Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
As many people of note were in the Whitebeard Pirate Alliance, is it really surprising that the Supernovas aren't making a huge impact yet? We're not all that far into the New World and from prior experience we should know these guys are going to have to start making alliances with more powerful people to survive.

Just think about how many connections that the Straw Hats themselves have. Luffy's aligned with Jinbe, Shanks, and Hancock + Sabbo in addition to Robin knowing Dragon personally at this point, and Zoro's on seemingly good terms with Mihawk.

Other members of the Worst Generation aligning themselves with people like Kaido, Blackbeard or Big Mam isn't all that far-fetched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I think we've learned more in one chapter than we have the last 300. Jesus

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

What if you've got to lock in all four of the stones at the four islands to open the entrace of Raftel up :v:

Do people really think Oda didn't think of why you would absolutely need 4? Do you think he doesn't know how triangles work?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

lowercase16 posted:

In Big Mom's Utopia, even goons are allowed to walk the streets. Truly a wonderland.
So wonderful of Oda to include a tribute to his #1 fan tbp

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

New omnibus is out, covering most of Thriller Bark. It's hitting the point where I have straight up forgotten most of what happens until the time skip.

Thriller Bark is way shorter than I remember; 29 chapters in and all that's left is beating Oars and Moria. It's a nice change after Water Seven took four whole omnibuses.
Thriller Bark is thematically one of my favorite looking arcs, but I watched the anime straight through Waters Seven + reread the manga and this is always where I end up stopping. Gonna try and pick up the omnibus and power through it because I think this is the only major arc I don't think I've read

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I powered through Thriller Bark on One Pace and I've gotta say even though it wasn't my favorite arc, :zoro: was the absolute peak of badass in the series.

re: Admiral chat, I don't think there's ever been a serious fight between a Vice Admiral and a Straw Hat in the series for a long time, so it's pretty safe to say they all got stronger over the two years to deal with the Worst Generation threat too. One Piece is really great about not having defined power levels, and having unique styles come out sometimes over "Who's strongest" (Like Luffy beating Enel by being his natural weakness). I really do think that Ussop has gained enough tricks to be able to take out anyone pre-time skip outside of Luffy's opponents including the Franky family. He's the Batman of the straw hats, he's got to have a dozen different ways to have dealt with all of them besides a couple plants. Wouldn't be surprised if he picks up seastone bullets somewhere along the way.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 9, 2016

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Korean scans are out so the translations should be here soon and I have no idea what the gently caress Big Mom's ability is.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Is it wrong to want Carrot over Sanji in the main crew now? I know Sanji's got a lot of history, but he's basically second-best at most things he does. Second best fighter, second best strategist, and his dream was just to see a place with a bunch of fish.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I think the scary thing about Shanks crew is that they're obscenely strong and none of them seemingly have any Devil Fruits. Being that strong without Devil Fruits in the New World has got to mean something. The Admirals and Sengoku all had super powerful Devil Fruits and to just be on the same level as those guys are is pretty frightening.

Also I really hope that Mihawk and Perona become best friends so we can get more Perona back eventually. She and Monet were my favorite females in One Piece.

Silver2195 posted:

This is not necessarily the case. An early SBS answer states he's the smartest person introduced as of Volume 8, which is when the Baratie arc ends (Kuro is second, and Nami is third). Since then they've introduced Robin, Crocodile, Chopper, Franky, Vegapunk, Law, and Caesar Clown, and probably a bunch of other smart people I've forgotten, and some characters (particularly Usopp) seem to have gotten smarter.
Brook's introduction makes Robin's knowledge nearly invalid since the only thing she can do that he can't is read Polyglyphs. Since he's so old and was apparently in the New World he knows a hell of a lot about just about everything, he just doesn't bring much up.

Usopp is basically the crew's Batman with the benefits of not being the title character so he's not super over-powered. Sanji was a good strategist but that emphasis has dropped a lot too, he used to be the one to get the crew out of huge trouble before the time skip, but he hasn't done much except out-smarting the giant blowfish guy.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 21, 2016

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

show me the monet, oda
Most popular theory is that she died to give Nami a Devil Fruit (That may end up being used on her weather weapon) :v:

She had a lot of personality for a throw-away villain.

