Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Fintilgin posted:

The thing that baffles me about Stellaris is that the time ticks are like two hours long. I think they were stated as ten a day.

Which is weird to me.

I mean, I get its an abstract measurement, but given your building a huge interstellar empire I was picturing time ticks as being days at a minimum or even weeks or months.

The tick rate hasn't been looked at in a while, it happens to be functional for dev purposes. We'll be tweaking it, but I can't promise that it's temp because 10 ticks per day might turn out to be the magic number. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

zedprime posted:

make research success truly skill based and contract a hidden object game developer to create some sci fi HOGs that guarantee research success

I'll pitch this to the team ty

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

zedprime posted:

Tech has been described as a collecting card game,and anomalies as the only source of cards so we should definitely be concerned if the anomaly system sucks.
You will still be doing the majority of your teching within the confines of the tech not-tree.

Anomalies can occasionally give you access to techs you have not yet researched, or perhaps allow you to research techs you otherwise would never have been able to develop, but those instances are going to be comparatively rare. Your government form and your species' ethics and even individual scientist traits are all likely to have an equal-or-greater impact on your technological development.

EDIT: All of this is still subject to change, obviously. But anomalies are unlikely to be the primary source of technological advancement, was my point.

LordMune fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 3, 2015

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Just catching up on the thread so this is a few days old but

Agean90 posted:

So what's the most "wait what" level bug you guys have found so far
The other day during an office MP session, someone neglected to defend their colony from some horrors from the deep, and all pops on that planet were enslaved

along with every other pop, on every other inhabited planet in the galaxy :negative:
(other players could emancipate their pops though so no harm no foul aside from some negative happiness modifiers)

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

I'll say this about combat; it looks really cool.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Casus Bellifriend

(nice joke A++)

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

We put up one of them dev diaries for Stellaris. MP owns.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

V for Vegas posted:

Bad google translation of the article.

quote:

The reason for listing is that the company needs capital.

That is an incredibly bad google translation since it literally dropped a very important word.
The reason for listing is not that the company needs capital.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I'd like to publicly announce to this thread and the internet in general that I'd really really like to play Stellaris.

Please do look forward to it.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Ofaloaf posted:

want to crack open HoI4 and Stellaris more than I want to actually play them, just to see how all the bits work together
Please don't look. I don't want to have to clean up my scripts and make them presentable. :negative:

Ofaloaf posted:

There oughta be Modder Mondays that focus on that sort of thing. Even if it isn't talking about moddable features in upcoming titles, time could be spent doing workshops on modding for beginners or something, take the opportunity to highlight the internal accessibility of the games and all that.
This is something I've been thinking about. Any such decision would be completely out of my hands and I suspect we're all much too busy with important things for this to be a realistic prospect, but it's more likely to happen in the near future now than it's ever been.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Torrannor posted:

At least he had Johan with him in the previous vid, who's nice eye candy in addition to the amazing job he does at Paradox.

:eyepop:

Looks like you have a fan, Johan.
that's doomdark though

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

fuf posted:

My biggest concern after those Quill Stellaris vids is that it looked like he had to press a key to zoom out all the way and see the whole galaxy. I really hope that's not the case and that you can smoothly zoom all the way in and out. :ohdear:
I think this was attempted at some point during development. IIRC it was scrapped because it's a neat idea that does not work very well in practice.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Tuskin38 posted:

Wow the create a empire UI has changed since the videos that came out at GDC.
You're thinking of the PCGamer stuff, happened way before GDC. But there was an embargo.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

I joined Paradox months before cKnoor wtf : |

Other than that the list looks fairly complete...?

E: vvv No... vvv

E2: Doomdark isn't a goon, is he?

LordMune fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 2, 2016

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

I logged off forever when Stellaris got a 6.3. Posting from beyond the grave

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Stellaris also reached a wider audience that does not overlap much with the more obsessive HoI fans. :mad: [/defensive]

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

Ugh, you didn't tell us you were a goon :frogout:
One goon enters the content design team, one goon leaves... The worst possible Thunderdome.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

ThaumPenguin posted:

Which goon left?
Darkrenown abandoned the noble art of content design in favor of... game design...!

