Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Daeno posted:

Did anyone else get Discworld vibes from the elelphant that holds up Zou?

I seem to vaguely recall someone mentioning that the elephant had been referenced in past manga chapters, but I find the timing curious with Pratchett passing away so recently...maybe Oda was a fan?

I find it funny that nobody has mentioned this but:

象 - Kanji for Elephant
Pronounciation? Zou.

It was set up all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Nanomachine Conversation starts here. (Need Archives, obv).

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Baal posted:

Perona is cute and one of my fav OP chars

:agreed:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Any bets on the first Yonkou getting defeated? Big Mam or Kaidou? I feel like it'll be in this order: Big Mam, Kaidou, Shanks, then finally Blackbeard before moving on to Raftel/One Piece and the ultimate conflict at Marineford v2.0/Mariejois.

I'm gonna be weird and actually say that I think that they will both be fought in the same arc (not necessarily the crews, but the big guys themselves). Don't know why, but that's the sort of feeling I have been getting lately. It would be pretty cool if we got to see Luffy fight multiple people at once, though!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we were in Dressrosa for two years, or nearly that long. And a good chunk of that time was spent with only five Strawhats doing stuff, because the arc was already so bloated that we needed half the crew to gently caress off and start the next arc. I mean, when it's all said and done Dressrosa has enough good moments to be a good arc, but two years drags a bit with parts like Pica running away.

It was longer than 2 years because this is when Oda started taking breaks every 3 weeks or so...So it was closer to 2 1/2 - 3 years, tbh. It was the first Manga arc that felt like it had deliberate filler in it, and while I thinked it worked out as a whole, it definitely could have used an editor to condense it, especially the last 15 chapters or so.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shoren posted:

I wouldn't exactly call it filler but the arc definitely needed pruning. We're going to see the various gladiators down the line so this arc was necessary to set them up (though we're probably going to forget all is their abilities sans Bart, maybe). The one thing that I think really needed to be cut out was the dumb countdown to Luffy recovering Gear Fourth.

There were lots of like things, like the guy with the jake-jake fruit who was working for Douflamingo and led Luffy into the water trap. That was pointless and stupid, and a waste of a cool ability.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
All of the animations/transformations in modern One Piece Anime are bad. Just look at the Zoro vs Pica "Fight", for example. Toei just doesn't care about putting effort into it anymore.

Also, I would like to point out how dumb and garish all of the colors have been throughout Dressrosa. Some of it is on Oda, like Green Hair Bart, Pink Hair Rebecca, but all of the colors on the family are UGLY, and for some reason, let's change Dolfy's cool Blue shades for red ones.

Tl;Dr: One Piece Anime character design sucks.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

On the bright side, Doffy got his old pre-timeskip clothes/color scheme in a brief flashback with him first hearing about Luffy defeating Crocodile in the latest anime episode. I was surprised.

That's good...but didn't he still have the Dressrosa design, including red shades, during the Law Flashback?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Work Friend Keven posted:

Oh I just realized Capone ate the Dave Dave no mi, becoming a Dave man.

That movie wasn't funny.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Advice posted:

I dunno if Oda like flipped a switch or something, but this is the Sanji we've all wanted for like five years. Tough and reliable, he knows they're likely outmatched and he doesn't know how much of Big Mom's crew is here, so he calmly has a standing sitdown with Pekoms and Capone. He manages to remain intimidating, he doesn't show fear, he acts like we would expect the third in command of an Emperor's crew to act. Hell, like the third in command of the Pirate King. His flirty antics were actually clever instead of being cringeworthy. The Minks greet by rubbing their faces against each other, so he does this to the cute girl ones like a loving furry, but refuses the advances of the male ones. It's not sexual to them, but he freaks out. Then he tries to "greet" Nami and gets hit. This is classic Sanji, and it's an actual joke with a setup and a payoff.

Looking forward to this Sanji Year or whatever, Oda apparently remembered how to write him.

This has honestly been my favorite chapter since Dressrosa. It's so good. Great pacing, too.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shoren posted:

I don't think it was planned out anymore than saying he was a noble at birth, ran away to be a chef, and ended up a pirate. Stuff like his family history, connection to Big Mom, that kinda stuff wasn't thought out until now.

On another note, what would happen if someone with a devil fruit that could increase their size started to grow inside Capone? If he's a castle man, is his body stone and can be repaired if damaged? Or is it more like there's a separate dimension inside him that his castle occupies and his body is otherwise normal?