E: What the hell she's Sugar's older sister?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I still wonder why Shanks ever lost an arm if he was that strong other than him just wanting to prove a point to Luffy.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

gnome7 posted:

If Oda made Doflamingo, the master-mindiest character in the series, into a super tough fight for Luffy, Big Mom is absolutely going to be a proper fight that tests his limits. Like if there was any chance to mix up the formula, Doffy was it, and Oda did not take it.
Oda does great showing that the most powerful/influential characters in One Piece aren't always there because of pure strength. There are lots in power that just had really broken Devil Fruit abilities, there are those there who were just good at politics, and there are those there by sheer number advantages. I think Big Mom might be there because of a combination of being powerful and influential, much like Doffy. There's still plenty of people left in power that are there because they're just obscenely powerful to push Luffy to the limits, especially guys like Jack and Kaido who are presumably going to be in the same arc.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

There's been a couple minor issues lately so it's probably that he wanted to show Nami fighting the ants in that armor, the page got cut, and that panel was kept in. One of Sanji's brothers had these massive fist gloves and in the next panel he wasn't wearing them at all.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I remember pearl because his special move was setting himself on fire like an idiot
No that was Ace and he's dead now

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'd love for Carrot to be in the crew, she should be able to pull off some great melee fights like Sanji in contrast to Nami's gadgets and....Well Robin doesn't really fight that much. Electricity is also another element the Straw Hats don't have so she could combine that with some unique abilities, too.

I know at best she'll just be an arc-based ally though :smith:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Why wold Nami use electricity if she had Monet's devil fruit? (^:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Oda's really good at not using generic fights though, there's a lot of people who can beat "Unbeatable" opponents like Usopp being so negative that Perona's ghosts did nothing to him, or Luffy's innate ability to resist electricity so Enel had to get more creative. It's not just sword-pushing or over-using the same ability

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

We can't see the eyebrows of Sanji's father and his mustache isn't curled either so this must mean that he isn't their biological father quote me on this (until we see Sanji's mother has curly eyebrows)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

oddium posted:

i was talking about sanji's dad but i forgot about virgo. it's super nice that they let sanji be a part of the monster trio still. also i believe in robin
He hasn't had a serious fight in some time where he wasn't already injured but yeah, the Monster Trio basically broke up when we found out that there were only two Supernovas on the Straw Hats.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

tsob posted:

Then the point is even more silly since not only is Sanji very obviously not taking the fight seriously and ducking out at the first opportunity, but we have no idea of Judge's actual strength since he's unlikely to have shown his full hand either.

Wouldn't that have been because Zoro was a known individual and Sanji wasn't? He had no real picture at the time I think and had been doing his Mr. Prince thing during their biggest escapades so that he wasn't as public about stuff as Zoro.
Not exactly, since Sogeking was the one who set the World Government flag on fire and didn't get that much of a boost. Sanji was there the whole time but Zoro was taking down a lot more high profile people and generally regarded as a lot stronger. The years they spent training isn't even comparable either, Zoro spent time with the strongest swordsman in the world and Sanji spent his time running away from Okama and learning to cook new things.

For a time they were on pretty equal footing with Sanji being a lot more clever and resourceful but Zoro edged out in Waters 7, took Kuma head-on, and just kept getting stronger and stronger. I don't know how much stronger Sanji is than the rest of the crew are post training, who knows what kind of tricks Usopp and Nami have that could make them more dangerous, and Brook and Franky are much stronger too (But haven't had serious fights either).

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 22, 2016

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

My only real confusion about Haki comes from where it allows you to hit Logias, and a lack of people trying that in the Great War over Ace; then the idea that these people can definitely do it but it doesn't negate Logia types entirely. Luffy uses it in a convincing way, but if Luffy were to use it against Crocodile, would he then just obliterate him?

I don't remember a really tough fight in the New World yet against a Logia. Monet realized how hopelessly outclassed she was by Zoro and decided to shift gears and just stall instead

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Are there any instances of half-giants in One Piece yet?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Is that from Filler though?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

It's interesting to learn that people like Crocodile and Moria might have been rivals to Emperors at the time but they really don't hold up to the average guy in the New World currently. Although, the difference between a conqueror who controls smaller islands and runs through average people, and someone like Luffy who just stumbles upon one disaster after another also seems to make a difference. I doubt that Crocodile was picking fights with every villain type he ran across.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

tbp posted:

thats fine but then he should stop the whole "so and so died..no really, they're dead...lol psyche!" stuff cuz its cheap
It largely doesn't matter since those characters rarely show up anyway.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Are we finally working our way up to the Strawhats first true fights as a crew since the time skip? The previous fights all had gimmicks that were limiting their powers, nobody's gotten to go totally hog-wild yet and go all out. I wonder if there's going to be limits put on them in this fight too, like Luffy fighting Big Mom at first with an empty stomach and losing then Sanji coming in to the rescue with one of his special recipes that makes him much stronger and gives him some kind of awesome side-affect

