Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don't understand who is joking, sure as poo poo ain't me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This seems like them finally giving people that Frieza v Vegeta that everyone wants for some dumb reason.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

17 and 18 are considered their own arcs to so that doesn't work.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What that lovely webcomic does isn't really anything like what super is doing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

facebook jihad posted:

I personally would like it if TFS starts making 'Goku is a good dad' jokes from here on out to swerve fans and move away from the 'Goku is a bad dad' joke that has been done to death.

The episode was really good and a return to form for a series that has been slumping in the most recent episodes.

To be fair there is only one bad daddin moment left then Goku barely interacts with Gohan for the rest of the series.

It will be good seeing that moment as it probably be a serious moment instead of treating it as a joke.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

sharktamer posted:

Goku spends most of the Buu saga dicking around with Gohan.

In a training montage, he mostly interacts with the Kai's

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

sharktamer posted:

ok you win I'm sorry Goku has caused you so much pain

I wasn't insulting Goku, that is just how the Saga works out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

No one in this thread hates Goku.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah the part of the show post Cell were Gohan was the main character were really good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

Everybody in this thread loves Goku, but it doesn't change the fact that he is a bad dad. That won't ever change, because he's pretty objectively bad at it.

But it's alright, because children are bad.

It's also nice that Goku has a flaw, and it even is brought up in the Cell Saga giving him something like an arc! Granted it doesn't stick but still!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

gently caress no, Saiyaman rules.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Super hasn't even completed one arc if you take out the movies, so it's a little early to judge which is has higher highs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well you can count it but People love Battle so that helps Super more than hurts it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh that won't be hard, the original did not have many highs. It was usually serviceable and that is were it stayed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

People are actively saying its worse tho

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That was not the claim ya made. Just admit you were wrong and move on

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Darko posted:

The claim is that any person who has done animation on any kind of professional level can do sections better on their own in a reasonable amount of time. No one that doesn't live in a basement with no job and unlimited time on their hands has time to do that for no profit, no. That is also obvious to anyone. Which is why I leveraged it as a monetary bet.

Scared to take the bet then? :)

edit: The whole point of this is that people are defending the animation as not being that bad/being better than before. This is not true - it is absolutely terrible on any level, to the point where relative amateurs or singular animators, given enough relative time, can legitimately do better on the character animations. And especially the keyframes. Saying "I can do better" is not a bold statement; it's an obvious one from anyone who has animated to any degree, because this level of animation is so terrible on so many levels. I'm particularly mediocre, but this level of animation (24) is so far beyond mediocre that I don't even understand how it was done.

That was not the claim you made no.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

god this thread is retarded

Yeah but eventually they will understand that Goku is a bad dad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

People really, really want Goku to be flawless. They will fight The author himself for this.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kild posted:

Because Toriyama is a bad writer? He wanted tension and threw away the previous characterization to achieve it? Same reason Gohan can't even catch an earring.

Who is saying he's flawless? Goku can beat up your Dad so he's the better Dad anyway.

Everyone who is trying to pretend his one major flaw isn't a thing. I guess you could say pride as well but that is Vegetas thing and he does it better.

Actual bad daddin was a major theme of the android Cell saga now that I think of it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gohan fighting would be the worst, I like his character right where it is.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

He is the one dude on a fighting show that doesn't give a gently caress about fighting. It owns.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

When he was getting wrecked yeah. It happened against Buu as well.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Which is weird, as it would have made Piccolo's jump when fighting Frieza make a lot more sense.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

mine is that toriyama forgot, much like how he forgot vegeta and gohan's tails

Goku used the Ken against Frieza tho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Namtab posted:

By your logic, the special beam cannon also has no kills, because goku didn't stay dead.

Once again everyone forgets about Raditz.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The King wrestled him so yeah.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The bomb has nothing to do with him coming back so that makes no sense.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Namtab posted:

I forgot raditz

Understandable

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, TFS did a really good job with Cell's transformations. They all took a lot longer in the original version.

As did Freeza's.

Everyone has a loving debate on how to deal with Frieza while he is transforming.

This also leads to murdering Dende.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Either way the franchise would be much poorer without SS3

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

There really isn't enough difference between Dragonball and Z to call one better.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be honest everyone talks about tactics but rewatching it the only time tactics matters are joke fights.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Those are also some of the best fights

But there aren't that many tho

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What's hilarious about that is it only makes sense if you count Z and the original as separate things. Instead of it becoming fanfiction randomly half way in the story.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

MY ABACUS! posted:

Are there any good Toriyama interviews out there? I'd be interested to hear an explanation on some things like Gohan laying a huge turd.

I doubt the answer is that interesting, a powerful force failing and forcing the other cast members to step up is basically just the Vegeta fight stretched out a bit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

Goku punches Recoome because he saw an opening and that is the end of Dragon Ball Z

Seeing that as a kid pre Internet was something. Because you had no idea it restarted until the end of the Raditz arc, at least if you missed the first part. Which I did and boy was I confused.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

They aren't going to lose, this universe swapping is the stakes, nothing more.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I like that Baby went great ape but couldn't control it and went berserk! Until it is revealed that he is in control and is destroying poo poo just because. Despite his entire motivation was the rebuilding his home planet which he was now destroying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

But which villian is super 17????????

• Locked thread