Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rat Flavoured Rats posted:

There's a new 6 minute prequel, 'The Doctor's Meditation', up on the Facebook page. No sign of it on the iPlayer yet.

I don't suppose you could link it, because I don't see it anywhere on the Facebook page.

edit: And Google just gives me a bunch of places it was leaked but taken down from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Barry Foster posted:

It's on the facebook page as of forty-five minutes ago. Not sure why you can't see it.

You're not missing much. It's singularly uninteresting.

Again, could you link it or something? I see it nowhere on the Facebook page, even under videos the latest videos are a trailer, an interview with Moffat, and something about Lego.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rat Flavoured Rats posted:

Here you go, if you can't see it from this link maybe it's country-locked or something?

Content not found. So yeah, I guess it's country blocked.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

drat, I really didn't like that episode. Maybe part 2 will fix it, but drat, that was one hell of a mess. Someone said earlier it felt more like a RTD episode, and they were totally right.

- The planes have frozen! How will we-oh, Missy unfroze them. Alright.
- Snake guy was pretty terrible. The "reveal" was decent, but just watching him every time he talked was awful.
- So the Doctor is looking for a book shop, ends up on Skaro, comes across young Davros and leaves him for dead, which Davros now remembers because now it's happened, and I assume he got out of there some other way. Now the Doctor, after witnessing the "death" of Clara and Missy, goes back again (never mind he doesn't have access to the Tardis at the moment to actually do that), and plans on killing young Davros while yelling exterminate? What? (This is one fact I am willing to forgive if it's explained next week, but at the moment this makes no drat sense.) But we're clearly lead to believe the Doctor is about to murder that scared kid, which...just no. (Again, though, I'm ready for this to be fixed next week. Maybe he's actually exterminating the hand mines, and is going to save his friends by being kind to kid Davros or something.)
- I don't believe for one second Clara and Missy are dead, so that fell really flat to me.
- I remember thinking when I saw the preview that I can't wait to see how they work the guitar in. Turns out they just threw it in there. Alright, I guess. I did laugh my rear end off at the tank, though.
- Clara going from super pissed at Missy for killing those agents to totally cool working with her was off putting. Like, the two of them at the top of the castle smiling felt weird, coming right after the deaths.

Just a really weird episode, and not in a good way.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CobiWann posted:

- For the record, the song Twelve was playing on the tank was “Eruption” by Van Halen

No it wasn't.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Well poo poo, now I have to figure out how to make time to listen to audio dramas, too?

Sorry podcasts, no time, you're out.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

computer parts posted:

This is confirmed both on and off screen. You just don't see them shoot at anyone but the hero so they're always inept.

Except Hoth, but that doesn't count because :iiam:

They also shoot at all those Rebels at the beginning of A New Hope. And they wreck the Rebel's poo poo.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

misadventurous posted:

Well that was pretty poo poo!!

I thought that the Moffat two-parter was messy as hell, but it had some fun bits and at least was trying to do something different.
Under the Lake, on the other hand, was basically the most trad, straight-down-the-line Who episode, to the point where it felt like a classic series episode done in the style of the new. And that was actually refreshing, in its own way-- just seeing how old Who would work with new Who trappings.

Before the Flood though... gently caress, it was a subpar Big Finish audio adapted to TV. Absolutely charmless and generic Who. "The Fisher King" was a massive waste of both Peter Serafinowicz and a potent mythological title, O'Donnell was a fun and personable character who blatantly got stuffed in the refrigerator to fuel boring Bennett's boring angst, and the resolution was rushed to gently caress and totally unsatisfying.

The only part I enjoyed was Capaldi's awesome little monologue about the bootstrap paradox at the beginning. I hope they continue to utilize his guitar skills just as past DW used McCoy's circus tricks and Pertwee's love of fast cars (e.g. whenever possible, appropriate or not).

EDIT seriously the more I think about this episode the more pissed I get. What was the the point of the Doctor intruding on his own timeline? What was the point of him putting so much emphasis on Clara's phone if he never even called her back? Hell, much as I enjoyed it, what was the point of that cold open monologue? How did the Fisher King make the ghosts? Did Whithouse seriously pull a "lol it was just a hologram i wasn't dead" ending? Did the Doctor seriously beat the villain by just weakly bullshitting him? Was the villain an unused Torchwood enemy recycled for DW or what? Are there actually people who thought this shite was better than Apprentice/Familiar?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't care for this episode. All of the plot hooks just dropped (the phone not mattering at all, intruding on his own timeline not mattering because it was just a hologram anyway, the "it's a paradox! Weird...anyway...", etc.) felt way off. So ghosts aren't real? Or the Fisher King used their "souls"? Doesn't that imply ghosts are indeed real, just that he grabbed them and used them for...a communications relay? That's weak. The Fisher King looked great in profile, but pretty awful straight on.

