Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Flubby posted:

The Okama thing never seemed offensive to me. At least I never felt it was coming from a place of hatred. Especially with Bon Clay and Ivankov being portrayed as awesome people and Luffy's friends. I know dick about Japanese culture though, so I don't know if it's at all comparable to homophobia or transphobia. Maybe being used as comedy is offensive and it's coming from a place of ignorance from Oda? I don't know, but not hateful imo.

With the exception of Bon Clay, Ivankov and scissor person i forget the name of, almost every single time an okama is on screen the joke is they're ugly, weird and think they're cute girls!!!!. "Ew gay people" is the constant punchline.
it's not great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

JahRoo posted:

yeah doesn't big mom have tea parties all the time, that could just be a different one

It is .iirc the one mentioned on fishman island was for 3 days from the end of it but they spend a week waiting around one of the other islands.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

tsob posted:

Putting aside how they're animated, the extra limbs appearing is probably similar to how Luffy seems to have dozens of limbs at once during his normal Gomu Gomu no Machine Gun or Storm attacks. Or how Zoro has three limbs and heads when doing his Asura stance. It's just dramatic shorthand for lots of simultaneous attacks.

Usually luffy's rapid fire attacks look like that while in motion and not shown as having multiple arms spend 10 seconds appearing during the wind up, then firing them off like rocket launchers

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

It feels like they never spend pagetime on the Sunny much anymore, like islands take way longer now and beyond the art woman fight I can't think of the Sunny really being in involved in much of anything.

Yeah it's mostly just minor set dressing between arcs, where as it was a constant buidl up with Merry barely making it anywhere. Any time since they entered the grand line, the Merry was constantly under repairs or had doubts that it could make x trip or needed to get major goofy overhauls. Beyond Jora the only big thing I can think of was getting the bubble coating, but it wasn't on the same level as any of Merry's stuff.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Sanji's cake will send Big Mom into a sugar coma for approximately long as the story needs so the straw hats can go to wano

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Shoren posted:

Katakuri has been using Awakening for most of the fight. He's been making those donuts appear out of thin air to punch Luffy.

also he turned the floor & walls into mochi several times

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

JahRoo posted:

Yes i understand thats how kidnapping works, it does not make her a useful person. If she's got a broke rear end power that can be easily abused by the enemy, and can't properly protect herself to avoid that situation, then she's a liability.

e: Like I understand that she didn't want or try to be kidnapped by and help the straw hats, but her presence in the arc so far has been primarily an inconvenience to the rest of her family. It makes you wonder why she's one of the first people they encounter, when her power poses such a huge threat to the rest of the family. You'd think they would have her in a more secure location using her power to move family members around the island for surveillance instead.

Every time she's been retrieved she has immediately helped the family again: stopped caesar's escape, attacked the sunny, overheard & relayed the meetup plan

hopping over to wherever they stored the anti-germa bullets they were going to use for the wedding then handing them back seems exactly something she could do with ease

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

If the next chapter switches the focus over to Zoro in Wano I am going to laugh so hard

it'll be reverie for 3 chapters that ends with big news morgans slamming the latest big news on the table: straw hat luffy humiliates big mom and escapes

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Begemot posted:

Li'l Katakuri and Brulee are adorable :3:

It's absolutely not gonna happen, but based on the song and how ominous Big Mom looked, I half expect her to suck up the souls of everyone in the whole archipelago. Only Katakuri and Brulee survive, because they're in the mirror world.

everyone except jinbei, you mean

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

EimiYoshikawa posted:

If you think about it, that was probably Pudding's first kiss. The Charlottes probably killed every other groom after 'you may kiss the bride' but before it happened, just like was planned for Sanji.

Probably Pudding's first kiss but also probably her first wedding in general
I'm thinking the Germa assassination plan was a special occasion since they're not really trustworthy and she REALLY wanted their science, considering Praline & Chiffon were happily married to their very alive husbands.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

drjuggalo posted:

i was re-reading zou and forgot that nekomamushi is off looking for marco, i wonder if that comes up before wano kicks off

also luffy is gonna open the borders of wano and theres gonna be a lot of funny real life comparisons when it happens (on other places of the internet)

They usually have some downtime between arcs where we check in with the rest of the world. I'm guessing we'll see parts of the Weevil/Marco/Zou meet up starting up and how that shakes out will be left for after wano.

