Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

Acne Rain posted:

Why does davros have a guy made of snakes
I'm not defending anything in this episode, but it does make sense that Davros would have some non Dalek lifeforms to do his work for him. Especially since his children aren't very loyal, or personable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Was not expecting this for at least another five years. This is great news, and I'm not even a big Tennant fan.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Kikka posted:

one thing that's bothering me in-universe: there's a mix of different kinds of daleks around, and previously this has happened because they've been almost gone and needed to integrate different kinds of daleks. however usually they reject and seek to exterminate daleks of different make (ex. renegades vs imperials), and they seem to be doing quite well at the moment, with skaro back and all. why are they mixing different kinds of daleks again?

why didn't they use actual land mines for the young davros sequence as a callback to the story where we actually see him for the first time?

It kind of bothered me too but I think it's for the fans. There's no good in universe explanation for it. As for the hand mines I think that was because it's a creepy set piece, but I would have preferred real mines as well.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

I watched the first few episodes of Genesis today and Harry had a line about how they'll be using bows and arrows soon, so I think it's a reference to the classic episode. And it's an obvious way to show the watcher the technological disparity. A bit hamfisted though.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

For a trainwreck the 2-parter had some good moments. That prophecy poo poo was unbelievably stupid though, as is the idea of a Time Lord - Dalek hybrid. I suppose the actor playing Davros did the best job he could with the material given.

Rhyno posted:

Aside from Gomez and the chair joke I didn't much enjoy that one.
The chair joke was pretty good.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 28, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

But I would hasten to add that literally nothing Moffat has ever written is as dramatic a "retcon" as that would be.
I respectfully disagree, just thinking about it for a few minutes moff has

1. Inserted his character (Clara) into the history of every single episode. Yes I know it's debated whether or not Clara was there "during" the classic run or "after" (from our perspective) but going forward Clara was there, somehow fighting The Great Intelligence off screen.
2. Made Clara (by which I mean himself) responsible for picking "that" TARDIS.
3. Inserted an entirely new incarnation between 8 and 9.
4. Changed the entire ending of The Time War (and in a looney tunes way that took away from the grand scale previously insinuated).

And that's not counting the terrible prophecy nonsense, because we've yet to see if that's actually a thing. He's not a total Hack, and if I produced the show I would have him write a 2-parter every season. But he has too much say over his scripts and ideas, and it doesn't feel like anyone is around to tell him his bad ideas are becoming season spanning metaplots. It is almost as if the duties of lead script writer and producer should be separated.

Kikka posted:

Moffat's episode focus has become events around which the characters can do drama with eachother. Anyone else feel like this?
Yes, it feels like he is writing for the set piece instead of writing situations and characters which would naturally lead to the set pieces. He's letting the tail wag the dog.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

docbeard posted:

An increased focus on characterization at the expense of plotting is WAY WAY BETTER than the other way around, so good for Moffat.

I mean, sure, ideally you'd have both, but if you've got to choose...

But you go too far in that direction and everything seems tailor made for the scene. It takes away from the heft of the world and makes it feel hollow. It even undermines the characterization itself, or at least it does for me. I like to think the characters are a result of the environment, and not that the environment is a result of the characters. There's a middle ground there that Moffat use to write in.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Celebrate with me by watching a Robert Holmes classic story, The Space Pirates!
The Space Pirates, in my opinion, is not a bad episode at all. Not a classic, but not terrible.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

It's nice to have some proper Doctor Who on. Whatever else I say about Moffat, bless him for pushing 2-parters this season.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

I was not a big fan of the sonic glasses when the premiered but they used them well last episode.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

CobiWann posted:

Question – as a Doctor Who fan, should I give Rick and Morty a go?
I enjoy it a lot. I think it takes some inspiration from Doctor Who.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

echoplex posted:

You're looking at it. It's the added roundels which were there from the start of the series.

I think this set is great, I'm glad it is staying around for a little while.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Tomb, Fury From The Deep, The War Games, The Pyramids of Mars, The Seeds of Doom, The Image of the Fendahl, Enlightenment and The Curse of Fenric (off the top of my head) are all stories that I'd say have elements that would sit fairly happily within Lovecraft's writings other than the Doctor turning up and sorting things out.

Curse especially, Fenric's an elder god without the name.

I liked Masie Williams and there were some nice parts. If I say anything else I'll start being very critical so I'll stop there.

IceAgeComing posted:

Question: what's the best way of watching Marco Polo: finding a recon somewhere or just listening to the audio soundtrack?
Jerusalem already answered this but I wanna stress that the colorized recon is great. It's a rare example of the recons adding something and I think it holds up as a classic.

twistedmentat posted:

It came from watching the one with the cybermats and Craig, and I'd forgotten how good it was. Actually for some reason I don't remember much about that season, but I forgot how fantastic that episode in particular was. Also, the baby talk was done a lot better.
I think baby talk is dumb but that scene between craigs kid and The Doctor is wonderful. One of the best parts of that season.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 29, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

CobiWann posted:

Halloween night. Scariest Doctor Who episode?
Chimes of Midnight or Spare Parts with a special nod towards The Macra Terror

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

The Three Doctors is the best multi doctor serial the show has ever put out in my opinion.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Cerv posted:

Faint praise
You're right, it really is.

