Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Has One Piece chapter 0 aka 565.5 ever had an official Viz manga release? I need a copy and willing to buy digital volume if it's included.

Yeah, Viz did it for their Shonen Jump magazine release. No idea if they ever put it in a volume or not though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I love One Piece!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Totally forgot the chapter Luffy does shrooms and gets a tugjob. Is this Amazon or Amsterdam?
Welp, only 300 more chapters until I catch up, though I feel like my reading pace is going to get slower and slower since everyone says the post timeskip arcs are the worst OP arcs thus far in terms of overall arc quality rankings

A lot of good stuff happens in Dressrosa. The problem is Dressrosa is really long so that even the good moments become fleeting memories.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bad Seafood posted:

Finishing up Little Garden, is there ever any kind of basis given for Ms. Goldenweek's color trap power?

I'm not super invested in this question having an answer, just mildly curious.

Nah. It's just neat.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The thing about the straw hats being heroes is that just sort of incidentally happens. Everything they've done has always been for a friend. If I remember right, them helping Vivi started out as a job before she also became their friend.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also yeah, I just remembered that Luffy practically never knows anyone's backstory when he decides to punch the villain in the face, because he always falls asleep when it's told.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Speaking of superfluous characters, I still wonder what the bigger narrative purpose of Kinemon and Momonosuke are. For characters that are temporarily sailing with the straw hats, I tend to forget they exist. Arguably they're the Vivi for the New World, but they're hasn't been any real buildup as to where their endpoint is like there was with Vivi and Alabasta. Also Law fits the Vivi role more at this point.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Baal posted:

Does anything important unlock in story mode?

A couple of characters. I think Marco, Jinbei and Ivankov. Presumably Sabo if you didn't get the preorder dlc.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There's also playing the CP9 stage repeatedly with most of the Strawhats to get their 2-bar Musou.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

F. Lobot posted:

Why did the government name Chopper "Cotton Candy Lover"? The only time he had ever eaten Cotton Candy was in the audience of the Davy Back Fight, while he wasn't even a member of the Strawhat's crew. Aokiji was the only marine on that island that could have seen it. He does seem like the kind of guy that would shrug off his job to watch the Pirate Games, but why would he notice Chopper is one of the hundreds in the crowd eating stadium food?

The photographer is very good at getting his pictures and highlighting pirate's key traits without ever being seen in the midst of battle, with the exception of Sanji.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, I'm pretty excited for Zou now.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Oh good, I wasn't the only one who thought that.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

People have been speculating that Lola's mother (who is apparently some kind of big shot in the New World, according to Lola) is actually Big Mom. This chapter adds another potential candidate, I guess.

People were speculating it up until Big Mom got revealed. Big Mom being this monstrous being who eats everything kinda killed that speculation.

Bucking having that pigtailed Jolly Roger does sort of lend itself to Lola, as well as them having similar personalities pursuing men if we assume Bucking is wrong about being Whitebeard's lover.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The reason I like Zoro's fight in alabasta is because it's basically a culmination of all his training ever since he lost to Mihawk. Throughout all the preceding arcs, you see Zoro constantly training since he's still sore about the loss, as well as the whole stuck in candle wax gag in little garden. It isn't till Alabasta where he finally sees some insight on how to improve as a swordsman.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Every Usopp fight is the best. Especially Luffy vs. Usopp which was heartbreaking.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm glad Buggy still runs his pirate crew as a circus.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

AnonSpore posted:

Jaya and Skypeia loving owned

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Alabasta and Water7/Enies Lobby are probably my favorite arcs, but Jaya/Skypeia is probably the most fun for me.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Amppelix posted:

I just read the latest chapter, and man, I had to do a double take when Dragon just sort of casually appeared. His face wasn't covered and he had normal dialogue with another character! Maybe I'm forgetting another instance, but Dragon's been shrouded in mystery for so long it's really refreshing to just see him occasionally.

I'm pretty sure he's been uncovered ever since Garp casually revealed him way back. He usually shows up in dark lighting though I want to say.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Advice posted:

That Bleach one is actually pretty amazing. You're on Mr. Kubo's Wild Ride, even the characters are stuck on it, they're not even happy about it. The current and former villains, always stupidly mysterious and omnipotent, watch over you as well. It's a loving nightmare.

I actually don't like the spoilers in that One Piece one. Luffy's form is very unique visually and a lot of people are going to see that and have Gear 4 partially ruined for them. Does Luffy appear in this form already in mainstream toys/etc?

Not yet. Toys and stuff tend to tie in to whereever the anime currently is I wanna say.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Advice posted:

Was this the first arc where we had an honest-to-goodness, "Waiting for Goku" moment? I mean the team usually leaves the big bad for Luffy and many times they will stall for him, but an integral part of WfG is the hero showing up right at the last possible second, when we've already had a, "Well I guess he's too late and X is going to die" moment, and the hero often steps in to physically block the final blow and start the fight.

And I feel like often times Zoro is in a position to stop the big bad and is clearly able to but Luffy has to be the one to do it, due to positioning or setbacks. This time Zoro had no intention of doing anything but stalling for Luffy.