Speaking of Weevil I think the first & last time we saw him was chapter 802. happy 100th chapter anniversary, weevil

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Bisse posted:

Think of this way, this manga is moving closer to a story manga than a fighting manga over time and it is simply better for it.

I think it's been doing that since the end of Enes Lobby. I remember re-reading the series and realizing how few actual fights happened in Thriller Bark, with the big showcase fight being the team up against Oars. Other fights were either brief (chopper & robin vs hogback, sanji vs absalom) or fake out (Nami). Sabondy had no real fights, just general throw downs and big events happening before the disaster hit.
And after that it's usually only Luffy who gets fights with a real focus. x vs y "fights" (zoro vs monet or most of the dressrosa confrontations) are typically just brief confrontations presented on about the same level as, say, Brooke zapping Jora, or Carrot trouncing a bunch of ships during their escape. Totland in particular had very few actual fights and more...cool events, i guess? Carrot I mentioned, Brooke's moments had no actual on screen fight, the whole wedding situation wasn't REALLY a fight as it was total chaos, Pedro fought Tamago but that was more brief set up for his bombs, Nami's thunder nuke.

That said even with the criteria being "do something super cool" rather than "do a fight" Robin still gets the short end

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Bisse posted:

it means we get less 1v1 fights and more characters/intrigues/story progression

like "how will the vinsmokes and sanji interact now that he saved them but they mostly still kind hate each other" is way more interesting than "will zoro be able to beat X dude". It is still a big fight but the focus is more on character interactions than it used to be. I don't think we'll ever get another instance of the crew needing to 1v1 a bunch of opponents with one chapter per 1v1.

Also this leads to way more opportunities for crew members to do awesome poo poo without having to actually fight. Like Jinbei staring down Big Mom so that Brook could break the picture with stealth, Nami stole a piece of a warlord's soul and never even had to fight for it, and Sanji saved the crew with cooking. Chopper, uh, can go gently caress himself I guess?

Chopper's biggest moment this arc was capturing Brulee & Train dude while dealing with all the animal soldiers like Rudolf with the help of carrot

...maybe in wano, chopper.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ryaomon posted:

Man I love Oda but he really does introduce way too many characters because I didn't remember that guy at all.

Remember all of the underworld kings coming to the wedding this last arc? Name any of them offhand besides Morgans and Stussy.

In fairness we'd probably remember them more if they showed up after the wedding. After the cake plateau falls not a single one of them other than Morgans & Stussy are seen again. I don't think they're in a single panel or otherwise mentioned.

Honestly for the best. I mean when you have Stussy & Morgans, why even bother with the rest.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Chopper's plan resulted in them capturing Brulee, an integral part of the arc!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

But does anyone in the World Government even know about Brook's fight with Big Mom or that Nami has Zeus now?

are you doubting the ability of big news morgans to get big news

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I love 4kids theorycrafting because imagine what else they would have cut out entirely? Sure the "bellmare is in a dungeon forever" rewrites are always fun to think about but consider:
-human auction house & related slavery angles are either cut entirely with the remainder they cant cut reworked into being a "show" .
-the celestial dragon luffy punches is punched because he's just dancing in the aisle being annoying, since his shooting stuff would be removed entirely
-skipping Impel Down. like all of it. not even mentioned.
-instead of falling from the sky, Luffy is shown just running into marineford off screen from an amazon lily ship
-crocodile & iva are just there, dont worry about it
-all of whitebeard's battle damage skipped out, causing them to reuse footage of him standing around forever, constantly
-ace's death scenes cut, probably require a "oh no he's captured forever!!" rewrite

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Arist posted:

They finished Alabasta.

i think they were an episode or two away from Jaya before Funimation took over

There were some games with jaya & skypeia characters that got their dub treatment, though.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Was she trying to make an alliance with Kaidou? It sounded more like a case of IM GONNA KILL HIM vs NO IM GONNA KILL HIM shout off :shrug:

Re-reading it, yeah it's not an alliance. (yet). Big Mom is basically saying "yeah i'm coming there to kill straw hat, let me have this you owe me" and "i'm coming there anyway to kill him so let's play nice.........just like the old days"

it will be a three way brawl between big mom, kaido & luffy :allears:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

anyone who tries to attack Vivi is gonna get their poo poo pushed in

remember, she just got the blessing of a celestial dragon to go nuts and start busting heads :unsmigghh:

underrated vivi moment: she's captured & brought to crocodile and immediately throws a peacock slasher into his head

i mean he turned his head into sand, but, you know, sitll

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

all the double and triple techs everyone uses against oars rules

the Oars fight is probably my favorite in the series because of the big team work aspect

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

It's a good cosplay but you need to be on stilts to properly capture Katakuri's essence

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I'll accept this only if they're the same Mooniniites from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

"On the Moon, we all have 12 Devil Fruits. And our devil fruits allow us to play guitar perfectly every time without even trying"

Also, since the feedback to my Katakuri was so positive, I thought I'd share a few more pics of the finished product. My knee pads messed up so I had to build a last minute solution, and my makeup for my face scars ended up not working out, but overall I'm pleased with how the whole mess turned out

Bonus Big Mom and Pudding

Looks great! I like you even made sure to include the dogteeth

surprised the pudding cosplayer got to bring in a fake gun without any immediate fake-gun-colors attached

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

AkumaHokoru posted:

I wonder if the color scans were waiting for the tottoland arc to finish before they resumed coloring/went back to fill in the holes while waiting for it to finish and are likely working on it now.

with how absurdly colorful that entire arc is i'd put it off for as long as possible

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Duh, of course there’s an official coloring because there’s an anime :downs:

there's also color spreads and volume covers

you would be surprised at just how...vibrant...some characters are.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

Holy poo poo what a chapter. And setting up all of Wano like a kabuki play is genius.

If this was a slow opening acts 2-4 are going to be lightning fast

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Is sleeping not considered as "knocked out" or did I miss/forget some justification about it somewhere

Sugar's powers did not dispell at any point in the past decade or so that Doflamingo ruled Dressrosa

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I am pretty sure Pudding just stole the memory of the kiss, not all memories of her.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tir McDohl posted:

Sorry if this was answered really recently, but anyone know what chapter abouts the anime is at? For reference, Luffy is ~starting to use~ observation haki against Katakuri and is getting attacked with poison darts by Katakuri's sister

According to the wiki it's pages 12-17 of chapter 891 and the first 9 pages of chapter 892

e: Wait looked at the wrong episode. 9-17 of 892, 2-8 of 893

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Minion of Freya posted:

Her power not only works in the ocean, it works ON the ocean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLmxz4GnLtU

You know, I get it

they dont want to give up the time slot
anime production is garbage industry necessitating quick production
cant get all the good animators
probably budget stuff going on that result in cutting other corners

So when you're adapting the manga you gotta streeeeetch it

but the thing that just really kills the anime for me is how painfully slow it stretches everything. This scene feels like it lasts forever, there is barely any movement on anything, the movement that is there is like a slide show and they linger on everything. It takes the bite and awe out of everything it touches. The green room sequence was one of my favorites from the final escape but here its just ... bad. Especially that "green wave" filter as it slowly lingers on everyone's reactions before the pan out.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Plebian Parasite posted:

watching blackbeards long game come into fruition in impel down was a big 'oh poo poo' moment, and it kinda has me wondering what his current plan is, given that he's seemingly not going after the rio poneglyphs

If I had to guess it was consolidate power first and then, depending on the state of the world:
-go after the Rio Poneglyphs himself with his huge rear end crew of terrors and overwhelm them in a war
-wait for someone else to gather the poneglyphs, then swoop in either once that happens or at raftel

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Bleck posted:

probably not - note that all SMILE users revealed so far, as far as I can remember, either have horns on their head or their ears are replaced with the ears of the animal their fruit is based on

it seems like all smile users just constantly have animal parts they can't disappear. Like the lion crotch guy was a smile user too, for example. But you also got people with goat legs or horse bodies and so on, that they're always in rather than the true zoan hybrid state

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I hope Oda has an incredible look cooked up for vegapunk

I hope he's the most normal looking character in the entire manga
I'm talking total plain boy
Absolutely nothing outstanding
Just Some Old Guy

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

Not gonna bone much after all that steroid abuse.