Rhyno posted:

The Two Doctors heard you and Colin is PISSED.
Troughton is my favorite but I can never get through The Two Doctors. I can't put my finger on why. I like how it gave season 6b some cred with an older 2 and Jamie, but that's about it.
That's great.

cargohills posted:

Everybody I know personally thought this episode was alright. :shrug:
I didn't like it that much but I would still put it above the season opener. At least this has little to do with that hybrid nonsense.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 5, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Roach Warehouse posted:

Audio Drama post
Colditz is great, I think it's number 25 so it should be included in that sale.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

The difference between Moffat and RTD is when Davies poo poo the bed he only ruined an episode or two.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Especially that story, it's really good! Not quite as good as The Seeds of Death, but then very little is :allears:
Personally (and despite my Troughton bias) I enjoy Seeds of Doom more. I don't like the Ice Warriors, they're mouth breathing slow rear end creeps with lego hands.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 24, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

On no goddamn planet is 3+4 better than 1+2, because after the 5-minute mark 4 is terrible and makes 3 worse in retrospect. 1 and 2 may not be a perfect execution of the two-parter mandate but they're certainly the more enjoyable 90 minutes.
In my opinion 4 is not terrible, but I agree with you it does put a damper on 3. 1+2 introduced this hybrid nonsense so that makes it the clear looser for me, even if some of those Davros scenes are great. To each their own I suppose.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Good write up CobiWann, I agree I liked everything except the hybrid stuff, and changing what Troughton said. But that's typical Moffat. Good and bad, except for season 5.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

I watched Enlightenment and enjoyed it. It had some great lines and ideas. It flubs the execution sometimes, but not enough to ruin anything. Eternals are a cool idea for a villain.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

FreezingInferno posted:

I mean, people here in the thread have not liked Hell Bent, but I think we can all agree that it wasn't Twin Dilemma bad; the Doctor didn't strangle Clara when he found her again, and it seems as if this episode will not have killed the show stone dead.
I prefer Twin Dilemma, because it does not piss all over the history of the show. I find that particularly annoying, especially if it's done with Moffats usual grace. Twin Dilema sucks, but you can ignore it.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

cargohills posted:

The great thing about Hell Bent is that it doesn't do that either.
It's the culmination of the lousy hybrid metaplot, which moffat has used to retcon why The Doctor left Gallifrey, and why he's mad in the first place (eugh).
It brought back Rassilon (with a great actor) and then flubs it hard.
It brought back the "half human on my mothers side" rubbish (yes I know it did not explicitly state that was the case but it did not deny it either).

To each their own, but I think I'm done with Moffat produced Who. It does not feel like the real thing to me, and having a lesser version of Who recontextualize the entire history of the kickass show I love sucks.

I want to watch some Hartnell but I'm caught between The Romans and The Space Museum. Could someone please recommend one of the two?

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They never said his fear when he left was due to the hybrid. It's just an extension of 'the Doctor runs away' theme they've been doing for ages
They heavily inferred it three times, once by Davros, the other time in the confession dial and a third time in the cloister room. While you're right, he never said "I left Gallifrey because I was scared of the Hybrid" I don't know what else it could be.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Romans is good fun
"You didn't tell us you were going away"
"Oh? Well I don't think I'm under any obligation to report my movements to you Chesterfield." :roflolmao:

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

I watched The Romans and found it very enjoyable. Lots of nice little character moments. I miss pure historicals, they feel much more grounded than "something's fishy...aliens".

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 11, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

saucerman posted:

Are you saying that you don't like it if Doctor Who is about the Doctor?
I honestly don't. It's leads to fan-fic level dialogue and a demystifying of the character. I get the value of an epic character challenge like the last five seasons have revolved around, however there are a lot of people out there and focusing on one person in the whole of time and space is a wasted opportunity.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Frazer Hines and Wendy Padbury forever.
drat straight, best companions by a mile.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

CommonShore posted:

What second doctor reconstructions are worth watching?
The Macra Terror is great, very creepy episode. The Highlanders and The Abominable Snowman are excellent episodes as well.

It really is a shame they're missing, in my opinion it was the greatest period the show has ever seen. But I suppose we're lucky to have what we do. Check out Enemy of the World, it's really something.

cargohills posted:

As a contrast to Burkion, I absolutely despise animated reconstructions. I think you're better off just watching the still image ones.
I'm with you, I appreciate the effort but prefer the telesnaps to animation.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

From Forktoss:

These are really funny!

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

doublepost, sorry

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 21, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

CommonShore posted:

So this was my first Series (Season) in this thread. What happens here while we wait for 10? Lots of Big Finish discussion?

We talk about the classic series and audios , which is just how I'd have it. I wish there were a classic thread year round but that idea always gets shot down.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Payndz posted:

Still, at least Clara's gone, even if she was written out in the most transparent "we can bring this beloved character back for a guest spot at any time!" way. They gave her a loving TARDIS, seriously? gently caress Clara.
Clara and Ashilder, as immortal as they are, have no idea how to operate a TARDIS. The show, modern and classic, has made a point of explaining how terrifying and dangerous it is to time travel even with an excellent pilot. They better hope the Time Lords catch up with them.

Burkion posted:

I don't know why every Companion needs to have the door slammed shut on them.
I think it's because Moffat believes more drama is automatically more entertaining to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

That is pretty badass.

• Locked thread