Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GorfZaplen posted:

Ishikawa was pretty bad at ending manga, even his one shots tend to end in a To Be Continued...

I thought Go ended pretty satisfactory, as did Shin (granted, that's partly because Shin is a prequel to Go).

I'm not too familiar with his non-Getter manga, is there anything you'd recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Srice posted:

Admittedly, I'm probably in the minority in that I love all of the Getter Robo OVAs a lot but I'm real cold on the manga.

The original Getter Robo manga definitely does not hold up, past maybe the first four chapters.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Artum posted:

Hes bad at endings generally, the only thing that comes to mind with a truely satisfying conclusion was G gundam.

Tetsujin came close but really needed just ANYTHING of japan after all the horrors of the war had been laid to rest.

That's Yasuhiro Imagawa. Ken Ishikawa created Getter Robo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mimir posted:

Does anyone have a screenshot of someone saying, like, "Doctor Hell is a respected scientist" or something? I remember seeing something along those lines and I found it hilarious.

I don't have that, but I do have this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mimir posted:

I think the first one was what I was thinking of - at least the picture, maybe someone had a caption or something. I just love the idea of Professor Demento Psychosis being a nice, friendly guy when you get to know him.

Dr. Hell, and his grotesque little family of servile ghouls, are absolutely incredible. He's such an astonishingly broken individual.

Each of the 70's super robot shows have their own set of cackling villains, but none match Dr. Hell in simultaneously being monstrous and completely pitiful.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Sorry for the double post, but the first chapter of recent manga Mazinger Z: Alter Ignition is basically nothing but panels of respected scientist Dr. Hell.

Here's a handful:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Blaze Dragon posted:

Huh, there's a new Mazinger manga? What's it about? Is it about Dr. Hell, here looking like a regular person and not like someone who is blatantly the villain of the show?

I've been told that it will primarily be about Kouji Kabuto readjusting to life without constant conflict, having defeated all his enemies.

Here are the raws for the first chapter: http://mazin-go.com/mz-oltign/%e3%8...ac%ac%ef%bc%91/

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mimir posted:

Speaking of funny - is Dai-Guard any good?

Over all I did like it, but after you get past the initial concept there really isn't enough going on to fill out 26 episodes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'd settle for the manga getting translated at this point, really.

I was really impressed with what's been subbed so far. They really go deep on the god/devil and femininity/masculinity aspects.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I have not watched PoD, but I'm a little suspect that it's that much a departure from the show's tone, given that Nadesico was an incredibly pessimistic show beneath it's cheerful veneer.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm not defending Akito the Shadow the Hedgehog or anything, but not "balancing" and just being flat dark does seem like the logical conclusion to what the series was going for.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 8, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
You didn't post the image of Mazinger Z! How could you skip out on the robot?

https://twitter.com/Eldur_380/status/875001486983430144

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nuebot posted:

EDIT: So I've almost got my friend convinced robot anime is cool. He's about to watch some Getter, is on the fence with Mazinger Z and absolutely loved Big O and Evangelion (hated the rebuilds though). So, do you guys have any suggestions for series that capture the style or tone of Big O or Eva at all? I've run through most of my good ideas already and we've got a few cool things to watch.

I think you best bet might be Tetsujin 28 (2004). It's a little more anti-industrial than anti-corporate, but it otherwise has a lot in common with Big O and Eva.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Anime is good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Raideen kicks rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rJn7sM-oqI

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4quXc9liq7g

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
So it's a light novel?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Relin posted:

yeah i was just thinking theres probably a drama cd or a 711 only pamphlet released for 2 weeks in 2007 that expands on the story OR SOMETHING

It'd presumably have been explained in Project Z, a follow up to GGG that was teased on the GGG Final DVD set. It would have featured Mamoru and Kaidou copiloting the "GaiGo" and have crossed over more heavily with the Betterman series.

Nothing came of it until the novels (?) that have just been announced a week ago.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ImpAtom posted:

a flawed show which isn't quite able to reach the depths it is trying to hit

Blaze Dragon posted:

Writing-wise, it has quite a few issues,

That's not so much a condemnation of IBO as it is Gundam as a whole.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ImpAtom posted:

its failures can be a lot more offputting or uncomfortable

Snooze Cruise posted:

the show on a whole just feel way more thematically inconsistent with itself

What I take from all this is that IBO is an extremely Gundam-like Gundam show.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Light Gun Man posted:

an even better decision would be to read all the getter manga, it fuckin owns

Eh, the original Getter manga was pretty average past the first volume, and G wasn't even that.

Getter Robo Go and forward are amazing, however.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
and Musashi knows all of them

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I like the Xabungle, but it looks like it should be the lead mecha of a different show.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 12, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't know if this is the right thread to ask this, but I figure someone here would know the answer.

Did Tomy ever release a King J-der toy? I've seen toys of most the Gaogaigar cast, but all I've seen of J-der is an SD figure.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Blaze Dragon posted:

Thanks to Brunom's SRWL LP, I started watching Gaiking. I'm by episode 13, and the series is really good at showing why Daiya shouldn't have used Face Open.