Hordy "2 Small Dicks" Jones

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Punk Hazard was great
the chimera people were fun
i liked the icy hot wasteland aesthetic
caesar is a great villain because he is just so unapologetically lovely in every possible way
virgo & monet were both great
kinnemon is cool and good

cool scenes:
-when half the crew enters the ice side, freezing, and has the menacing panel of them about to steal clothes off caesar's minions
-luffy punching a dragon
-zoro scaring monet so bad she can't reform
-usopp's speech set to luffy punching the gently caress out of caesar
-law cutting the entire mountain in half while fighting virgo
-the cool salamander exploding into petrifying gas
-i really liked the panel of luffy riding dragon-momo out of the pit
-the flashback sequence showing caesar "helping" his minions when he first arrives
-when they're riding around on brownbeard and they casually rest their legs and coats on him
-the slow dawning realization that teaming up with the strawhats was a huge mistake
-chopper hat on law
-chopper as a phonestrap on law's sword and he's making this face: > :<
-the end sequence with monet speaking to doflamingo as she tries to blow up the island but her heart gets stabbed
-the party!
-reveal of the giant kids and the scope of caesar's hosed up experiments
-one of the giant kids eating all the laced candies so the other kids wouldn't eat them was hardcore

PH had some pacing problems like how the yeti cool brothers could be removed entirely or how about 80% of the arc was running around (which I kind of liked tbh but I get it's a sticking point) but it's probably one of my favorite arcs even on a reread. It's just really fun

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

AkumaHokoru posted:

we needed the yeti cool brothers. Sorry.

I love the yeti cool brothers but beyond being cool brother yetis with guns they really got the shaft
I don't think they ever showed up again after they were taken care of

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

JahRoo posted:

Also remember that all the big Charlotte children are like 40+ and have had years to build their rap sheet while 550 mil ace was like 19 when he died.

It's easy to forget how many players are pretty old. For some of big mom's crew alone
Big Mom is 68
Peros is 50
Katakuri, Oven & Daifuku are 48
Cracker is 45
Brulee is 43
Smoothie is probably the youngest most notable one that isnt a teenager, 35

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

tbp posted:

i really hope o-lins memory loss is from pudding somehow rather than just "oh she bonked her head lol" cuz that'd feel weird and too convenient for the story

god i already can't wait for next week tho. this is unbearable

We saw King kick the boat and Big Mom instantly fall into the water so I doubt it's Pudding
Who is probably not even on this trip. We haven't seen her and honestly Pudding seems like someone you'd just leave at home.

sometimes a contrivance is just a contrivance!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Demonicpoodle posted:

They did okay. *sigh*

I just wish they understood the concept of "weight". Impact. This is the leader of the entire loving world being revealed. What music do they choose to use? "I dunno lol just put generic kingly music on there I guess." There are so many unused New World tracks, they coulda used a better one. Other than that it was fine, the Gorosei said their lines well.

I'm going to choose to take it as canon that Imu's eyes are unnaturally red. It's a decent possibility that that's what someone who had the Immortality Surgery done on them looks like.

This is probably really nitpicky but the way Imu's hand moves (retreating it from the butterfly) and the way Vivi's photo moves is just
bad

it's like moving something in photoshop like you're just selecting it and then moving it around the layer. Like would more animation REALLY be needed for such a small part? No, save an animator where you can. But it looks so cheap, surely there was a better way. There's no weight to anything, like you say, even ignoring other choices.

The Wano arc is supposed to have a new art director/lead, right? I hope they can find a way to infuse more life into the anime, it's just such a bummer to look up clips and keep going UGH at every single ugly and blatantly time stretching decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Demonicpoodle posted:

Wano's gonna be really good in the anime yeah. It has the Dragon Ball Broly movie director as the new series director. But there's no way to fix the pacing, so that'll still be like Foxy Noro Noro Beam'd the entire anime. The brilliant thing about Wano is it represents Japan, so Toei HAS to do it well to represent. Also the series director confirmed that Wano is indeed the most important arc of the series so far.

That's good but thinking of all the long
dreadful
just paused on a still shot
with no real music to speak of

pans on the Yasuie crucifixation , sucks.

This but in wano and ideally with better art https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTua_QDQCLU