Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Amorphous Blob posted:

I like Boa's haughtiness and it's a shame she became just another Luffy groupie.

That's the reason she worked so well, same as Bart. Both are giant Luffy weeaboos, despite it not being what you except out of either of them given their personalities and looks,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

GodFish posted:

I always love the post arc wrap up chapters.

God, Ussop.

So was that implying CP0 was actually CP9?

Also was that shadowy Captain Jack guy on one of Kaido's ships supposed to be Axe Hand Morgan?

Ussop was great, but the fact Bart is joining them on the next adventure maybe is better.

No, Spandam was there and taking orders from Lucci, who is now CP0.

Probably not, but it looks like Doffy is being rescued or captured by someone.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

CP9/0 and Admirals vs Straw Hat Grandfleet and the Revolutionaries for the arc after Kaido is my bet. Doffy isn't done yet either, as he's about to be rescued by Kaido. So I'm guessing Law takes down Doffy to get some personal revenge, while Luffy and Zorro take down Kaido. Also Bart is tagging along for everything!

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

IceBorg posted:

Man if the whole Sanji wanted poster not showing his face in the past is now being used again but this time for very important plot reasons(maybe he's related to someone in the World Goverment or Marines that recongized him) I will be so happy.

Amazing chapter

It pretty much has to be. He's the only bounty posted to be Alive only. Something funny is up, Mr. Prince might have been a hint

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Hey I heard we have a month long break, is that true?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Shoren posted:

Given that he's the third son of the family it's not unlikely that he ran away because he wanted something different in life. Since the first son takes over the estate there wouldn't really be a reason for Sanji to stick around if he wanted to be a chef.

He's probably a celestial dragon, as mentioned tons of times before. Unlike Doffy he just ran away and didn't have his dad revoke their status. Hence why a huge bounty but only alive and why he;s getting "married."

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

drjuggalo posted:

i like my mangakas not trying to buy underage girls thank you very much

I still watch Roman Polanski films, I can't judge

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Clover wasn't a Roger pirate (or at least hasn't been confirmed as one so far). All it took was a few scholars and a single Poneglyph for someone to crack the language, so it's not without the realm of possibility for others to learn how to do it again. There may also be a DF that lets people read any language.

Roger couldn't read them but didn't need to, he had a weird ability that poo poo just talked to him without any effort on his part. He could even understand Sea Kings (like Luffy, who probably shares the entirety of this ability)

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Shoren posted:

We don't know for certain that the poneglyphs are the only source of information for the world's ancient history, but for conversation's sake I'll concede that Robin's dream essentially boils down to reading all the poneglyphs. But again, Robin is necessary because even if Luffy could "read" the poneglyphs that still doesn't mean that A) he would understand them, B) he would care what they're saying, C) he would accurately convey the information to his crew, and D) someone in his crew could understand the overarching importance of them.

Pretty much. There is a reason why Roger had the guy from Wano with him when even though he could "read" the poneglyphs. He could tell you where Raftel was by looking at them and the jist of the message that survived the Blank Century, but only Robin would care and contextualize why it's actually important.

More importantly, it going to make more narrative and thematic sense when he reaches there, reads their message, and if the story continues from there...motivates him on a personal level. Luffy just isn't being read a textbook by Robin, he gets a direct message from the past with Robin there to explain how important it was.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

anime was right posted:

what if sanji only likes her right now because she has 2 eyes in that picture and gets disgusted when he finds out she has 3

He's a fury, but a third eye goes to far?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Scarring Shanks is a drat impressive accomplishment even if you had to be dirty to do it

Shanks outright says he wasn't being careless. Blackbeard just dealt him a serious wound in the early stages of both their careers. Likewise Ace has the flashback to Blackbeard giving his blessing because he indeed took Blackbeard throwing his support behind Ace as fond personal memory he cherished. One from a man he respected and who's betrayal he took very personally.

Also Whitebeard outright warned Ace about how dangerous Teach was and even said it might be best not to pursue Blackbeard and just let it go for now because of it. The entire reason he acted like a dick to Shanks was because to do otherwise would be disrespecting his son Ace to a stranger.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I do think Kaidou (or maybe Big Mom) will be the Straw Hats' Enies Lobby moment in the New World where they really have to struggle and maybe face some set backs to bounce back from.

I think Big Mom fills more of a Enel or Arlong role in the story now. Luffy is just going to have to go all out and beat her, much like Arlong/Enel and maybe his fruit will allow him an extra advantage to a foe whose fruit is otherwise overwhelming. I mean he is going to save a crew member much like the Arlong arch.