By that I mean that the animation quality went to poo poo in a series that wasn't particularly well-drawn to begin with. It's too powerful, it destroys the budget.

EDIT: Okay, it actually channels all that budget into fight scenes. That was a really drat good fight. But the rest of the episode was still really ugly and I nearly skipped it due to that, and it would've been a mistake.

You're really limiting yourself as a mecha anime viewer if you stick to things that are well animated.

SlowBloke posted:

Today in :italy: we had a limited theatrical release of Mazinger Infinity, I went to see it. Are you guys interested in an effortpost about it? tl:dr it was awful.

loving hell yes I am.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SlowBloke posted:

We seriously had a five minutes long psychotic breakdown after the main Dr. Hell attack, with Dr. Yumi(now prime minister of japan) demanding to the photon lab that kabuto was to be reinstated as an active pilot again(while doing a loving gendo pose) and with Sayaka(now head of the Photon Labs) replying by crying about peace and that kabuto shouldn't be burdened with the fate of the world and a lot of emo bs

welp

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Discotek's translation of GoShogun is finally up for preorder.

https://www.amazon.com/GoShogun-Complete-TV/dp/B076F6W3B2

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Zambot 3 is a masterpiece.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ninjewtsu posted:

Is its animation as janky and low-budget as 0079?

Zambot wishes it had 79's budget.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kanos posted:

A good plot and characters can carry lovely mecha designs/fight choreography, but a bad plot and bad characters are generally not saved by great mecha designs/fight choreography.

The Godmars / Dancouga divide.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'd be interested in reading what you thought of Infinity, although I'll admit that the trailers I saw really did not make it interesting.

dogsicle posted:

also it made me think Great Mazinger is cooler than Z by several miles, dunno if that's common.

It should be.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

tsob posted:

Other than that I don't think there's a huge amount of translated material anyway. I know there's the original show, but I'm not even sure if that's fully professionally subbed, rather than Hong Kong subbed. I'm pretty sure none of the other shows have been translated at this point, and most of them are AUs of various kinds, like God Mazinger which has a more fantasy setting and uses a power armor instead of a full blown mech I think.

The entirety of the original series has been professionally subbed by Discotek, and Great Mazinger has also been professionally subbed, although it has yet to be released (it will be by mid March, IIRC).

The original show was an immensely influential series, but it was also a very formula show that went on for some 91 episodes (147 you count Great Mazinger). Much of what it did was later done better by it's imitators. I wouldn't really recommend it accept to aficionados, especially because they're quite pricey.

I would recommend both Mazinkaiser and Shin Mazinger, but they each have their faults. Mazinkaiser makes the title robot powerful in a manner that's occasionally unsatisfying, and Shin Mazinger is very unevenly paced and Imagawa (the shows director) leans too heavily on obscurantism. None the less, they're both enjoyable shows.

I'd also recommend the manga, but since batoto went down I wouldn't know how to link it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Muffinlord posted:

Is Shin the one up on Crunchyroll? I remember watching about two thirds of the first episode and being absolutely lost.

The first episode is basically a 30 minute long trailer that forecasts events that don't end up happening. Skip it.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 12, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Artum posted:

Except for the first scene which is the the ending of the series.

Yup, that's me, everybody's hero, Kouji Kabuto! You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SlowBloke posted:

Shin Mazinger Zero should be read if only for ultra ripped Dr. Hell:black101:

What's great about that is that the implication is that's how the original series Dr. Hell viewed himself.
The Shin Mazinger Zero Dr. Hell, this terrifying ultramasculine fascist ubermensch, is then the invention of a deeply inadequate man. Everything that makes him look cool simultaneously exposes him as pathetic.

Mazinger Zero kicked rear end. It's a shame so little of it was translated.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Marx Headroom posted:

Thanks, looks great! man Tomino mustve been one hell of a busy guy

I think Tomino was only involved with the planning stages of Vifam.
The actual director was Takeyuki Kanda, who also directed Dragonar, parts of Dougram and 08th MS Team.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

StrixNebulosa posted:

I thought about continuing and then decided I'd be better off looking through my backlog instead and I found Tekkaman Blade, which isn't a mecha show, but it does open with a robot-man fighting bugs in space for five minutes before this happens, so it's already a billion times better.

hell yeah

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Muffinlord posted:

You can also see a lot of proto-Zeta in the mecha designs, which is cool as hell, and the first opening song is honestly one of my favorites.

There's actually an English version of the OP and it's actually rad as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhUkRN4TMxI

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Darth Walrus posted:

So, y’all got any particular favourite giant robot fight scenes?

Oh, cool, another excuse for me to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcX2DHD2zXI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Caphi posted:

Akira, you couldn't have gotten out the sword a few trillion in property damage earlier.

You know, does anyone even remember the new REIDEEN?

e: not even the internet remembers REIDEEN, all the pages for it are dead.

I remembered the new REIDEEN. I even liked it, although the pacing was loving glacial and nothing ever happened.

I stopped watching around the episode Reideen fought Tamashii exclusive Black Reideen. I always meant to finish the series, but like Calvin I couldn't find the subs when I went looking for them.