Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Really, the little commercials for Heroes have great setups to be Parallel Quest scenarios.

I mean

come on, these things write themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

I need to rewatch Android 13 again. The last time I saw it, it was on tape. Basically the only thing I remember is Goku getting punched in the dick and that cool arctic stage from the games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8soInnWds4

I'll always remember the movie for this scene.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Also a thing about the Bojack movie: as much as it stealstouches on some notes from Cell, the villains are actually more or less parallels to the Saiyans. Powerful, ruthless space pirates/conquerors with a good degree of battle lust, hell, some even get to show off their own "Super Saiyan" equivalent. They're basically every other "evil Saiyan survivors come to Earth again!" fanfic with the names filed off.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Darko posted:

It's a lot like pre-Z Dragon Ball, where only (kid) Goku did anything important. In Z, they let other people outshine him or progress past him consistently, with his main character standing being more about "we'll wait for Goku to show up to save the day" thing, even though he didn't do so, most of the time.

In GT, it just followed Goku constantly and had him do almost every single thing, and was irritating for it because we had already moved past that point.

At least Toriyama's post Z material makes fun of Goku for hogging the spotlight, literally. Yo! Goku had him fighting with Vegeta over getting to do important last thing and tricking him into getting ahead of him. BoG had Vegeta complaining about Goku getting to be the first SSG, and Revival F had Vegeta complaining about Goku "stealing" the last attack on Freeza. When it's a big joke, I don't mind it as much as I do when played seriously.

A thing about pre-Z Dragon Ball is that the anime actually manages to work in a more ensemble sort of role to the rest of the cast. Sure a majority of it is focused on Goku ending up saving the day, but other characters get their chance to shine and plot elements are, I'd arguably say, improved. The manga is very much "the Goku show" for a majority of the pre-Raditz arcs, but the anime manages to make it... well, less so.

Some examples: Where Eighter, Suno, and most of Jingle Village vanish in relevance after the Muscle Tower incident, they actually have some more character interaction past it in the anime, in the King Piccolo arc of all places. After King Piccolo does his whole storming of the King of Earth's castle, Suno actually tries to stop him, by picking up a rifle and trying to shoot him in the goddamn head. She doesn't do it, one of the King's soldiers draws Piccolo's attention away from her, but credit where credit is due. After that Eighter heads down and makes an attempt to try and stop King Piccolo himself, or at least tries to help the people down there in need of it. Hell, even Tien has a better showing in the King Piccolo arc of the anime; in the manga he accidentally broke the jar he was going to try to hold King Piccolo in with the Mafuba, in the anime he actually almost succeeds instead of the whole thing being rendered pointless. After this, the other characters actually get some decent time in the limelight for Krillin, Tien, and hell, Yamcha gets to save the day. Adding to this, the Dragon Ball anime ends with Goku and Chi-chi going on an adventure together, actually giving them some time to try to work as a couple.

So overall it's not like they couldn't have tried to make other characters relevant in GT, given what happened in the actual Dragon Ball adaptation, they simply didn't. They even teased at having the other characters doing something relevant, like Uub and Buu's fusion, or the shameful lies of promising this:

and never following through.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Amorphous Blob posted:

How could I have forgotten Buu, the living gimmick?

In my defense that's the saga I know the least.

E; cell is my favorite gimmick until he turns into strongest man

You know what would have made Cell even more dangerous? At least in his sneaky first form.

Puar's gimmick. Shapeshift into anyone, anything for an unlimited amount of time.

Cell could be a rock. Cell could be a Goku. Cell could be a Goku rock. Cell could be a Super Goku rock Super Goku. And you'd never know. :tinfoil:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Amorphous Blob posted:

Missed opportunity to never have that school show up in any media ever.

Not quite! Actually showed up in one of the games.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Southern_Transformation_Kindergarten

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Silver95280 posted:

I think its a "retelling" of how Satan beat Beerus. Kinda like the Cell one back in Z.

Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0KxyOk4j00

Maybe it's just me, but Batbeerus kinda has a Devilman vibe to him.

And if "Super Satan" in this "retelling" is supposed to stand for the Super Saiyan God... that means Mark "Hercule" Satan has become both God and Devil.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Nessus posted:

I'd say https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFSen7DRQWU is more appropriate.

e: And listening to the two of them near each other, they're surprisingly similar!

Yes, God Hand makes a direct homage to Mazinger Z through that. Hence the song sounding similar.

Meanwhile, in Dragon Ball Heroes news...

Yep. It's Gohan. Super Saiyan 4.

Super 17 (18 absorbed). :wtc:

Towa (she... has a new dress?).

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 11, 2015

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, and apparently Krillin and Tien start their own martial arts schools (the New Turtle School and New Crane School respectively, I think) and Trunks/Goten start some school based around using swords.

(I spent a while reading random articles on the DB wiki last night.)

In addition to that, Pan is actually the one who spearheads this change over to lots of people learning Martial Arts in Dragon Ball Online.

