Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't think you've ever actually mentioned it one way or the other and if you have I apologise for missing it, but have you watched the series referenced in the literal gag thread title, Legend of the Galactic Heroes? While the majority is space politicking, the actual spaceship battles are fantastic in exactly the sort of hard sci fi you seem to be after. Ships arrayed in grids, firing lasers light years away from each other, trying to predict fleet movements with time delay from being so far away from each other that visual information is literally delayed, shields being useless at anything but the farthest range distances. Fleets of ships being measured in the tens if not hundreds of thousands with millions of crew on deck across them. Carriers with both fighters and boarding craft, and melee weapons and armor being used by boarders in lieu of guns due to anti-firearm tech. And that's not even getting into the awesomeness of something like the Iserlohn Fortress, a planetoid fortress with controllable liquid magnetic metal on its surface to defend from weaponry.

It was such a prolific recommendation for a reason, and if you're looking for hard sci-fi, it's probably right up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a bit surprised nobody has recommended you Old Knight of the Frontier, Bard Loen yet. It's about an elderly retired knight who goes on a journey to find a suitable place to die, and enjoy wonderful food and drink along the way. It's gorgeous, it's dramatic, it's cute and funny in places, it has great action, and it's powerfully sentimental.

I also love that it'll have beautifully detailed artwork most of the time but also just randomly give Bard a :3 face in places

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 27, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
also if you hop into The Faraway Paladin, don't watch the anime, read the manga. the anime is a subpar adaptation, while the manga is stellar.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

runawayturtles posted:

I feel like I add something to my reading list every time you post. I barely ever read manga these days though, so the list is getting very long...
well let me add another to that backlog, Yakuza Reincarnation, where an elderly yakuza member dies while fighting some punks by a pier, and awakens as the exiled princess of a fantasy kingdom on a journey. but it's no prim and proper setting, one of the first arcs involves drug dealers and addicts. it has some AMAZING parallels for real world crime syndicates in a fantasy setting, just some loving phenomenal designs and abilities. I really, really want an anime of this, and for Trigger to do it, because they would do an amazing job with the action I think.

it's super loving good. top tier.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My Love Story, for sure, if you like fluffy romcoms.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tabletops posted:

Thanks, I just caught up with the insomniacs manga then read chion san, so I guess I’m doing manga now as well.
be careful what you wish for!

here's a whole loving lot of series with romance in them, separated by if it's the main focus or not(to the best of my memory, anyways. some of these I read a long-rear end time ago and forget parts of). including stuff you've seen or probably seen the anime of, because the manga are often longer/have more stuff/completed etc

romcom/romance primarily:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf Tells Another Lie Today(one of my favorites)
Oh, My Sweet Alien!(one of my all-time favorites, author passed away right after completing this series)
Lovely Complex
Please Love the Useless Me and it's sequel
Sweet Blue Flowers
Accept My Fist of Love!
It's Not Meguro's First Time
How Do We Relationship(terrible name, good series)
Childhood Friend Complex
Kaiju Girl Caramelise
Sekitou Elegy
Extremely Straightforward Boyfriend x Girlfriend
An Observation Log of My Wife - A Self-Proclaimed Villainess and it's sequel
Tamen de Gushi
Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!
Wotakoi: Love Is Hard for an Otaku
Pseudo Harem
A Maiden in Love with a Maiden Boy
Sand Chronicles
Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro
When I Returned to my Hometown, My Childhood Friend Was Broken
Horimiya
I Want Your Mother to Be With Me!
Handsome Girl and Sheltered Girl
Yamada's First Time
I Want to Annoy the Pretty Boss
Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa(My Monster Secret in english, though I feel like people usually go with the japanese name. one of my favorite series)
Elvish Boyfriend, Boyish Girlfriend
Kuzumi-kun, Can't You Read the Room?
Ogami-san Can't Keep It In
Hitomi-chan is Shy With Strangers
Uwagaki
Otaku Boyfriend and Fujoshi Girlfriend
Delinquint Girl In Love
MY LOVE STORY!!(Ore Monogatari!!)
Mousou Telepathy
My Girlfriend Is The Best!
The Coppersmith's Bride(chapters have been purged from Mangadex due to licensing, but it's a good series by the Boy Who Cried Wolf's author)
My Little Monster
A Tropical Fish Yearns For Snow
Taisho Maiden Fairytale
Fujiyama's Adolescence
My Divorced Crybaby Neighbor
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
The World God Only Knows
Bonnouji
Don't Become an Otaku, Shinozaki!
Handsome Girl and Crossdressing Boy
Princess Jellyfish
Yamada and Kase-san
Run Away With Me, Girl
Stupid Angel Dances With the Devil
ReLIFE
The Demon Lord Marries the Hero's Mom
Bloom Into You
Haru x Kiyo