Kaido is where the big showdown is going to happen because the dude titles openly brag about the fact, "yes I Kaido have gotten my rear end handed to me! So what? I get back up, no matter how ridiculous the situation and keep on fighting. No one can kill me, not even myself" and Luffy is going to have to digg down deep, risk his own health and get creative to defeat him permanently. (At which point I think the Reviere just happens and the number one agenda becomes "Holy poo poo, Luffy just destroyed two of Emperors of the Sea within a couple weeks, what the hell?"

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Given the setup of Luffy down for the count, I half expect the Germa 66 to be a crew of decent blokes who ended up being demonized by the WG for whatever reason and they'll take him in and treat him.

They clearly had a working relationship with the WG given the fact they were able to tell the WG to make Sanji's bounty an Alive Only one.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Sugar is permanently stuck in the body of a kid, and one (un)lucky shot means that everyone they've screwed with in the past now comes for them.

Also Doffy still was banking on tracking down Law and getting the immortality surgery, it's just everything went to poo poo and by the time we got to the actual fights everything went pear shaped for him.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Luffy is wearing a hat on top of his hat.

I can't wait to see how the anime fucks up the intro to Whole Cake Island. This is amazing

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

thats a nice big tity anime

please tell me that's not an official figure they sell

It is, welcome to the Otaku market.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Jose posted:

it took essentially the entire manga to date for luffy to be able to beat a vice admiral

He knocked out a bunch of Giants/Vice Admirals during the Paramount War

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Luffy, much like Enies Lobby, will pull new tricks out of his rear end and manage a win through both skill and just sheer determination. Kadiou will be the one Luffy has to pull all the stops, give 110 percent, and even then rely on teamwork and new allies to come up with a victory (like Thriller Park).

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

tsob posted:

On the other hand he was obviously growing tired and exasperated with doing that and had no reason to suspect stabbing the bloated balloon man wouldn't work in his favor.

He was obviously more tired than Luffy was, wheezing more and sweating. He outright admitted he was on his last legs and was getting angry at the fact Luffy and Nami were doing goofy poo poo to out maneuver his broken rear end devil fruit.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Jose posted:

lol at the translation. twat was an interesting word choice

in the context of refusing to hire women because he can't hit them like his male employees it actually fit.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Law Cheetah posted:

he says its because big mom is a loving wacko who he doesnt trust with his good sons so it was lucky he had an extra trash kid lying around

Yeah, none of the kids he actually likes are going to be risked having their soul eaten by a obese mafia queen.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 22, 2016

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

dogs named Charlie posted:

Luffy gets captured, and there in front of Big Mam and a thousand of her suboridinates...

Follow me on this one.

Challenges her to a Davy Back Fight.

Sanji, Pudding, Jinbe. It'll never happen but holy poo poo I wish it would. A male protagonist can't physically beat a female antagonist in a shonen so he's going to pull it off some crafty way.

Big Mom is a fat monster thing, so her gender won't matter.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

The power dynamic involved is pretty disturbing. Also makes me wonder about Crocodile and Robin.

That's kind of the point. Keep in mind unlike Robin, Violet was trying to make sure both Doffy didn't kill her niece or her father AND tried to get him to see her as 'part of the family' to make her less disposable emotionally to him. Likewise he thought making her his lover would ensure genuine loyalty from her.

Crocodile and Robin had a pure business relationship with her and the vast majority of his associates, it was ironically one of Croc's weaknesses. His crew didn't know of his plans and very few of them would be willing to lay down their lives to further them.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

tsob posted:

I was really hoping that during those pages Sanji would take a bite of the food and then insult the food and/or chef

Sanji doesn't waste food.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

tsob posted:

Just because he doesn't like it doesn't mean he wouldn't eat it. People eat bad things regularly in One Piece.

Sorry misread that.

I can't wait for Pudding's third eye to cause Sanji to completely dump her

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

They're not beating Big Mom with half their crew not even present.

It's totally happening because the whole theme of this arc is Big Mom is a coward who hides behind allies and political connections because at this point if she had what it took to be Pirate King, she could have done it already with what family she has and fighting ability. Luffy having all his friends and allies with him concedes that Big Mom's way of doing poo poo is the correct way

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

I don't think that was ever the theme. As Luffy pointed out back in Arlong Park, his crew can do things he can't; he needs them.

The thing though is, she's hiding behind her crew right now. Luffy needs his friends and crewmates, he freely admits that. But when someone needs to be knocked out, he does that because it's his job as Captain.

The inability to trust and rely on Crew or friendship is going to be what defeats Kadio. He's going to hulk out in the end game and try to beat Luffy single handily while Law and a bunch of his other allies team up with him and beat the poo poo out of him. He retains his title as world's strongest monster but Luffy gets closer to the one he actually wants.

anime was right posted:

since oda loves weird chapter things, what do you think chapter 1000 will be?

roger having the gum gum fruit?

luffy's mom?

shanks dies?

luffy becomes a yonko?

