conflict in some way with the protagonist to be an antagonist, and the two instances I mentioned plus the Third World are the only instances in the story where that actually happens and it doesn't just get swept under the rug in some fashion, and I feel super weird mentioning the Third World as an example of this because Yuki really comes off as a massive dumbass in that bit and I sorta feel like the audience is meant to agree with Yuno's take.

e: also, Yuki ain't exactly a great person either. he's a huge dick to Yuno even before he gets a real reason to be one, he racks up a pretty decent body count himself (including literally murdering an entire orphanage side-by-side with Yuno), it only takes the absolute tiniest push to get him to gun down his best friends in cold blood, and he's perfectly content to let the world end so he doesn't have to kill Yuno at the end. Repeat, he sees the LITERAL ACTUAL END OF THE UNIVERSE as preferable to stabbing his girlfriend. She ain't exactly Lady Macbeth, they're more like Mickey and Mallory Knox.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 6, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean the author apparently has a history of loving up his series once he loses interest in them

i can assure you, BLAME! loving owns start to finish and is probably his best work

if you dug KOS, BLAME! will make you poo poo your pants it's so good

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm looking for something with a similar vibe to Mirai Nikki. This has been a bizarrely hard itch to scratch.

Basically, what I want is something fast-paced and bugfuck crazy, but with a legit good emotional core and good character writing in it. If it involves a Highlander-esque "there can be only one" situation and resulting ultra-convoluted plans piling up on each other, all the better, because I am a sucker for that poo poo.

Death Note comes pretty close, but doesn't really have the emotional core in it and is a little smaller-scale than I'd like, what with largely focusing on mind games between two people at a time, and not like 20 people at a time.

Fate/stay night and Fate/zero are even closer to the mark and would work perfectly, if I hadn't watched both UBW and F/z like six times each already and played through the entire literally-longer-than-War-and-Peace VN twice. They aren't quite as fast-paced and they don't have the occasional moments of "uh okay did this plot element just sneak in from a totally different show" MN does, but otherwise they hit everything perfectly, including the whole "everyone is constantly scheming against everyone else" bit.

Is there anything else out there like this, or am I basically hosed?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

an actual dog posted:

Juni Taisen: Zodiac War is a battle royal show from the same director as Mirai Nikki, I think its got everything you want. It's airing this season!

Davincie posted:

this seasons juuni taisen is a battle royale with a bunch of crazy well defined psychopaths in it

:shittypop: okay that's perfect thank both of you

Hunt11 posted:

There is the Heavens Feel movie coming out in the future.

I've sorta given up hope that that'll come out before the heat death of the universe, but I'm absurdly loving hype for it simply because I want to see Nine Bullet Revolver and the True Ending fight animated. :getin:

(seriously, that ending fight is insane, and it doesn't even have any of the crazy DBZ poo poo from the rest of the story, it's just two dying men beating the unholy poo poo out of each other and hoping the other dies first.

an actual dog posted:

It's not as dark as the other shows you mentioned but try Kyousougiga. Also Blood Blockade Battlefront

Both have been on my to-watch list for a while, good to know they're along similar lines!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy gently caress what, seriously? :shittypop:

Is it good?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aumanor posted:

Link to a post of a goon who watched it:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671286&pagenumber=304&perpage=40#post477370667

It's the Type-Moon megathread so there might be spoilers.

OH MY GOD THEY ADAPTED THE MAPO TOFU SCENE :chanpop:

e: also I'd be kind of surprised if it got a Fathom Events showing here, Fate is extremely niche in the US (despite being mega loving popular in :japan: from what I gather)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jenny Angel posted:

Hello anime folks, please recommend me an anime about fighting (no real preference between shonen and shojo) with a major female villain who's cool as hell and not defined by being threateningly horny. Like it's even okay if she's threateningly horny at times, so long as she has other real interesting stuff going on

i kind of want to recommend Mirai Nikki, but it might not be quite what you're looking for since Yuno basically constantly bounces between "major villain" and "secondary protagonist" and is also a yandere (though a way more believable and well-rounded example of the archetype than most)

regardless she's a major female villain for at least part of the show and fuckin rules so it might be up your alley

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Davincie posted:

they died and all the core staff got folded into c-station

youtube: top 10 least surprising anime deaths

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wark Say posted:

A friend asked me today "What's the most Power Rangers anime you can recommend?" and I don't know what would be appropriate. What say you, goons?

