Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
I didn't really notice until today that Stealth Black is quite literally the fully-actualized version of Mr Prince. Like, those are Sanji's alter egos pre and post resolving his family issues. Mr Prince is a veiled reference to his background as a... prince, Stealth Black is Sanji actually formally and explicitly admitting to being that prince.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Cat Machine posted:

That's a great way of looking at it, actually. I wonder if Usopp's character arc will conclude similarly with him accepting the Sogeking persona in some way. Shin Sogeking?? Sogeking Ace??? Sogeking Seven???

I think the natural conclusion to that arc is Usopp putting on the mask out of bravery rather than cowardice. Every previous use of the persona has been to shore up his own insecurities or fears.

We'll know Usopp has truly become a Brave Warrior Of the Sea when he puts on the mask because he finds a sobbing child on a battlefield who's calling out for a hero, or similar. And it will make me cry.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Kawamatsu feels like he could be a Straw Hat.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

RatHat posted:

Whoever leaked the raid plans is probably the same person who leaked that Raizo was on Zou, so probably a mink(it's Carrot).

It's definitely Carrot. I've been saying this for months.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Okay, good to know. I'm glad there's some improvement and that it's a known problem that isn't just me "not getting it."

Yeah. Oda absolutely excels at the emotional narrative around fights, but he's weaker at the technical aspects of things compared to say, Araki.

I think it's particularly interesting to contrast One Piece and JoJo on this point - they share the same gimmick of having a series of bizarre, very variable and creative powers that offer huge room for emergent complexity during the fight, and have a tendency to have dramatic fights with big emotional stakes in play.

While Araki excels at making (almost) every fight fascinating, the overall narrative is frequently neglected, especially earlier in his work - the best example of this being the fact that the reader could skip about 2/3rds of Stardust Crusaders by accident and never notice. Oda, on the other hand, often has "predictable" fights - especially early on - but has an incredible ability to maintain a coherent and deeply engaging narrative for the series as a whole.

The good news is that they both improve on their weaknesses over time, and learn to play to their strengths. In the same way as JoJo reaches new heights with Steel Ball Run - because Araki starts to master the overall narrative - One Piece becomes dramatically better at getting the most out of its fights later on, after a specific breakpoint in the series, and justifies its reputation as the "best manga".

This is also why I pray, every night, for even a single chapter of Oda/Araki collab after they're both finished with their main works.

Bisse posted:

Skypeia and Enel are really cool ideas in theory, its just that the execution was botched.

I have odd feelings about Skypeia. I've encouraged people to skip the arc and go back and read it later before, but I also think it might be the single best (finished) arc in the series. It feels like an encapsulation of the series that excels as an individual story but sometimes loses the first-time readers interest by leaving a lot of existing plot threads alone for way too long.

It kind of feels like the movies, actually. A cool standalone story, but kind of unrelated to the main plot. Until far later on where you realize what it's been setting up, at least.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 7, 2019

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Thought of the day. Spoilering because it uses some info from recent chapters.

- Akainu joined the marines 30 years before the timeskip, at age 23.
- Rocks peaked 40 years ago.
- Thus, Akainu would have been around 8-13 years old when Rocks were active.
- Akainu has an obsessive hatred of pirates for some reason.

What're the chances that he'll be revealed to have been victimized by Rocks as a kid?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Normally I'd just expect Oden to come out looking like a clown, but Oda's already pulled that trick enough times that it's become predictable, and Oda almost never does the most predictable thing. I'm inclined to think we've already seen him somewhere instead.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Miraculously, there were no human fatalities.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

RatHat posted:

Yeah, Zoro is definitely related to Oden. If Denjiro really is Zoro's teacher maybe he was given Zoro to escape with when Kaido attacked. I don't see how the rest of the scabbards wouldn't know about that though.

I didn't notice myself until my second read-through that Oden just used a food-pun based sword move. That's the biggest reveal in the whole chapter.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Raposa posted:

Young Dogstorm and Catviper in the latest anime flashback are adorbs.

