Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hey 'sup it's your Secret Santa.

I was gonna make a Prezi for this but apparently you need to pay to make it private????? I was like gently caress no that poo poo ain't happening. So I thought about using Google Docs but I was like, eh, too much effort also I know nothing about the Cloud. So you're getting a post in the One Piece thread that nobody is apt to see because who the gently caress reads backlogs of manga threads????

Anyways you asked for weird foreign candy and I am sure that my gifts satisfy 1 of those 2 conditions, so I thought I might as well give you an explanation of what they are, complete with lovely pictures I took with my camera's phone in my room.

호박엿 (pronounced hobak yeot, Korean Pumpkin Malt Candy)
Yeot is a type of traditional Korean confectionery (source: Wikipedia). The one I've sent you is made with pumpkin (호박). Yeot is pretty tough at first, but it starts to get pretty chewy after a while. I'd liken it to taffy, but I'm not really sure what taffy is other than the fact that there's apparently a thing called saltwater taffy? A fun fact about yeot - telling someone to eat yeot is pretty much Korea's way of saying "gently caress you." This has its origins in the mujeup padong (Radish Juice Crisis) of 1964.
The time was December 7th, 1964. At this time, students had to take tests to enter middle school. The crisis revolved around one particular middle school - Jeongi Middle School. You see, one of the questions on the test was a multiple question that laid out the instructions for making yeot and asked the following: "Which of the following can be used in lieu of yeot oil to make yeot?" The answer to the question, according to the people who had made the test, was "diastase." However, another option among the multiple choice answers was "mujeup (Radish Juice)", which people claimed could be used as well. This was because mujeup contained diastase, and this fact was even stated in elementary school texts at the time. The makers of the questions claimed that the test takers were supposed to pinpoint the component needed to make yeot, which didn't really go over well with angry parents.
The situation was made even worse when Seoul's superintendent of education made the monumentally stupid mistake of saying that if people could make yeot from mujeup, then he would try to save students who had gotten that answer wrong." You can pretty much guess what happened after that.

Shio Ame (Salt Candy)
Here's the fun part - this isn't Korean. It's Japanese. It's ironic because I'm sending you Japanese candy from Korea! I tried one, and it's not all that salty in my opinion. I grouped it with the hobak yeot to make what I call the "X-Box One Package" cause it's full of gently caress yous and salt from the tears of bratty 14 year olds. It's a console joke. X-Bone sucks.

Pocky & Ppeppero
Pocky is the Japanese original chocolate-covered stick. Ppeppero is the Korean knockoff by Lotte. Just chocolate would have been boring so I got you blueberry and almonds. Unfun fact: I actually bought the Pocky first thinking it was Ppeppero, and then bought the Ppeppero once I realized my mistake. I hear Pocky tastes better. I don't really care. I can't tell the difference. The "Zep has no sense of taste" meme.

누룽지 사탕 (pronounced nurungji satang, Scorched Rice Candy)
Nurungji (Scorched Rice) is the rice left in the cooking pot after making rice. Literally leftovers. For some monumentally hosed up reason, Korean people like it and think it's refreshing. They pour hot water on it and eat it as soup or tea or whatever. nurungji is best eaten as nurungji tang (Scorched Rice Soup), a Chinese (or Korean-Chinese) dish that involves putting Nurungji in a savory seafood soup. It's really more about the soup than the nurungji, really. Nurungji is best not eaten as pretty much everything else, including candy. It's not bad, but there's probably better.

허니버터침 (Honey Butter Chip)
Originally a Japanese product, Honey Butter Chip became wildly popular for absolutely no legible reason when it entered Korea in the latter half of 2014, bringing about the aptly named "Honey Butter Craze of Dumb Fucks Susceptible to Stupid loving Fads." They quickly sold out, were virtually impossible to obtain. The company behind the Honey Butter Chip was unable to meet demands, so people turned to a bunch of copycat products like Honey Tong Tong or Sumi Chip Honey Mustard. Everyone and their dog was promoting their products by adding the words "honey butter" or "honey" or "honey + some other ingredient that was not butter" to take advantage of the notoriously fad-prone Korean people. The phrase "Honey Butter Chip" came to symbolize "something rare and valuable" to the Korean collective. To me, it symbolizes "something that's not really that great but got propped up and thrown on a pedestal for no good reason for a period of time before the public decided to follow the next big thing." I tried it once a month or so back and it wasn't that great. Enjoy a trivial piece of Korea's petty history with the bag I've sent you. Hopefully the bag hasn't been torn during the trip. Marvel at its unremarkable flavor, then head to a supermarket and buy a bag of the objectively superior Doritos.

