Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

gmq posted:

I'm looking for anime made in the last year that'll make me cry of happiness/heartwarming.

I have cried after watching:
- Azumanga Daioh
- Clannad
- CCS (the episode where Sakura breaks her dad's things :negative:)
- Kimi ni Todoke (the fight and reconciliation with her friends :3:)
- Usagi Drop
- My Love Story!!
- Shirobako
- Non Non Biyori (it was almost too chill though)
- Etc

Most recent one:
- Erased

It's a bit older (2011?) but Iroha is really good, slice of life / sometimes heartwrenching show by the same studio that did Shirobako

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Durarara starts DEEP up its own rear end; I remember episode 2 being particularly irritating in that regard, but give it a few episodes and it gets really good.

( the ostensible 2 'main characters' are the least interesting)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

is the newer season worth watching? I watched the first season ages ago and liked it

Yeah it's been really good. It's worth noting that DRRRx2 (the second season) is split into 3 cours, the third just ending recently. I've got about 4 eps left and it's been super entertaining.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

You'd get episodes where they ultimately didn't make much sense though because so much backstory or context was cut out, such as the episode where Izaya was kidnapped by those rival factions. That one episode was an entire volume IIRC.

Didn't really bother me. I just took it at face value since I didn't have another context to know stuff was missing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The possession escalation was a little dopey but i just thought about bakemonogatari and was like "eh big deal".

If it wasnt as long as it is i might be bothered but little things not being perfect is less important than the fact that its entertaining.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

There are a few parodies in binbogami ga but its not the focus really

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah, though the parodies might be beyond the scope of newer anime viewers, for what its worth.

Daicon iv is a good "lotsa crazy animation / pop culture references" tho its just a music video.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I love OnV but it's pretty ancient these days so I just figured I'd make the point.

I love ELO and Gainax so seeing Daicon IV was a revelation. Made the Daicon V joke in FLCL finally make sense too.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I hear Kare Kano kind of falls apart at the end, is that true?

Yes, but it's interesting. It's also interesting to see what I feel is a pretty shojou story pushed through Hideaki Anno's colander and come out way way better than it has any right to.

[as for when it falls apart, see if you can tell where they had partially done episodes under Anno, and episodes that had to be taken over by Kazuya Tsurumaki who has a totally different feel and touch (and experience) than Anno.]

The music cues even get uninspired by the end of the show.

Srice posted:

Anno was booted off the show so he didn't direct the last third or so. Still worth watching tho.

IIRC the mangka hated the tone of the adaptation and got into a fight with Anno and he walked. It would have been tough to boot him from a studio that he cofounded, I would imagine.

(especially since it was behinds the scenes stuff unlike the blow up over ep 4 of TTGL that got the other cofounder booted)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What happened with Gurren Lagaan?

From the wiki

quote:

Takami Akai, the producer of the series and a co-founder of Gainax, announced that he would resign his position effective episode five, which aired on April 29, 2007, over comments that he made regarding posts on the Japanese Internet forum 2channel. Akai and another Gainax employee, Keiko Mimori, made disparaging remarks about comments criticizing the animation style of the fourth episode of Gurren Lagann, which was completely directed by guest and friend Osamu Kobayashi. With regard to reading the fan criticisms, Akai stated that it was "like putting [his] face next to an anus and breathing deeply." Fans later became aware of his comments, and he announced his departure from the company he helped to found.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Iirc the mangaka wanted more focus on drama and they wanted more focus on funny and then introspection, and you can see the gears grinding relatively early.

The first five eps are basically perfect as a miniseries though.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Blhue posted:

was the anime of victorian maid emma any good? i remember its manga was.

oh, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee

The emma manga is fantastic.

The emma anime has a good first season then goes off the rails in the second Hans I think it is gets set up as a romantic rival for Will but it's kinda crappy and the anime ends well before the manga

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Thats good news. The readily available copy is dvd and has some real quality issues.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

I want something funny and action-y and dubbed in english.
Cyberpunk is awesome.

Things I've liked!

One Punch Man
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Black Lagoon
FLCL
The Devil is a Part Timer
Yu Yu Hakusho
.hack//SIGNS
.hack//Liminality
.hack//Legend of Twilight
.hack//ROOTS
Fullmetal Alchemist

Things I didn't like

Tokyo Ghoul (the second season)
Gundam
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Naruto
One Piece
Is it Ok to pick up girls in a dungeon? <<< I hated this.
Tactics

Sorry you watched tokyo ghoul (it is bad). For a similar show / premise but much better executed from like the same season, give parasyte a try.

Edit: if you are looking for less grimdark then maybe not. Its very good but its emotionally more investing than tokyo ghoul.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 19, 2016

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

I got around to watching Kyousougiga after it got recommended so much.

It was pretty good but I'm not really sure it really warranted all of the praise, like "this totally should have been the AOTY the year it came out" praise. Like I've already forgotten most of the details, kind of in one ear and out the other sort of experience.

No poo poo right? IDK if people watched it when it came out or something, but I saw it all at once and it was like "that was neat but everyone busting it out in the rec thread I do not understand."

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

"should we keep the tomato splat sound effect in, or take it out?"

If they use the Manga Ent SE track they are mad men. It's such a shame cuz the dub itself was pretty good... except Hyuga.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ufarn posted:

So am I right in understanding that the Evangelion episodes should preferable watched as Director's Cut?

