Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018

Endorph posted:

if you want gore/blood, Another would work? Some of the deaths are too goofy to take seriously but it still lands some, too. Kinda reminds me of Final Destination.

A few years ago tried to watch Another. Watched couple episodes and it seemed to me boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018

silentsnack posted:

If you want blood there is Elfen Lied, or for chunky gore (and more comedy / less nudity) Brynhildr

For horror manga, Franken Fran has the weirdest philosophical tangents.

Thanks) Brynhildr didn't watch, but Elfen Lied is one of my favourite anime)

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018

an actual dog posted:

Try Mononoke. It's really unique and creepy.

Mononoke was one of the first anime I watch when I was a kid) It's classics) But thanks for reminding. I'll rewatch it))

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

unstucker posted:

Mononoke was one of the first anime I watch when I was a kid) It's classics) But thanks for reminding. I'll rewatch it))

no not princess mononoke. mononoke, the unrelated tv anime. mononoke are japanese folk creatures that are basically vengeful ghosts, and mononoke (the tv anime) is about a wandering exorcist of said ghosts. mononoke is a very inventive, stylish series with an incredibly unique aesthetic and a few creepy plot twists, though it's somewhat episodic in nature and intentionally vague about the main character's motivations and history.

unless you actually did watch mononoke and not princess mononoke as a kid, in which case, im old.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 6, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Hiveminded posted:

I finished watching Devilman Crybaby a few days ago, please recommend me another anime that features gay dude protagonists being stylishly violent.

Read Yuureitou

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Princess Mononoke is pretty drat gruesome in its own right. Plenty of people get limbs cut off, along with a few decapitations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i cant stand it but you cant get more gruesome than blood c

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I, on the other hand, loving loved Blood C, despite going into it with full foreknowledge of the possible content and kind of hating Elfen Lied. Oddly enough, I found it... charming. There were so many CLAMP touches in there, as well as pretty slick presentation that I just found it weirdly appealing.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 6, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Blood-C isn't very good, and the one thing that might have made it intriguing was the possibility that (major spoilers for the entire series) Saya's klutzy moeblob personality was part of the brainwashing her vampire stalker inflicted on her, and her real personality was as predatory as the various monsters' reaction to her would suggest. It would have been a neat statement to make, and I thought that was where it was going when the series ended with her looking furious and heading out for revenge.

Unfortunately the movie took a giant steaming crap on that idea.

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018

Endorph posted:

no not princess mononoke. mononoke, the unrelated tv anime. mononoke are japanese folk creatures that are basically vengeful ghosts, and mononoke (the tv anime) is about a wandering exorcist of said ghosts. mononoke is a very inventive, stylish series with an incredibly unique aesthetic and a few creepy plot twists, though it's somewhat episodic in nature and intentionally vague about the main character's motivations and history.

unless you actually did watch mononoke and not princess mononoke as a kid, in which case, im old.

Oh, I see) I thought you've meant Hayao Miyazaki's anime))

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018
does anybody know what anime is it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

unstucker posted:

does anybody know what anime is it?

The Ancient Magus' Bride

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It is very good. There is a bit at the start that puts a lot of folks off, but is expanded on later in a way that absolutely in no way glorifies it. The world of AMB is one of my favorite real world fantasy settings, and the way it depicts godlike beings is really great. also, bosoms

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the magus bride anime is stiff and the colors are too saturated, and all of the polish it has seemed to be directed at backgrounds and keeping things on model (yawn). the soundtrack is also annoying and used really intrusively.

I'd recommend watching the prequel OVAs but skipping the main series and just reading the excellent manga.

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018
Thank you for your answers and advices)

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Should I start with Fate/zero or the new Fate/stay night anime adaptation?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

what are you looking to get out of watching a fate anime

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Fate/Zero spoils a bunch of things on two of the routes from F/SN, but if you're a non-giver of fucks, you can watch them in either order.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Fate/Zero has a very serious and grim story with a very troubled protagonist and a whole lot of suffering. Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works (TV) is a more standard hero's journey type story where the protagonist wants to help people, is forced to confront a bunch of problems, and some bad things happen, but it's a fairly optimistic story. The protagonist of Fate/Zero is an adult man who does very questionable things and is something of an anti-hero or even a villain depending on your perspective, the protagonist of Fate/Stay Night UBW is a teenage boy who has his morals and motivations questioned but is never really treated as anything other than the hero of the story.

