Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bel Monte posted:

I'm okay with this suddenly.
I would seriously enjoy a good WoD game these days.

Old WoD's storylines/lore weren't that bad at all. Can't speak really on mechanics though.
The New WoD was pretty boring and uninspiring though to me. It pretty much sucked out any drive I feel players would have. They went from a meta story with major goals to... "Hey, we're like, vampires or werewolves or some poo poo. It's cool I guess. We're people too, if you think about it." Yawn. You have awesome powers. Why isn't there meta politics or some poo poo going on?

Maybe I was reading the wrong excerpts. I just couldn't see the appeal though. Never had the full book for any of the new WoD. I totally bought Old WoD books for the lore alone, which says a lot I feel.

Yeah, you read the wrong books, but I can understand where you are coming from. A major shift in nWOD design was not having major canon truths (like the Cain or Wyrm things), replacing them with different contradictory myths, and the politics mostly shifted to regional/city level instead of global conspiracies - and the books are full of awesome local stuff and conflicts -, which gives the whole thing a different flavour. It makes for a less interesting read, since there isn't a huge metaplot to piece together from the supplements, but works better as a toolset for GMs wanting to do their own thing.

The mechanics are also a lot better, so much that I use the nWOD ruleset when the nostalgia grips me and I need to revisit Masquerade. There's an official translation guide for the rules too, so it is not exactly an uncommon thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Is there an official estimate of when Stellaris is coming out? 2016 or 2017? A quarter or season or whatever? Or has Paradox adopted Valve Time as the standard since HOI IV?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

vyelkin posted:

Actually Stellaris came out in February 2016 and I've been playing it and it's good.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's actually not that great.

I read the first post and I was persuaded, but then I saw the second and I am now in doubt?

Help me, goons?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Agean90 posted:

Latin? In depth racial pseudoscience mechanics for Vicky 3 confirmed

No, Latin means Creative Assembly will buy Paradox in the IPO and force them to build subsystems for Total War games forever.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

pdxjohan posted:

I still think it should have been an optional 39.99$ dlc, so it would be priced like a 'true' wargame.

But then you'd have to make HoI4 into a true wargame instead of the Call of Duty Expandalone you've got.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fintilgin posted:

I think I'd like to see a HOI4 alt history that was more like Europa Gooniversalis. Split up into more balanced states that see warfare in all sorts of non traditional spots. Paradox game themed, so... Byzantium, Norse Vinland, Aztecs, Al Andlus, Old Great Bulgaria mixed up with Imperial Britain, the North German Federation, Italy, and Zulu with fighter planes.

Like, just goofy and fun without worrying about a profound or plausible backatory. :lol:

A thousand times this.

Back in the LP Kabal there was talk of making a Clash of LPs scenario, Jerusalem Vs Texas Vs Ghana Vs Hohengermany Vs Byzantium Vs Neubauten Vs Gothia Vs Afghanistan Vs Scandinavia, with the rest of the world populated with allies and enemies of said nations, but making scenarios for Hearts of Iron 4 seems like a pain in the rear end in general.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Koramei posted:

I'm gonna quote this here because I know some people that play EU4 read this thread and not the EU4 one and I spent forever on this:

e: thanks Paradox devs by the way for making it super easy to tie these to the Asian graphics. I thought I'd have to have them overwrite the Euro portraits and toggle it on/off whenever I played an Asian team but it was pretty effortless to get it to work great :)

This is awesome, great job!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Steam Stats are mostly benign, this is indeed suspicious and it is most likely to have greater control of the data provided to shareholders.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mans posted:

it's kinda hilarious how paradox and CA fans go through the same mental process:

Game is yet to be released - "yeah of course the game will be released full of bugs, it's completely expected that it'll get patched and developed over time"

Game announces DLC even before it's released - "it's their standard pratice, it allows them to create more revenue and stimulates development even after the game is officialy released"

Game is actually released - "this is a buggy piece of poo poo i am completely dissapointed with the company how coul they do this to us when, why would i play this when i have **insert game with literal years of patches, DLC and mods** in my library?"

DLC is announced - "and of course the DLC comes out before the game is even playable! What a loving rip off"

That's a poor comparison, because Total Warhammer had a stellar release and Attila was also great despite optimization problems and I never saw anyone talk about the lack of content in any of those games. Empire and Rome 2 were the only TW games that were "buggy-piece-of-poo poo" on release and I've been playing this series since Rome 1. Also Paradox doesn't do pre-release DLC like CA does, which is the crux of pre-release criticism aimed at recent Total Wars.