Cyborg 009, Gatchaman, Bubblegum Crisis, Ronin Warriors

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If funny parodies of Power Rangers are okay too, DBZ has the Ginyu Force obviously, Excel Saga has a pretty great one, Shinesman is loving hilarious, and Future Diary has a brief (but loving excellent) one early on

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Caveat and fair warning; Do not watch the recent Cyborg 009 movie. Go for the 1990's tv series.

Yeah that was more of a general franchise rec than specific for any version

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I'm going to... cautiously second this

like, whether or not this is a good rec really depends on what "tournament" or "battle royale" means in this scenario. if it's just any scenario where a bunch of people are told to kill each other and the last one standing gets a shiny thing, then, yeah, 100% go read or watch (preferably watch, and preferably dubbed) Mirai Nikki right the gently caress now because it rules.

but with that said, if you're looking for a really clearly defined shonen tournament, Mirai Nikki doesn't have that. it's way more like Fate/zero than the shonen arcs listed, where the series is ultimately concerned with something only tangentially related and the tournament kinda goes completely off the rails after a certain point instead of the tournament being the #1 driving focus of everything. (honestly, the protags spend a pretty good chunk of time trying to avoid participating.)

like, if you're looking for something along the lines of Fate, go for it, but if you're thinking more of the DB and HxH and Naruto tournaments... you'll probably still like it but it'll also probably throw you for a loop and seem like a bad rec for the question

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 22, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ulio posted:

Eh I will give Mirrai Nikki a chance. I did watch the Big Order which is by the same author and man was that straight garbage.

Mirai Nikki is a loving amazing series, but it was probably also a fluke, given that Big Order is terrible.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Endorph posted:

it has one fight scene that's played as a gag, come on now

Lesbian as all hell, though, so it fits that end at least. If Xun's willing to step out of their comfort zone a bit they might dig watching it with their gf. :unsmith:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

there wolf posted:

Can anyone recommend a good anime for young kids, something with a narrative and lots of episodes? We're trying to avoid Pokemon.

depending on how young and also how tetchy you get about sex jokes, Dragon Ball

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hey I saw Patlabor 2 on Encore Action when I was like 8 and thought that poo poo was dope as hell

I was also a weird kid and loved dad movies

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jenny Angel posted:

Hey would you guys mind helping me narrow down a rapidly ballooning watch list now that I'm about to finish all three animes I'm currently watching?

For context, here's what I've liked most according to my MAL ratings:

- Monster
- Devilman Crybaby
- Flip Flappers
- Girls' Last Tour
- A Place Further than the Universe

And here's what I've liked least:

- Haruhi Suzumiya
- Mawaru Penguindrum (dropped about 2/3 of the way in)
- Shin Sekai Yori (dropped about 1/3 of the way in)
- Fate/Apocrypha (dropped about halfway in)
- Violet Evergarden (dropped after a 3-episode test)

With that in mind, please recommend something off this list. My work schedule is pretty brutal, so watching any of these is likely gonna be a several-week commitment, even if I end up really adoring them:

- The Devil is a Part-Timer
- Kino's Journey (I'm led to believe that the 2003 one, not the recent one, is the correct one to watch?)
- Konosuba
- Little Witch Academia
- Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
- Recovery of an MMO Junkie
- Space Patrol Luluco

Thanks so much in advance, guys

from what I know of your tastes, definitely go with Kino's Journey and Luluco. with Kino's, watch the 2003 series first and then the new one if you like it and want more; the new one isn't bad, it's just... less essential.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I need a show to marathon that hits the ground running because right now my mind's too wrapped up in Other Stuff to put up with a slow start even if it goes somewhere great. For an example of a slow start, it doesn't matter how interesting Steins;Gate becomes and how necessary the setup is, I need something more wham-bam than that. I'm thinking some combination of 80s-style, action, suspense, mystery, heist, or possibly horror will do the trick. Comedies are fine but it takes a really special one to make me want to marathon it and I've already run through Pop Team Epic. It doesn't have to be raw adrenaline; I just need something that hits the ground running and keeps moving forward with something like an overarching plot, repeatable action setups (like disconnected heists), or characters that are worth investing in.

