Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Tales of Woe posted:

moribito and windy tales

These, and he did all of Mob Psycho as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Incredibly basic rec for the criteria, but Hyouka is the prime low-stakes mystery show if you haven't seen it already. Haruchika and Mushishi are also good. If season-long cases/conspiracies rather than smaller individual mysteries are fine, then you've also got options like ACCA 13, Fugo Keiji, and Double Decker.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
90s post-apoc anime in a desert would make me think Now and Then, Here and There but I'd be surprised Netflix ever had it.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Zinkraptor posted:

Some preferences:

While I generally don't watch typical slice of life shows, I'm willing to give one a try.

I'd prefer something relatively recent, from the last few years. I don't really have a good reason for this, I guess I just want to watch something somewhat relevant before I start going back for older stuff I've never watched like Cowboy Bebop.

At the moment I think I'd prefer something that has some humor, though it doesn't have to be the main focus.

I realize this is pretty vague and I apologize for that, but any recommendations would be appreciated.

Oddtaxi, Hinamatsuri, Heaven's Design Team

Migi & Dali has also been a great comedy this season, it'll wrap up in December.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Urobuchi was popular enough his name got attached to a good amount of stuff he wasn't particularly involved in e.g. Aldnoah, so you're mainly looking at Psycho-Pass S1 and The Movie (2015), Fate/Zero, and Thunderbolt Fantasy.

e: Hell, there's also Kamen Rider Gaim.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
You can just ask for manga recs in the anime rec thread too tbh.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Rinkles posted:

I wanna watch a psychological thriller in the vein of Death Note. Or something like Monster.

I’ve already seen Code Gease, and some Kaiji.

In the vein of Kaiji, have you watched One Outs by the same director?

Some others: Shinsekai Yori, ID Invaded, Kokkoku

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It's a 6.9 on MAL, that doesn't seem meaningfully hurt for whatever segment of haters it got.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
50% gay, 100% stylish anime

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Rinkles posted:

Looking for post-apoc/wasteland/desert shows, preferably with an armored vehicle the cast travel in. finished Sand Land yesterday and I want more.

I've seen The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye (took a while to figure out what it was called), which basically is exactly what I want (though it was pretty mid itself). Also seen Girls' Last Tour.

For reference, seen Trigun and Desert Punk too, though those aren't quite what I'm looking for (well, besides not liking it, I barely remember anything about Desert Punk)

Now & Then, Here & There (no vehicle) and Ergo Proxy (boat) if you haven't seen those. Casshern Sins (no vehicle), Sabikui Bisco (giant crab) also. Bisco definitely the one closest to mid here fwiw.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I feel like just flipping the demographic from shonen to shoujo can do a lot of work here, but also I'm basic and immediately think of Ouran as the example.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Roctavian posted:

What about underwater anime in general, not just submarines? Any genre. My partner is a diver and never gets tired of watching underwater stuff.

Real Drive could be worth a try. More of a sci-fi series about the various ways people interact with a version of the Internet that is metaphorized as an ocean. Has an island setting and the lead is a paraplegic diver who is hired to handle incidents there, since he can dive in the net. Ep13 being a particular standout since it's just about him growing up and falling in love with the sea.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Tenamonya Voyagers
The Hakkenden Pts 1 + 2
Kare Kano
Escaflowne?
Aoki Densetsu Shoot
Oruchuban Ebichu
Hunter x Hunter :D

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I feel like half the appeal of those OVAs is having insane animation, which Metallic Rouge absolutely does not after it gets out of the gate. So you get a modern shadow of that vibe with all of the same writing issues despite being significantly longer than the average OVA.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
ACCA is as much a travelogue of the fictional country it takes place in as a slow unraveling of the royal secrets and government conspiracy at its core, so may or may not quite fit your ask. The tone is pretty varied, not singularly moody. There's also series like Balance Unlimited and ID Invaded with larger mysteries threaded around more episodic ones, if those count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I love Natsume Ono's art but there's a lot to be gained from adapting it to anime. Anime food/backgrounds/smoking etc looks so good 😍 and all that sort of thing.