Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
On those HOI4 national focus trees, doe anyone know what the difference between a dotted line and a solid line is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Just please add a national focus tree for Germany where time travelers eliminate Hitler from existence.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Empress Theonora posted:

I like how his "yourself as a Victoria POP" issues include like no issues from the actual game, but I guess "moralism" and "jingoism" don't sound as cool.

EDIT: Hard science fiction can be cool, but if you have FTL you're already in the realm of "basically magic" and how "hard" or "soft" your setting is becomes mostly about aesthetics or what kind of story you want to tell and mood you want to evoke.

My favorite part about Victoria POP signatures is how they almost always have themselves with maxed out consciousness.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Cross-posting from Wiz's twitter: Fascist Bhutan is called the 'Thunder Dragon Empire'.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
There's probably something wrong with me because I played EU3 and HOI3 on launch and didn't really notice anything bad.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
From today's World War Wednesday stream:

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Sub-species stuff looks amazing.

quote:

A new subspecies that is stronger and more formidable than their parent species may eventually come to see themselves as… superior. Why should they bow down to their lessers? Meanwhile, the unmodified members of the parent species often come to regard a subspecies with jealousy and suspicion. Fear of that which is different has been a driving force in the creation of conflicts since the dawn of this galaxy, and the creation of a subspecies can often be followed by civil strife and unrest.

Can't wait to have a genetic civil war.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
:negative: I can't download the patch because I bought V2 on Gamersgate.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Victoria 2 + All DLC is available for $9.99 right now on Steam.

Most other paradox games are on sale, too. Winter sale!

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I see that Stellaris now features literal Space Fascists.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
That actually makes me wonder if a MSF/Diamond Dogs mod would work where you just use the expeditionary forces mechanic to fight in other people's wars for profit.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
:helladid:

It's been such a long time since I actually played EU:R, but the senate stuff worked real nicely with the CK-style characters to have things going on within your own empire. It also was a pretty nice feedback system that rewarded/penalized you for how you balanced your empire. Imagine mixing CKII characters with EU4 estates and Victoria's political parties.

Enjoy posted:

I think it's mostly nostalgia for an old forum game Wiz was involved in, goons roleplayed senators and formed political factions

also this, tbh. I'm very guilty of this myself, to the point where every once in a while I get a strong urge to mod one of the latest Paradox games to put in Cretan politics. Populists forever!

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

vyelkin posted:

One question for any Stellaris devs in here, since in a federation there's a shared military, what happens if you leave a federation? Does the federation keep all the ships and armies and you have to start from scratch? Do you get a proportionate share of the military in your newly independent military?

Dev Diary posted:

Another interesting feature of Federations is that they have a special joint space navy in addition to the forces of the separate member empires. The Federation president gets to design these ship templates using all the best technologies of all the member empires. The president also gets to control these fleets, of course

It sounds like the Federation military is separate from the military forces that the individual member states control. So you'd keep the navy you have, if you've been maintaining your own.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

quote:

A slide from this portion of King's talk has been circulated widely online with no surrounding context. Many seem to assume that the talk was about how the games medium could best be leveraged to promulgate communism.

Oh hey, I took this picture! It's kind of fun seeing the places it's turned up and what kind of things people think goes on at GDC.

Yeah, the actual context of that was explaining how you could script the Victoria 2 AI to actually colonize Africa. Marx's analysis happens to make a very straightforward and systematic explanation for why imperialism happens, and so makes a good basis for gameplay.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Kersch posted:

JURY DUTY NO

On the plus side, you don't have to go to work or whatever and if you don't get picked you'll probably not even be there that long.

Comedy option: bring your laptop to the courthouse and play HoI4 in the juror waiting room. (There is a lot of waiting involved in jury duty)

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

ExtraNoise posted:

It really is, don't worry, I'm coming at it from that point of view. It definitely won't be a game for super-serious modern day geopolitical gamin'. It's going to be a mod where the US invades Mexico because why not.

Is it going to be before or after the 2016 US Presidential Election?