They both kind of spoil each other, and people will argue back and forth about which one to start with, and which one is better, so just start with whichever one of those sounds more appealing to you. In terms of production they were made within a few years of each other by the same studio so they don't really differ that much even with them having different directors. the only real difference is that UBW leans more into goofier expressions/slapstick for its humor and even that's partly just a tone thing.

For other fate anime:

Fate/Stay Night (2006, deen) is a fairly bad adaptation of the VN and pretty much outmoded by UBW, even if it covers a different route of the game.
Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works Movie (2011, deen) is a very bad movie adaptation of the UBW route of the VN and is completely outmoded by the UBW tv anime by UFOtable.
Fate/Stay Night Heaven's Feel (2017, UFOtable) is a series of movies that should only be watched after UBW and maybe Fate/Zero. They're a good adaptation of the VN's strongest material, but the Heaven's Feel Route is only unlocked after clearing the other routes in the game for a reason - it relies a lot on knowledge of how the story 'should' go. Also, they aren't completed, so.
Fate/Apocrypha (2017, A-1) is an adaptation of a spinoff novel that has no connections to fate/zero or ubw, minus some of the characters coming from the same legends as characters in the 'main' stuff and a couple of cameos. It takes place in an alternate timeline/universe, so it can be watched on its own, as a companion piece, whatever. It has some of the franchise's best characters but it also has way too many characters and a main character that's pretty much unanimously really, really boring. Some amazing action animation, though, especially in the latter half.
Fate/Extra Last Encore (2018, shaft) is an adaptation of a spinoff game that has few connections to any other part of the fate universe. It's shaft, so it's pretty wacky with its production and rewrites a lot of the game's plot in weird directions. It isn't finished airing, so I can't offer a definitive opinion on it. Regardless, it'd be a pretty weird entry point since its storytelling isnt as standard as F/A.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 11, 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Hiro Protagonist posted:

If you're committed to watching both, I would go with UBW first. Either one is going to spoil a couple of surprises from the other, but I think you'll have a good time either way.

I find Fate/Zero to be stronger overall. Alexander ISKANDAR can really steal a scene.

Fate/Apocrypha bored me to tears.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Fate/Apocrypha (2017, A-1) is an adaptation of a spinoff novel that has no connections to fate/zero or ubw, minus some of the characters coming from the same legends as characters in the 'main' stuff and a couple of cameos. It takes place in an alternate timeline/universe, so it can be watched on its own, as a companion piece, whatever. It has some of the franchise's best characters but it also has way too many characters and the two main characters are pretty much unanimously considered really, really boring. Some amazing action animation, though, especially in the latter half.
FTFY

Made the mistake of watching this during a slow day. Both main characters are excruciatingly boring. Thank goodness almost every other master/servant combo is not.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Thanks, I was somewhat aware of Fate/stay night, and actually watched half the 04 version, but I could tell it wasn't that good. Glad to know I have a bit of freedom.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jeanne is okay but part of that is just me liking her goofier moments in fate/grand order

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The best fate anim is carnival phantasm

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=888z3ku4t3I who watched that anime? is it interesting?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it looks great, if a bit stiff, but the story lacks any sort of cohesive theme and the characters don't have much to them. worth streaming or renting but i wouldn't go to a theatrical screening unless you just want to see some beautiful backgrounds and a pretty stunning finale.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So there was this manga I read bits of about girls playing a pen-and-paper RPG. I can't remember the name of it, but I'd be interested if anyone made an anime using that premise.