romcom/romance as a major part but not exclusively:
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha
Beware the Villainess!
A Silent Voice
My Wife Has No Emotion
Please Give Me Your Blood, I Will Serve You in Gratitude
An Archdemon's Dilemma: How to Love Your Elf Bride
Kumika's Sense of Taste
Spirit Circle
House of the Sun
Orange
Gan-Kon!(axed)
Destroy All Humankind. They Can’t Be Regenerated.
Kids on the Slope
A Bride's Story
Ai-Ren(a romance, but mostly a look at mortality and existence. extremely brutal series, be aware of that)
MARRIAGETOXIN
March Comes In Like A Lion
She is the Rokurokubi
Welcome to Japan, Elf-san!
Paradise Kiss
Komi-san Can't Communicate
My Dress-up Darling

romcom/romance as a part but not the primary focus:
Yakuza Fiance(only read the first volume or two, not sure if it nosedives in quality)
The Population of the Frontier Owner Starts With 0
Company and Private Life(no romance yet, updates with 1-2 pages at a time every week or so, probably something to add to bookmarks and check in like 3 years when there's a decent chunk available :v: )

looking through my mangadex list made me realize I have a shitload of series I added to read and still haven't read, in particular romcoms. makes me wish two things, that I could set mangadex to show series thumbnails with volume 1 instead of the latest volume cover, and to be able to search or sort my library page by genre or tags. a bummer it's just a huge unsorted list.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You're welcome, glad there's stuff in there that you're enjoying and I'm not just recommending into the wind

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Eat The Rich posted:

I'm sort of a manga newbie, I just pounded through Berserk and Vinland Saga. I like OPM and most of anything on Toonami was pretty good.

I'm not really sure which manga to read through next. Im under the impression that most manga has lots of fan service or based in a high school (though steins;gate was real good).

I mostly read when I go to bed and I'd love a long series. Completed or near the end. I like character development, action and dark themes. But I like cuteness, there are adorable moments in both berserk and Vinland that I totally loved.

Based on my own googling, I might read Vagabond. One Piece seems pretty cool. I have a hard time reading through internet recommendations cause manga is hella broad and pretty fuckin horny sometimes.
One Piece rules, yeah, and now's as good a time as any to read it all. if you're not completely opposed to "set in a school" series, there's still quite a lot of good ones in that realm. here's a big ol' list of stuff you can check out that might interest you:

completed:
Fullmetal Alchemist
Monster
I Am A Hero
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Yokohama Shopping Trip
Dorohedoro
Chainsaw Man(main series completed, a sequel series has started)
Pluto
Kumika's Sense of Taste
Parasyte
Attack on Titan
Battle Angel Alita(and all its sequels)
The Observation Record of my Fiancee, the Self-Proclaimed Villainess
Franken Fran
Beastars
Spirit Circle
Ressentiment
Boys on the Run
TEPPU
Hinamatsuri
Blank Canvas, My So-Called Artist's Journey
Akumetsu
Helck
Kids on the Slope
ERASED
A Silent Voice
Silver Spoon

not completed:
Otoyomegatari(Young Bride's Story)
Dungeon Meshi
ONE PUNCH MAN
Shiori Experience
Knight of the Frontier, Bard Loen
Re: Zero
Yona of the Dawn
Land of the Lustrous
Yotsuba&!
The Wrong Way To Use Healing Magic
Asuperu Kanojo(also known as "Asperger's Girl" or "Aspergirl")
Heterogeneous Linguistics
Kaiju Girl Caramelise
My Daughter is an S-Ranked Adventurer

some other series you might enjoy that fall outside your requested types:
Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun!
Zatch Bell! (completed, has a sequel series that started up and is also great)
Oh, My Sweet Alien! (completed)
The Boy Who Cried Wolf Told Another Lie Today (completed)
Paradise Kiss (completed)
Ideal Sponger Life (not completed)

there's a lot of manga!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, the dorohedoro anime is quite good, but it doesn't cover all too much, so you'll have to make the switch eventually. depends on whether you want to do that or just stick with the manga aesthetic the whole way through.