Basically what I'm asking is if there will be the option to play President Trump

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

EDIT: Are there any examples of the symbol being used today?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Yeah, turns out there's a lot of it. Check out the wikipedia article for even more examples. These are just a few.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Give Rome 2 a co-op mode that lets people play competing dynasties/factions within a country.

Then run a giant Crete MP game.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Make Rome II about the downfall of Rome

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Enjoy posted:

It should just be on a left/right axis with a HoI4 style country law idea controlling the formal country name/head of state IMO (eg abolishing and restoring monarchies is done like changing a recruitment law in HoI4)

Maybe 5 ideologies (Far Left / Centre-Left / Centrist / Centre-Right / Far Right) with the game engine giving the ability to set up coalitions between the ideologies for elections and rebellions. Names of ideologies within a country are defined by history files.

Ah yes, a 5 ideology system would work perfectly. How about :

Far Left (Populist), Centre-Left (Civic), Centrist (Mercantile), Centre-Right (Religious), Far-Right (Militarist)

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Rome II but it's actually an mmo where each player plays a senator like Wiz's Crete LP.

Or a Crusader Kings mmo

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Until just now I always saw it as like this deformed hand/claw thing.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/961601637361037312

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
On one hand I can't help but be a little disappointed that it's not Vic 3. On the other hand :helladid:

Anyway my one hope is that the senate mechanics are back and that the Populists are obnoxious. If the Populists are not sufficiently obnoxious I will make a mod that makes them so

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Jesus was a Populist

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I hope the game lets the player re-name geographic features in their own incorrect way. "Mare Populi"

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Seeing that owl on a flag is giving me flashbacks to ancient flagchat

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

The dev diary posted:

Each individual pop has its own religion, culture and happiness . So yes, there are minorities in Imperator!

:getin: This sure is a pop

Takanago fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 25, 2018

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Is the term "Mana" better than or worse than "Bonii" and "Malii"

Takanago fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 25, 2018

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I want a reboot for Balance of Power.

But not the 1985 video game, instead the forum games based on it.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
The real key part of this dev diary is that we'll be able to mod in custom factions. :helladid:

Now when I make a Crete mod I'll be able to represent factional politics in their true glory:

Okay well maybe not all of that, but at least the standard/radicalized version of each party, crypto-populists and anti-populists, and of course sons of zeus...

Autonomous Monster posted:

I'd side-eyeing that penalty for having dominant populists. So, the faction empowered by discontent, the iconoclasts, the ones least married to the status quo... are the party least capable of changing things? :thunk:

If they had to have a penalty, maybe an increase in global corruption gain?

Maybe it's just the fact that everybody hates the Populists so much that all the landowners and people in charge oppose everything they try to do and make it more difficult to get things done.

That was my experience at least when Populists were in charge. :v:

Takanago fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 20, 2018

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Yeah even I think I'd have a hard time figuring out how to justify a No vote against that.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
If Populism is wrong then I don't want to be right

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

creamcorn posted:

Who's everyone excited to play as besides the big boys in Imperator? I really want to try out a bunch of the Magna Graecia states, I think Massalia would be a really intriguing start.

:helladid:

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Okay, what is it that makes particular areas “thunderdomes” in Paradox games? I get that it means there’s going to be a lot of war there but what kind of factors actually go into that? Is it multiple countries with claims on each other? A lack of a single clear hegemon?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I’ve only seen video of it, but there’s an old Japanese city builder series that basically has a lot of political and detailed stuff. It’s a city builder set on a space colony (the kind that’s a city in a space station) and is themed around Japanese city politics, I think? It’s real neat but it’s probably a slog to play by modern standards. From what I understand you also get to control some real fine details about how the space colony is run, too, like scheduling spaceflights to Earth/the moon, and even set artificial day/night and weather schedules(?)

https://youtu.be/CzPVtd3MzMc

https://youtu.be/5dEVar8E3Ro

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I will buy it day one then immediately start working on a mod to make Populists as annoying as possible

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Groogy posted:

no need they already are :helladid:

Excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I want a French Revolution sim that goes back and forth between the French Republican calendar and Gregorian calendar depending on context