Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

leica posted:

But doesn't that increase the odds of his steering wheel disappearing if he doesn't take it with him?

Honestly, if was really worried about my Momo getting stolen, I'd rather tack weld the nut to the shaft and have to grind it back off if I had to get the wheel off. Removable wheels just make it more of a PITA to me.

Not that I'd ever actually do the tack weld thing, but I have thought about it as a solution.

Just put a pentagonal nut or something equally annoying on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

bandman posted:

God, those USDM bumpers are loving tragic.

It's a stylish Italian moustache!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I have an appt with the shop after Tgiving for probably the last cool thing for the car this year.

It's a turbo setup isn't it?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

Flame decals

Best of both. Flaming 'TURBO' decals.

Edit:

These stickers carry bonus points if the car is not turbocharged.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 24, 2015

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

I'm expecting things like the ridiculous GM cam tool kits: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bM_XxrduFv4/maxresdefault.jpg

Edit: actually, the filename for this image says it all: http://www.blauparts.com/assets/oe-vw-timing-belt/vw_passat_timing_belt_tools_18taug.jpg

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Just keep your dick in a vise.

Son of a diddly!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

weatherpak (ugh)

Uh oh, what's bad about weatherpak connectors? I've just fitted 30 or so of them into my car wiring, as a replacement for previously crimped or soldered connections to aftermarket parts.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A butane soldering iron probably gets hotter and is more controllable than a Zippo. I know Weller makes a nice one.

Yup, I used a $45 Weller Portasol for all kinds of work, including surface mount PCB stuff. Great iron.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Why not use a soldering iron instead of soldering it like you're smoking PCP?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Kung Fury was THE poo pooTM

If you haven't watched it yet, please see below immediately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Blacknose posted:

Oh hey guys I'm going on a date and can't decide if I should drive :siren: my Ferrari :siren: or not.

FTFY.

And yeah, 100% Ferrari. Because the next day, your date will be telling everyone about how "he drives a fiero FERRARI!!!"

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Blacknose posted:

I'm not sure asking your date 'Would you like to see my fun car' is a very good idea.

I've changed my mind about bringing the Ferarri.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

$45k in service over the past 20k miles. I knew Ferrari's were expensive but jesus.

Automotive Insanity > to run one, you have to afford two

Indeed.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

But where's the shark nose, external oil cooler, and 10 foot pikachu-tail exhaust?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Loud pipes save lives!! :hurr:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

http://www.bskspeedworks.co.uk/typhoon-2-ecu.html

I've not heard of them, but looking here, it seems it uses its own proprietary communication to its software, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. You can often do more with this sort of system than you could with obd.

Looks like a well featured ECU, I wouldn't worry about it.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm just guessing here based on my own state, but I'm thinking kimbo is concerned about the OBD port more for emissions testing purposes (Dave seems to be following that line of thought too).

Ah, ok. I'm pretty sure we don't have that in the UK, at least I've never heard of it.

I figured you guys just stuck a probe up the tailpipe like a normal person. Does every car, even kit cars/home-built vehicles really need an OBD port?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Jymmybob posted:

:lol: it'd be hard to ever feel better about selling it than right after seeing that picture

I sold a Legnum VR4 a few years back, about 2 months later, the unicorn active differential failed in spectacular fashion. Bullet dodged!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

I hope he's able to afford two.

:perfect:

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 26, 2017

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Have you heard any more about the engine trouble? Was it the timing belt in the end?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My Lexus LS430 has a timing belt, wasn't really too thrilled about it at first, but from what I've seen the original belts can last over 200k although it's obviously not recommended. Apparently Lexus over engineered the gently caress out of the timing belts as well as people were reporting them showing hardly any wear way past the recommend change interval, so that has made me feel better about it.

Yup, the belt outlives the tensioners.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Do they give warning before they go? I hope it makes noise or something :ohdear:

Mine has been making bad-bearing noises for about 10k miles now, but its luck of the draw like any bearing failure, I guess. All UZ engines are interference except for the 1990-1993/4 motors.

It's not especially cheap to replace them though.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If the cam doesn't have any other damage, I don't see why it can't be repaired. Same goes for the damage to the cylinder head. He needs to get Keith Fenner on it :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

It certainly would face balance issues - the question is whether or not they are significant enough to warrant balancing. If it was :siren: MY FERRARI :siren: then I'd have it balanced at a place-that-does-balancing before fitting it.

• Locked thread