Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

ugh, I think I'm at the worst possible point of any One Piece reread, the Davy Back Fight Arc. Just always killed the momentum coming out of Skypiea for me. Gotta slog through this so I can get to CP9. :coolfish:

Wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Barto club for the extreme win.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I hope that Kaido has a seemingly non threatening devil fruit that turns out to be insanely badass... for example Kaku.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Foxy is going to come back and Gin is going to be a member of his crew as well as Johnny and Yosaku.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

oddium posted:

here's an article about why scanlations are bad (saved you a click: it's because of swears and shichibukai/nakama/yonkou). the most interesting part is the difference in visual quality between official and scanlations:

also the article writer uses bartolomeo in like 3/4ths of the "excessive swears" category uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Scanlators are beyond fucktarded.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

track day bro! posted:

Is there any way to read one piece online without buying every volume. Like some sort of monthly fee type thing?

Yea there's plenty of sites where you can read it for free. Goon luck.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

RIP Kinemon.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

They're all dead and will be replaced by Kinemon, Kinemons son, the other samurai who draws stuff, and the epic Starfish fashion designer.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

So, we're going to see Jack's full body revealed in this next chapter:

Aaaaaand it's not Capt. Morgan. Whoops! :v: At least he's super swole, though. Dunno why it had to be such a dramatic reveal, though.

This is a dude who can apparently fend off an Admiral, the ex-Fleet Admiral, a Vice Admiral, and a convoy of Marines to get Dofy back so he must be super swole. If Kaidou is >Admiral++ level, then Jack must be around Admiral-level strength I'm betting.

That's clearly Captain "Axehand" Morgan. He has the prosthetic jaw.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

[After scrolling past 1 billion words of idle speculation] One piece must be on hiatus this week. Oda would never take us on such a boring adventure.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Momonosuke ftw.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

anime was right posted:

it seems pretty clear that jacks power was played up so that the elephant looked way more badass and to set future events in place

also lol kidd in jail? guessing apoo was a double agent or something i guess

Where does it say that Kidd is in jail?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Sanji is bad rear end.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Bon Clay is going to find one piece and become the pirate king.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Not exactly, since Sogeking was the one who set the World Government flag on fire and didn't get that much of a boost. Sanji was there the whole time but Zoro was taking down a lot more high profile people and generally regarded as a lot stronger. The years they spent training isn't even comparable either, Zoro spent time with the strongest swordsman in the world and Sanji spent his time running away from Okama and learning to cook new things.

For a time they were on pretty equal footing with Sanji being a lot more clever and resourceful but Zoro edged out in Waters 7, took Kuma head-on, and just kept getting stronger and stronger. I don't know how much stronger Sanji is than the rest of the crew are post training, who knows what kind of tricks Usopp and Nami have that could make them more dangerous, and Brook and Franky are much stronger too (But haven't had serious fights either).

Franky won the most hard boiled fight in history .. and you still think he's not serious?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Caesar Clown is going to be the Pirate King after he finds One Piece in 'That' place.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

True, but he does know some things about the Straw Hats that Big Mom wouldn't necessarily (e.g., that Chopper is a doctor, not a pet).

Chopper is rations.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

brainSnakes posted:

I like the idea of Pedro being a mole because that's an intense surprise twist, but there was a pretty ominous panel of some smiley face flowers in the foreground watching Brook and Pedro be snoops, so my vote goes to the fiendish foliage for... gently caress i can't think of an F word for spy. drat it.

Ok, since i'm here making dumb One Piece posts about this kickin' rad story arc, here's my bet.

Pekoms isn't dead, he got eaten by a shark after hiding in his invincible shell. he's going to pull a Yosaku and jump out of the ocean wearing that shark, and he's probably gonna do something badass with the moment like sucker punch Capone Bege.

He's going to hide in his invincible shell then die a Jojo's-style non-death at the bottom of the sea, invincible forever.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

*Turns chair around, sits in it backward*

But what about Johnny and Yosaku?

Part of Captain Gin's crew.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Shoren posted:

Something I was thinking about after seeing Luffy go to Gear Fourth so suddenly, and something I've considered for a long time, is how Luffy compares to Roger in terms of strength. We're pretty sure that Roger didn't have a devil fruit and it's likely that they simply weren't common when he was sailing because the age of pirates hadn't yet begun. As such it was important to be strong, but at the same time you didn't necessarily need to worry about fighting a guy that can control shadows, turn into a T-Rex, or is made of lightning.

Naturally Roger, Garp, Whitebeard, and even Don Chinjao got ridiculously strong from fighting each other constantly, however Roger's challenges in becoming the Pirate King were different from Luffy's in terms of antagonistic pirate crews with ridiculous abilities. Additionally, a lot of the people Luffy are currently fighting have had his whole lifetime to become as strong as they are; Luffy is still really young compared to most of them and has become incredibly strong on his own and with the help of his DF.

