Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yankee-kun And Megane-chan keeps showing up on the recommended series at the top of Kissmanga. I've heard lots of good things about it, but I have also heard that it ends incredibly poorly. Is this correct or am I misremembering the series people were saying that about? No gory details needed, just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah. I always recommend the usagi drop anime because it's outstanding and doesn't overstay its welcome, and it's a goddamn shame the manga turned so terrible that it retroactively soured people on giving the anime a shot. But if you just stick with the anime you'll be fine, do not read the manga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gun x Sword is very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwww_MPqzBI

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gunsmith Cats is a textbook example of a fantastic, gorgeous series brought down by the author's issues (he is a creepy fucker, possibly a pedophile)

The gunplay, mechanical detail, and drama are all fantastic, and then you have characters like Minnie May

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
For some reason kissmanga has had issues sending out update emails for various series so I've been checking the latest updates feed daily, which has resulted in seeing some...interesting series there. I am sure that this is unmitigated garbage but the name of the series and the summary on kissmanga made me laugh

quote:

Kiss My rear end: After defeating a demon, Yakushiji Teruki is bound by a demon that brings pain to humans, in the most unusual ways that demon is bound by Shiki-kun through.....hemorrhoids, which is an illness in his anus...yes anus. All of a sudden, a girl by the name of Miura confronts him, what does she, the unsociable classmate want from Shiki-kun and his....anus? Find out!

Anime

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've never read berserk, but a friend has. I want to recommend vinland saga, would it be comparable to berserk in tone, or are they wholly separate beasts? I think he'd love it but he's really resistant to recommendations in any form because he's a stubborn poo poo, so I want to compare it to something he loves to pique his interest, and he sure as gently caress loves him some berserk. But if they're too different I'll try to think of a different way to get him interested in it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Okay

When it's done :smug: Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man. Keyman: Hand of Judgement was recommended in the Convince Manga etc thread and boy howdy, that's something alright. Ten or so chapters in and I really like Alex Rex. He's a goddamn Tyrannosaurus Rex beastman no nonsense cop in a trenchcoat and detective fedora. He's awesome, him and his gorilla boss. The fanservice is bizarre and the violence is grotesque, but it's an interesting series so far.

I don't think I've ever seen a main character have breasts as big as Dr. Necro's other form, though. Not even Centorea from Monmusu. Jesus.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It might just be the scan quality but sometimes the grunge in Keyman can get confusing, the shading can get thick enough that it's disorienting. Dorohedoro I feel manages to keep its grunginess "clean", visually dense while still being able to pick out detail, which is important.

I like Necro's low-detail reaction faces, she's just not taking anything at all seriously ever. At least until one of the recent chapters I've read.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Thanks sharky for posting untagged spoilers after I said I was ten chapters in you worthless poo poo

On chapter 24 or so and a bit surprised the direction it's taking into full blown racism, KKK and genocide but it's not bad, kinda bummed at the lack of comedy for a good while but considering the events around where I am it's at least understandable, hopefully there's some lighthearted points soon enough.

I also didn't expect this series to have a pretty adorable romance in it, too. The fight scenes are often nigh-incomprehensibly busy with speed lines and poo poo but when they're done right, they're fantastic. Some good cosmic horror stuff too. Glad people recommended it, are the sound effects in the original or are those from translators? Guessing they're just from the original based on the weirdness of a lot of them. The beastmen designs are just great. There's a gorilla in a suit fer chrissake. Love it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Boy, keyman does go places, huh.

I still think the art suffers a lot from the prevalence of speed lines and blackness, I get that it's part of the setting that it's all Gotham-esque, but the action scenes are nearly incomprehensible most of the time.

Good stuff though. I feel like the currently translated stuff about necro's backstory is kind of irrelevant, I never really felt the need to know the nitty gritty behind it all past what she mentioned earlier on. If there's one more volume before it's done, that should be just enough to wrap up this final arc and hopefully have a mostly happy epilogue.

