Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

M3 felt edgy as gently caress with basically no substance. i remember being fairly amused in like episode 3 when the newly introduced psychopath went all hotline miami execution on a security guard and that's about it. i gave up on the show because it just felt like it wasn't interesting and wasn't going anywhere interesting.

i don't even remember particularly liking the robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

was the new aquarion show really awful? i thought EVOL was a lot of fun and was really disappointed when i heard the new one sucks rear end. someone tell me that i heard wrong and it's actually awesome after a disappointing first episode or something

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

From what I remember of Mazinkaiser SKL, it's only a really good introductory mecha anime if the person being introduced is a 14 year old boy. Wan't it just a lot of robot fight scenes with guns that are axes and then a volcano explodes?

this sounds like everything i could want in life, putting on my to watch list

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I dunno man, Nagai could be a little weird too.

this is the best thing i've seen today

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'd be pretty ok with a robot show that was just robots punching each other for 20 minutes without any intended deeper meanings or boring drama with the stupid human pilots

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I mostly just want to watch a well animated fight scene over any kind of plot or writing. I don't know what idea is really being communicated in a contextless fight scene, I think desire for a visual spectacle is a little different from a desire for a well constructed story

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think there's a difference between "i want a mecha anime that glorifies war" and "i want an anime with giant robots that also is about something other than how awful war is"

i mean it's been a while, but i can't remember a terribly strong anti war message in, say, aquarion evol. does patlabor have a strong anti-war message?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno if it's disqualified from this conversation due to being an OVA series instead of a TV show, but fundamental thunderbolt was an extremely good mecha anime

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It did have something to say? It said "war is bad, and transforms people who would otherwise be good people into bad people."

Like it's not a terribly complex message but it's not just making you depressed for the sake of being depressed. It's not like this is random footage of a puppy being drowned.

The fights not being traditionally entertaining is kind of why I love them too? They're much more about the emotional impact than the spectacle of the fight -purposefully- and I think it's very unique and good in that respect. Its good that the show is self concious about the fact that making you go "wow this is so cool I want to see more like this" about people being brutally slaughtered is actually kind of hosed up, and does a good job of weaving that feeling into the broader narrative (there is a good fight with lots of give and take in the movie, and it's representative of the tragedy of both io and daryl totally being consumed by war and enjoying themselves as they try to murder each other).

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Also "characters didn't go anywhere" seems kind of strange to me, since the whole first season was about daryl's transformation into the same kind of fightdemon that io is.

Tbh thunderbolt is probably my favorite gundam period. In a series that generally has fairly middling execution I thought it was incredibly spot on with that it was going for. That it laser focused on the "war is hell" message of gundam and didn't pay much mind to the transhumanism or environmental messages isn't a big downside to me. I very much appreciate that instead of trying to say 5 things poorly, it choose to say 1 thing very well.

That being said if season 2 shat itself I wouldn't know because I was wanting to hold off for another movie compilation before watching it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

But it didn't do anything to show they would be good people. We barely see Io as anything but a combat junkie, and Daryl's bunch sits in a mass grave and complains that the enemy was so unfair as to fight back.

You also get things like Claudia's drug addiction and the children's crusade too, bits which don't make too much sense in the context of the narrative as shown in the anime except to make things "grittier". Why send a bunch of children to die without accomplishing anything, destroying multi-million dollar military hardware for no gain? BECAUSE WAR IS HELL!

It's all shown with an almost leering camera, invoking less of a disgust with war than a perverse attraction. It's not good, but it's still cool.

To top it all off, the message didn't feel honest. Compare to War In Pocket. There, the message is "War ruins lives". You see good, likable people doing questionable things and getting killed because they're in a war. You see bad people given power because of war. Bernie and Chris are tragic because, without the war, they'd probably wind up like in Build Fighters.

Thunderbolt says that people in war are monsters. Daryl's friends are eager suicide bombers, the Federation's team killers and battle maniacs, everyone's just all kinds of hosed up. Instead of getting people who are mostly just people (if, you know, often traumatized one way or another by the things they've seen and done), Thunderbolt has exaggerated symbols of the horrors of war.

It does enough well that I see why people like it. I just can't agree with the most effusive praise.