It was really weird to see the latest anime episode show a moment I was expecting from the next chapter. They must have synched that up very carefully.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Elfgames posted:

luffy doesn't need to hear the story cause he's already seen how she's affected he knows she's hurt, when he sees the room and realizes the extent he destroys the whole loving building.

The scene where he punches out Holdem is kind of similar to this. He just wants to save Tama and is pretty chill about running from Holden to keep the plan running, but when he notices her cheek and realizes that the dude has been torturing a child, he loses it and Red Hawks him.

I don't think Luffy would necessarily care about the 700-year old revelation of the Void Century itself, but we've already seen that he's perfectly willing to punch a Celestial Dragon in the face for being an inhumane rear end in a top hat, and is willing to declare war against the WG to help his friends out. I think what will happen is they'll either execute or try to execute Sabo and/or Vivi, and Luffy will go batshit and decide to overthrow the WG.

Personally I bet that he'll find out about this right as he's about to race Blackbeard for One Piece, and just let Blackbeard win that one, which'll set up the final-final fight.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Oh man, the next chapter is gonna own. No break too.

Nonspecific spoilers -

We get some quality time with the Roger pirates, get to see WB's crew growing (and a certain key ex-member joins), and... the previous user of Bon Clay's fruit?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
As far as I'm concerned, this chapter pretty much confirmed the old theory that Raftel is under reverse mountain, and the end of the series will involve using "Poseidon" to somehow destroy reverse mountain and create an "All Blue" where all four seas meet. The reveals and the direction they're going in synch up with that stuff pretty much perfectly.

Is Crocus waiting at the entrance to Raftel? Is Raftel just under reverse mountain in the same way as Fishman Island is under Mariejois?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
As far as I'm concerned, it's pretty open and shut due to the fact that the Oni is way stronger than the Dragon. He got tossed around by Oden and Luffy as a dragon and then transformed into the Oni to 1-shot them. According to the logic of Zoan powers, which we know is consistent for animal to humanoid zoans as we have Chopper as precedent, the "full shapeshift" form is stronger than the base animal form.

It also hit me when writing this that we've never seen Kaido's hybrid shape. Assuming that's not his awakened form or whatever.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 5, 2020

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He'll absolutely master this technique within a day, because if you could turn your surroundings into a bouncy castle at any time why the hell wouldn't you

Also something something Gummi Bears

Actually on that note it absolutely makes sense why Oda specifically chose the goofiest looking power he could think of for the hero, because it means he never stops being fun.

I think he's on record as saying that that's basically the exact reason he has the Gum Gum fruit. There's always an element of comedy.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
There are spoilers out.

No break next week.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Silver2195 posted:

He and Denjiro don’t look very similar, though. It’s more likely that Denjiro left Wano and became Zoro’s teacher.

It's worth noting that Kyoshiro is a money-lender, though, which is very much in line with what we've seen of Denjiro, who was also shown to have deep knowledge of how Wano's Yakuza works.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 27, 2020

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

tbp posted:

actually this entire part with the samurai interacting with the minks is bizarre in light of the backstory

it just casually goes unmentioned that they were flung twenty years into the future the entire time

Considering the amount of effort they put into Raizo, I figure they were just super disciplined about letting Kinemon decide when to say it.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Demonicpoodle posted:

Chapter 974 very short spoilers

Chapter title: Onwards to Onigashima

And here's a much more spoilery, but still nonspecific one.

The traitor is revealed.

Also no break next week.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Mar 12, 2020

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Hahahaha, I just realized that Luffy is going to crash into a second feast and ruin Big Mom's meal again. She's going to go loving insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Funky Valentine posted:

We finally get do see Doffy's eyes when they pop out of his glasses while he makes his Enel face upon learning that Luffy is Pirate King. That'll be his panel in the epilogue.

I do think that the simple fact that Oda hasn't shown us his eyes yet means that he's guaranteed to reappear later in the manga as an active character.