Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pyroi posted:

Universe 6 is the Mirror Universe, that's obviously Mirror Cooler, Mirror Tarble, Mirror Kuriza, and Winnie the Buu.

I'm not really seeing how robot is Robo though.

maybe it's a mirror for the old dbz saga villains

even smaller vegeta, blue frieza, red ribbon robot, post haircut cell, buu except a bear now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so how good is xenoverse really? it's on sale and I'm tempted but I hear there's a lot of grinding

Shindragon posted:

Goku does not win.

I've been rewatching dbz for the first time since I was like 15 over the past few months, and having gotten to the movies now I gotta agree that is is a nice change of pace. also really liked dead zone because it lets piccolo actually be relevant and about even with goku (something I didn't like about tree of might was how piccolo's role is to be oneshot by evil goku like 4 times in a row), then have gohan be the one that ultimately wins the day. in the show, goku only ever beats the end boss by himself with frieza after the spirit bomb fails. hell, I think that's the one time in the series where he is actually the strongest character. gohan killed cell, all of the other big bads were a group effort led by goku, and kid buu is like the one time where the spirit bomb actually works.

tho gohan getting drunk and deflecting a bullet into his pregnant wife was dumb and what they've done with that character since he beefed it against buu the first time has been a constant down spiral

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Xenoverse is very good. The grinding thing is true though, skills and costume parts drop rarely and sometimes are subject to two to three RNG walls to get them, which can get really annoying. Level grinding is basically non-existent though, unless you really want Unlock Potential.

My personal recommendation is that you get the game and play it as you want, and if you really want a skill or costume part, just get a save editor and hack it in. I did that with quite a bit. Also, check the mods for the game, some are really cool.

I'd be getting it on ps4 because it's cheaper/my pc has been acting up lately, so I can't really do any mods. if it's still worth it without being able to just give myself what I want tho, I'll probably end up getting it

thanks

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

y'all were right, xenoverse is cool

but man, that trunks sound clip where he says 'hey' is so amazingly bad. it's like it's being played through a gba or something

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Covok posted:

Also, get Tien's Z-Soul. It will make some of the more bullshit challenge missions doable.

I just got what might have been a random drop from killing some saibamen that says it's tien's z-soul

it says 'fine, I'll go first' and has a 3 on the star

e: wait nah it was from saibamen's revenge. it says so in the rewards thing that I never checked before

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 24, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

oh, I need dlc for it? bummer

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goku kills more people on screen than every bad guy combined in dragon ball

also are 17 and gohan's side missions in xenoverse supposed to be really hard or am I just really bad

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's very much still worth getting even without that. You can probably get most things anyways, just...might take some time if the RNG turns against you. Still, everything connected to masters and the shop can be gotten no matter what, and stuff will drop anyways, so it's not that big of a deal. So long as you never want Super Vegeta.

just so y'know, I just got super vegeta on my second try

I wasn't even going for it; I just wanted to complete a mission so I could level up

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's an incredible amount of luck. Between how terrible that mission is, and the RNG barriers to get to it, I'm surprised. I didn't get it until the post-game, since Super Vegeta 2 is far easier to get anyways (even if it is probably worse due to higher Ki drain when Super Saiyan's main use is infinite Ki).

I hope you're using a Ki Saiyan to get some use out of it.

I am, actually. my primary boosts go towards ki and ki supers, so this is actually really good for me

tho vegeta had the last laugh anyway because I'm trying to get his z soul for his master quest and it just will not drop. I've even got his outfit to drop twice in the same mission, but never the z soul

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sharktamer posted:

Goku spends most of the Buu saga dicking around with Gohan.

remember that time gohan's girlfriend got beat up and goku goes to get senzu beans to help her but gets distracted for like half an hour or something eating korrin out of house and home

gohan was stuck worrying and waiting the whole time

other than that he's cool to gohan, except maybe for the time where he takes a nap while gohan is stuck listening to elder kai do the chicken dance for a day

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked gohan's stuff at the beginning of the buu saga and I wouldn't have minded goku staying dead with gohan taking over for him. goku's cool, but so's gohan and either works for me

him not being the main protagonist isn't so much of a problem (tho it is weird that they went back on that after building up to him finally surpassing his dad nearly from the moment he was introduced as a character) as it is a bummer that all he ever did after killing cell was stall buu until getting chumped. he could still be a side character without being the new yamcha in super. similarly, it's also a shame how piccolo was basically irrelevant from the moment cell absorbed 17 and it's cool that he might get to do stuff again in super