And yeah, the Doctor won with a trick that was half a step above, "Made ya look."

The setup was intriguing, and the special effects were great. But that's about it.

Also, we're two stories in, and both have the Doctor coming to terms with his own death, only to say, "Nah, never mind." Is every story this season going to involve the Doctor coming to terms with the concept of his own death, just to hand wave it away? And the guitar. My god, the guitar. Again, fine, I guess, to have the moment once, but two stories in a row hand jamming in Capaldi playing the guitar seems incredibly forced, and I don't really understand why. Did he learn to play in the off season, and they just said, "Eh, let's have the Doctor play the guitar in every story now. Why not, who gives a poo poo?"

I'm really not liking this season so far. Wasn't this season supposed to be the Doctor and Clara finally comfortable and just having fun adventures? It's been dour, "I'm going to die" stories so far. It's like a rehash of the Trenzalore story line, but every week started and "resolved". Sure it's just two stories, but it's 4 episodes, which is 33% of the season. I want my fun adventures, dammit.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Paul.Power posted:

The thing about steampunk is that it's at the bottom of the nerd food chain. Actual steam engine nuts get annoyed at the mechanical and historical inaccuracy of it all. And fans of other -punk genres get annoyed because it focuses on the upper classes and not the downtrodden living in a grimy dystopia.

Makes me wonder if there's potential out there for a book that puts both the steam and the punk back into steampunk.
Someone in a Doctor Who thread nerd sharming, and talking about the "nerd food chain". Wonderful.

Like, I don't give a poo poo about steam punk, but that just means I don't give a poo poo about it. People can like what they like. And historical inaccuracy? Really? First off, again, Doctor Who. Second, of course it's not accurate, it's made up fantasy.

SiKboy posted:

Have you considered just not watching it? I mean, I loathe gotham but I'm cool just not watching it, and the people who for some bizarre reason enjoy it can continue to watch their awful show. Like if you hate current who enough to want it cancelled entirely then no-one is forcing you to waste an hour of your saturday on a show you hate*. If you hear its changed into something more like a show you would enjoy you can always catch up anything you miss, or come back here and someone will recommend what episodes you *need* to watch to understand the new status quo or whatever. I'm up and down on capaldis doctor so far, there are episodes I like and episodes I dont, but if I found myself consistantly that angry about the show I'd walk away from it and never look back.

*Unless they are. If they are and you need us to send help then "accidently" double post. We'll know what you mean.

We're 4 episodes into the season. Someone is absolutely allowed to complain about a show they love having a bad start to a season without having to give up on the show. He didn't say he hates the show. He said he's hating this season. Which is less than half way done.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You've completely misread his post. Wilfully or not I leave as an exercise.

I left out the part about the upper class because it's actually a fair point so nothing to complain about. But other than that, what did I miss? Was he sarcastically saying Steam Punk is the bottom of the nerd food chain?

Genuinely asking. If he wasn't nerd shaming Steam Punk, I'll admit I was wrong. But it seemed really annoyed at Steam Punk fans.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Just got around to watching these episodes, and finally this season I got 2 I liked. They were funny where they needed to be, posed interesting moral questions other places, and was well acted all around. And ended on a redemption and pretty optimistic note. So drat happy about these 2. More like this, please.

I loved the idea of the diaries, because the human mind can only hold so much. Also, loved the Doctor proclaiming himself to be Odin, only to have Odin appear in the sky. Loved it.

edit: Though I still feel like we could lose the guitar scenes and not be worse for it, but they're...fine, whatever. Just placed there for no real reason.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 28, 2015

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

M_Gargantua posted:

Ok you lost me at some point. How would having Eccleston in th 50th have affected Smith's regeneration? War would still have regenerated to 9 at the end. The numbers still work out all the same.

The theory is, if Eccleston had said yes, there would have been no need for War Doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CommonShore posted:

Oh, he would have been the one with the cosmic kablooie widget in the broken house in the desert instead of John Hurt?

No idea what would have been different, but Moffat said he had to rewrite part of the script once he realized he couldn't use 9.

• Locked thread