Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Manatee Cannon posted:

the answer is that they didn't think about it that hard

13 and 0, 14 and -1. Still adds up to 16 universes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Black August posted:

There used to be 18, not 16. I think.

I kind of hope that Goku wishes to bring those back too before force-fusing them all into U7 so he can have the full buffet at hand.

This is all a bold play by Toei to fuse all the universes together and just end up with the setting from the DBZ MMO / Xenoverse, isn't it?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Get John Roberts in there to just do a snooty Linda Belcher, imo. The blooper reel will be worth it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rhonne posted:

Given that Universe 6 already has a Broly, I predict that Frost will get a new form that looks just like Cooler.

This would be amazing. Please do this, Toei :pray:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
pan_giving_freeza_world's_best_(cosmic)_dad_mug.jpg

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

sharktamer posted:

Haha you really really like doing this.

Isn't Beerus kinda a force of nature who is pretty much necessary and is literally employed by the universe?

I don't know what your problem is with italics? That's the point of them. You use them for emphasis.

Anyway, Beerus is totally a complete gently caress-up. Gods of Destruction are supposed to weed out to "bad" planets to increase the universe's average mortal level or whatever. Beerus just blows up the places where he doesn't like the food, and then sleeps for 30 years.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kurtofan posted:

so apparently thers a new dragon ball tv show?

Y... yes? The 97th episode just aired. Freeza's back, and he's a shonen anime rival now.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

khwarezm posted:

Based off of upcoming titles, who wants to guess that 18 is the first universe 7 fighter to be knocked out and that causes Krillin to go ape?

I hope the title of that episode is "Strong! Handsome! Krillin is the Strongest Human!"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm still convinced that, while Gohan's on the initial flipping out upswing of the transformation, it's gonna show a montage of every time Goku ever left :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

sharktamer posted:

Yeah and you can catch pokemon and you can play as sonic and mario and all their friends and if you find a secret egg you can ride a yoshi or a really fast car if you're lucky and you can have gordon freeman and master chief on your team if you know the secret code.

???

The game Manatee Cannon just described is not ludicrously more complicated than some existing Rogue-likes.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Babe Magnet posted:

90s was Max

This checks out with Kamen Rider Ex-Aid, which has a delightfully hideous 90s aesthetic assigned to its superpowers.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Larryb posted:

Yeah, that might be the deciding factor as I'm not sure if they'd be willing to recast someone as iconic as Goku and he's too popular for them to try doing a show without him (as much as it would be nice to have somebody else in the spotlight for a change).

It would be doubly rough because the original probably "successor" has the same voice actor. They'd have to do a time skip and have it be Pan and Bra's Excellent Adventure That's Not GT.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

khwarezm posted:

Personally I think the best course the story could take is Goku getting knocked out by Jiren (or maybe both getting knocked out at the same time) in a way that seems slightly anticlimactic and then Gohan and some of the others have to find a way to win without him while Beerus screams at Goku on the sidelines.

Honestly, Goku and Jiren knocking each other out with a crosspunch is probably the best way to end that clash. It's coincidentally also the way to generate the most salt from the Goku vs. Superman people, because they still don't get closure :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Here's a thing I'm not totally clear on:

Is Beerus life-bonded to Shin, or Old Kai? Does the life-bond pass with the earrings?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Fargin Icehole posted:

When DBZ started getting real popular in the states I was just about to enter middle school. Toonami stopping in the middle of namek and switching it back to the beginning like four times really put me off, and it didn't help that the music, the voice acting just completely up and changed when they finally released the next half.

High School I noticed some kids wearing headbands and talking about leaf village, and doing a bunch of quick ninja hand gestures or some poo poo, thought that was pretty embarrassing.

I recall liking the Naruto manga a lot. I was subscribed to US Shonen Jump up through that tournament arc where they introduced Gaara, and I also got about that far in the anime before I ran out of steam :v:

Most of what I know about Naruto past that is due to wikis and weeaboo osmosis. And Boruto.