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's funny how he was still being built up as the main character who would defeat buu until the moment buu absorbs gotenks. even goku was like "nah man, I don't want to be the main character anymore. the living should solve their own problems!" sorry buddy, not gonna happen.

yeah it was obvious goku was gonna be the one to kill buu at the end, but still they spent some time building up to how powerful mystic gohan was gonna be. which he was, to be fair. what I didn't like was how his end of usefulness was him just crumpling under the pressure for the first time since, like, nappa. then battle of gods happens and lol

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

on the other hand, one thing I think is really good about goku returning to main character status is that vegeta got to complete his character arc by finally admitting to himself that goku is stronger and that's ok. he probably could have done that anyway since he died while goku was still dead, and I bet there's a dynamic you could form between gohan and vegeta, but it worked out. all of vegeta's stuff in the buu saga is really good. but then, vegeta is really good so go figure

funny how vegeta has the most consistently developing character among the main cast when his rival goku doesn't really change at all in his adult life until like resurrection of f. tho that is at the expense of kill stealing vegeta

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he learned different things in every saga

in frieza he learned to ask for help, tho that was kind of a special case since he was literally about to die. at the very least he was able to open up in a way that he couldn't before
in cell he learned he actually cared about his family when trunks died
in buu he learned that his family is more important than his rivalry, how to show affection for his son, and that it's alright that goku is stronger than him

it's always about pride with vegeta, but he's not learning the same lesson over and over again or unlearning things as the series progresses. not even when he was about to die did he say that goku was better or stronger than him before the very end of the series, and he pretty clearly made a lot of progress with how he treats his family inbetween the beginning of the android saga and super

edit: stronger was the wrong word anyway. what he admits at the end is that goku is just plain better than him

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 27, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

piccolo killed goku that one time

which makes him the most efficient villain in the series when you think about it since goku only died to cell because he stayed to have a chat with king kai instead of teleporting them all away

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

was tien ever a villain? he was kind of a dick in the second tournament, but that lasted like 3 chapters before roshi told him to quit it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yeah he was definitely an rear end in a top hat

Some Numbers posted:

He was training to be an assassin, he broke Yamcha's leg for no reason and was prepared to kill Goku on his master's say so.

yeah but breaking yamcha's leg is the one thing bad he actually does in the manga, and he apologizes for it in the same day it happened. it wasn't even against the rules of the tournament either; it was just a dick move. him saying he wanted a fair fight was his turning point and yamcha forgiving him was about all there was to his redemption, because he didn't do anything else

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm ok with just waiting on super and reading the cliff notes version that is the manga

also I beat xenoverse and, while I liked it, I'm not sure I could call it good. I think there's a much better game in there somewhere and am hopeful for xenoverse 2. they should cut down the random bullshit a little. I don't see why the masters need to randomly appear, for starters

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

english dub frieza is good

xenoverse made me appreciate cell more as well because that dude is just loving this poo poo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

eh, I'd say he's probably the worst dad in dbz by default. what little you see of krillin makes him out to dote on his daughter and spend a lot of time with her, satan seems overbearing but at least he's always around for videl, and then you have vegeta who wins out by never throwing his kid at the monster of the week. like in the buu saga the last thing he does before dying is hug his son and then send him and goten away because he doesn't want them to die, gets mad at goku for saving mr satan instead of their kids, and he tries to get gotenks not to attack berus as well. goku, on the other hand, was watching from the sidelines as gohan and gotenks get thrashed. :v: goku's not trying to be a bad dad tho; he's just dumb as a brick

goku's biggest failing imo was that he never understood gohan at all. gohan's favorite uncle piccolo had to spell it out for him in the cell saga that gohan just doesn't like to fight, which apparently goku never noticed on his own even after spending a year in isolation together. he'd only spent like an hour total with goten throughout the whole buu saga because of the tournament/his time constraints, so I guess you can't really blame him for not understanding his second son but he did make the same mistake of leaving the fate of the world in the hands of literal children again. by his own admission he could have just killed buu when he went ss3

tho maybe gohan wouldn't have turned into such a useless dork were it not for chichi