Still at PDS though.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

pdxjohan posted:

We need at pds_goon channel at slack.

All we need is a script to batch-import all the SA emoticons to slack and we're set.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Here is a kickstarter for a board game that may be of interest to Paradox fans. It seems a little ambitious, but it might be neat! (It *is* expensive though)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/166119889/medioevo-universalis/description

Is this the one that used Crusader Kings 2 music in a demo video? Because lol

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Baron Porkface posted:

Is Merni's GDC Ai talk available to the public somewhere?
It hasn't happened yet, but once GDC has come and gone maybe it will be in the GDC vault if you have access? Maybe?

verbal enema posted:

I want paradox on my ps4
Maybe a PS4 Pro patch would finally make the Clausewitz engine multi-threaded!! ping Groogy

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

well, we're done

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Because all references hidden away in script are endorsements...?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

I think that means "professional reader", Groogy. But we're not much for them fancy book-learnings at Paradox.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Groogy posted:

Yeah we do have bunch of tools and we have bunch of tools in development as well. We also have time dedicated for each programmer to just sit and fiddle around, improve etc. I usually use that to implement much needed tools and modding stuff. Like in CK2 we have a -debugscripts flag which enables error messages for scripts that is on by default in development mode which can be used by modders. Think Stellaris also stolen that feature but not 100%. I implemented that because I got tired of modders asking me "why does this script not work?"
Stellaris stole(?) -script_debug functionality and it's great, but be careful about giving people the impression that we have tools, Groogy. When it comes to actually producing content for our games, modders use (and have created) much more efficient and flexible tools than anything we've ever even thought of in-house.

LordMune fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 19, 2017

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Jazerus posted:

Victoria: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

Victoria: Victorian Forces IV: Victorian Knight III: Victorian Outcast 2: Victorian Academy

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Internally content designers are referred to as "CDs" for short, which works because we're Cool Dudes

Edit: to actually contribute, any text (any at all) you see in our games will have been written or at least edited by a Content Designer.

Well, that's, uh, the idea anyway.

LordMune fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 31, 2018

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

I've mentioned applicants being goons in at least one recruitment process in the past (perhaps when we hired Archangel?) and it's always awkward trying to explain the whole extremely online extremely has-been comedy forum thing

IIRC our manager thought "goon" was some kind of slur at first :shobon:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Fantasy city builder? Not "medieval", I mean with like dragons and poo poo

It has a name and it is Majesty

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

I'd be all over a, uh, Futsuuken Densetsu

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

I ducked out of the hall for a sec, did we settle on "Imperat" or "Rome" for the title

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Yeah that's real helpful. Was it imperat or rome

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

"Letting the player reform into a different, ahistorical form of government for fun" and "doing justice to a radically different time in history" are two very different things

(Disclaimer: I am not on the Imperator team.)

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Consolations (phone autocorrected to this twice so it stays) Ofaloaf!

I'm trying to remember who's starting next month... I think you might do some work on Stellaris! Maybe?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

it's handled like a sound effect in code ok :mad:

but you're right :mad:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

He's good at his job so he moved higher up the (streaming) command chain.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Yep, if they balance according to multiplayer clashes they have in the office they definitely should try to balance it a bit.

We don't.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Koramei posted:

I 110% understand why they don't, but my ideal response would be to constantly highlight the German war crimes and atrocities.

On the flip side of the coin, then we'd have Nazis furiously masturbating over the game (more than they already are).

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

no

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

I gave up working on our cool space game to be content design lead on CK3 you guys better like it!!

Should be easy enough though it's gonna be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

We can't really import ready-made features from CK2 DLCs, partly due to prohibitive technical differences, but mostly due to subtle (and not so subtle) design changes between the two games. As correctly assumed above I can't go into details at this stage, but we're both aware of the inevitable CK2 comparisons and dedicated to making the best and most cohesive base game possible (which is often antithetical to just cramming in content, but there will still be some crammin').

It'll be bigger than CK2 was at launch, let's put it that way for now.