Wiki posted:

Age 794

Mr. Satan's granddaughter Pan becomes a martial arts instructor: with customer claims that Mr. Satan's Telecommunicated Satan-style Martial Arts Course is worthless rapidly spreading, disgruntled costumers flood Satan House, prompting Pan to subdue them. The event becomes a big scandal and the Telecommunicated Satan-style Martial Arts Course is then rebranded as the Pan Fighting Network, with Pan as the instructor.
Afterwards, Pan asks Bulma to help her develop a system for people to battle each other across long distances so that she could create a Telecommunicated Martial Arts Dojo. From this point on, the sports-like fighting course became very popular, especially among young people.

Age 796

Mr. Satan's film "Satan Legend" is released. Those influenced by the film began studying how to control their ki from Pan, forming the origin of the present Martial Artist class.

What's more,

Wiki posted:

Age 820

With the Earth in crisis, the heroes of the past gather at Master Roshi's place in order to eradicate the remnants of Frieza's soldiers.

The ones who ultimately defeat the Frieza's soldiers are Krillin, Tien Shinhan, and their comrades—the heroes of the past. In order to hide their identities, the warriors put on Saiyaman-like costumes, but their ki-based fighting style still becomes a hot topic and global interest in "ki" escalates.

Incidentally, at this time Tien Shinhan is 87 years old, Krillin is 84, Gohan is 63, Trunks is 54, Goten is 53, and Pan is 41.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I love Budokai 3 but it has some definite weirdness. It has probably the most bizarre implementation of achieving Super Saiyan 4 ever.

"One day Goku was flying along AND SUDDENLY SUPER SAIYAN 4".

Turns out there was actually a far more involved storyline for that in the voice files! It involved Vegeta wishing back Goku's tail, then wishing the Earth over to them to simulate a full moon, in order to defeat Kid Buu.

All characters were actually planned to have their own storymodes, actually. Kid Goku's was the most complete/bizarre, if memory serves right. It involved time machines and Broly.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Some leaked things from the Dragon Ball Super manga, potentially, if translations are correct...

http://www.shonengamez.com/2015/10/17/dbs-chapter-5-spoilers-ssgss-name-change-female-whis-name-revealed-beerus-relation-to-champa/ posted:

Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is renamed to "Super Saiyan Blue." Goku bit his tongue trying to say SSGSS over and over, prompting Whis to change the name.

Girl-Whis is named "Vados," and it seems Champa is actually weaker than Beerus, his twin brother. Furthermore, Vados is stronger than Whis by a little bit.

Multiverse Tournament! Winner keeps U7 Earth, because U6 Earth was ruined. 5 fighters from each universe will be in.

Whis: “As mentioned Champa-sama is from the 6th universe and the 6th and 7th universes are somewhat like Twins.”

“Or you could treat it as the front and back. For example, the 1st and 12th Universes or the 2nd and 11th Universes. Basically the related universes number will always add up to 13, that’s another way you can tell which universes are twin universes.”

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

SirDrone posted:

Reading DBM made me realize I think Akira forgot Vegeta has a second kid that was meant to be born by the time of super or something.

Thing is Bra is supposed to be the younger of the two (by about a year), GT was hella inconsistent about it and DBM's working on the assumption that she's older than Pan. Among other things.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Nah, he's gonna become Jaco's new partner when he hears about the pension plan that the Galactic Patrol offers.

I could totally get behind Buddy Cop Adventures with Yamcha and Jaco. :allears:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The final Super Saiyan form better just be his hair shifting through all the colours of the rainbow constantly.

something something freeza shouting "I hate that saiyajin!"

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

A lot of jokes for the new TFS one had me in stitches. The nutshot one was the best, it had actual buildup and payoff.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

- Yamcha has more votes than Freeza.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Aurora posted:

So the 5 fighters Beerus sends to face Champa is the Ginyu Force right?

The Super Ginyu Force, obviously.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

It'll be Arale or Neko Majin Z.

Obviously. Look it has to be SOME kind of super-powerful cat person.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Squall posted:

Less of a false equivalence and more of a "what the gently caress did you actually expect."

Dragon Ball has never moved particularly fast through poo poo, what the gently caress made you expect them to move fast in Super?

Even Super's been moving at the very least at a non-glacial pace compared to the original series. I mean hell, even in Kai just the battle against Freeza lasted a grand total of like 20 episodes. The original version lasted over 30 episodes. We're what, 15 episodes in with Super and they're already at the next arc? However small some may think it to be, it's a clear improvement. Yeah some episodes lasted longer than they needed to be but it's quite clear that the situation is not the worst it's gone through.

Adding to that we now have Jaco in the show.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Farecoal posted:

devilman should have been the 5th beerus member

But then Hyper Gato would beat him easily. He has no evil in his cold heart of steel.

Only the power of song and dance.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Meanwhile, in Dragon Ball Heroes...

Chronoa, the young Supreme Kai of Time, and Demigra are added to the mix.

Baby Hatchiyak.

And last but not least...

Super Saiyan Gods.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Meanwhile, in things that haven't been debated a few dozen times by the thread already:

It somehow looks dorkier than regular GT Trunks AND Baby Vegeta. Bravo, Heroes.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

was pan useful in gt? I watched like three episodes, tops

Kiiiinda? She has a better track record than most other characters in GT. Which is pretty sad all things considered.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I mean Cell WAS in Xenoverse. On the heroes' side. And he was the best mentor. So Time Patrol Cell... technically it already happened?