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

I dunno, Goku didn't beat Buu because he thought the Earth needed to be able to defend itself without him. Of course, the Earth showed that it's full of fuckups, so he had to do it himself anyway, but he didn't know that would happen.

like yeah, I get where he's coming from (gohan should have been the one to kill buu imo but rip) but vegeta's dead and he thinks gohan is as well at that point so he's betting the world on a seven and eight year old

he did this same poo poo with gohan and it literally blew up in his face, and gohan was older than trunks and goten

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zore posted:

I think you may be forgetting the part where Vegeta beats the crap out of his son so he couldn't stop Semi-Perfect Cell from becoming perfect, which is pretty lovely and bad.

he also had a multi-year stint abandoning his family to go training.

really vegeta and goku are incredibly similar when you get right down to it.

yeah I wasn't thinking about future trunks, and yeah vegeta is a bad bad at that point but that is part of his growth as a character. by the end of the cell saga, he legit cares for trunks' well being and by the buu saga he's learned and doesn't repeat his mistake

goku just does the same thing again with goten as he did with gohan, plus he involves trunks because goku's kinda dumb like that

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if mr satan hadn't thrown 16's head over, he wouldn't have

android 16 is a better dad than goku and mr satan is the true hero of this world

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goku should take notes from gohan's favorite dad piccolo and throw goten at a mountain

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

to be fair, gohan is presented as being stonger than goku even before he snaps and goes ss2, like how they show him being confused and thinking goku was holding back because gohan was measuring his dad's strength to his own and assuming he'd be stronger

to be unfair, remember in the buu saga when goku thinks buu killed gohan and he doesn't really do anything about it? kinda funny when you consider his reactions both times krillin has died

Namtab posted:

Anime only doesn't strictly mean non-canon

yea isn't pikon or whatever his name is from an anime filler arc, but he gets to be for real later?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

Vegeta is a good dad who takes his son to theme parks and gives him ice cream

Goku canonically has never taken either of his sons out for ice cream let alone to a theme park

But Goku is not the only one at fault, piccolo never gave Gohan ice cream either

I wonder if goku or piccolo know what a theme park even is

oh well, at least they can drive

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

-Fish- posted:

For that matter, I'm willing to bet ChiChi doesn't know what a theme park is either.

when goten heard about trunks going to a theme park, he asked his mom to take him as well

they ended up in a library

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the anime will begin a filler arc starring gohan, the one character not watching the tournament

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

useless?

tho I guess he does get chumped every time he fights nowadays, so this is probably for the best

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm fine with gohan not fighting since that is what he always wanted, but it's a bummer that he sucks so hard every time he tries. even when he shouldn't, like with how his fight with super buu ended

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

how old are they supposed to be in super? I have no idea how much time has passed inbetween kid buu dying and beerus showing up

Momomo posted:

Yeah, in fact, they seem to have aged backwards. No eight year old would wear what Trunks did in Battle of Gods.

his dad wears a spandex onesie at all times and his mom thought the great saiyaman costume was the height of fashion

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

guess they really did go back to the dragon ball style of aging for kids

I think goku and krillin were about that age in the first tournament and like 15 or so in the second

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gohan and videl have been really busy in that case

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Baal posted:

Lol Gohan and Videl are married and she is pregnant at 16, loving awesome

gohan also seems to have graduated college and become a scholar, which is impressive. good job, gohan, I'm glad for you

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you say that like dying means anything in dragon ball

they've both died at least twice each now

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goku taught me that if I believe in myself, I too can become blonde and shoot lasers out of my hands

he's an inspiration to us all

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

uub will get a lot of use out of kaioken probably

did piccolo ever use it? you'd think he'd have learned it when he was dead. the others too, but they don't really get to fight for real anymore after the saiyan saga

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yeah it's weird, and it's not like it's goku's signature move or anything. he doesn't even use it after he goes super saiyan either

hell, everyone and their mother knows the kamehameha and the kaioken would help the non saiyans compete

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mine is that toriyama forgot, much like how he forgot vegeta and gohan's tails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the doctor that heals vegeta after he gets beat up on earth asks him about his tail

vegeta says it'll grow back

• Locked thread