Eat The Rich posted:

Edit: oh also I added a whole bunch of everyone's recs. I'm excited to check out dorohedoro after all the chat about it. I'll be revisiting the post as well as I get through stuff. Thanks everyone. Especially Captain Invictus with that chonker of a list
if I had to narrow it down a little further to stuff I would say prioritize, I'd do this:

completed:
Fullmetal Alchemist
Monster
I Am A Hero
Dorohedoro
Chainsaw Man(main series completed, a sequel series has started)
Pluto
Battle Angel Alita(and all its sequels)
TEPPU
A Silent Voice

not completed:
Otoyomegatari(Young Bride's Story)
Dungeon Meshi
ONE PUNCH MAN
Shiori Experience
Knight of the Frontier, Bard Loen
Yotsuba&!

and if I had to narrow it down EVEN FURTHER to my like, 5 picks I'd say read first, it'd be these in no particular order:

Monster
Fullmetal Alchemist
Dungeon Meshi
Dorohedoro

many series can be read on Mangadex. and if the series is licensed, which most of these are, they are generally linked to from their respective mangadex pages on where you can buy the official volumes.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 24, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

thetoughestbean posted:

Eden: It’s An Endless World, maybe? It’s a very different work, though
different in that it's bad, and not good like land of the lustrous

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

StrixNebulosa posted:

Why is it bad?

Also what would you rec?
one post about Eden I think sums it up best without spoilers is this one from years back:

quote:

I read through all of eden for some reason and wished i hadnt when I finished but it had some cool stuff.
it has some great designs and ideas, but falls flat with the storytelling, multiple character arcs, and has some dramatic moments that fail spectacularly. it's got some neat bits in it, sure. there's a man who has implanted his brain into a cyborg dog body which he's modified to be an efficient killing machine to defend himself with and that's cool! it also has a female character who has a pretty happy ending who breaks away from the depressing main story, only for her to be brought back later for the sole reason to be graphically, horribly murdered along with her husband. there's no other point to it, like the author realized they had done something unambiguously happy for one of their characters and brutally snuffed them out to fix that mistake. it's extremely predictable that you can literally tell which characters will die because they are currently happy with life. very not cool!

I would highly recommend against reading it, because while it does have some good stuff especially earlier on, by the end you will only be disappointed and regret the wasted potential.

as for recommendations, I have a bunch of stuff that might interest you, though I'm not entirely sure if they'd totally fit what you're looking for. so I'll split them into which series I think are top shelf series, stuff with caveats, and unread stuff:

unambiguous recommends:
Pluto
My Wife Has No Emotion
Ghost in the Shell
Appleseed
Heavenly Delusion
Battle Angel Alita(and its sequel series Last Order and Mars Chronicle)
Yokohama Shopping Trip
And Yet The Town Keeps Turning(mostly not sci-fi, but when it does, boy is it fun)
Spirit Circle
Hotel(only read this chapter, it's part of an anthology, the rest is unrelated)
Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction
The Wandering of Girls' Pair No. 7
Ressentiment
Girls' Last Tour
20th Century Boys
The Kodoku Experiment
All You Need Is Kill(the Tom Cruise movie Edge of Tomorrow was mostly based on this)
Hinamatsuri

recommendations with caveats:
Donyatsu(weird, cutesy series with donut-animals but also a starkly realistic-looking world around them with some interesting sci-fi stuff, dunno if it ever finished, the series bombed super hard unfortunately)
I Am A Hero(not hugely sci-fi, it's a pre-and-post-apocalypse, set before, during, and after a world-ending zombie outbreak)
Franken Fran(quite a lot of stuff about human nature, and also quite a lot of hosed UP body horror with oodles of dark humor in between)
Knights of Sidonia(phenomenal sci-fi designs, some really amazing robot designs and settings, and also just some of the dumbest characters imaginable sometimes)
Destronaut(not really a caveat, just that it's a oneshot)
Ai-Ren(existential tragedy, not a perfect series but it really affected me so it might hit you too)
Oh My Sweet Alien(slice of life with a man who married an alien. I really love the epilogue of the series)

stuff I haven't read yet so I'm not sure if they're good or not but you might give them a try:
Saturn Apartments
Leviathan(someone recommended this to me but I've not gotten to it yet)
Memories of Emanon

