Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
P.much, think about it in every anime parents die but the cool grandparent is still alive they must be the strongest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Looks like that fox lady Chopper and crew encounter was one of the Minkmen of Zou. Wonder what makes them different than Zoan fruit users.

What makes a fishman different than a fish that ate a human human fruit?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Caesar clown is there to backtalk vegapunk when they get to him and call out all his bullshit. also to be the usopp to the second crew/chopper's foil.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ichigo has never had any real time to mature, or even have a personality anymore.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Advice posted:

This is one of the reasons I support the distinction. It would, at the very least, be awkward in English to use any other word in that situation. No, "friend" doesn't work. Because Arlong doesn't consider Nami a friend. She's someone who works for him. No, "crewmate" doesn't work, (in this exact situation and almost no others) because Nami is undeniably a member of the Arlong pirates. So Luffy saying, "she's MY crewmate!" makes him sound like an idiot.

this is complete bull as that was the whole point, arlong says she's in his crew but luffy says no she's actually in my crew because i said so and she never said she was out to my face. It's the same reason he chased robin to the gates of the marine HQ once luffy says you're in the crew nothing you do short of explicitly telling him to his face gets you out and hell even then it's kindof a 50/50 on if he belives you, also he actually is an idiot.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
maybe the world government supresses the news about devil fruits also east blue is way the gently caress out in BFE and is considered the weakest ocean hell don kreig was the strongest guy there and he didn't have a fruit power they just weren't all that common. Also i assume it's more like if there's a same fruit within a small radius then it transfers and if not then it goes back to the tree (Which i'm guessing is treasure tree lilith)

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Luffy knows the names he just can't be bothered untill the dumb bear can't figure it out

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

LostRook posted:

Personally, I think the juxtaposition of Blackbeard and Luffy as Fate versus Free Will is more interesting than Luffy fights Marines.

yes that's why luffy beats blackbeard and becomes the pirate king finds out whatever is on raftel and the goes back as the pirate king and we have the reverie. i don't think it chepens blackbeard for him to be the final pirate luffy faces even if there's still the problem of the WG to deal with.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

For my part, I think Blackbeard feels like a way more engaging final opponent than Akainu. Akainu is probably the most horrible person in the series, but ultimately he's just a part of the system; Blackbeard is an independent figure who's been running counter to Luffy for a long time. That said, I really think Luffy is going to defeat him and become the pirate king prior to taking down the World Government - it really feels like the story is heading in that direction. I used to absolutely think Akainu was going to be the final boss, but now that we know that he's not 100% loyal to the Celestial Dragons and their world order, I think someone else related to the government will take that spot.

But that's the thing the final fight in this instance wouldn't just be against Akainu it would be against the system itself.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
or he can see an act normally even while inside his own head. since he was walking while they were talking

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I also love how Krieg's fleet came back all mangled from trying to get into the Grand Line and being stomped on by Mihawk, one of the strongest Shichibukai. It really set up how dangerous feeling the Grand Line and especially the Shichibukai were relative to East Blue, which also made Luffy challenging and surpassing Crocodile that much more impossible feeling at the time.

There's kind of a distinctly different feeling to early One Piece I miss in contemporary One Piece. It's kind of like the difference between Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z with the combat (ie martial arts versus pew pew power levels and dust clouds) and sense of adventure despite technically being the same series.

Before the Gears and Timeskip, Luffy had to get by a lot more by the skin of his teeth and determination or lucky breaks (ie being rubber vs Enel) to go further along, which made everything seem so desperate and risky versus outright demolishing opponents.

yeah but keeping that up the whole way would feel really forced. eventually luffy has to step into his own and bethe pirate king

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Franky's dream is to have a ship that he designed become the pirate king's ship there's no way much if any of it was based on pluton

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kild posted:

actually thats naruto

Disagree

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
naruto was Ok whenever sauske was gone. but kishimoto's real problem is that he had a bad case of dragonballZ syndrome where everything has to keep escalating in danger and power only instead of simple beams he decided to do a series with a lot of complex abilities.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

bschultz27 posted:

Ho ho, look again, buddy. I assumed this was the case until I actually watched what's available on Netflix , and "godlike" isn't too far off the mark. Personal taste is personal taste, but comparing it to Naruto and Bleach made my feelings hurt.

i mean in a way it's not wrong but HunterXHunter is just a better version of a typical anime show. HunterXHunter hits all the usual shounen tropes but it does fun things with them.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pureauthor posted:

Is it just me or has Luffy been demonstrating more genuine empathy of late?

Also, I hope we get a flashback to Lord Oden and how he died.

luffy is always empethetic he usually just hides it under manly understanding, here he's with friends so he's more relaxed.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kild posted:

Buggy D Clown.