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

the culminator posted:

Tbh I like the fact that ssj4 brought it back to saiyan roots. I wish the saiyans still had tails. For me 4 > 3 aesthetically (though neither of them are even close to the GOAT form, SSJ2)

Don't know bout the leather pants and eyeliner tho.

3 was originally going to have a tail in one of the concepts for it.

Also a reminder, Super Saiyan 2 was originally called Super Saiyan (Grade) 5, following the naming scheme of the previous "bulked up (2)," "roid rage (3)," and "effortlessly maintaining (4)" variants on Super Saiyan.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Burkion posted:

That is non canon unless I miss my mark.

They just did it so they could justify SSJ Bardock

Basically, yes. It's about as "canon" as any of the other advertisements for Dragon Ball Heroes, which it was. First as a manga tie-in and then as the OVA.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Full scan of the "Project Fusion" pages:

Closeup of what may be some of the fusions:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

pik_d posted:

Are those Trungeta and Kakahan?

Given the outfit and belt design, the first one might actually be Hercgeta (or Mr. Vegatan).

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Yes.

It was foretold.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

mikeycp posted:

How much earlier is Super than when Buu made Miss Buu?

Buuby is after the end of Dragon Ball, where Uub is trained by Goku (GT puts them on the Lookout, Neko Majin puts them at Goku's home, so it's clear which one Toriyama intended).

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Silver95280 posted:

Those basically sum up my opinion on GT.

Also, Super 17 wasn't as bad as the rest of GT. Kinda like being punched in the stomach instead of being kneed in the balls.

Man what, Super 17 was the worst part of GT. Even in so bad it's good terms it manages to just wrap right around back to awful fanfic that even most movies couldn't sink to. I'd almost say it's worse than Bio-Broly.

As far as what Toriyama intended, Uub was supposed to be living with Goku, not taken up to the Lookout and nobody ever going over to see them.

Goten decided the best way to get people to stop mistaking him for Goku is to have a mop for hair, Pan is taking after her dad with the bowl cut, and hey, Uub in the orange and blue (and he has like no muscle mass at all).

Also the cat man, Neko Majin Z, is there because there is a mouse that's been stealing from the Son family pantry, and Goku wants him to catch it.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

readingatwork posted:

GT Time! Episode 7: Trunks the Bride

(I'm going to start adding episode summaries so that people unfamiliar with the show will have some idea of what's going on. Not that you really NEED to know all that much...)

The story so far: Trunks, Pan and kid-Goku must get the dragonballs or the earth will explode.... In space! Also there's a robot.

In this episode: The show rips off the Oolong episode from Dragonball classic. The only real difference is that the monster is actually a monster and Trunks is the one that dresses like a girl. So... the Oolong episode minus anything that actually made it fun or interesting.

• *looks at title* Well this is going nowhere good...
  • THE CROSSDRESSING PLAN IS ENTIRELY POINTLESS! JUST PUNCH A HOLE IN THIS GUY'S FACE AND MOVE ON!

I am 90% sure that the DUB of all things actually points this out, and its attempt to be the Oolong episode from Dragon Ball, with Goku going "Guys this plan won't work, I tried it once before."

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Yeah, thought so.

Meanwhile, Dragon Ball Heroes does it yet again:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Rirse posted:

This is a dumb request, but anyone got that picture showing Goku getting a spirit ball from a Limp Bizkit concert?

There you go.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Namtab posted:

The urge to scientifically quantify powerlevels

Acceptable only if you measure them in their proper metric values of Raditz.

Vegeta is 15 Raditz.

Ginyu is 100 Raditz.

Freezie-pop is 100,000 Raditz, or 100 KiloRaditz.

Farmer w/ Shotgun is 4.17 MiliRaditz.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

If he doesn't use the English Gohan SSJ2 theme I riot

Okay the dub track is good and all but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px8aiW3GEME

come on.

Anyway good ep, Final Flash scene was great, Krillin calling Trunks out good too.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Monaghan posted:

so far the 6th universe seems like a much friendlier place than the the 7th universe.

mikeycp posted:

I'm starting to think that 6th a generally peaceful place and when Earth inevitably gets moved there all hell is going to break lose, because Goku has that effect.

Calling it: Universe 7 is actually the "Evil Twin" Universe. Goku is the true (unintentional) source of its evils. :tinfoil:

Goddamn, Xenomorph form getting an actual chunk of a fight in? That's amazing.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Why was a literal baby Gamera in Dragon Ball?

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Well, with the new chapter comes some more Heroes content as well...

Hero Avatars with the new God powerups,

The story mission, going back in time before Demigra wrecked poo poo (featuring the return of the glorious Pirate Robot).

And confirmation that Goku and Vegeta can go blonde still, with cards for Champa's team (curiously lacking Cabba).

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

And to top off the what-if insanity Heroes started, "Project Fusion" gets another tease...

• Locked thread