I hope you find some stuff you enjoy amongst these!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 4, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
what was he trying for

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is it only anime, or would manga suffice too

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cephas posted:

animes are my preference for this request but i won't turn down a good mango
ok I'll separate them into different categories like I have before

absolutely definite recommends:
Hitoribocchi no ○○ Seikatsu
The Jobless Siblings
Yotsuba&!
Hinamatsuri
Bonnouji
Barakamon
Flying Witch(I know you've seen the anime but you might like the manga too)
And Yet The Town Keeps Turning
The Demon King's Daughter Is Too Kind!
Nick and Lever(an extremely Looney Tunes-humor "slice of life" about two americans living in Japan. it owns)
Kumika's Sense of Taste
Way of the Househusband
Hakumei & Mikochi
Tamen De Gushi(Begin With Your Name!)
Isekai Izakaya "Nobu"
Grand Blue
A Story About Smoking at the Back of the Supermarket
Sweetness and Lightning

general slice of life:
Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House
Teen Mom
Sumire 16 Sai!! (and the sequel, absurdist high school slice of life comedy about a teenager who is a puppet)
Kemoraifu
Ryushika Ryushika
Mitsuboshi Colors
Shinryaku! Ika Musume!(Invasion! Squid Girl!)
Ayakashiko
Ran and the Gray World
Golden Eggs
Nomi Joshi
Kowamote Kawamote(I liked what I saw of this but only 4 chapters ever got translated :()
Himouto Umaru-chan
The Helpful Fox, Senko-san
Otaku Elf
Watamote(be wary, if you relate to the MC it might be too cringe for you initially)
Melt Away! Mizore-chan!
Sen To Man
Satoko to Nada

romcom/slice of life:
Hi Score Girl
Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa(My Monster Secret)
Red Light Elegy
Teasing Master Takagi-san (and the sequel)
Love Is Hard For An Otaku
Inubaka
Please Love the Useless Me (and the sequel)
Tokyo "What If" Girls

fantasy/scifi slice of life:
I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years
Slime Life
It's Time for "Torture", Princess!
Interviews with Monster Girls!
Oh, My Sweet Alien!
Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle
Old Knight of the Frontier, Bard Loen
Sodatechi Maou!
The Population of the Frontier Owner Starts With 0
Welcome to Japan, Elf-san!
Monsters Can't Clean
It's My Life
takeo-chan-bukkairoku
My Wife Has No Emotion

apologies for the stupid huge list, but hopefully there's a bunch of stuff you'll enjoy there that you've never seen before.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 11, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
and he gets owned. a lot. I'm pretty sure there's a straight up montage at one point of him just trying a bunch of things to brute force something and getting horribly murdered every time like Edge of Tomorrow

Re:Zero does rule tho, subaru absolutely sucks at first but I have greatly enjoyed his growth

Eat The Rich posted:

Finished Monster and Dorohedoro. They were both pretty incredible, esp Doro. I've been craving gyoza like crazy.
buddy if you want food to crave you should read Dungeon Meshi

I want some Giant Cave Scorpion Hot Pot

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Don't forget the music, thr music is fantastic

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
and cool robots

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I dunno if it would necessarily fit the bill, but Any Sufficiently Advanced Science Is Indistinguishable From Magic might be an enjoyable read for you. It's a doctor who gets isekai'd to a world where magic has supplanted basic medical support, so everyone is beholden to the healers who extort the populace. The artwork is insanely good, and the character designs are amazing and sometimes hilarious(the spider girl who is in Gothic Lolita but also just has six legs besides that is great).