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Millions posted:

Jimbei didn't lose that leg that was obscured last chapter. Wonder what he got on the wheel?
Maybe he decided to stay part of Big Mam's crew and is just rebelling on his own, since he just mentioned that his pirates are still part of her family?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The amount of poo poo it took to kill Whitebeard who was past him prime and dying still makes me weary about Big Mam taken out this arc. Like someone mentioned, this manga is 20 years old but it still feels like you could stretch it on easily for another 10

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I understand that Luffy trained with one of the strongest characters in the One Piece universe for a long time, but I still don't think he should be able to just effortlessly roll over one of the four current most powerful pirates. If Big Mom was that easy, they could have sent over Kizaru and just wrecked her poo poo, or one of the other three emperors could have easily done it too, especially during the power struggle left after Whitebeard and Ace died.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

Gear 4 vs Doflamingo was basically like a fully grown adult vs a child.

Yonko is a primarily political position, and Big Mom deals primarily in political power. I don't mean to imply that the Yonko themselves aren't physically formidable, but rather to clarify the source of their "Yonkoness".

It took the majority of Big Mom's forces to take Luffy, in an already weakened state, down. They took significant losses in the the bargain.

Luffy is going to eat maybe the best and most meaningful meal Sanji has ever created.

Luffy will beat Big Mom up, he's going to punch the hell out of her.

And try this one on for size: Luffy's own stated role as a crew member is to defeat those foes the rest of his crew cannot handle. Sanji cannot and will not hit a woman. If I was Pudding I would make sure to stay well the gently caress away from Luffy.
Since Luffy doesn't pick on people weaker than he is either and I don't think Pudding has really got a hidden strength in her Devil Fruit that turns her into the Hulk we'll probably just see the backhand heard round the world from Nami.

Although it would mean a whole, whole lot just to have a panel where Sanji smacks her breaking two of his biggest rules, don't hit a woman, and don't use your hands for anything but cooking.

In regards to Warlords, I think that logically if Luffy takes down one on his own, then Blackbeard will probably take out shanks later on, and the Supernovas might team up to take out Kaido together.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Kizaru seems like he should have a really broken fruit ability, but like Mihawk seemed to be just phoning it in. That, or Oda didn't know to what extent Haki would play at the time.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Did they just mention in passing that Big Mam was a rival to Gold Roger? Since she can basically grant herself eternal youth she could actually have been around at the time and didn't grow old like Whitebeard or Raleigh

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

anime was right posted:

traditionally when the arc ends the OP has made a new thread and asked for titles then v:shobon:v traditions yo
The OP hasn't posted since November, we are a crew without a captain.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

oddium posted:

one piece: third eye bride
I only appreciate this as a 90's kid. Nobody else would understand. Only 90's kids.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I for one, am shocked at the spoiler that a chiacgo gangster was a not nice guy.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not helping anyone's case by saying we had those in west virginia, too.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The straw hats are enemies to the WG/Marines but in such a way that they can't even expose what most of them have done to the public without making themselves look really bad. It doesn't really matter tho because although bounties might be like an alternative to "Power Levels" from DBZ, Oda's made it clear over and over again that the numbers can be pretty irrelevant most of the time.

It still makes me wonder how every time there's a new big villain we haven't heard of that has this towering bounty over the Straw Hats what they've even done to have been boosted that high if we hadn't heard much about them before. The strawhats have taken out Crocodile, Moria, and Doflamingo as well as taking out CP9 and openly declaring war against the WG, along with having Luffy's ties to Dragon & Ace semi well known and even Luffy's bounty is still pretty negligible to random mook in the New World loosely associated with an Emperor.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Brook is the King of this arc. Sneaking off and breaking the picture in a weak home-made luffy costume is amazing :allears:

It's also so loving ridiculous that when the decoys weren't working out Jimbe just calmly lays out a cup of sake and goes face to face with Big Mom.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

sharktamer posted:

Who WAS that Luffy?
Look at the laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Dressrosa had a billion things going on at once and was just too big, which created pacing problems. And then the final fight got dragged on for a while as well.

I still liked it better than Punk Hazard though.
Should have used the string powers to tie both of Luffy's hands behind his back tbh

Then he could have turned himself into a bullet and used his new Gear power to pump his legs and make himself go even faster

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 26, 2017