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018

dogsicle posted:

it looks great, if a bit stiff, but the story lacks any sort of cohesive theme and the characters don't have much to them. worth streaming or renting but i wouldn't go to a theatrical screening unless you just want to see some beautiful backgrounds and a pretty stunning finale.

is that about "Mary and the Witch's Flower"?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

unstucker posted:

is that about "Mary and the Witch's Flower"?

yep, sorry that it wasn't clear since i didn't quote

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018

dogsicle posted:

yep, sorry that it wasn't clear since i didn't quote

I just specified)

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018

unstucker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=888z3ku4t3I who watched that anime? is it interesting?

I watched the trailer and it seemed to me similar to Miyazaki's work)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

unstucker posted:

I watched the trailer and it seemed to me similar to Miyazaki's work)

Studio Ponoc was formed by a bunch of ex-Ghibli artists.

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Studio Ponoc was formed by a bunch of ex-Ghibli artists.

oh, I see) thaks)

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'm looking for something with some jerky bandits doing horrible things and then getting their asses kicked for it. Kenshin, Hokuto no Ken, Berserk, these things all have that kind of stuff to varying degrees.

I don't necessarily want to see them getting destroyed by overpowered badasses, either. I am just looking to see abusive over-confident crimelords/bandits get what's coming to them.

Any era, realistic or otherwise, is cool with me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chinook posted:

I'm looking for something with some jerky bandits doing horrible things and then getting their asses kicked for it. Kenshin, Hokuto no Ken, Berserk, these things all have that kind of stuff to varying degrees.

I don't necessarily want to see them getting destroyed by overpowered badasses, either. I am just looking to see abusive over-confident crimelords/bandits get what's coming to them.

Any era, realistic or otherwise, is cool with me.
the first half of trigun is basically nothing but this

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Hey would you guys mind helping me narrow down a rapidly ballooning watch list now that I'm about to finish all three animes I'm currently watching?

For context, here's what I've liked most according to my MAL ratings:

- Monster
- Devilman Crybaby
- Flip Flappers
- Girls' Last Tour
- A Place Further than the Universe

And here's what I've liked least:

- Haruhi Suzumiya
- Mawaru Penguindrum (dropped about 2/3 of the way in)
- Shin Sekai Yori (dropped about 1/3 of the way in)
- Fate/Apocrypha (dropped about halfway in)
- Violet Evergarden (dropped after a 3-episode test)

With that in mind, please recommend something off this list. My work schedule is pretty brutal, so watching any of these is likely gonna be a several-week commitment, even if I end up really adoring them:

- The Devil is a Part-Timer
- Kino's Journey (I'm led to believe that the 2003 one, not the recent one, is the correct one to watch?)
- Konosuba
- Little Witch Academia
- Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
- Recovery of an MMO Junkie
- Space Patrol Luluco

Thanks so much in advance, guys

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jenny Angel posted:

Hey would you guys mind helping me narrow down a rapidly ballooning watch list now that I'm about to finish all three animes I'm currently watching?

For context, here's what I've liked most according to my MAL ratings:

- Monster
- Devilman Crybaby
- Flip Flappers
- Girls' Last Tour
- A Place Further than the Universe

And here's what I've liked least:

- Haruhi Suzumiya
- Mawaru Penguindrum (dropped about 2/3 of the way in)
- Shin Sekai Yori (dropped about 1/3 of the way in)
- Fate/Apocrypha (dropped about halfway in)
- Violet Evergarden (dropped after a 3-episode test)

With that in mind, please recommend something off this list. My work schedule is pretty brutal, so watching any of these is likely gonna be a several-week commitment, even if I end up really adoring them:

- The Devil is a Part-Timer
- Kino's Journey (I'm led to believe that the 2003 one, not the recent one, is the correct one to watch?)
- Konosuba
- Little Witch Academia
- Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
- Recovery of an MMO Junkie
- Space Patrol Luluco

Thanks so much in advance, guys

You can watch Luluco in an evening. The episodes are only 5 - 10 minutes long.

I would throw my hat into Konosuba. Despite a lot of the ecchi humor, the characters are just great. Though, you'll get a little more out of it if you have a history of playing fantasy RPGs.

I hear good things about Dragon Maid, too. But, I've never seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Devil is a Part-Timer is a great show to watch.