Yes it did. Cornelius literally has a monologue with claudia about how io isn't naturally some horrible death demon, but his balls to the wall personality being mixed with war creates a horrible death demon. He more or less literally turned to the camera and said "io is a good person who has been twisted by war." It's as subtle as a sledge hammer, and while it could have been shown in ways better than a side character having a monologue it's certainly there. Io's interactions with claudia and the children serve a similar purpose: he's humanized in that he's well aware of how hosed up the situation he's in is ("we're both here because everyone above us died" and "we live in times where the more people you kill, the more you're called a hero" being choice example quotes). Daryl's a little less obvious, but seeing the contrast between him as an innocent, happy child and the reality of his current life seems like enough to me.

Claudia's drug addiction makes plenty of sense. She's a normal loving person with the tragic "weakness" of caring about people dying, and the guilt leads her to dark coping mechanisms. Her valuing human life would be a good quality in any situation besides "war commander," where it undermines her ability to lead effectively (her constantly having to retreat to her room to deal with her guilt is a bit less than inspiring) and her final action is choosing to have the ship evacuated so the crew doesn't die. This action gets her shot by someone she was trying to save . "War is awful to good people" is the entire point of her plot, and while it's certainly the weakest part of the show its not at all pointless. Narratively, I'm not sure what's at all unreasonable or unbelievable about "person in a bad situation turns to drugs to deal with it."

The kids' purpose is to contrast the reality that the soldiers face with the idealized version that people who haven't experienced war hold. It's not as good as a whole series devoted to the concept like 0080, but as a quick and condensed deal the kids being introduced spontaniously saluting a war machine while all the actual soldiers look on and say "what the gently caress are they doing?" Is pretty good, followed up by them immediately panicking as soon as a single zeon soldier starts shooting at their group of 40. Narratively, they're a distraction meant to draw zeon's attention while io goes on a solo mission to blow up all the zeon ships. Daryl actually does the exact same thing with one of his buddies, and both plans work out extremely well. I'll grant that I'm not entirely sure why they got gms instead of all being put into balls for this purpose.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 16, 2017

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

where can i find footage of this

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is its animation as janky and low-budget as 0079?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i watched captain earth as it was airing, and if i did not watch it as it was airing i certainly would've dropped it quickly. if i had to sum up my lingering impression of it, it'd be "the earth engine was a really rad robot, so why was it always portrayed as incredibly ineffectual?"

star driver i could tell was a good show but i think that outside of how silly the gingabishounen stuff was it wasn't really to my tastes, so i dropped it after episode 8 or so (i recall really enjoying the opening every time it played though)

also: any discussion about captain earth isn't complete without posting the only thing worthwhile to come out of captain earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZwlFadLMgQ

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 23, 2017

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

When I watched the first episode of shin mazinger it was kind of an acid trip of characters I didn't know participating in events I had no context for and immediately forgot about minutes later rather than draw any kind of pre-conceived notion from them

I ended up not watching the rest of the show, despite later saying to myself "I should check out what any of that was about" constantly

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i tried watching M3 when it aired, and mostly just remember getting kind of bored with it. it felt like it was trying to be weird and edgey without much substance to back that up?

is it actually way better than my fuzzy memory of it? i think i stopped at like, episode 3

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the first person zaku scene from gundam thunderbolt is definitely one of my favorites

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i just watched pacific rim a couple days ago, and the idea that someone had trouble following those fight scenes is pretty confusing to me but i'm willing to accept that that was the case for you, for reasons that i am totally unable to comprehend

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

wasn't build fighters pretty successful

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

In Wings of Rean, Tomino feels the need to address abortion.

i want to hear more about this

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

when i tried watching gunbuster i found the beginning of it kind of boring, tbh, and never got around to finishing it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Blisster posted:

Is there anywhere to watch the TV series online? I am having no luck finding it. Will I ruin the experience if I watch the movies first (I think they're all on youtube).

I have been getting into some mecha shows recently after not having watched any since like... Gundam Wing a decade ago. I am running a mech based tabletop RPG for some buddies so I need inspiration! So far I've watched Iron Blooded Orphans, Gundam Unicorn, Gundam 00 (season 1 only), and Aldnoah.Zero. Gotta say I liked IBO the best, although it did drop the ball in a couple spots.

