Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kurtofan posted:

Barakamon
Flying Witch
Mobile Suit Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans
Mushishi
Non Non Biyori
Ping Pong the Animation
Sound! Euphonium
Irrespective of genre, these are the ones I liked the most in that list (excluding JoJo, which you said you've seen/are watching). Barakamon, Flying Witch, and Non Non Biyori are fairly chill/feel-good slice of life affairs. Gundam is Gundam, but as someone who normally doesn't like that franchise I enjoyed it a lot. Mushishi is kind of slice of life in a way but probably more skews towards a fascinating/fantastical medical procedural, like picture House but with weird bug monsters/creatures/diseases while also being pretty chill. Ping Pong and Euphonium are super super great dramas/character stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Since it's Mushishi it almost certainly doesn't matter, but I believe that was the first new Mushishi content so technically it was watched by most people before any of the the newer show, so basically a bridge between that and the 2005 original.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Turtlicious posted:

I want something funny and action-y and dubbed in english.
Cyberpunk is awesome.

Things I've liked!

One Punch Man
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Black Lagoon
FLCL
The Devil is a Part Timer
Yu Yu Hakusho
.hack//SIGNS
.hack//Liminality
.hack//Legend of Twilight
.hack//ROOTS
Fullmetal Alchemist

Things I didn't like

Tokyo Ghoul (the second season)
Gundam
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Naruto
One Piece
Is it Ok to pick up girls in a dungeon? <<< I hated this.
Tactics

I think Durarara!! fits the bill, I believe it did get a dub on CR. JoJo would work too but I don't think it has a dub yet.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Knorth posted:

Maybe Moyashimon? It's about some friends going to an argricultural university so mostly adult schoolkids :) It's pretty funny and has a neat gimmick where the main character can see and talk to microbes! They learn a lot about fermentation and how to make sake and have fun college adventures!

I liked Moyashimon when it first aired but I can't help but think of it as a worse Silver Spoon. I mean it does feature high school kids but they deal with some pretty heavy stuff sometimes!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The cast in Silver Spoon is just so endearing, there's nothing even close to that level of character development in Moyashimon IMO. From what I recall of the manga too Moyashimon never really went anywhere interesting in its later arcs whereas Silver Spoon just kept getting better and better (though sadly its release schedule has gotten kind of hosed).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

From what I hear silver spoon is a better manga than anime. Unless things picked up past season 1
The anime is good but the manga, at least when it was releasing chapters consistently, would probably be in the running for my favorite ongoing series. It's fan-loving-tastic. Hiromu Arakawa is a very good author!!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I got around to watching Kyousougiga after it got recommended so much.

It was pretty good but I'm not really sure it really warranted all of the praise, like "this totally should have been the AOTY the year it came out" praise. Like I've already forgotten most of the details, kind of in one ear and out the other sort of experience.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

8th MS Team is a bad show but it has some of the best fights in the entire Gundam franchise, chief among them being the Gouf encounter.
It's a great show!! It's like, that and Turn A when it comes to Gundam shows I'd actually recommend.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

the stupidest, most head-up-rear end characters in the franchise
Because the other shows in the franchise, particularly the Tomino shows, don't feature this?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yep.

1). Original TV series, 1-26, don't skip the last two episodes like some crazy people might say to do
2). End of Evangelion film
3). Rebuild of Evangelion films

All are on Blu-ray though only the Rebuild films have official English releases.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
At this point I don't think you'd be able to avoid watching the Platinum/Remastered version of Eva if you wanted to, the original release has been lost to the ether. Which is fine because the original release looked like garbage.

Technically the Director's Cut versions of some of the later episodes existed well before the Platinum versions, that wasn't something added for just that release. Just where most people probably got to watch them for the first time because ADV's initial release didn't have them. And yeah you should watch those versions instead of the originals. Most releases label them as such, I think the latest Blu-ray release for example literally had two versions of each applicable episode, "DC" and "On-air" or something similar.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 13, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Funimation does seem to be pretty dogged about getting old licenses that they want, they'd been after The Girl Who Leapt Through Time for ages to unify their Hosoda catalog and though it took a while they got it done. Evangelion TV on Blu-ray would be their white whale I'd bet.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DamnGlitch posted:

There are two episodes that have directors cuts, eps 23 and 24 I think. 23 especially has some pretty profound additions and is the version your should watch.
It's the last four episodes before 25-26, so 21 and 22 also have DC versions.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's a stupid conversation to have (re: Usagi Drop) because people will dance around the issue (or not) but basically the story takes a direction at the end of the manga that is extremely off putting and for a lot of people ruins everything that came before it. So the sage advice might be that if you enjoyed what you watched of the anime don't let that get ruined for you.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

Whatever nichibros is actually called
Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, which yeah it's hard for me to think of a better comedy, at least recently.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've only seen the anime but it's pretty decent slice-of-life comedy, though I remember season 2 was kind of bad due to introducing a lame new character and having kind of lovely production values.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I forget where I left off in Birdy, I know it was back in S1. I remember liking it but the fansub situation at the time was annoying for whatever reason. Either really bad video quality or sporadic translations. Presumably that's been resolved by now so I'll probably check it out again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