I think it's just like how Wapol worked with his fruit. Body follows convenient cartoon laws, but it's pretty much made up on the spot.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Some fan-art of Kaidou vs Shanks and Luffy I found:

Sorry about the crappy watermark. :shrug: Still, definitely looking forward to seeing Kaidou in action. The second pic does bring an interesting point up: what if the "tattoo" is actually just a permanent intricate Haki pattern kind of like Luffy's flames design-looking "tattoo" in Gear Fourth?

Also, didn't think of this before, but what if Bartolomeo's Barrier ability a veiled reference to breaking the fourth wall? He's pretty much the every-man One Piece fan, after all. :aaaaa:

Bonus:

Gear Fourth animated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpzGTSx_1zk

Rhino Schneider: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li7bPPgLTqk

I still think it came off as feeling more intense/lightning-fast in the manga especially with Rhino Schneider, but oh well. :shrug:

Obviously, the fighting should be much faster paced. The Whole point before his transformation was that Luffy's big attacks were too slow, whereas here they are supposedly "fast" enough to catch Dolfy off guard, but it doesn't come across in animation well. Another problem is that Luffy should be mush more kinetic, like a freaking super ball bouncing, not just lightly bopping up and down. On to of that, the arm attack in the air just did a clever bait and switch in the manga, where in the anime it stetches like miles, which vvery much did not seem like a thing it could do in the manga. And, as others have said, the transformation and arm attack sequences don't look right, because they are too "fleshy", looking like something out of Akira.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It's a trope in Kabuki theater for the hero/protagonist to speak in an absurdly drawn-out, emphatic, and overly dramatic tone as well as exaggerated physical features like bouncing on one foot, fierce face and hand gestures, face paint, etc. This is in stark contrast to the minimalism of Noh theater. :eng101:

Kumadori of CP9 is a much, much straighter and more direct example of Kabuki tropes.

On that same note, No-Face in Spirited Away is at least a partial physical reference to Noh theater tropes (masks, quiet speech, subtle movements, etc).

Noh theater? That's my favorite!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Angry Lobster posted:

A Garfield joke in One Piece? Wow.

I also read the meows on that page in the meow-mix theme song...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

...What are you even writing here? Are those actual fan translations?

The first one was Jesus Burgess.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

F. Lobot posted:

I subscribed to Weekly Shonen Jump and it's really hard to not read early scanlations but I regret it every time. The translations are so much worse.

:same:

Though I don't feel guilty about reading the scanlations since I actually do pay for the service, so there is that.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Asimo posted:

Between One Piece, My Hero Academia, and Onepunch Man there's basically no reason not to just get a Jump subscription. It's like what, $15 a year? All you have to do is wait a few days and you get professional translation that don't have lovely scans and cleanup jobs.

There's also the fact that you get those Yu-Gi-Oh! Jump Promos in the mail. The Yu-Gi-Oh! secondary market is so full of sheep that it's usually easy enough to just sell those cards and make back the price you paid for subscription...sometimes more, if the card printed sees meta play (There was a short time where Frightfur Tiger was $75 :signings: )

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Yeah, but that was just a cover (along with his hero persona) for his real plans as the head of Baroque Works. Crocodile was nowhere near generic and was totally awesome. This GOLD villain seems... generic.

It wasn't so much a cover as a means to make a lot of cash :v: dude's smart, yo.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Glad there was a Poneglyph. Also, Raizou did not dissapoint - though his weird proportions and design, especially on the last page male me think of Samurai Pizza Cats.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kild posted:

Naruto was basically poo poo after the timeskip which is about the same amount of chapters. Plus it didn't start getting bad until the middle of HM.

There was like a full year of chapters between the end of Soul Society and Orihime being kidnapped. The only relevant thing was some training for ichigo and The Bald guy getting his Bankai. (and I guess the reveal about Ichigo's Dad, but I don't like how they handled it.)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

More character designs from One Piece GOLD, this time the Rogues Gallery:

Still looks generic and boring even if the movie is to be written by Oda himself. :sigh:

I'd rather have this guy as the villain, honestly.

Mr Tanaka looks cool, at least :shobon:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
That's some good plot...

And I mean the good kind!

I can't wait for a better translation, because

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AshB posted:

So if Zou has one, Big Mom has one, and Kaidou has one, where do you think the fourth one is? I'm sure Blackbeard will find it before or at the same time as the Straw Hats.