Most arcs generally stall for Luffy.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There's a case to be made for honorifics though. It's just a lot of the time, translation can write around that by altering dialogue to fit the particular context, though every now and then, you get the curveball of a character dropping honorifics and this being a significant thing. Usually that's something reserved for romcoms and dramas though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Thank you for your post... Allarion-sama.

I'm glad we both know where we stand, senpai.

TriffTshngo posted:

Sometimes I hear "nakama" in different anime and it's always translated as friend so that whole deeper meaning argument never really carried much weight to me.

Overuse of swearing is an issue but certain characters, like Bart, are better off being more vulgar. Dude literally took a piss in the middle of a battle royal off the side of the ring. The reason him being a Luffy fanboy was as neat of a twist as it was is because he's introduced as this foul mouthed jackass who's just super abrasive to everyone he interacts with, so we all assumed he'd be another new rival, but then nope. Anyway, Luffy saying "I'll kick that bastard's rear end" is fine, for me, but I will admit when he starts dropping f-bombs that's kind of unwarranted and out of character. It's all a matter of context I guess. Zoro and Sanji arguing and calling each other some kind of name that involves poo poo or gently caress? Sure I can see it. Nami telling them off for it and dropping that same kind of language? Not as easy to picture.

It stood out to me in Dissidia when they kept calling each other nakama, and it was translated as friend. In that particular case, I didn't really agree with that translation since I do think comrade would have been better since it's 10 strangers suddenly having to work together.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

track day bro! posted:

Is there any way to read one piece online without buying every volume. Like some sort of monthly fee type thing?

There is but it's Japan-only for the time being. It's an app though rather than being an online thing.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I dunno, I always felt like Nami was denying to herself of being part of Arlong's crew even if she technically was. Like Oda explicitly has her hate pirates from the start, so he had some idea of her backstory at that point.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Though to be fair, there was an early period that Nami was planned to be this.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
That dragon :allears:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Shinjobi posted:

I'm blaming you.:mad:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

frajaq posted:

So with the guy leaking the raws being arrested this means we won't get the new chapter for awhile?

It just means we get the chapter the same time Japan officially does. Technically the popular scanlations have been releasing chapters one week before they actually drop in Japan, which is why people think the official Viz releases are one week behind.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Guy A. Person posted:

Presumably we won't be getting the early release from the Chinese raw. WSJ officially releases Sundays or Mondays right? So we didn't get "last week's" chapter because it was on break for the issue that released at the beginning of this week, which usually leaks several days in advance. We didn't get a chapter today/tomorrow because the leaker was arrested. But at the beginning of next week we should get the chapter that would have leaked tomorrow.

Does that seem accurate?

Presumably yes.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

drjuggalo posted:

ya'll think killer is one of sanjis brothers?

I can see him having brother named Yonji anyways.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Remember those mermaid quintuplets?

Ichika, Nika, Sanka, Yonka, and Yonka Two.

It's such a fun and cute joke.

Well that and it seems like a pun name Oda would make for an assassin

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Gyges posted:

And that's what makes Oda a good storyteller. Being able to weave the poo poo he just comes up with one the fly in with the stuff he planned out from the beginning and stuff he added as his plans changed in such a way that the seams are largely inconsequential.

Yeah. Franky exists because Oda was such a big fan of the VA that he essentially created a character to match that VA's voice, but Franky as well as the supernovas just mesh into the story naturally that you wouldn't expect them to not be part of the original plan. Also Franky is probably a vehicle for all of Oda's robot ideas since his planned robot manga after One Piece is done probably won't be coming anytime soon

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Pureauthor posted:

Strong World is kinda weird because it featured a villain considered a big shot in the New World right about the time the manga was emphasizing that the Straw Hats were simply not anywhere near ready for the New World.

On a somewhat related note: How is Film Z or whatever it's called?

Well, he basically lost due to hubris. Luffy could have drowned in that water ball, but Shiki decided to try to finish him all fancy.

Film Z was ok. Not quite as memorable as Strong World, but it was interesting. Zephyr was also a pretty interesting antagonist.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bothered me in that there was literally no place it could have fit in.

One Piece generally has some leeway between arcs, but this was not the case since the timeskip.

Animation and fighting scenes were really good.

Less happy about the plot.

Strong World can fit between Thriller Bark and Sabaody. The only issue is Zoro isn't injured in Strong World from his Thriller Bark injuries, but otherwise, the movie can fit in there.

EDIT: Oh wait, you were talking about Film Z. Yeah, that's just a weird case, especially given how Aokiji was first revealed in that movie long before Punk Hazard revealed what happened to him.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 1, 2016

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Luffy's drawings being prophetic has been a running gag for a while

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sub Harrison posted:

15 bucks a year for all of one piece?

Just the latest chapters, but you retain every issue you're subscribed for, so I still have all of Black Clover available to me.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
One Piece Gold's character designs all in one place.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Movie 4 is fun. It's not high class art or anything, but it's the Straw hats joining in on a pirate race for loot and glory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Gyges posted:

Isn't it the one with the candy logia? I liked pretty much everything about that movie except the bad guy.

Basically. Bad guy was basically a Crocodile rip-off anyways, but fun movie overall.