양갱이 (pronounced yanggaengi, Sweet Bean Jelly)
This is one of Korea's oldest commercial snacks, as the brand began production in 1945 after Korea's liberation from Japanese rule. The second oldest snack in Korea was released at least 10 years after it. It's based off the Japanese yokan, which itself is based off something from China, like virtually everything in Korea and Japan. It's incredibly sweet and soft, which often turns young people away. However, old people like it because of those very qualities. It's meant to be eaten with tea and stuff. It's classy. The ones I've sent you are Red Bean and Acorn, which you should be able to tell by the pictures. There are also Sweet Potato, Almond, and other flavors. Don't eat too much at once. Eatin' 2 is no big deal, but consuming too much of them at once can shut down your brain or whatever due to the influx of sugar or something, I dunno, I'm not a scientist. It may be a bit difficult to open the package cause it's sorta sticky, so be careful about that.

사보텐 스토어 (Saboten Store)
Saboten Store is a maid cafe exclusive to Korea. It also serves as a place to buy and reserve anime/manga goodies like figures, dolls, original Korean doujinshi (books, games, CDs, etc.). I've never really tried out the cafe, but I did buy a nice phone strap featuring Sakura Chiyo. It was expensive but hella cute. Then I ended up sitting on it while my phone was in my pocket and it broke. Now I'm sad. I'd say the prices are expensive, but they're probably reflective of the Korean anime/manga goodie market. The store knows its audience - in the shop section, 1 wall has stuff like Love Live and iDOLM@STER and other stuff to appear to fat goons like me and then the other wall has a bunch of stuff for series that appear to fujioshi, like Kuro's Basket and other series that feature a bunch of dudes who might or might not make out with each other according to fans. The handkerchief (I think?) I sent you features the store's mascot characters, which are also unique to Korea. The chick in the green dress and blonde hair is the main mascot. I also sent you the shopping bag because... because reasons.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy poo poo, didn't notice it was Spandam the first time around. I did notice, however, that Lucci's pigeon has it's own mask.

Allarion posted:

I love One Piece!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Pity we started the new thread early, I'm sure someone clever coulda worked up something with Game of Thrones as the thread title.

I want this to happen, but only because it would greatly irritate someone.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Something nobodies going to notice was brought up by someone who speaks Japanese and read the raws.

The guy talking with Lucci about the weapons trade is Kaku. He has the same unique speech pattern where he uses old timey slang.

Aw, sweet, thanks for the info![

Kaku is cool.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mechanigma posted:

That was fun! After so much decompression, it's amazing how much Oda can cram into one little chapter.

Looks like we got our first sort-of look at Ryokugyu on that big cast splash, but no hint of the seventh warlord? X Drake is suspiciously separated from the rest of the supernovas. Could be nothing, could be Oda does it again

Might be cause he's workin' for Kaidou? Then again, Capone might be workin' for Big Mom but he's with the rest of the Supernovas.

I'm going to assume it's of no signifiance for now, and then when Oda does something to refer to it I'm going to post something along the lines of "ODA DOES IT AGAIN" and "ODA THE GOD" and "ODA NEVER FORGETS" and post as many :vince:s as possible.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gyges posted:

Let me tell you about the complex exploration of open space seen in the background of Bleach...

That didn't really make any sense when it happened with Ace. Why did it just start burning when he was in Impell Down? Like, how does it differentiate between the guy being in a prison and chilling out at the bottom of the Moby Dick? Get the poo poo kicked out of him in an island wide fight with Blackbeard, that makes sense to cause your vivre card to react.

Do vivre cards magically repair themselves? Like if Ace hadn't given in to the weakest, most obvious, taunting since Marty McFly was called a chicken, would Luffy's bit of the card have unburned itself?