Sorry buggy can't be a D. D's are the enemy of the gods and buggy is a god of pirates.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

Like a giant elephant couldn't also be a rock mesa. Please, don't look down on dreams.

with the right devil fruit a rock mesa could be an elephant, but i won't wish bad things on funkfreed

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Julias posted:

Turns out One Piece is one piece of gold. :v:

yeah but because it's famous gold it's worth like trillions of berries

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Jinbei is already part of the crew, luffy asked him and he said ok i just got poo poo to take care of first.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
the world nobles were able to wrest power away from the dude who ruled the world at the time.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think he gave up the arm so mihawk would quit bugging him for fights.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

Also whose loving bright idea was it to let Luffy cook?

theoretically luffy has lived alone on an island multiple times in his life. he should be able to just like char some meat acceptably.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
If carrot got a devils fruit i don't think Oda could pass up the chance to give her the bunny bunny fruit.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
obviously he needs to get seastone bb's and coat them in something that would dissolve halfway through a logia.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fowl posted:

I figure there must be some reason she can't

I'm pretty sure it's gonna be she can only steal the life force out of someone who's afraid of her.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

JosephWongKS posted:

"Sugar" is an ingredient, not a dessert.

in this part of the sea it could be a desert.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sinners Sandwich posted:

So what the hell do you think was up with Jinbei in this chapter? The honorable yakuza fishman got too freaked out over giving up an arm to join the straw hats? No way

jinbe didn't get freaked out so he was tossed in a dungeon and propaganda was put in the newspaper.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

brainSnakes posted:

I like the idea of Pedro being a mole because that's an intense surprise twist, but there was a pretty ominous panel of some smiley face flowers in the foreground watching Brook and Pedro be snoops, so my vote goes to the fiendish foliage for... gently caress i can't think of an F word for spy. drat it.

Ok, since i'm here making dumb One Piece posts about this kickin' rad story arc, here's my bet.

Pekoms isn't dead, he got eaten by a shark after hiding in his invincible shell. he's going to pull a Yosaku and jump out of the ocean wearing that shark, and he's probably gonna do something badass with the moment like sucker punch Capone Bege.

Shark is going to try to eat him realise he isn't a sweet and spit him out on the beach because these sharks have adapted to solely eat sweets

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
One piece is all of rogers gold melted down into a huge gold ball and luffy has to use it to fight Super god enel after he returns from the moon

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I also can't remember much of skypiea's characters there's the fat monk dude enel and gan fall but other than that everyone is a blur, the different fishmen looked cool at least.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Advice posted:

My favorite part was when characters were doing things we had never seen before, like attacking logias, and the characters were even remarking how unusual their actions were, and people in this very thread were arguing that no, they just REALLY REALLY wanted to hit the logias, because guys, One Piece has always been about willpower! Luffy just has to WANT it enough!

Or the guy who said haki was the new nakama, just the word willpower untranslated, and it was akin to Zoro swinging a sword, that he was WILLING his desire into action.

I mean it seems to me like Haki is basically chi generated by determination and willpower and yeah it makes sense that you can run out because exerting your willpower and determination is exausting

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm still going with my theory that devil fruits are the fruits of the treasure tree lilith and were proliferated by D as part of his war against the celestials

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Crazyeyes posted:

Cracker has stupid powers even by OP standards. A loving "Cracker-man"? Really, Oda?

I mean I get that we're establishing a theme here with the food thing, but come on.

he's a cookie man.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
D was explicitly stated as the will to go against the celestial dragons, it is the devil to the celestial dragon's god

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

anime was right posted:

in dbz, the magic is trash garbage. its just like "oh yeah well my number is higher" fsr. theres no sense or logic to it. people just do things. it developed at a natural pace which is why too few people call foul, but dbz stupid magic makes zero goddamn sense given the world. but at the same time. dbz however, was also basically being written chapter to chapter and was pretty ahead of its time in terms of Fightmagic Punchcomic so it kinda gets a slide.

give me an example cause dbz ki is basically just an outward extension of punchpower and the numbers never really mater.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Advice posted:

I don't get what's so difficult to get about this. You guys are all asking the same question. It's

named and quantified because it's, say it with me, not willpower. I know that's the word, but it's pretty clearly, by application, a measurable magic psychic armor you put on stuff. It's just what Oda calls it. It's why, when Rayleigh tells Luffy about it, he says "Hey there's this stuff called haki" and Luffy doesn't say, "Yeah, willpower, I've been using that all my life!".

Except the source of hakai pretty clearly is willpower it's not the exact same thing but there's a correlation which we saw from usopp's acquiring of observation hakai due to his determination to hit sugar there is a reason it's named the way it is (oda typically names things for a reason)

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
yeah luffy probably isn't all that hurt cause he's made of rubber but he was definitely talking about emotional pain

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

verbal enema posted:

who knows maybe sanji has a tiny shred of big mom's vivi card on him which is why she does what she did/is doing

i mean poo poo the homies and i think? the buried husband of big mom said all that poo poo cuz of the the vivre card

the vivre card isn't magic(other than burning when someone's dying and pointing their location) it's a symbol of connection to big mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Crazyeyes posted:

I think the implication is vivre cards contain part of the person's soul, so the homies can't fight it.

Pretty sure it's just that having a vivre card makes you basically a VIP The homies were probably given a standing order to obey anyone with a card (because it would mostly only be one of her kids that had them)