Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If a show is boring just don't watch it. You don't have to do this to yourself just because it has a robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Japan as an economically ailing client state that's occupied by a foreign military isn't some far-flung ukoyu dantai nughtmare, it's just US-Japan relations in 2021

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Frankly it's quite chuddish of you not to support this anti-imperialist action of the vulnerable Japanese people depicted in this show! Funny how it's always American posters that get super bent out of shape about this stuff!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Noted bastions of informed takes, animefeminist and animenewsnetwork.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

So far all you've said is "don't like it don't watch it" and written a troll response "maybe you're the chud for not cheering on the Japanese freedom fighters and you're obviously an American shouting outrage."

Are you actually going to add anything or just continue being snide.

I'm being entirely sincere in my dismissal of takes from the infamous blowjob knees website

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm also entirely sincere about how it's only ever Americans that get upset about this stuff

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Squidster posted:

I find animefeminist to be pretty strong, actually. I don't always agree with their conclusions, but they're generally sourced from the text. But please, elaborate.

A writer said that the yuri anime Citrus was problematic because the characters had shiny red knees, which they called "blowjob knees", which is a pretty weird thing to say about a show about lesbians!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

This is Canada erasure. The politeness is a front to hide our deep seated insecurities.

drat, you're Canadian? You live like this?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Tomino's weirdness with women goes way back. There's an episode of Yuusha Raideen where the pilot gets moody... so the adult men start pressuring his girlfriend to sleep with him to cheer him up. The issue is resolved when she instead cradles the pilot in her lap while he cries, because what he really wanted the whole time was a mother figure. It is amazingly hosed up, and it's exactly the weirdness you'd expect from Tomino in his later shows.

Lmao Jesus. Is that the episode Starseeker refused to translate for like six years?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

kyoukai senki might go real hard into right wing nationalism, i dunno. but i also don't care because the show is boring.

To be honest the show would only be improved by a Yukio Mishima analogue showing up.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think it's fine to be wary but this is also reading a hell.of a lot into a minute long background blurb!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think the real issue this demonstrates is how bad the Muv Luv Alternative anime is, that everyone is latching onto this random mediocre Sunrise anime as the fascist discourse of the season.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I hope the red head guy is Brad of "Brady Hound (Brad Custom)" fig fame

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't know what happened to bones but it's crazy. Fuckers have not managed to put out a single good product since E7. And all their sequel work is just making GBS threads all over their good ideas

Mob Psycho and Concrete Revolutio?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Booky posted:

the recent konaka stuff sounded extremely dumb imo, plus apparently he did a recentish anime where a char goes 'climate change is fake'?? afaik he's super into conspiracies too so im super unsurprised that he fell down one too many facebook holes in the like 20 years since he did a digimon/lain

what happens in the pocketful movie...? :gonk:

The climate change anime is almost 15 years old and when asked about the Digimon thing he was like "yeah I was going through some weird stuff when I wrote it". But nobody talks about that part because they can't get outraged over it!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

The Chad Tomino: It's 1987 and in this speech I will have my character tell politicians that they're destroying the earth.

The Virgin Konaka: People are being mean to me on twitter because I said I trust alt-right nutjobs but not vaccines.

Did you miss the part where he apologized.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

He never complained about people being mean to him. He owned up. What you said exists entirely in your head and not reality.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I would also say 15 years is quite a long time on a personal level. If you believe the same things and think the same way you did 15 years ago then you have a startling lack of self consciousness

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Booky posted:

i mean personally i think the konaka stuff sounded dumb as hell, if he apologized that's alright but i still think it's mega lame to "well Actually he's not bad at all why'd you all try and Cancel him people just like getting outraged!!" it when by 'cancelling' was people going "wow this kinda sucks" on twitter, also lol at saying that 'climate change was fake' was a mainstream opinion from 15 years ago, im sure that was pretty fringe even back then (e: i think i misread a bit?? still, i don't really agree that it being from 15 years ago clears it on that point)

I'm willing to bet a large portion of posters on this website (not just adtrw) said and believed things 15 years ago they wouldn't condone today

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hell I thought about it and in 15 years people can get a whole lot worse so I'll drop that point

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I know Gorf gets huffed up whenever people talk about hatewatching shows but these Kyokai Senki breakdowns are entertaining. Stumbling around trying to come up with compelling geopolitics and failing is fun.

You must be pretty butthurt to call me out specifically.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tomino named a character after Lemon People. He's always been sus

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Well I'll be!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The fairy connection still means it's sus though!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

Friend, I asked for the source right at the end of the post.

I love you SA, never change.

Lmfao

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph causing chaos in the mecha thread by releasing sex pervert anime directors numbered 1,2, and 4.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

So, new Kyoukai Senki this week, and, credit where due, they actually addressed one of my complaints. We see the American controlled areas of Japan, and it feels different from the Chinese or Australian sections, with the Americans being on decent terms with the locals. At the same time, we get Brad, the American POV character, meditating on how, even if they don't actively oppress the locals, they're still doing real harm, taking away people's right to self-determination and destroying their culture. It's a surprisingly nuanced bit of writing compared to most of this show, explaining how things work, why the current situation is bad (justifying the actions of the resistance group) and why people would still think that they're doing a good thing.

Actually, I'd say this episode was... kind of good. I'm shocked too.

We spend most of the episode with Brad Watt, the AMERICAN ace pilot, in his attempts to bring down the Ghost, and he's a much more compelling protagonist in one episode than Amou has been in six. He's got complicated feelings about his role (He feels like what the Americans are doing isn't right, but he also only feels alive on the battlefield), a messy family situation (his CO is his adoptive father), and a decent dynamic with his unit, where his best friend doesn't quite see eye-to-eye with him on politics and the new girl doesn't initially trust his management style.

The fight's dynamic, the stakes are clear (life or death against a rapidly adapting combat AI), and the protagonist shows why he's the one in the spotlight by pulling off tactics no-one else can succeed with. We also meet the resistance's backer who, unlike the straightforwardly heroic leads, is obviously sinister, which suggests that there's some depth to the conflict incoming.

It's not all good, of course. The new pilot seems like a dull shrinking violet type, and the recurring humans and AIs from the main cast don't have any more depth than before, but it actually feels like there's some idea as to how things work now. (The country is on-paper independent, but huge chunks of its territory are actually owned by foreign powers, including government offices and most of the military.) It could be the change in director, it could just be a coincidental improvement, and I'm not expecting this level of quality to keep up, but if this becomes the new standard, I'm actually going to be onboard out of something more than perverse stubbornness and mocking the show's mistakes.

It looks like this episode was written by Misaki Morie instead of Noboru Kimura, who has written every episode so far. Unfortunately he goes back to being the writer next episode

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I say watch in order released. Ova, movie 1, tv, the movie 2. For the true labor head experience

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

:jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/lishainik/status/1476701863437287424?cxt=HHwWgICylauhpv4oAAAA