Mirai Nikki is like specifically loving made for your request

it "hits the ground running" in the sense that there is quite literally a single episode of setup, which ends with a man being devoured by a black hole because his phone broke. it is every single genre you mentioned at some point or another except 80s-style. it's structured exactly the way you want, with an overarching plot that moves forward through semi-episodic mini-arcs. the characters... are divisive but if you care about them, you'll really, really care about them.

like I realize I'm a broken record with this show but good lord how am I the first person to bring it up here

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm not gonna say it's not flawed in places (that shrine maiden arc is kind of terrible aside from the Super Sentai guy) but as a whole it's probably one of the most entertaining shows I've ever seen, and it knocks some poo poo out of the park that I usually see anime totally botch so it scores extra points with me

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Paperhouse posted:

I'm in the mood for something 90s as heck. I have watched and very much liked Eva, Utena, Lain and Escaflowne, and while these aren't all similar I feel like they're high quality, mostly serious shows with good/interesting plots/themes. What could I try next?

edit: someone will probably say Cowboy Bebop, which I have tried and couldn't really get into

if you're okay with something that's not actually from the 90s, give MEGALOBOX a shot, it's consciously made to look like a show from the 1997-2003ish time period where digital ink and paint were just starting to cross over to anime.

also, re: Bebop, my advice would actually be to start with episode 5 if you're broadly familiar with all the characters. the first four episodes are good but, being pretty much setup, they're not as good as where the show eventually goes, and it can be a little tough to get through if you already know all the setup from pop culture osmosis and don't quite know what you're anticipating.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly, it's less that (though you're not wrong that the general style of the show feels different) and more the amount of... table-setting, for lack of a better way of putting it. the first 4 episodes, aside from what you mentioned, are basically there to get the gang together and show the viewer who everyone is, and... if you already know who everyone is, that's not incredibly engaging.

meanwhile, 5 is the first Vicious episode and one of the best in the entire series. like, I bought CB at Best Buy when I was like 14, and I already knew broadly what it was about and who everyone was from seeing bits on Adult Swim and being on /a/, and the first 4 episodes were kinda cool but not really grabbing me... and then Ballad of fuckin' Fallen Angels happened and I immediately fell in love with the show because that might be one of the best single episodes of an anime ever.

e: holy gently caress, apparently when TV Tokyo first showed the series in 1998 they literally only showed half the series, and more or less a random assortment (apparently due to the show being too violent). they skipped Asteroid Blues (the first loving episode), Gateway Shuffle, Ballad of Fallen Angels, Sympathy for the Devil, Black Dog Serenade, Mushroom Samba, and every episode after Speak Like a Child, instead following that episode up with something called "Mish-Mash Blues" that was basically the production team's way of telling audiences the show got hosed over.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 2, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like i edited in, i'm not saying you're actually wrong, more that it's not so much the basis for my statement

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Colonel posted:

is that the one with the bizarrely disgusting bit

the huh

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Davincie posted:

cronenberg should make an anime

*kramers into room* LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT GENOCYBER

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GorfZaplen posted:

What the...this wasn't directed by David Cronenberg at all!

It's basically directly ripping off his style as hard as humanly possible and, for reasons that'll become clear if you actually watch Genocyber, we're probably not gonna get anything closer

Urotsukidoji is also not a bad call for Cronenberg-y anime

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Buy that bundle for Battle Angel Alita. The first hardcover volume alone usually costs more than what they're charging for the literal entire series so far. The other series in that bundle are fine, ~I guess~ (GITS inclusive) but Alita is the main attraction.

e: like, I'm not even dogging on anything else in that bundle, but the rest of it's just fine whereas Alita is one of the actual greatest comics ever made in any language.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 8, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One thing to be aware of is that though they're the individual volumes for the original Battle Angel Alita manga, the translation is from the new hardcover omnibuses. It's a perfectly fine translation, but for some weird :spergin: reason they decided to go with the original Japanese name of the floating city, Zalem, instead of Tiphares. It's just a minor thing, but just really weird in the face of twenty+ years of localization inertia with every other name change retained, and Last Order still using Tiphares.

From what I understand the other name changes are mostly being kept because the movie uses them, whereas I don't know if it keeps the Zalem/Tiphares change (and we might not until it's out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I'm actually going off that passage (I got the first HC for my girlfriend for crimbus and skimmed it before I wrapped it) and iirc, it mentions that, and also cites continuity with the movie as a big reason (since it'd be self-defeating to release it as Gunnm and have her be Gally when the movie that's getting everyone interested in it is called Alita: Battle Angel).