Definitely something I'd recommend to others, with caveats, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

.jpg posted:

Nope,

reference

Holy poo poo what was this originally from, it's super familiar

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Yes! Might be one of the best posts in ADTRW history

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Started reading Overlord, and it's not as bad as I'd initially heard. Lots of folks used the boob grab scene and the "hug" scene(haven't reached that part yet) as ways to dissuade people, but it seems like pretty standard Trapped In An MMO fare, just from a different side of the coin.

How far does the anime go? Does it only cover the early chapters, or does it go much farther? Are scanlations for the manga way behind or is it just a really new series?

The Lord of the Forest is really just the best way they could've gone there, I'd totally have used a mount like that in WoW back in the day if I could have.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It was when the manga was just showing up, before the anime got announced, there was some backlash on here to it. It seems fine.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sharkopath posted:

It was really funny how quickly the thread turned on it, after not believing me.
You have been made ashamed of your words and deeds.
Can you post a summary of why it goes downhill so horribly? Is it Usagi Drop-level of turn from good to trainwreck or what?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sharkopath posted:

It gets bad.
So it becomes Overlord: Rape-apalooza, great

Definitely smacks of "guy has a neat idea to start with and has no idea where to go with it so he just jumps straight down the rabbithole"

Sharkopath posted:

Plutonis was not kidding about the author actually being Fatalpulse.
This smells of something real bad based on those spoilers so I'm gonna assume he's some notorious fetish author/artist

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Uh, you forgot BRING STABBITY

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Maybe actually give it a watch instead of being like that, it's a great movie.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm reading through Eden: It's An Endless World on recommendation from the Convince With One(or more) Pages thread and I'm not really feeling it. I mean it's decent, and the artwork is great, the various storylines can be okay and the mechanical designs and such are fantastic, but it's basically the "you're gonna have a bad time" of manga. Are you a character in Eden? Chances are, you're gonna have a bad time. Are you a child or a woman onscreen at any point in Eden? You're probably gonna have a bad time. Are you a heavily armored power suit soldier or a cop? You're definitely gonna have a bad time. Are you a character who's been in the series for half its run, had a pretty nice amount of character growth, is a strong character in your own right, and end up with a happy ending? You're goddamn guaranteed to have a bad time. Nothing ever goes right, someone always sabotages [thing], everyone's a spy/backstabber.

It's like the author cannot under any circumstances let anyone come out of a bad situation well, or if they do, sure as shootin' something even worse will happen to them later on.

Oh and "having a bad time" means "horrifying, gruesome death by dismemberment, headshot, decapitation, impalement, riddled by bullets, explosion, immolation, evisceration, brain-fry, etc"

There's like, two characters I can think of who haven't yet been mutilated somehow and have been around for a long time. Hell, one of the others who was, just DID get mutilated. There was a comparison to Ghost in the Shell in there but I'm feeling like this is much more disjointed and incohesive than GITS, especially GITS:SAC.

I'm maybe halfway through though, just got to the part where Helena shows up again for just long enough to get her brains blown right the gently caress out

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sharkopath posted:

I couldn't go on after the landmine scene.
Which one? :v:

Like I think the one with the black dude with Batou-eyes was pretty well done, even if it was loving horrifying. I could understand exactly what he was thinking when he dove for the leg, but it wasn't a smart move and they both paid for it.

My biggest complaint about the series is that not a single deal has gone through unmolested. Every single illegal business transaction ends with one side trying to kill the other and walk away with everything instead of just completing the deal and being done with it, and it always results in a huge gunfight where pretty much everyone dies/gets mutilated.

I'm already this far into it so I'm going to finish it just to see where it goes, but as it stands, it's not a great series, and that's a drat shame because the character and mechanical designs and artwork continue to be outstanding.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

silentsnack posted:

Once the author runs out of ideas for ways to inflict misery and failure, the narrative goes off the rails... but not in a good bizarre way, just mediocre and stupid.