But yeah, I don't think it ever got that popular at my high school. Most of my friends were super jazzed about DBZ or Sailor Moon, still.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Brother Entropy posted:

4kids didn't help but i doubt it would've been a huge hit in america either way, a lot of 90s-early 00s anime fandom felt focused on how anime could be so much more serious and badass than american cartoons and there's no real way to spin one piece as something like that

dragon ball kinda got lucky that we got z first and not db classic

One Piece's chief issue in that department is pacing. There's all kinds of bad-rear end fighting and righteous fury, it's just that it doesn't really come to a boil until the end of an arc in almost every case. You know the arc is about to end when Luffy gets the shadows over his eyes and starts talking about justice and comradery, and how the villain has fully and irrevocably offended his sensibilities in both of those categories :v:

This gets a little better sometime around where they get Chopper on the crew. I guess maybe Oda was a bit more into the groove by then, and started weaving sick battles into the character drama parts.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Brianne de Chateau is also cool, and I hope her adorable rotund teletubby form gets to wreck poo poo.

:yeah: I hope they linger on Vegeta's indignity of being exploded by a sparkling, pink, heart-shaped Love Beam.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Covok posted:

Beerus didn't stop poo poo.

Beerus specifically, yeah, because he's in the second-shittiest universe, and that's at least 40% his fault. That clown dude probably smites villains on the regular, because he loves justice and superheroes.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Squallege posted:

Caulifla looking super excited about super saiyan forms in that preview makes me super excited for the next episode

I hope they do a thing where Goku just starts cycling through Super Saiyan forms and she like plays Simon Says with it.
Like,

Goku: *Goes SSJ*
Caulifla: Easy mode *Also goes SSJ*

Goku: *Goes SSJ 2*
Caulifla: Did it yesterday. *SSJ 2*

Goku: *Goes SSJ 3*
Caulifla: LOL HOLY poo poo, UH.... *scrutinizes Goku's Aura for like 5 seconds and then REALLY tightens her abs and goes SSJ 3*

Goku: Wow, okay. *Blue*
Caulifla: Wait, wait- what happens to all of the extra hair when you're done in that last one?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
If we're gonna keep shooting up through the visual light color spectrum in Super Saiyan Divine forms, then Gohan's new Mystic Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan should have purple hair.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

tbp posted:

goku and vegeta and frieza i think are way stronger than gohan. i feel like goku was holding back in all his prelim fights , in order to give confidence to his allies.

I don't think that's strictly true. I don't think Goku is especially capable of holding back, once he gets going. He gets a fight boner and forgets what his original objective was. ESPECIALLY with regards to Gohan. Recall the moment we always loop back to, Goku giving Cell the senzu bean. Dude's not gonna pull his punches for Gohan.

Gohan is a wild card here, because "Mystic Gohan" is still kind of a nebulous concept. His normal form is supposed to be powerful beyond his Super Saiyan form at this stage, at least with regards to Ki manifestation. I think SSJ is more of a weird crutch for Gohan now, that he used while he was undertrained earlier because he had lost touch with the mental discipline required to maintain his Unleashed Potential. He got that back by letting Piccolo kick his rear end for like half a day, because Saiyans, and now he's in line to have another weird transformation that they foreshadowed when he sparred with Goku.

I think we'll see another situation where Gohan does something loving amazing and kicks a lot of rear end, but then Goku still gets the finishing blow and wins the loot roll.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rhjamiz posted:

People keep saying this, like, 'Frieza would totally prefer non-existence to Hell' but that really doesn't seem like a thing Frieza would want? He wants to rule, not die. Even when he's doing the whole 'gently caress you' planet busting trick, it's only because he can survive in space that he does it.

Frieza is a survivor. He doesn't seem the type to commit or welcome suicide over the possibility of future revenge.

Having already touched Deletion Ki and survived, I think Frieza probably honestly believes that he could somehow resist or counter getting erased along with his universe. Maybe he's right, maybe he's not. Frieza and Goku are both in a weird cosmological gray area right now. Goku and Vegeta both literally become gods while they're Blue, and it stands to reason that Frieza undergoes something similar when he becomes Golden, based on the visual effect they use for his hosed-up evil overlord ki and the fact that it explicitly can keep up with or surpass SSJGSSJ. Since they exist outside of Zeno's hierarchical pantheon, it's an opportunity at least for the writers to do a semi-interesting asspull later.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

CharlestonJew posted:

They would most definitely not survive deletion, the GoD for Universe 9 got erased and Goku & Pals are most likely not as strong as he was

I'm not saying it matters how strong they are. It matters if they can asspull a way to survive it, anyway :v:

In fact, to wit, Frieza was only pretending that the deletion ball was hurting him, and he was actually in control the whole time. It was Goku who had a Bad Time in there when Frieza kicked it onto him.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Dragonball Super AU where Freeza attended Yale:

"Please, Mr. Cold is my father. You can just call me 'sir'."

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
There should be a second post after the OP that's just a giant essay about the Great Sin Cast Upon the Earth by Toriyama the Betrayer: Power Levels, and how they were relevant exactly up until they weren't any more.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The Ninth Layer posted:

Power levels clearly do matter though? They inform almost every fight in Z from Raditz to Buu.

:chloe:

They inform the fights up through Frieza. You could argue that they still matter a bit in Cell, except that at that point the power creep is so insane that you're getting into "everybody here is stronger than Goku was when he turned SSJ on Namek, even Tenshinhan, with the possible exception of Yamcha".

They go out the window completely the second 4 year-old Goten and Trunks turn Super Saiyan with minimal effort, even though The Serpent, Toriyama muddies the waters again during the tournament when Babidi's goons are measuring peoples' auras with that meter.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Manatee Cannon posted:

cell was completely unharmed by tien shooting his life at him. it just pushed him into a hole. it was a very deep hole, granted, but that's all that happened

the first post about it specified tien was def stronger and only yamcha might not have been

I'm basing this on how easily Trunks killed Frieza and King Cold, before proceeding to be clowned on by Androids/Cell, compared to how everybody else also got clowned on by the same people.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Anyway,

So, here's what makes me think the Tournament of Power is about to go sideways:
They already did the setup for Goten, Trunks, and Marron vs. the poachers. Think about it- there's no way that can get resolved in like the 5 minutes or less that each episode of the tournament seems to be taking.

edit: Or probably even 48 minutes, since they promised not to make a mess of the place.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The main thing with power levels (the numeric ones) that made them interesting as a narrative mechanic for a little while, is that it's strongly implied that being able to conceal, raise, or otherwise manipulate your overall amount of Ki is relatively rare in the galaxy. Like, Ki is basically psychic force generated from your rock-hard muscles and YELLING, so for most life forms that can shoot energy blasts and fly, it's just the direct result of their superior physique. It's Namekians and humans (who arguably may have learned it from Kami) who can generate additional force from that through mental discipline and mysticism, and later some Saiyans learn that, too.

So, the Power Level as a "thing" in the world is interesting for a little while because none of these super-powered monsters out in space can figure out what the deal is with these loving earthlings (and nameks). Once Vegeta figures out the one weird trick, though, it stops mattering, and it only becomes kind of fun for nerds to note that Vegeta was impressed by "Over 9000" like several weeks ago, and Frieza is like over a million.

But yeah, I agree that "power level" as a nebulous concept remains important in a lot of cases, but the power creep is super real. We poo poo on Tien a lot, but it's still worth noting that Cell has stood perfectly still through attacks that should, by all rights, be way deadlier than a Kikoho.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

a cartoon duck posted:

What I'm saying is the invincible Bota Magetta will win this tournament and save the day.

:yeah:
Invincible Bota Magetta is the new ultimate Dragonball Power Couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

CharlestheHammer posted:

Power levels aren't a thing of the 90s. They are a shonen standard the will stay with the genre until death

They are, but I think it's been a while since we had such granular numbers for it outside of actual RPGs :v:. Usually it's like ranks or classes, nowadays.

• Locked thread