900 will be Big Mom's defeat or after her defeat. Luffy becomes a Yonko at the big hundred wrap off.

1000 will be Akainu makes his move, Reverie happens and a big setting changing announcement happens there, or the Straw Hats learn where the last piece of the Road Polygraph is hidden after obtaining the other 3. Maybe just a scrub celebration that Luffy defeated Kaido and technically the Yonko system is completely gone, and the race for the throne of Pirate King has actually begun but I doubt it.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 25, 2016

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
We still have to find what's going on with Jinbei and Ceasar.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Luffy is one of the few people (if not the only person) in the world not sexually attracted to Hancock. Them hooking up would make no sense.

That's how romance in fiction works though. Man/woman overlooks the superficial quailties of the hot badguy/gal and eventually warms up to them

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Gyges posted:

Actually now that we know what her fruit power is, she could be remembering back to when she went against Big Mom. The flashback is triggered by another lady telling her to do as Big Mom wants, which segues into Big Mom telling Pudding to simply do as she is told and referring to Pudding as a little doll. Remember that Lola asks everyone to marry her, but we recently found out that she ran away from a marriage. Also Lola remembers her mom loving her and thinks that she'd help the Strawhats if they ever met. Meanwhile Big Mom hates Lola and wants to know where she is so that she can send an assassin.

Big Mom and Lola were very close and Big Mom arranged a marriage for Lola. Pudding was jealous/conniving/just plain evil enough to use her powers to change that all up. Lola thinks she wanted to find her own man, despite proposing to every single man she ever meets later on. Meanwhile Big Mom seems to have an unreasonable amount of anger directed towards Lola,who still remembers her loving mother.

Pudding Aizend this whole situation.

Yeah the twist is Pudding is even more evil rear end in a top hat than Big Mom

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

As someone who worked in a movie theater when one of the newer DBZ movies was in theaters, don't do it, the smell isn't worth it.

I went and like most of the people who went were just hipsters, parents with kids, and nostalgic nerds in their thirties. I think this is one of those things were your state of mind determines things man

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Asuron posted:

Yeah there's also this. This arc is wrapping up soon by Odas own admission so we get to Reverie and Wano this year. If you think an event like beating an Emperor is happening when Odas going about this massive setup just to prepare for beating Kaidou, i'm sorry I dont think you know what you're talking about. It's not about Luffys strength, it's about where the narrative is heading and right now the narrative is being setup so that Luffys actions on this island are going to have Big Mom deadset on chasing him across the New World and decimating any allies (this is where the Fishman island prophecy comes in) for assisting him in retaliation for his actions. He's going to strike some sort of huge blow here no doubt, but this is not where he beats her. This is where he enrages the crap outta her. Thats why the explosive box is being setup the way it is.

Luffy is going to beat the poo poo out of Big Mom here, not defeat her. He's going to defeat Kaidou first

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

JahRoo posted:

Started reading OP for the first time last month and just finished catching up today -- really blown I didn't start reading sooner cause it was pretty consistently great the whole time.

Also my favorite scene so far was easily the docking scene in thriller bark.

My favorite gag as well.

Robin saying she loved the crew and her whole flashback was best single thing though. Her pathos elevated CP9 into villains you wanted loving dead

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

do we even know what the bounties are for the emperors? luffy's probably in line with them

Luffy's is the lowest no doubt but yeah their probably in the single digit billions or very low double digits. This is his last until he takes on the WG

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

frajaq posted:

Luffy has the support of the Big News Media behind him now, how can he possibly lose?

I blame Konohagakure bots

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
The story is wrapping up and any new Warlord has to be introduced through the story...and they're small fries now. Warlords are done

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

JahRoo posted:

Yeah I agree, the only times we hear about people turning other pirates in to the marines, it's in return for a spot on the warlords rather than the bounty.

Zoro was a bounty hunter in East Blue and had fellow bounty hunter friends.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

It’s significant because all of them, even little Momonosuke, likely had front-row seats to important historical poo poo our cast are unfamiliar with, and can probably contextualise this conflict and the metaplot in some interesting ways. For one thing, when did Gol D. Roger die?

It turned out Momonsuke wasn't lying when he meet Gol D Roger

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Star Platinum posted:

People were speculating the same about Whole Cake, and that was supposed to be a quick hit and run. We're gonna be in Wano for a good while and I'm certainly not in any great hurry to leave.

We're almost halfway done now. This is going to be the catalyst before the final build up and fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

drjuggalo posted:

id only go as far as a frog? no. hippo shirt. I don't want people beating me up in public and throwing me out of bars like luffy and zoro

Normal Z and mills wear this poo poo not, it's not like anime figurines. We've just gotten old man.