For a bonus game after you finish the series, figure out how many characters are actually relevant to the overall plot. (Yes, there is eventually some kind of plot; it just doesn't make any sense.)
Good ol' fashioned trainwreck. I can see the beginnings of it now in chapter 70+. And I just got to a part where it incredibly awkwardly flips between torturing a dude by hanging him from his arms and repeatedly smashing his broken, mangled legs with a pipe to get him to talk, then when he bites his own tongue off to spite them, they bash his teeth in with a hammer and then cut his balls off and shove them in his broken mouth, then it basically smash cuts to straight up sitcom shenanigans in an apartment with a few of the exact same characters as if something absolutely monstrous hadn't just happened.

I kinda like watching something like this completely unravel due to authorial incompetence, to be honest.

edit: I am totally okay with some of the crazy poo poo the author came up with, though. While I saw it coming a mile away, putting an old man's brain in an android dog's body, and the android dog has, like, spider-leg-knife-things in its back hidden in flaps under the fur is pretty loving cool

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 27, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hahahaha, eden is so bad! I thought people were being hyperbolic with saying it was trash garbage but wow, I just got to POP! and not only was it entirely unearned, but the lead up to it was dragged on forever, and the entire scene is like that narm thing, supposed to be shocking but winds up being hilarious/awkward instead.

This whole thing might just be the most disappointing dropped opportunity of any long running manga I've read, it's rather impressive.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
HAHAHA, finished it. What a mess.

If there were a thread for eden it'd have to be "Eden: when you get right down to it, its all about dicks."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Can folks name some manga series that have the atmosphere, quality artwork, and cyberpunk/post-apocalyptic nature of Eden: the endless world, but without being a loving terrible trainwreck? I loved most everything about it outside of the horrible story and plot twists, so if there's something that has all that plus a good plot, that's my jam

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've read GITS/Alita, GITS is sometimes good, Alita is fantastic and one of my favorites. Never tried Appleseed, I'll toss that into the queue. Pluto too. Thanks!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Because for some reason kissmanga stopped sending out new chapter notifications for everything, I've been checking the recently-updated bar for series I read on the regular. Some of the other series listed there have absolutely amazing plot summaries attached to them.

quote:

Ryuma no Gagou - In a world where humanity has turned into prey against the so called "white skin" creatures, one legendary figure known simply as "Ryuma" continues to give hope to this post-apocalyptic society. This individual has many faces and descriptions, but his/her legend has lived continuously in the hearts and minds of the people for half a century. No one knows where this legend started or who started it. Here starts a chronicle to unveil the mysteries of a legend.

quote:

Yuri na Watashi to Akuma na Kanojo - As a child, Yashiro Nonoyama developed an intense fear of men due to boys constantly bullying her. Now in high school, she dreams of being reunited with her first love: a girl who protected her one day from her bullies. Yashiro is in disbelief when a transfer student named Mikoto Saionji arrives who looks a lot like her first love, but she later discovers that Mikoto is actually a guy, and that he was her first love. Yashiro learns that Mikoto is rapidly turning into a girl, and the only way to counteract this change is for them to passionately make out with each other every day.

I don't know anything about these series but these descriptions are something else.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Finished pluto.

The world setting was fantastic and about 2/3 of it was really engaging but I feel like it pulled a death note where the best character dies and it's all downhill from there. Gesicht was by far the most interesting character of the series and funny enough the titular character was one of the least interesting. I assume this was some sort of pseudo remake of astro boy but everything about atom's super robot-style revival felt hokey and a bit out of place. The ending was like all the other works by urasawa I've read(monster, 20th century boys) where they excel at beginnings and middles but flounder at the finish line.

A decent series overall, a lot of enjoyable and creative writing choices, but not really a work of art.