One of the first operations is doing impromptu surgery on a chimera who gets shot by a ballista bolt and detailing the process of removing an impaled object. Another one involves climbing down a dragon's throat to remove a stomach cancer tumor. It's a very fun series :allears:

E: some of the character designs

yakuza dragonkin hell yeah

this guy makes me think of dark souls

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 29, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just ask in this thread, it fulfils the same purpose

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Definitely at least try out vinland saga, dorohedoro, and chainsaw man.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If it has even half the action the manga has it has a lot of action and some WILD kind to boot

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I recommend one of my favorite short stories, Hotel. I highly recommend reading this one chapter and skipping the rest, this was the original release and the rest was done later and is unrelated.

It is a short story about humans triggering the "Venusification" of earth(a theory that could potentially actually happen if we gently caress things up badly enough), and as penance, building a "Hotel" as a memorial of the planet holding the DNA of the animals of earth, controlled by an AI who protects it.

Interestingly, I only learned now when going to find it that this was apparently done by the creator of Doctor Stone a long time ago. Pretty good early work if a one-shot stuck with me all these years.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SexyBlindfold posted:

I don't think the Dungeon Meshi extras (Adventurer's Bible) are easily available as physical copies but y'all should definitely read them somewhere because they're... just great
https://www.amazon.com/Delicious-Dungeon-World-Guide-Adventurers/dp/1975338669

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Any manga humble bundle like that is generally worth the purchase, it's rare that they cram them full of outright garbage, it's usually a significant value in really good series, and often includes the entirety of them if they're completed series.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Destroy All Humankind. They Can't Be Regenerated. maybe? it's a manga about Magic: The Gathering set in 90s japan.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Arc Hammer posted:

Fantasy settings that don't wear TTRPG trappings like mana, guilds and character classes, please. I like those things in moderation but I could really go for something unique that doesn't pull from the usual toy box.
Old Knight of the Frontier, Bard Loen

there's few series I want to see a high budget adaptation more of than Bard Loen. an absolutely beautiful series both in visuals and tone

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Annath posted:

I'm in the mood for some different schlocky trash.

Recommend me a reverse isekai. Doesn't have to be anime, manga and light novels are fine too.

For context about my bad taste - I genuinely enjoyed (most of) Sword Art Online.
Welcome to Japan, Elf-san! is a guy who gets isekai'd when he sleeps, and when he wakes up, he gets un-isekai'd. one day his companion, an elf, winds up back in japan with him. it's relatively laid back and fun.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AlternateNu posted:

Underwater is just space with more pressure.
Ah, so Gurren Lagann.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man I remember that one, it was silly as hell

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BattleMaster posted:

My SO and I really enjoy comedy shows where the main character is some kind of terrible goblin who screams a lot and are often drawn as a chibi blob while they have their "clever" plans or reasoning backfire and they get exactly what they deserve while a straight man character or narrator heedlessly tells them that they are an idiot but things turn out alright and heartwarming in the end. Examples we have watched include Tearmoon Empire, The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated!, 'Tis Time for "Torture," Princess, Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro, and Squid Girl.

I'm sure there are a lot of shows where elements of the above are true, but the key part of those examples is that only the main character is particularly zany for all or most of the runtime, and they get a lot of internal monologue or at least talks out loud to themselves a lot, putting their dumbass thoughts on display for all to see.

edit: For instance we've watched and enjoyed Kaguya-sama: Love is War which has a bunch of elements of that but none of the main characters quite have that "terrible goblin" thing going on.
himouto umaru-chan might fit the bill

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
for manga, The Old Knight of the Frontier, Bard Loen should suit you well. It's not entirely food-focused, but it does spend quite a bit of time carefully preparing meals while out in the wilderness and foraging/hunting for things. The actual storyline and characters are absolutely top notch, as well.

Kumika's Sense of Taste is a fantastic, complete manga about an earth where aliens have made contact and integrated into human society. Kumika is an alien who can subsist entirely off the particles in the air, just by breathing, so she's never had to eat to survive. So when she's introduced to earth food, she learns to love eating for the joy of it, rather than necessity. Very fun, very cute, very chill series. also, one of her coworkers is just a straight-up xenomorph. :allears:

and if you're not averse to overly fanservicey series, Gal Gohan is about a cooking teacher who has a gal join his class. It's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's also Beauty and the Feast which is just one of the most :discourse: localized titles I've ever seen, about a widow who loves to cook but has nobody to cook for anymore after her husband died, until a high school baseball player aiming to go pro moves in next door. It's very charming, and is completed.