Yes, they apparently do. In the chapter with Ace's death, the card (before it burns out completely) is repaired from its original state, presumably because Ace was freed from the scaffold. Sanji also mentions in 490 that the paper gets bigger again when the owner gets better.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
:rip: this guy.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Amorphous Blob posted:

How do you even remember that guy?

I was wrong. Junior is great and so is his momma. Law seeing Ussop as badass enough to go by "god" is hilarious. Elephant land looks amazing and kinda like something out of Toriko.

He looked familiar, and I was sure I'd seen him in Marineford many years ago, so I looked through the wiki to refresh my memory and there he was. Didn't recognize the name, but Oda's really good with distinct faces. Granted, I initially thought he might've been Lip Service Doughty from the 2-Year Reunion arc.

I have a good memory when it comes to useless manga facts.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
WAIT A loving SECOND.

IS THAT A FAKE MUSTACHE?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's snot, settle down

: I don't actually like the new guy at all TBH, but I suspect Oda will do something cool with him that changes that

You're probably right but I refuse to settle down.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only thing I will settle FOR is more chapters of One Piece.

Also the spoiler tag doesn't work with the timg tag.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThingOne posted:

The Sunny's chained to one of Zou's legs. :aaa:

:vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

:vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God drat, Sabo must've done a loving number of Jesus if he only just managed to wake up now. I mean, the ease in which Sabo dominated against Jesus really knocks down the supposed power of the BB pirates a peg. Granted, they probably have tricks up their sleeves. But still.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Advice posted:

We need to see if Nami feels the same way, so the girls can have a Robots.

I think it's just a Robin thing, given her weird imagination spots and tendency to find creepy things adorable and appealing.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, the BB pirates alternate between looking like major threats (dealing a wound to Shanks before getting the Dark Dark Fruit, beating Ace, tanking Sengoku's attack without really taking much damage besides the standard anime blood cough, stealing WB's fruit) and coming off as major wusses (BB getting for his life in front of WB, ganging up against a dying WB, getting destroyed by Magellan, Jesus coming off as a total bitch in comparison to Sabo) so it's really hard to get a good measure of their strength.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shugojin posted:

It's been forever since I read Skypiea but I remember thinking the snake was totally rad.

Speaking of the snake, one thing that impresses me about the Skypiea flashback is that Norland was able to loving take out a massive snake in a single blow, whereas Zoro, the Skypieans, the Shandarians, and even Enel weren't able to kill Nora.

Though Enel did beat Nora pretty conclusively.

Really makes you wonder how strong the guy must've been.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

drjuggalo posted:

didnt he move the drat island when his legs got stuck in that earthquake?

Yeah. Fucker was hardcore.

As strong as the current generation is, it really hammers in how strong previous generations must have been.

Granted, the members of the Straw Hat crew are all pretty young and haven't really hit their peak yet.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cloks posted:

Crazy theory: The five giants leaving Buggy's crew are literal giants. They're joining up with the giants serving under Luffy.

This theory is about as crazy as my controversial opinions are controversial.

Hjar literally says he has 4 other giants he dreams of recreating the Giant Pirates with.

Then in this chapter we are told that 5 giants, including Hjar, have left Buggy's crew.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Space-Bird posted:

It's pretty interesting that most one piece fans have such a dislike for naruto and bleach. To be honest I never cared much for naruto and bleach either. Maybe it's because one piece often gets lumped in with them due to genre?
I guess one piece is a weird outlier that is also the most successful shonen series in existence.

In my search for the original I found that this got updated.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Parrotine posted:

I don't really understand what's going on in that last bleach panel but I'm not sure I want to cause it's ten times funnier that way

I can't tell who the first face is. Second is Aizen and third is YWACH, but is the first one... Kubo?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The third OP picture is also hilarious because no Luffy really does have a punch that can twist and turn to home in on his target.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is that a Quincy mark on the roller coaster cart?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Superb.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ha ha ha holy poo poo those comments.