It's in your heart (Or maybe the joke is that they can use Triangulation and not even need the fourth one :mmmhmm:)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AshB posted:

The mod of the One Piece subreddit commented that a proper translation would've made it clear the shogun and Kaidou are two different people.

This is why I wait until good translations come out before making deductions/coming to conclusions.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Kaido is so weird when they introduced him as suicidal, I can't really see him doing Any of the things he's done

I never took it at face value as the guy being suicidal. I always just saw it as him doing it "for fun", getting a thrill from it, because he knows it won't actually kill him.
Otherwise he could easily just drown himself :shrug:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Captain Invictus posted:

Are you the guy who came up with all those super depressing realistic ends for all the characters.

Like Franky dying while trying to turn himself into a cyborg via tetanus and massive infection

He's not the guy. Trying to find these posts btw.

Captain Invictus posted:

I thought Franky died of massive amounts of tetanus and infection

ATP_Power posted:

Type two diabetes, too much cola is a terrible thing.

Bisse posted:

Brain infection from too much hairspray.

Krampus Grewcock posted:

I thought it was breast cancer due to radiation from his nipple lights.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jack O'Lantern. Nothing to it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fat_Cow posted:

So the official translation of 818 is out. The Boiled alive thing is pretty debunked now as it stands

This still doesn't clarify if the Shogun of Wano is working with Kaido or is Kaido :tizzy: (I think they are separate people)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Sorry, spoilers above were fake. :(

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
Dunked On!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

(Spoilers)

Jack is back at Zou. :getin:

Called it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pureauthor posted:

If the goal is to defend Zunisha I hope we actually get a battle aboard a ship. The last one was aaallll the way back during the Baratie arc, or the Puffing Tom if we're being generous with definitions.

(no, Thriller Bark does not count)

But, but Hody Jones and Throwing Devil Fruit User :downs:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
One Piece.

One Peace.

Won Peace.

Huh, huh?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Manatee Cannon posted:

I want to believe in the davy back fight

I'm still betting there will be at least 1 callback before the end of the Manga.

Also. I'm of the opinion that a Davy Fight Back with a Yonkou would be amazing.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

gnome7 posted:

The Toei of 15 years ago cared a lot more about the ratings One Piece held than the Toei of today does. Back then, it wasn't a sure thing and needed all the support it could get. Now it is a very sure thing, and they have no desire to improve it when people watch this poo poo anyway.

Exactly. And remember, the show exists to sell merchandise, which sells like hotcakes over there.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Did it ever occur to you guys that Loguetown might be...a pun?!

R and L being the same character in Japanese allows for you to do that, you know.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Luceid posted:

holy poo poo the anime is bad. i knew y'all weren't kidding but goddamn its really bad

How many things are wrong with this gif that I stumbled upon?

AshB posted:

I don't think we're even close to One Piece's endgame. At a minimum, we have a Big Mom arc, Kaidou arc, Raftel Arc, and certainly a post-Raftel arc. These are all likely multi-part arcs like how the Doflamingo arc covered all of Punk Hazard and all of Dressrosa. Nevermind all the other mysteries and milestones that haven't been addressed and probably wouldn't be addressed in some of those arcs.

Elbaf.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nice.

Gyges posted:

Gonna need to at least lose a couple ribs and add a few pounds of silicone to pull Robin off.

Not Nice.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Sorry for double-posting, but here's some spoilers in case you can't wait for the new chapter to drop in a few hours:

Jack and his crew get owned.

Scratchman Apoo makes his appearance vis-a-vis a Den Den Mushi.

I can't make out what's going on with the shoddy quality of scans, but it looks like Kaidou is potentially backstabbing Jack through Apoo for some inexplicable reason. Maybe for failing to do his job of rescuing Doffy? Not entirely sure on this one.

:f5:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
A lot of evidence seems to be pointing towards the destruction of Mariejois. (Destruction of Fisherman Island, Sanji's Dream of All Blue, setting up a big metting there, the inevitable confrontation between the Strawhats and the World Government, etc.), which makes me think One Piece makes the Ocean "One Piece", and going along with the theme of following your dreams and Luffy and the crew "liberating" people and countries from the shackles of oppressors time and time again seem to be leading to a world where people can follow their dreams in peace, leading to One Worldwide Peace.

And there's my crazy theory.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Turns out One Piece is one piece of gold. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
We like Jinbei because he's a cool character with a cool design and many cool powers. It would also be nice to have a non-human (Chopper excluded) crew member, and Jinbei could add a lot of dynamic to water fights. I also think he's pretty funny as a not-so-straight straight man.