The stay puft marshmallow man being the world-ending superweapon was hilarious though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DamnGlitch posted:

It is Literally a Work of Art. Being perfect is not a prerequisite of being art.

(Pluto is basically perfect though)
Not really. I mean that dumb thing I posted a summary of that's about lesbians making out earlier is also technically art. What in your opinion makes pluto perfect? I feel like it may be the same thing that folks say 20th century boys and monster are perfect, but again, I feel like all three series drop the ball in the final stretch. Again, it's an incredibly strong series for a good section of its run that does some really powerful things that I've not seen in other series that deal with similar themes, but after a certain point(once all of The Seven die, especially) it just turns pretty hokey.

I guess not having any prior reverence for either author means I'm less willing to write off the lesser parts of it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've never so much as watched more than an animated gif's worth of astro boy so not having that background for it probably doesn't help it's case for me. I guess I enjoyed the more serious, down to earth stuff, and when it gets into THE EARTH WILL BE DESTROYED stuff I kinda just tuned right out.

Oh well. It was mostly very enjoyable at least, I didn't have a bad time reading it, just didn't really like the direction it took in the end.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I didn't expect anything because I was never told that part, just someone suggested it when I asked for "not terrible versions of post-cyberpunk stuff like Eden", and I'd heard people say it was amazing in passing before, and I enjoyed most of Monster/TCB.

I just did a little googling and found this(spoilers I guess), from that it looks like a straight up Astro Boy rewrite. It doesn't really matter whether it's a rewrite or not, I'm just judging it based purely on Pluto on its own since I've never really consumed any of Tezuka's works. I don't really like his artstyle so I've not read his works.

I'll give Urasawa some serious credit though, he took those goofy cartoony Astro Boy designs and made them look great in a more realistic setting. Impressive work considering the original designs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I tend to like to go in as blind as possible with most stuff, so I didn't read up on it to avoid potential spoilers. Still enjoyed it a lot, just some issues with it prevented me from considering it a masterpiece is all.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
More surely amazing, high-quality manga from the recent updates list

quote:

Mousou Megane - Imagine what you could do if you had glasses that could see through the clothes of that cute classmate you’ve had a crush on. Or that young teacher that you daydreamed about the entire time during class. Maybe your long time female friend that you never had the courage to ask out. If you could see their beautiful body without them having a clue, what would you do? This is every guy’s fantasy played out.

quote:

Kiss My rear end - After defeating a demon, Yakushiji Teruki is bound by a demon that brings pain to humans, in the most unusual ways that demon is bound by Shiki-kun through.....hemorrhoids, which is an illness in his anus...yes anus. All of a sudden, a girl by the name of Miura confronts him, what does she, the unsociable classmate want from Shiki-kun and his....anus? Find out!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Boy this, uh, this Franken Fran series sure does go places in the six chapters I've read, doesn't it...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Some chapters are excellent. Other chapters are garbage. It's flip-flopping between them, like a dissected fish with a human head graphically grafted onto it flopping around on the floor, gasping for breath.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Davincie posted:

actually it all owns

only problem is that i wish it went a bit softer on some of its characters but that kinda goes against its themes :P

The Birthday Girl chapter was really bad, man

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's a manga called Dragons Rioting that's a cross between that and ranma saotome, in that you've got a pro martial arts kid trained in the mountains by his father his whole life but he's got a terminal illness where he goes into heart failure if he gets too aroused. He applies to some special all male martial arts school but oh no its actually all female! And they're all scantily clad martial artist badasses!! So he has to survive his daily school life both because of martial arts violence as well as avoiding pantyshots!!!

It's not as good as prison school in terms of being smart with its fanservice but it's good dumb fun and the main character is fantastic

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pavlov posted:

You'd think unisex anime schools would have learned to vet their students' genders better at this point.

Never.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Help Im Alive posted:

What is smart fanservice

Prison school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Do you have a thing for girls with eyepatch es too? Because there's like 4 of them in there at least