Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amorphous Blob posted:

Goten is a cool boy and it's not his fault hes his dad's mini me.

Yes it is, Goten went back in time and became Bardock's father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Who is the Bender to Goten's Fry?

You have to ask who is best friend who always gets him into trouble is?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YYH owns because the eventual plot resolution is "holy poo poo fighting people like shonen protagonists sucks and means you can never have a healthy life" and Kuwabara and later Yusuke both retire so they can stop being crazy assholes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I know there's goofy extended-univerese stuff that explains where most of the characters are, like Gohan making his own book and stuff. Is there anything that explains what Goten goes on to do?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Goku already had a heart condition, it's honestly quite sensible.

Vegeta probably could have lived to 100 but he wasn't about to let Kakarott beat him to dying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm just saying that if you have a virus that almost kills you and leaves you screaming and in agony for days you're probably not going to come out of it without long-term damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cozz posted:

Maybe Goku would have future heart issues...if he didn't die (that hole in his chest was healed the first time he died ) and was given his life back by a deity of the universe.

I don't think that being revived from the dead actually fixes long-term health conditions. Frieza was still in pieces after all. Just... alive pieces. Plus I don't think you can be revived from 'natural' death.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

Goku has lived his life fighting stronger and stronger people. He dies the second he truly becomes strongest in the multiverse. Or, at least, he won't have any reason to be alive.

But what if Frieza trains for NINE months?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of Gohan, is there any reason they didn't just repeat the Super Saiyan God ritual for every single saiyan? I mean, they were able to do it with Vegeta apparently, so why not also hook Gohan up with that sweet god ki.

Super actually gives a pretty good explanation for this. Goku punches so hard with God Ki that he almost destroys the entire universe. Probably not something you want in the hand of Gotenks or a dude with severe anger issues.

(Probably not Vegeta either honestly.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zedd posted:

Yes, yes we do.

We the viewers do obviously because the universe being murdered and replaced by a donut is hilarious.

Raxivace posted:

Gohan has always needed other people to get anything done. The second he tries to fight alone he usually fucks up hilariously badly.

This applies to most of the cast, especially in Z. Name one fight Goku won alone post-Dragonball.

Edit: I guess the dude who sucks energy?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kild posted:

Goku vs the Ginyu squad. Goku vs Nappa. Goku vs Mecha Frieza.

e: Oh and Yakon. He would've beat Kid Buu too if he didn't let Vegeta get his turn.

Goku vs Ginyu: Two were taken out by Vegeta and Goku lost his body and had to be rescued by other people.
Goku vs Nappa: I guess it counts. Nappa took a pounding but it didn't slow him down.
Goku vs Mecha Frieza: Didn't happen. I guess techically it happened in another timeline but in another timeline Krillin beat Majin Buu so hey.
Goku vs Buu: Nah, he'd have gotten his face pushed in if not for Vegeta (plus Satan assist)

Vegeta and Future Trunks probably have the best solo record. Vegeta for his long-rear end killing spree on Namek + a few kills after and Trunks since he technically ganks two Androids, Cell, Frieza and King Cold without help.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 17, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kild posted:

Goku regained his body on his own and took out Ginyu. He wasn't really rescued.

Goku regained his body after Ginyu got his poo poo pushed in by other people. He'd have died otherwise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kild posted:

Considering how weak Ginyu was in Goku's body was I think even Goku in Ginyu's hurt could've beat him. And its not like they beat him up to get Goku's body back.

Yes they did. That is in fact how Goku got so badly injured and why he needed to be healed.

At this point you're also arguing "Well, he probably COULD have won that fight" instead of "he did win that fight" which kind of defeats the point. Goku did not defeat Kid Buu or Ginyu on his own.

(Edit: Also, looking it up, I don't see where Goku says he could have beaten Kid Buu.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 17, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kild posted:

Their goal was not to beat Ginyu up so badly he'd swap with Vegeta and have Goku toss himself in.

I... guess I'm not sure how you're arguing that as a solo win for Goku considering it was part accident and actively involved Ginyu being distracted fighting someone else while Goku threw a frog.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really enjoy the idea of a super form being renamed because Goku can't say it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skaw posted:

The Earth is the prize in all of this, so it's obviously time for the Champ to save it again. Satan for the fifth man. Versus mirror universe Satan as Champa's fifth man.