I just finished Aldnoah yesterday and it was really disappointing in the end. The first couple battles were great, then things got gimmicky super fast, and most of the interesting ideas brought up in the show go nowhere. Also I hated the CGI mechs.

What are some good shows to check out? Particularly on the more hard military sci-fi or cyberpunk ends of things. Been thinking of checking out 8th MS team or Bubblegum Crisis (although this looks fanservicey as hell) next.

personally i really like gundam thunderbolt, and if you liked IBO that's a pretty good reason to give it a look

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i mean, i assume that if someone is a fan of IBO, they're a fan of grit. no, thunderbolt isn't the same as rewatching IBO, it's a different anime, but i can't really see someone enjoying IBO and thunderbolt NOT being worth at least a quick look.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm so glad to see a thunderbolt conversation that isn't about whether or not it's fascist, these have been some enjoyable posts to read

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What characters other than Io did you feel were irredeemable shitstains? The only other named character I can think of who fits that description is maybe claudia's second in command, who I'm not actually certain had a name

Cornelius and Karla were both perfectly pleasant people, I wouldn't call claudia an irredeemable shitstain, and the majority of the other grunts seemed fairly alright too

EDIT: I forgot about Karla's fellow scientist, but I still don't think that's "a majority of characters"

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 14, 2019

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Also daryl literally uses the same strategy the feds do with their child soldiers, only instead of child soldiers he has his buddy play the "unknowing suicide distraction" role. He doesn't taunt his enemies the way Io does but he definitely crosses the rear end in a top hat line towards the end, the difference between him and Io is that Io is aware he's an rear end in a top hat and decides to own it, while daryl is blissfully unaware of what a lovely person he is

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

People not understanding that Io wasn't a bad person until after his father killed himself and Io became a soldier is the weirdest thing to me. There's like, literally a scene where cornelius turns to the camera and says "Io used to be cool"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Valvrave is insane and I wish another show like it would be made, but without the "consentual rape" scene

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'd generally agree. I didn't hate s2, but it was definitely a huge step down

The scene of moses still makes me giggle

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

As an audio visual experience it was really good but the writing was mostly just serviceable. I liked it but I'm in no hurry to see it again

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Silent Voice needs to be in SS rank for sure. I think I'm the only one who hates Turn A Turn though, Century Color is great imo.

I like turn A turn but I'd probably consider it middle of the pack in a ranking

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Cross ange was really funny for an episode or two but pretty quickly even in a "watch it because it's hilariously bad" context the sexual elements are more than a bit much

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

question: what are the good mecha animes that have, like, adult main characters/aren't about child soldiers

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That's an awful lot of good recs, thanks guys! I'm thinking I'll probably give macros plus or patlabor a try, both series I've been meaning to check out for a while

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I wonder what steps would have to be taken to make HG give up the rights, like if some rich obsessed mecha fan wanted to force their hands by deliberately tanking all their investment portfolios or something

The real answer is "rich obsessed mecha fan gives them a huge dump truck full of money"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Does gundam usually have PMCs portrayed favorably? I'm trying to think of any and i think typically in gundam it's more of a "lesser of 2 evils" thing. Ibo is the only one that comes to mind where the protagonist organization is pretty much entirely presented sympathetically

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

pretty sure most proper zeon soldiers joined haman's neo zeon instead of the aeug

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Sounds like the issue is there's no in universe justification for the reckless child abandonment

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

He's the robot's best friend and they all like hanging out with him

gonna be honest i don't think that's a terribly good reason to send a child into battle

i don't really care for the specific issue OP has with that specific show but this has been a really weird conversation to watch unfold where people keep saying this in response to a question that it really doesn't answer well

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the dude was asked why he doesn't like the show and his answer was "they never give a reason for the kid to be there and it's weird."

people keep saying the reason is "because he's friends with the robot" but that's not a reason for a kid to participate in a life endangering fight, that's a reason for a kid to hang out with the robot between fights. like it's fine to just say "the show doesn't give a good answer because it isn't interested in exploring that, sounds like the show wasn't for you."

i think it's kind of a silly thing to dislike a show for but it's not difficult to understand and it's not hard to see why "because he's friends with the robot" isn't a satisfying answer. why is everyone so incredulous about this topic

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 20, 2021