I literally cannot take anyone who even entertains the notions that "something is lost when translating nakama to something else" seriously at all. And this is coming from a guy who likes the usage of -senpai in Persona.

poo poo idiots actually think.

quote:

- On stuff like Nakama, I think it's important not because it supposedly doesn't translate, but because of the meaning it's taken on for the fans. (Also Enel is a much better name than Eneru [is that a controversial topic with this podcast or something?], even Ener would have been a good compromise.)

quote:

While I do agree that using the term "four emperors" to replace the term "yonkou" and "seven warlords" to replace "shichibukai' do make sense and are perfectly reasonable, changing up the nakama to different meaning like "friends" or "crew" or "family" or whatever does exactly what you argue the scanlations are doing, which is changing up the original translations to make it sound good or give it flair. "At least I still have my crew" does NOT have the same impact as saying "at least I have my nakama", or "At least I have my friends/comrades". Impact is indeed lost when you change nakama to crew, it just is.

quote:

The way it's used in the series, translating the word 'nakama' to friends or crew mates lessens the meaning behind it. You might as well use family considering how deep the bond is between Luffy and his crew. I don't really see a problem with leaving the word untranslated.

quote:

Also the OPP deal with the use of nakama is insane, in english the word has other meanings friend or crewmate. Which arent as interchangeable in english as friend has more impact for us emotionly. Translators try to guess odas use of the word when luffy says it and thats just as bad as when scanlators do it for other words as youve just said. Imo again, nakama is a better word to use but as you correctly state its not proper translation but its more accurate as long as you know what the work nakama really means. Also the first time the jp word is used in a series it is normally explained.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Good words.

Companions.
Comrades.
Friends.
Crew.
Family.
Bros.

I feel like this nakama bullshit and swearing is more of your average fan not having a wide-enough vocabulary.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cloks posted:

You're not my nakama.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

All of you are my nakama.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm not your nakama, tomodachi.

Don't call me tomodachi, aibou!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Couldn't they just have gone with Arlong saying something like "she belongs to us" and Luffy saying "no, she belongs with us" or "no, she's one of us" something like that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean, I'm not gonna retroactively poo poo on translators cause I think translations and scanlations have come a long way (and because I'm a translator myself and the thought of tackling something like a comic is beyond my current capabilities), but defending words cause of perceived nostalgia doesn't seem really meaningful.

They could have done better. They didn't, and I don't blame them for that, because they were in the early stages and still developing and growing. But that doesn't excuse defending the usage of the word.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I'm willing to do this

If I did that I'd have to despair at the work I did 1 year ago.

I am more than fully willing to poo poo on translators who do poo poo work in the present like a good deal of freelancers I have to deal with.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Allarion posted:

There's a case to be made for honorifics though. It's just a lot of the time, translation can write around that by altering dialogue to fit the particular context, though every now and then, you get the curveball of a character dropping honorifics and this being a significant thing. Usually that's something reserved for romcoms and dramas though.

Thank you for your post... Allarion-sama.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Allarion posted:

I'm glad we both know where we stand, senpai.

:argh:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AnonSpore posted:

I'm posting from the alternate universe where this happened and it's really cool over here guys

A cool world wouldn't feature my input.

Or me.

:(

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Asuron posted:

We saw the effect in Punk Hazard. Smiley ate the fruit and exploded immediately then the power got transferred to another fruit nearby.

But yeah we'll be finding all the details when we eventually meet Vegapunk, Oda already stated that's gonna happen in an SBS early on in the series run. It's actually kinda hard to think of a scenario Vegapunk would just dump out all of that information to them though, and I doubt he's the type of guy Luffy or any Strawhat would threaten for info honestly based on everything we've heard about him.

Smiley didn't really eat a second Devil Fruit though, from what I remember. Just some 'candy' that was meant to turn it into gas.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Asuron posted:

My memory is honestly a bit fuzzy around that whole thing, so you're probably right. That's my biggest problem with Punk Hazard, it starts out so strong and then it's just constant running from gas for so many chapters without much really going on and it's really hard to remember details about it other than the really important moments.

I guess you could say that the arc had so much running away from gas that it... ran out of gas.

Shut up I know people usually say "run out of steam" more often than gas but I needed to make the pun work!!!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh Christ, it's the attack of the loving furries. Should have guessed.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Robin (and the rest) empathizing with the dragon was the best thing.

She's even making a grave for it and planting a flower.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blockhouse posted:

good chapter but the gorilla having an afro and being named black back is not great

Isn't it just a reference to silverback apes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shinjobi posted:

I'm blaming you.:mad: