Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Jabarto posted:

Could use a few recommendations.

My favorite animes

Cromartie High School
Spice and Wolf

Stuff I liked

Level E
The Devil is a Part Timer
Panty and Stocking
Golden Time
Cowboy Bebop

Stuff I'm intrigued by

Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu
Haibane Renmei
Excel Saga
Mushishi (this one especially)
FLCL
Outlaw Star

Stuff I didn't like

Azumanga Daioh
Toradora

cool introspective stuff:
- Gatchaman CROWDS (on the nature of being a hero)
- Natsume Yuujinchou (on the nature of being human; chill and melancholy, but heartwarming)

SERIOUS SPACE TIMES:
- Kaiba (also about what being human means, but in a sci-fi way)
- Gunbuster/Diebuster (rad as heck, in very different ways)

not-so-serious space times:
- Bodacious Space Pirates (reminds me a good amount of Outlaw Star, actually)

a look at the animation industry, serious and comedic in turns:
- Shirobako (don't be fooled by the first 5 minutes, it's not a high school club anime)

your picks make you seem like you might be the allergic-to-high-school type, but if not, good comedies:
- Everyday Lives of High School Boys (if you were ever an adolescent boy, you can relate to this)
- Nichijou (enough not-HS stuff to be worth a look even so)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
oh. Yeah, if you haven't watched your intrigued list , they're all good.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
FLCL has a solid dub. They seem to have prioritized getting VAs that sound like the jp characters. If you're a filthy dub-watcher, it's a good choice, though I prefer the jp audio.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is Mushi-shi a generally recommended show here for non-anime watchers?

It's really really good, and I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't throw up at the sight of animation.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Just saw video girl ai pop up on kissmanga. I remember seeing ads all the time for that in magazines when I was a kid, is it any good? Says it's completed.

I don't remember a thing about it, but I've seen it and apparently gave it a 5/10.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
the real answer is, yeah, you gotta watch just about all of them

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

I actually just started Re:Zero, myself and am up to episode 5.

Please tell me the twin maids actually become good characters.

They develop in very different directions, and Rem has an absolutely fantastic arc.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

I have almost exclusively kept my anime related shenanigans to video games, but I think I want to finally put in the effort to look outside that platform for enjoyable cartoon adventures. This seems like the best place to ask for help in getting started, so I hope my questions dont come off as dumb or offensive. I dont really know where to even start since I had no idea just how much there was out there and how many genres were covered. I guess Im looking for something that would have comedy (dark or goofy, doesny matter), decent action scenes, and something that is really character driven. I also dont mind being hit in the feels if its a good sad story. Sci-fi and history related stuff is just a bonus. I would even watch anime based on video games if it isnt half bad (though I expect this to be as rare as good movies based on games).

If it helps I even have a small list of things Ive watched and loved! Most of it is from the 80s/90s because Im old. Dragon Ball, Fist of the North Star, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, My Neighbor Totoro, and Grave of the Fireflies. Games wise I mostly enjoy playing the Nippon Ichi games, Neptunia (it handles taking itself not very seriously just the right amount), and the older Final Fantasy games. The Shin Megami Tensei series are by far my favorites, though this is probably a hard one to find anything similar to.

Even if its just pointing me in a general direction I would appreciate any and all help. :shobon:

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is good fantasy adventure, with a good story, great characters, and fun comedy. The opening episodes are a bit rushed for reasons too complicated to get into, but it evens out maybe 10 eps in. Good subbed or dubbed. My go-to recommendation to folks newish to anime looking for action-adventure.

If you're not allergic to robots, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is great hotblooded action with good goofy comedy, great animation, and a scale to its fights that scales ad absurdum. One of my favorites.

Kaiba, another of my faves, has only sparing action, and its comedy is fleeting and dark, but it's a fantastic sci-fi story by my favorite anime director, Masaaki Yuasa, that explores a spacefuture where memories can be saved and transfered, and bodies swapped.

For a confluence of sci-fi and history, it's hard to go wrong with the classic Legend of the Galactic Heroes (the thread title is a reference to the fact that it used to be overrecommended, but I think it fits here!). A reforming monarchy and a corrupting democracy clash in a huge 100+ episode space opera that can be dry at times, but is absolutely fantastic.

For a shorter thing, I recommend Gunbuster and its sequel Diebuster, each a six-episode OVA series. Made nearly two decades apart, they're quite different stylistically and thematically, but they're both beautifully animated and tell a wonderful character-driven story about mankind's fight against alien monsters. Gunbuster has some neat hard sci-fi elements to it that are really rad. Also robots.

Also check out Mushishi for a super chill time in a historical-ish Japan (maybe 19th century? it's vague) where mushi, strange living organisms that can't always be seen, coexist with humans and nature. Our protagonist is a mushishi, and he goes around Japan addressing issues between humans and mushi, restoring balance and smoking his cool cigs.

There's lots more, but I'll leave it at that for now! Enjoy your anime adventures!

e: whatever you watch, talk about it with us! This thread works for things you've been recommended, I know we have a Galactic Heroes thread around here somewhere, and the chat thread is a fine (if quick-moving) place to chat about whatever you're watching/playing!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Do I miss anything jumping straight to Brotherhood or is it just an updated version of the original? Also holy crap Galactic Heroes ran for 13 years, I feel kind of dumb for never hearing about it let alone having never watched it.

Any recommendations for movies? Its going to take a while to find and watch some of those since it appears most of them ran for quite a few years so I wouldnt mind breaking it up with something else.

e: Whats the general opinion on Berserk? Its the one my friend keeps pushing me to watch.

Where the first FMA anime went its own way after the first half due to the manga being fairly new at the time, Brotherhood is a much more faithful adaptation. It rushes through in ~10 episodes what the first covered in 25 (thus the weird pacing), but it's its own thing.

For movies, just about anything Ghibli that catches your eye, of course. For lesser-known Ghibli, I'd recommend Porco Rosso, about a pigman flying a seaplane in the interbellum Mediterranean and fighting sky pirates. Tokyo Godfathers is a really neat story about a group of homeless folks on the streets of Tokyo who find a baby. Very funny, and very touching. Really, anything by the late Satoshi Kon is good. Wings of Honneamise is a cool older flick about the fledgling space program of a nation at war. I really adored the attention to detail for the setting and backgrounds. The first two Patlabor movies are great. They're technically sequels to the Patlabor OVAs, but, though those are also well worth watching, they stand on their own well enough. We have a thread for Patlabor that probably sells it better than I could. Note that they and the OVAs are directed by Mamoru Oshii, the director for Ghost in the Shell. For a silly pulp sci-fi romp, check out Dirty Pair: Project Eden, which has the kickingest '80s soundtrack.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

eatenmyeyes posted:

I'm a few episodes into Utena and liking it so far. Seriously though, how many times are they going to show her climbing those stairs?

Repetition is a big part of Utena. It's the best.

e: oh, that was from weeks ago. Whatever, it's true.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm admittedly higher on it than a lot of folks

hmm, you don't say

but yeah it's really good

you might be overselling it, though

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The two you've been watching plus the two that have been recommended are the main shows I'd recommend to anyone who'd watched one of them and wanted more.

If you want to go more to the supernatural side of things, like the weirder parts of Mushishi, we have Mononoke (and the last arc of Ayakashi, which has the same lead character).

If you like the super chill pastoral parts of Flying Witch, Non Non Biyori is that but without any supernatural stuff.

Hotarubi no Mori e is just a short movie, but feels pretty much like a long episode of Natsume.

Kaiba is sci-fi rather than fantasy, but has a similar feel to Kino's Journey, and is directed by the always-fantastic Masaaki Yuasa. It develops a plot eventually, but a lot of the episodes are, "arrive at a strange world, see a glimpse of how it works and what that says about its inhabitants and humanity, move on." Very similar to Kino in that.

And oh yeah, Haibane Renmei! It probably fits the most squarely of my recommendations into the chill+supernatural slot, and it has fantastic music and a wonderfully moving ending too.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The broad strokes of GL aren't particularly surprising, but its execution is nearly flawless. It looks great, it sounds great, and it always makes me want to scream like Nobuyuki Hiyama so as to let out any excess manly spirit, no matter how many times I watch it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

The Redline recommendation I got here is why I came back to ask about more stuff to watch. That poo poo was awesome in every possible way.

What is the general opinion of upcoming 2017 animes? I didnt really like Berserk or Attack on Titan, and other than those Im not too in the know on what else is coming. Should I watch the old FLCL before the new one comes out?

The seasonal thread up there is probably the better place to ask, but from what's airing this season, I think the only thing with universal appeal is probably Little Witch Academia.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
At least some of the 12K LNs are available in English, past the anime end. I think they may have stopped publication? What I read was pretty good, though.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I only read official copies I borrowed from a friend, and there was non-anime stuff, so there's at least a bit more for those craving a 12K fix.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
and to preempt the question:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

User0015 posted:

I need some recommendations. Let me break down likes, dislikes and recently enjoyed.

Things I've enjoyed in the past or present:
  • One punch man
  • JoJo
  • Log Horizon
  • Grimgar
  • SAO/Accel World (mediocre)
  • KonoSuba
  • Soul Eater
  • Fairy Tail (mediocre but fast paced)
  • Spice and Wolf
  • Psychopass

Things I love:
  • Shows that don't take themselves to seriously.
  • Shows about adventure or new worlds
  • Shows that are ridiculous or absurd

poo poo I hate:
  • Slice of life anime. Bonus points if they're all high school kids.
  • Anime about sports (fantasy sports don't count, maybe, assuming that even exists)
  • Gratuitous Gore/Bloody/Super violent. Read: Elfen Lied levels of gratuitous. Psychopass/Berserk are fine.

Please help me pick some fun, good, nice things to watch!

Hitsugi no Chaika came immediately to mind, and sounds right up your alley. It's fun fantasy adventure with good action scenes that doesn't take itself seriously.

You might like Full Metal Panic. It's high schoolers, but not at all SoL. Fun robot action and good comedy intermixed for the first season, just comedy for the second, and just action for the third (which is by kyoani!).

If you like absurd action, it's hard to go wrong with the better Gainax stuff like Gunbuster/Diebuster, FLCL, and Gurren Lagann. Along with P&SwG mentioned above, for pure comedy.

Katanagatari is great action with fun dialogue, and even when poo poo goes down towards the end, it never quite takes itself seriously.

Bodacious Space Pirates is great fun: space piracy has has been reduced to a tourist attraction, and one of the great old pirate ships has a new captain. Although it's adapted from LNs titled "Miniskirt Space Pirates" it's not nearly as salacious as that sounds - or at all, actually. It's just a fun space adventure with a female cast. It scratches a similar itch to Outlaw Star, if you ever saw that back in the day. If not, well check it out, it's also a fun space adventure.

This past season's Flip Flappers is great, and most episodes have the main characters exploring a new dream world. Great animation, great story, great story; can't recommend it enough. It tied for 3rd in our 2016 AotY thread.

I could go on, but that's probably enough.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
oh, if you've somehow managed to not see Fullmetal Alchemist, that'd be a good one. Brotherhood, not the old one.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
A good very shoujo romance is House of the Sun/Taiyou no Ie. I also really enjoy Fruits Basket for shoujo romcom. They both have a nice focus on family as well as romance.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I don't think anyone's "tricked" into reading Kurosawa by the fact that they didn't translate onani. I mean, folks call it Fap Note.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's a great story about a creeper growing up and becoming not, I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't turned off by anything sexual or offended by the idea of masturbation.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Erostratus posted:

I'm almost completely new to anime and i'd like to change that. Literally the only anime i've seen was Samurai Champloo, which i enjoyed but i'm looking for something different. I really, really loved Aeon Flux and i'm looking for anything that ticks off some of the same boxes that it did for me.

I really liked the dystopian universe, the gloominess, the experimental nature, the distinctive art style, the "outsider" aspects of it, the smartness, and just the weirdness.

Anything that captures half the spirit of it would probably be up my alley.

Serial Experiments Lain comes to mind when I hear the words "gloomy," "experimental," "outsider," and "weirdness." As does Kaiba, which throws in a distinctive art style. Really anything by Kaiba's director, Masaaki Yuasa, is probably going to fit that. Maybe start with his movie Mind Game, since it wouldn't be as much of a time commitment.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Yeah, LH got plenty of love, and then it trickled off over the first half of s2. My MAL says I got a half dozen eps in.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

hey i havent watched anime in a while. i loved school rumble and slam dunk anime, basically romantic comedy stuff or funny shows with romantic vibes. I ddin't like Toradora. I liked monthly girls nozaki kun. also i hate any anime that has that default brown haired timid anime protaganist so its hard for me to find shows to watch in this genre, thanks

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless is a good comedy with vaguely romantic overtones. Lots of crushes, cute practically married not-quite-couples, and it's hilarious. First ep, before they introduce more of the cast, is easily the weakest.

Spice and Wolf isn't really focused on the romance or the comedy, it's focused on medieval economics - but it's there throughout in all the little interactions between the leads. They're adorable. Show's great besides, too.

Tonari no Seki-kun
is a hilarious short anime (half-sized episodes) about a girl obsessing over her classmate who's always goofing off in class. It's not explicitly romantic, but she's totally crushing.

Working (or the more googlable Wagnaria in the west) is a fun romcom with that rarest of things: a sense of progress throughout. Characters learn, and change, and it's got a fantastic last season that takes its time to tie up all the loose ends. Some folks don't like the main character, but his obvious flaws greatly diminish as the series goes on, and everyone around him is a ton of fun.

and I'll also throw another vote onto the pile for Ore Monogatari.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Azumanga's OP is still my nuclear option for getting other songs out of my head. It has the tendency to stick around for days or even weeks, though, so it's a last resort.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I reread the manga occasionally, and it absolutely stands up. I'd always preferred its sense of timing.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

JD posted:

Recommend me something that will make me think, something smart and provocative but maybe not too violent

Also another one that's dark like Madoka or Evangelion, this one can be violent

I'm going to recommend anything by Yuasa. My favorite is Kaiba, though I think most would say The Tatami Galaxy or his fantastic movie Mind Game. Tatami has the benefit of being available for streaming, on funi.

Nothing particularly violent in these, iirc, but certainly dark on occasion.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
or The Big O, if you've never seen that

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I don't think that there should be a blanket recommendation at all. That's the point of this thread.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

I've gotten into streaming anime lately and been enjoying it quite a bit. Just finished Madoka the other day, and before that was Katanagatari, so I'm coming off of a couple of pretty emotionally weighty shows. Anyone have any suggestions for something light and fun to watch in a group?

you should watch Love Live! Sunshine!!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

I had actually been toying with picking that up for a while, but I was a little leery since I bounced off of the original pretty hard. What's it do better, you think?

I'll let my AotY thead post answer for me:

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It's no secret that I love live, but I've always acknowledged the weaknesses of the OG anime. Sunshine addresses most of those: the cast act more like friends, the humor is better and more varied, the drama is spread out and foreshadowed rather than dropping like a bomb in the last few episodes, and I like all the characters. It's not without its flaws, most notably eternally-moody Kanan and the bizarre choice to make the last episode of a one cour show mostly a recap, but it's cute and funny and pretty (the hair! the eyes!) and I love it.

and I'd say its relative strengths are all the more striking comparing just first seasons.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
ACCA! Watch ACCA!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Well they're asking for Zvezda-like, so they must have some tolerance.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Silvergun1000 posted:

I've been watching through Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Patlabor 2, and I'm totally in the mood for some more politically driven anime in the same vein. Anybody got some good recommendations? Thanks!

Last season's ACCA is a great political story that's as much about the different cultures of the fictional country it takes place in as the political drama itself. It has an awesome OP and a fantastic soundtrack, too.

ACCA! Watch ACCA!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
ACCA! (recommend to your friend that she ) Watch ACCA!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sundae posted:

Could anyone please recommend a show my wife and I can watch together? We have our fill of action stuff right now with Attack on Titan, but I'd like something a bit more laid-back to watch too. The less ridiculously unnecessary fan-service the better. (Adult content that adds something to the story is just fine, though.)

WE BOTH LIKED:
Erased (This is our favorite series so far)
Time of Eve (Loved the art style, thought the concept was wonderfully executed)
Pick a Miyazaki film, any Miyazaki film. (I loved From Up on Poppy Hill and Spirited Away in particular)

WE BOTH HATED:
Steins Gate (hated the main character and it managed to open with four straight episodes where nothing happened whatsoever)

WE HAD HIGH HOPES FOR:
The Lost Village (Awesome premise ruined by lovely execution, left us thoroughly disappointed by the end)

WE LOVED BUT COULD DO WITHOUT ANOTHER...
Grave of the Fireflies. (You know exactly what I mean here.)

Any ideas? :)

ACCA! Watch ACCA!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Delicious in Dungeon is fantastic. I also recommend Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer and Spirit Circle for good fun action with great storytelling.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Eela6 posted:

How do I get into Mecha stuff?

So far I've only really watched Gurren Lagann & NGE. I've never seen a Gundam. Should I watch a Gundam?

I tend to like upbeat stuff. Big plus if the music is really catchy. Recent shows I've liked include My Hero Academia, Sympghogear, Demi-Chan, Konosuba, & Assasination Classroom. That said, I don't mind serious if it pays off well.

Patlabor might be a good choice. The focus is on the people rather than the robots most of the time, but it's generally a fun, happy show with occasional cool police stuff and mecha fights. The general recommended viewing order is the Early Days OVAs, then the first two movies, then, if you still want more, reset the timeline and watch Patlabor TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

fezball posted:

Gunbuster/Diebuster come to mind, they're awesome and also relatively short.

If you want music with your mecha, Macross is the obvious pick (although the older series tend to overplay their songs a lot). Macross Plus is a standalone OVA that doesn't require much knowledge about the setting, and Macross: Do you remember love is a movie retelling of the original TV series - both of them are a good start into the franchise.

And for something more recent, Kuromukuro strikes a really good balance between fun, action and drama.

the 'Busters are a great rec, and imo definitely the best next step