AlternateNu posted:

I need recommendations for anime that came out this year. I usually have at least two or three under my belt by now for the annual forum vote, but new job has made time for sifting through the typical heaps-o-crap difficult. I haven't even had a chance to watch Diamonds are Unbreakable, yet. :/

But, I am going to try to hunker down and knock a few series out with some upcoming free time. So, lay'em on me.
Looking through the 2016 Winter to Fall season threads, this is what I wound up both sticking with to the end and ultimately fully enjoyed/would recommend:

Durarara!!
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Flying Witch
JoJo
Re:Zero
Amanchu
Gundam IBO S2
Sound! Euphonium S2
March Comes in like a Lion
WWW.Working!!

Last four and JoJo of course are airing now so theoretically the jury could still be out on them, but I'd say they're pretty safe bets to remain cool.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 10, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel that if you're going to experience Erased you're much better off reading the manga where it doesn't super rush the ending.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cock and Balzac posted:

I'm gonna have a bunch of spare time the next couple months, so I wouldn't mind some manga recommendations myself. Here's some stuff I've really liked:

parasyte
freesia
uncivilized planet
sanctuary
japanese tengu party illustrated
planetes
onani master kurosawa
ciguatera
witches
nijigahara holograph
solanin
bokurano
narutaru
cat street
the lucifer and biscuit hammer
emma
national quiz
short cuts
boku to issho
himizu
goodnight punpun

My only stipulation would be its gotta be finished. There's a ton of good ongoing stuff (historie, vinland saga, dorohedoro, soil, etc.), but I just can't live that month-to-month manga life.
If you liked Biscuit Hammer there's a decent to good chance you will also like Spirit Circle and/or Sengoku Youko, both of which are finished.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Molester Man is decent but it's nowhere near as good as Onani Master Kurosawa.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

porco rosso
Yeah!! It always gets overlooked for some reason but that one's my favorite.

Pretty much everything prior to Spirited Away is worth watching though except for Pom Poko and Ocean Waves. Maybe My Neighbors the Yamadas too, though I haven't seen that one.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's quite the coincidence, I've been watching Decode as well and I'm one episode (plus the special) away from finishing S2.

S2 is GREAT. Just top to bottom a great time, with an extremely compelling story with a strong emotional core for both old characters and new. I had started the first season back when it was first airing and got maybe halfway before I think fansubs dried up (for some reason it was really hard to get decent fansubs of Birdy for a long time), but at the time S1 just wasn't interesting enough for me to want to revisit it again.

And yeah S2's OP is pretty great, I thought it sounded familiar and sure enough it's by the same group that did the cool 4th OP of Eureka Seven.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Torquemadras posted:

Mind you, I have no idea how the story continues from that point, or how close it is to the manga to begin with, but right now I would murder for a S3... which hasn't happened for eight years and probably will never happen

Man, this is just twisting the knife.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

RabidWeasel posted:

I still want Spice & Wolf S3, can we knife fight for it?

(I should really watch Birdy, it gets recommended a lot)
At least with Spice & Wolf there are the LNs out in English and they're pretty great.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kuno posted:

I'm not really an anime man but I've been watching the JoJos and enjoying them. I'm kind of considering subbing to Crunchyroll because it sucks to always be a week behind, and I guess abstractly it would be good to support the show/site since I don't watch the ads... but I kind of don't want to sub just for something that gives me like a half hour of entertainment a week and is also ending in a few months maybe? I don't actually know how much is left of the series.

So, what shows should I watch to justify the subscription? I would like things with a generally upbeat tone (doesn't have to be looney tunes 24/7 but I'm not really in the mood for depressing poo poo atm.) With some sort of fantastical setting, be that fantasy, sci-fi or real world with a twist. Preferably with some level of action/adventure, I'm not so much interested in watching a show about the mundane life of Japanese schoolkids unless the schoolkids also have punch-ghosts.
E: Actually this reply of mine is kind of dumb since you could just watch these now given that they're finished, but gently caress it I'll keep it up. Running through the their catalog this is what I came up with with that criteria (omitting a lot of shows that I thought were great but were either super serious and/or didn't really have much out of the ordinary with the setup):

Amagi Brilliant Park
Angel Beats
Arakawa Under The Bridge
Bakemonogatari and other -gatari shows
Bodacious Space Pirates
Chaika
Durarara!!
Flying Witch
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Girls und Panzer
Gunbuster 2
Gurren Lagann
Re:Zero

Some of those might not be available in a given region, I didn't check. I think in particular you should give FMA, Durarara!!, Re:Zero, and Bodacious Space Pirates a look. And if you do want something that is a bit more "grounded" then go for Shirobako, Chihayafuru, Sound! Eunphonium, and the currently airing March comes in like a Lion because all of those are sooooooooo great and some of the best CR has to offer.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 25, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

HxH isn't Jojo's and is more overtly "anime" in some respects but it's a good followup if you enjoy the combination of good character writing and fights based on elaborate logic. There are four protagonists who range from 13-year-old kids to adults, the main two are the kids but it sets aside time for each of them. It's set in a sort of vaguely-defined fantastic setting that's kinda modern in some respects and less so in others.
I knew I was going to forget some shows in my mad dash through the CR catalog, but yeah Kuno Hunter x Hunter is probably another safe bet for you. I'm not the biggest fan of HxH in general but I think there'd be a decent amount of crossover between it and JoJo fans.

Also Yona of the Dawn to the general list I had, that's a great fantasy action adventure story if you want something more on the romance/shoujo side.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Bonnouji doesn't really have a love triangle, though? Not that it isn't wonderful of course. Also if you're willing to open the manga Pandora's Box then the sky's the limit for shoujo/josei romances really since a lot will feature a female lead.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

AlternateNu posted:

I actually just started Re:Zero, myself and am up to episode 5.

Please tell me the twin maids actually become good characters.
Rem in particular in the not-too-distant future from where you are becomes one of the best characters in the show.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Basically anything by Mamoru Hosoda is the poo poo, which includes the aforementioned Wolf Children as well as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, and The Boy and the Beast. One could argue he essentially took up the mantle of family friendly/universally entertaining from Ghibli following their exit.

If you'd like something a bit more cerebral/darker, take a gander at Satoshi Kon's output (my favorite is Millennium Actress).

E: The discussion we had with Kuno about 2 pages ago is probably also worth reading, most/all of it would probably apply to you as well.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 8, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Squinty posted:

So, Trump is about to crown himself king of the world and I'm feeling a bit numb. My plan is to shut down for the weekend with some good, cathartic animes. Something kind of melodramatic but with a good happy-cry at the end, sort of along the lines of AnoHana except maybe a bit happier. Ideas?
First thing that came to mind was Key stuff so maybe Angel Beats and if you have the time for it CLANNAD?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sound! Euphonium has so much going for it, the drama is heartfelt with very empathetic characters, the animation is positively breathtaking, the music is done exceptionally well with a lot of attention to detail if you're a music/band nerd, and of course some lovely subtle/not-so-subtle romance developments. It's very easy to get caught up in the cast's struggles and cheer for them to succeed. It's so great.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Barakamon was pretty god drat funny.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

is everybody in Clannad: After Story a compulsive liar

i'm not even complaining, this is weirdly entertaining and has way more personality than most Key stuff, but drat
Which part are you in, it's been too since I've seen AS to remember. Unless it was for comedic parts?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not really that much of a HxH fan, and while I "get it" wrt those gifs I'm not really sure it's selling the show all that much.

Hunter x Hunter is definitely incredibly unique as far as shounen fighting stories go. It's not exactly apples to apples but if I were to pick out *something* in that genre to scratch the JoJo itch it's probably the closest one you'll get. Togashi as an author does an excellent job of taking seemingly innocuous/goofy elements and combined them with downright dire and dark poo poo, with a lot of world building and unique ways to utilize the powers it prescribes to the characters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yona is an amazing Korean-themed fantasy/romance/action story about our titular main character roaming the countryside righting wrongs and wooing the hearts of all. The main cast is incredibly charming and it's so much fun seeing them interact with each other and kick butt. Yona in particular is one of the best MCs in that genre that I can think of at the moment, though she it might take a while before she does cool poo poo I don't really remember.

E: Catfish already said it but I will also second the Twelve Kingdoms rec

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 13, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, Tokyopop put them out. However I don't think they got past where the anime ends. There are some translations for some of the later books here though: http://eugenewoodbury.blogspot.com/2009/04/the-twelve-kingdoms-novels.html

To be honest though even they don't exactly fully wrap things up, the series at least last I checked hasn't had a full new book out in a while.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ninjewtsu posted:

i need something that isn't very serious and has some really good action
I assume you've probably already seen/are watching reading/bounced off the big shounen stuff, right? Cause for better or worse the first thing that came to mind was One Piece, Onepunch Man, and My Hero Academia.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ninjewtsu posted:

i know what you're saying, and it's not that hxh isn't kinda slow, but man i loving wish naruto/dbz/bleach had hxh's pace. naruto at least has cool enough fight scenes that i'd probably actually watch it

i have not seen one piece, but from what i gather...

is exactly right. sadly, i have seen one punch man, and my hero academia (both were really good, even though MHA kind of overused the swelling music while deku cries thing)

i gave soul eater a shot last night. i liked the first episode fairly well. i've heard the name around but tbh i didn't know anything about it and what i got wasn't quite what i expected (i'm glad it's literally about eating souls though). also that moon is rad as hell and i love it.

i'm gonna try to give re:cutie honey a shot some time today too.
Oh, oh! Ever watch Baccano! and/or Durarara!! ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The ending to Last Exile was profoundly disappointing IMO. Though I want to say I remember a sequel manga coming out at some point that alleviated at least one major grievance I had with it (a character I liked a lot turning out to still be alive); problem was that said sequel manga was pretty awful.