I've unfairly put a negative light on Luffy when compared to Roger due to Luffy having a DF and relying on it in battle, but on the other hand there's no telling if Roger himself would have been so successful in this type of world. I guess Shanks is the closest we have to comparing someone to Roger, but we haven't seen him really fight either.

Roger had the gum gum fruit my friend.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Gear 5 should be luffy vibrating at incredibly high frequencies and thus through the power of anime science be able to cut through anything.

Now i wonder is luffy a 6 gear manual or one of them new fangled 9 gear automatics.

He wouldn't be able to cut through Buggy the clown!

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Bobulus posted:

Arlong's sister was a shark mermaid on Fishman Island. She had a crystal ball and apparently had a very high (perfect?) accuracy in predicting the future correctly. She foresaw that Luffy would be the doom of Fishman Island. When this didn't happen, she destroyed her crystal ball and gave up fortune telling, claiming she didn't want to know the future. But, ominously, someone noted she hadn't said when Luffy's actions would destroy Fishman Island.

Considering that FMI still has a part to play in the big picture, what with an ancient weapon and the Ark and Joyboy's promise and all that, it's very possible that this might still come to pass. (Maybe in a good way? Fishman Island is destroyed because everyone heads to the surface?)

Fishman island is destroyed by the gentrifying presence of humans.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

anime was right posted:

oh yeah so the other thing is i bet the reason you can make a zillion zoan devil fruits is basically you make a slightly different model of the version by inventing a slightly new species.

Just like real life plant breeding (and plant patenting) so it checks out.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Sanji should beat their asses to look like funny Duval and then turn them in for his bounty.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

d.va has long hair I guess

none of the heroes fit sanji's kicking thing so I guess mccree was picked out of a hat. maybe lucio's soccer skin but idk

McCree smokes.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

The cover page. :eyepop:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Admiral Gin.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Eiba posted:

So with this chapter, it just occured to me... the antagonist of this arc loves food, can control the weather, and can manipulate souls.

Luffy is there with Sanji, Nami, Brook and Chopper.

I would make a joke about predicting that it will be revealed that Big Mom is a doctor, but if there's a connection it's probably that she loves strange creatures.

In any case... this is going to be a massive team fight. Luffy and Nami already teamed up against Cracker, so the theme is established. All the Strawhats here conveniently have something meaningful they can do against Big Mom.

I was wondering how this arc would end, since Luffy just had a ridiculously difficult 1v1 brawl with Doflamingo, a mere Shichibukiai, at the end of the last arc, but Luffy only taking down a Yonkou with the help of his crew seems like it would give that accomplishment the weight it deserves.

The chapter title would also work if she said she was going to kill herself.

Honestly, it's the reactions of Luffy and Nami that make it seem like it's more severe than running away. If she was running away, Luffy would probably be happy, and suggest she come with them or something. But they're horrified. She's either going to kill herself directly, or do something unforgivable to Big Mom.

Chopper's connection is that he's emergency rations and Sanji will cook and serve him to Big Mom.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

The ultimate gentleman Sanji Vinsmoke.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Aside from Jimbei who is going to die soon anyway, will there be any more crew members?

Caesar Clown, Gin, Kin'emon, Buggy the Clown, Bon Clay.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

mabels big day posted:

if you guys were dying and could learn the ending of any manga, what would it be. would it be one piece, or something else?

I would ask to learn the outcome of Washizu mahjong in Akagi: The Genius Who Descended Into Darkness.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

anime was right posted:

didnt the author say he's doing one last run of akagi and then it's over

Yea. But still...

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Gangster Gastino is going to be the next crew member.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

My college had these. You could even choose Whole, 1%, or Skim.

Has science gone too far???

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Dastardly posted:

Nothing will go wrong. Cool guy Gastino prepared 3 poison rocket launchers just in case.
He had to throw out all of his herbs and spare ammo and most of his other weapons but nothing will go wrong so why would he need them?

Good Guy Gastino.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

This is what I've been saying about Pudding the whole time (her name is just Purin in the Japanese text, translating it seems weird and inconsistent given that no one unironically uses the name "Bartholomew Bear").

Scanlators are so fucktarded...

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Morgans is probably the most twisted motherfucker in that group.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Supersonic Shine posted:

Would you read a series about a rookie marine/bounty hunter trying to capture the infamous Pirate King Monkey D. Luffy?

Only if Johnny and/or Yosaku are the surrogates for Shanks in that timeline.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Gangster Gastino ftw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

World axe hand magnate "Axe Hand" Morgan will also be joining the crew.