But Champ is in the other universe!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

I don't know how to interrupt this.

It means "pay for college."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hjalmar posted:

could future gohan beat up dad gohan

Future Gohan got punked by Androids who are weaker than the androids from the present timeline.

Krillin can beat Future Gohan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Esroc posted:

Didn't that game have Super Saiyan Gohan, but no way to unlock him without a Gameshark/Action Replay?

Nah. Only Goku and Vegeta, the latter of whom was the hidden superboss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

You are correct! The game includes a Super Saiyan Gohan sprite but there is no way to unlock it during gameplay. If you hack it in with a Game Genie your entire party becomes super saiyan and the game crashes almost immediately.

My best guess is that he might have been there as an alternative/hidden gameplay mechanic if Goku/Piccolo died against freeza. I mostly think this because it is hilarious in light of the most recent DBZ abridged.

I could be misremembering but what I think actually happens in this case is that it's just pallet-swapping. There are actually codes (as well as at one point a fully-featured editor) which made it pretty trivial to alter characters by swapping their pallets. Gohan in this case just ends up as kid Gohan with yellow hair since he swaps pallets with SSJ Goku. I remember fooling around with it and making SSJ Yamcha. (Who was one of the only other characters with hair!)

You could also pretty trivially hack any character into your party since they all functioned under similar rules.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Asuron posted:

There's nothing to really say about Super. It's a pile of dogshit that's making GT look good.

They put Dragonball back on tv with a new series and aren't putting the effort into actually making it even slightly decent other than a few isolated moments of comedy with Vegeta. I imagine most viewers have just dropped the show by now, I know I certainly did when I saw the direction it was going.

No, you're just being ridiculously hyperbolic and it makes you look pretty silly.

"This show... it's... it's repeating material viewers are already familiar with and doesn't have the best animation. Clearly this is unheard of for an anime and everyone must despise it! They certainly must think it is far worse than Dragonball Z, a show that repeated material viewers were already familiar with and didn't have the best animation!"

Edit: I really do find it kind of funny that Super is basically More Dragonball Z and you get people flipping out because it doesn't match their rose-tinted nostalgia glasses for the original show but instead actually matches the original show. It's an interesting view into what the internet would have been like if DBZ was airing for the first time now.

Also seriously if viewers dumped anime because it had poor pacing, bad animation and so-on, stuff like Naruto and One Piece woulda died ages ago.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 18, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Asuron posted:

It feels like you're projecting really hard here. I find it bad and stopped watching it and I see very little discussion on it anywhere. That's all

I mean I don't even really like Dragonball Z, it was Dragonball I liked the most. Why would I want to watch what is basically Z, except with no real excuse other than Toei was lazy and knew it would make money regardless of the quality? That's all I was saying mate.

I'm pretty sure I'm not projecting into you calling it a "pile of dogshit." v:shobon:v

As far as people not discussing it, it looks like it has pretty active discussion threads on any anime board I care to check. It's relatively dead in discussion here because it's largely going over older material at the moment so there isn't a lot to discuss. The Naruto anime thread on this subforum is a lot deader than the manga thread was largely because there's a lot less in terms of discussion material when everyone knows what is going to happen.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 18, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Asuron posted:

You already said it has bad pacing, bad animation and is still repeating content most people have already seen but done worse. What exactly makes it anything except bad?

Dragonball has all of those things and you seem to like it. Dragonball Z had all of those things and regardless of your own opinion on it, it was extremely popular. In fact a good percentage of anime had bad pacing, bad animation and is repeating content the viewer is already familiar with. (Being manga or other adaptations.) I'm not big on Dragonball Super but if it is bad, it isn't bad in a way that stands out from the crowd.

I don't mind if you dislike it but the hyperbole over its quality is pretty silly. So far it's been, at worst, kinda dull and had some poorly animated episodes. Which isn't great but is literally something that applies to the entirety of the franchise.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 18, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Asuron posted:

I didn't find Dragonball to have bad animation, sometimes it did but that's the case in most long running shows? Pacing could be shoddy at times, but it at least had the excuse of not trying to get ahead of the source material.

I mean I don't really see why you're so passionately defending Super, because it certainly doesn't have the same excuses Dragonball and Dragonball Z had where both of them were forced by necessity to work on a shoestring budget and pad out running time because they'd run out of source material otherwise. What excuse does Super really have compared to that?

I mean if you say " it'll make money regardless" cool and we all know that's the reason, but it doesn't have to be that way and you know it. That makes it a bad show in my eyes, not just because it has bad animation and pacing, which I can and have excused in other shows, but because it could easily be much better and it doesn't have a real reason as to why it's not better.

I'm not really passionately defending it. I've criticized it multiple times. I just find the level of hyperbole of a pretty bog-standard shonen anime to be pretty silly. You yourself are making up excuses to justify why the show you liked is different, despite the fact that both of your excuses are pretty silly. I don't think I need to explain the budget one and padding out a show to avoid running out of source material is not something they 'have' to do, it's something they do when they want to take advantage of a popular-but-still-running product to make money.

Like based off your argument you seem to blame the Super production team but give the DB/DBZ production team a pass and I don't get why. You say they 'have no excuse' but don't they have pretty much the same excuse as the original series?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 18, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Asuron posted:

"Making up excuses". Gotcha.

How is "they had to keep up with an ongoing manga" an excuse but "they are obligated to adapt a movie into (x) episodes" not?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kild posted:

What moments did you enjoy of GT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voIbRtpPqKo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's gonna be Tien, Yamcha, Chao'tzu, Satan and Mercenary Tao. The rest will be busy with a different adventure so the C-team has to hold down the fort until it's resolved.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

bardock was also mr.satans dad

You've got that in reverse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

Consider the implications of what you just said and feel shameful.

... the implications are exactly the same either way?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm sure that final panel isn't an accurate translation but it is still the most Goku panel ever.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 20, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Are you implying Arale killed everyone on Earth?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Squallege posted:

Guys your missing the genius idea of Champa's guy. Hear me out it's Goku. But he's EVIL! He goes super Saiyan but instead of gold or blue it's red! Because he's evil! Instead of an orange gi with blue other stuff it's grey and red. Because he's evil! Red is so cool just like Shadow the hedgehog

But that guy already exists his name is Vegeta.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Vegeta being the brains of that outfit is honestly a little terrifying

Let's be honest. There is no point where Goku of the brains of any place he is. If he is alone on Kame's island with the turtle, the Turtle is the one calling the thought-shots there.

Part of his upgrade from training with King Kai was having King Kai sit around in his head telling him to stop being stupid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baal posted:

Yeah, I know. I'm not saying the movie doesn't say that, I'm saying the movie is full of poo poo by saying that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTIFoqoYj20

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I admit I just wanted an excuse to post that because it is my favorite joke in DBZ.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It doesn't actually take a lot to hurt people in DBZ. Krillin was able to create a technique which (barring goofy Cell filler) can obliterate dudes many many many times above his level. He could have killed Nappa with it despite Nappa being able to step on his face effortlessly and was even able to wound Frieza. Ain't no reason someone else couldn't figure out a similar thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

why didnt anyone kill frieza or cell then

checkmate

They almost did kill Frieza, Krillin took off his tail.

Cell just regenerated from poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wasn't the last time there was a real legitimate "everyone steps up" tournament literally back in Dragonball classic? And even then Yamcha got jobbed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Esroc posted:

I love the idea that he eventually gets pasted by Buu or any of the post-Cell movie or GT villains and the main timeline group never stops to think about this. Then there's the fact that it would be impossible to create a Super Saiyan God in his timeline, so even if he lucks out and beats Buu it all goes tits up when Beerus pays a visit.

It's pretty likely Buu doesn't get released because Trunks doesn't gently caress around releasing energy, and Beerus has no reason to visit Earth without Goku there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They are going to have Super Saiyan Blue at something like 1/4th of the way through the series. You're kidding if you don't think at LEAST one more Saiyan transformation, plus probably something for Piccolo or someone is coming down the line.

• Locked thread