There are two episodes that have directors cuts, eps 23 and 24 I think. 23 especially has some pretty profound additions and is the version your should watch.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Thats just cuz they are still moving merch isnt it? The end of that first season was reeeeally bad.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Im pretty sure they did. It certainly felt like it was pulled outta someone's rear end.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Srice posted:

If you only watch the Gunsmith Cats OVA and also Riding Bean, then it's a p fun time

Riding bean is neat but it def has a prototype of the weird uncomfortable bullshit that litters the manga.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The gits movie is great but it feels 4 hours long while only being 82 minutes, so the show having slow eps / up and down is true to form.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Very different but both not particularly fast paced. Their bigger set pieces stand out in memory (particularly the movie)but in both versions the action is a much smaller part than we remember.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Mederlock posted:

Monster! It's pretty drat cool

Monster is great! Is there anywhere to watch it legally? Or even a well translated torrent? I ask because I'm pretty sure the copy I'm watching is a broadcast rip with terrible terrible subs.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

There was a rumor about a Pluto OVA a year or two ago that was very disappointing when it didn't materialize.

I don't agree with Shiki, if anything I think it was elevated by the execution. One of my favorites, with a pretty incredible OST and a no nonsense approach to character death.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ulio posted:

Oh ya I meant Another had lovely execution and not Shiki. Shiki is a freakin masterpiece imo and way too underrated. The OST is beautiful I agree.

Oh cool, fwew. Yeah I couldn't get into Another so... theory checks out?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Seriously Hells is GORGEOUS but drags like a sum bitch for like half it's run time.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

One piece is not gonna work for him, but if he hasn't seen one punch man it's basically exactly what he's lookin for.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

DRRR is fun if you like the characters. If you don't like the characters it's miserable. I get a kick outta (most) of them so it's fun.

Going into it however, it is totally up its own rear end the first few episodes, so get over that hump and it becomes more palatable.

The stories are interesting but yeah it drags the poo poo out of them and the gang stuff becomes repetitive.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Last exile was a neat idea with some neat characters, an ok execution for the most part, then a wet explosion of poo poo down the back of their legs.

Basically vintage gonzo.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The second season has some cool stuff but patterns itself after the first season in a way that was already done better, and that undermines the core premise. It has the same problem i have with brave new world, where they write in these holes in the system for what seems like narrative expedience for some reason instead of investigating the system itself. The movie is interesting and definitely a step up from s2 but it suffers from this as well

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

fezball posted:

Saikano
Now and then, here and there
Grave of the Fireflies

and for something less well known: Wolf's Rain

All good bleak choices. If you like manga read the Saikano manga though, way way better done even if the show isn't awful it cuts a lot out and is Gonzo so lots of poo poo rear end animation / CG.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

No no i really doubt it. That said, the internet and world is a very different place when that came out and was the critical darling of adtrw. It'll speak to a certain kind if young anime dork, but i feel the the average age of adtrw has gone up and those sorta of people are probably gonna exist in some other warren.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

To be clear, its a weirdly compelling and strangely heartfelt story and i really enjoy it but you gotta tailor that recommendation.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Tokyo ghoul but not trash? You seen parasyte yet?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Might as well toss Azumanga Daioh in that list as well. It's not as absurdist, but it has some great comedy still :allears:.

I'm rewatching it now and it def is more clunky than I remember. Still has some really good moments but it leans on sweet and cute a lot and there are some eva level beat moments. Having also recently rewatched highchool boys, azumanga is a lot more lethargic.

Working! has alot more 'plot' but it's along similar lines energy wise to hs boyz. though not exactly absurdist.

(I'd forgotten how jarring the 'highschool girl are...!" segments were. It lands at all only if you are familiar with some of the tropes azu and that one band girl slice of life popularized)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Its has a few things working against it. Its over a decade old and is at that awkward early computer coloring phase, its def not a high budget adaptation (though it does improve in the second half). Also, a lot of people are reporting how they felt when they saw it way way back, without having seen it in years so theres a certain amount of nostalgia at work.

I remember loving it when i first saw it, but at the time it was the only thing id seen like that, i was in highschool, and there were way, WAY less anime available, certainly of that ilk.

The manga holds up very well. As has been repeated azu has some nice stuff inside, but i cant really recommend it without some qualifications. If you have to struggle to get into it, i wouldnt worry about it; it doesnt really pay in the way sticking with some other shows that "get good" will. The humor finds itself after a little bit but if you dont find the characters interesting its gonna fall flat, especially some of the longer stretches where they make the same character based jokes over and over and over.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah. That joke's aged about as well as youd expect in tyool 2017.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The only thing that kept me from abandoning my ongoing rewatch early on was Osaka. Everything she does makes me laugh.

It's interesting to me how weird some of the stuff in the show is, and not the surreal parts. Like, when I started I was like "oh yah, the sports chick who likes cat, and the funny teachers!" and then the funny teachers were the focus of the whole secondish ep and it was like "that would have been a much better payoff down the line". Same thing with the sports-cat chick (I'm terrible at these names). I remember really liking her in highschool and looking forward to when she gets some attention, and then they do like three episodes of her with basically the same joke over and over in a row and it was not great.

There's this one moment in ep 12 or 13 I think where there's this dream sequence and they start laughing in that anime / tv show way, you know, where every one is laughing, and then they cut to each character and they are laughing, and it goes ON FOR loving EVER and I was sure it was gonna be a joke about how bizarre all it was and then it was just... that's just how they ended the episode.

Also like 95% of loud yelling dumb girl is really painful.

Again, there's some sweet stuff in it but I'm pretty firmly of the opinion that it's an artifact of its time, and that it doesn't stand up as well in reality as it does in memory.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It goes by fast. Even 4 episodes a week on my last rewatch it was over before i knew it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Just avoid the garbage rear end ova / sequel series.

If trashy is okay: elfen lied, shiki, fate zero