It is also disconnected from reality, both CK2 and EU4 were well-received on release in a way Stellaris simply wasn't (of course, some of their DLCs didn't have the same level of quality control). The first time anyone has made the comparison with earlier games with years of content was with Stellaris' release.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I didn't like Fallout 4, but that is really the wrong example of a game people won't spend a straight year of their life playing.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm really wanting to pick this up but after getting personally burned by Stellaris I'm a bit paradox-shy.
Reading things like it's always better to just build military factories in the long run and a few other balance quirks in the game make me a bit sad. I really like the hoi games for their crazy alt-history. Should I try now or wait for the first patches/dlc and hopefully Kaiserriech?

HOI4 came out in much better shape than Stellaris and is a good game. That said, it never hurts to get into a Paradox game a year from release.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm kind of curious as to what Paradox's expansion model for HoI4 will be like. Their other games are fairly obvious, there were/are a plethora of areas for CK2, EU4, and Stellaris to grow in, but WWII is a pretty well-defined thing and there are only so many ways you can expand on that specific conflict while still maintaining a balanced, cohesive product. Like, I can see one major WWII-focused expansion, maybe two tops. I wonder if they're going to start getting into alt-history stuff.

Espionage DLC is another obvious one, along with a WW1 scenario.

Gameplay overhauls with some DLC-only systems like EU4 are other candidates. These are the most dangerous for a cohesive, balanced product, so I hope that only comes up late in the game's lifeline.

Specific scenarios like HoI2 and DH had as well, possibly expanding the techtree for them. Probably nothing hilarious like the Arab-Israeli wars in HOI2, but something like scenarios for Russian Civil War, Korean War or Operation Unthinkable are good candidates.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I'd gladly pay 10 bucks for an expansion that's a professionaly made alt-history scenario on the level of HOI2/DH Kaiserreich. Given how I literally bought Darkest Hour to play Kaiserreich that's exactly what I did.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Darkrenown posted:

I never got into the witcher 2 because the tutorial bugged out both times I tried it :shrug:

Well, if we are being fair in comparisons Witcher 2 came at around the same period as Victoria 2, which had - and has - its own set of problems. Both Paradox and CDPR learned a lot since then, and have developed bigger warchests to be capable of delaying releases until they are ready.

A contemporary comparison would be between the releases of the Witcher 3 and Stellaris and Hearts of Iron IV.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

corn in the bible posted:

Victoria 2 is better than The Witcher 2

Victoria 2 is barely functional, and I say that as someone who throughly enjoyed it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Also Witcher 3 was crazy buggy and crashes on release and bricked a few video cards even (some screens wouldn't limit framerate at all and you'd hear your video card fan start going nuts while reading books or stuff like that), so it's kind of a bad comparison anyway. Didn't have a single problem with HOI4 on release other than the AI and lesser bugs.

I played the day of release and had a pretty smooth experience, don't even have a very powerful computer, so calling it crazy buggy sounds a tad melodramatic.

HOI 4 had a pretty good release and I'd call it a fun wargame - making good (and fun) AI for a strategy game is a very difficult thing, so I wouldn't hold that against Paradox -, unlike Stellaris which ran out of singleplayer content after a few hours despite a very promising early game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Phi230 posted:

Considering PDox's latest track record I think a moratorium on new games for a while is necessitated

Let's not be too harsh. I was fully expecting HoI4 to be a shitshow based on previews and how boring Stellaris turned out to be, but it turned out to be a pretty cool game at the end. It suffers from not being really difficult once you figure out the mechanics and the AI's quirks unless you're doing a challenge run, but that applies to pretty much every game in Paradox' ouvré and most strategy games.

A CK3 would be very much appreciated, if only to do a clean up of how bloated CK2 has become with tacked-on mechanics.

Vicky 3 would also be great, V2 is a wildly ambitious game and probably the most interesting one PDX has made, but suffers from having a lot of core systems that simply don't work very well. Giving it a level of evolution like we saw between Hearts of Iron 3 and 4 would be ideal, rather than the more careful EU3 to EU4 upgrade.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Enjoy posted:

I put in an application but didn't even get to an interview :(

I imagine you didn't enjoy that.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

My complaint about Pillars of Eternity is that the writing felt more interested in world building than in building an interesting narrative, to the point where I can only name like Raedric and most party-members when remembering the game. It is a cool world, mind, so I am looking forward to the tabletop adaptation more than I am to a PoE2.

Also the combat felt boring to me, and there was too much of it. Apart from that it graphically beautiful and mechanically well-made.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Only way to win NWO is to balkanize India and China before they can suck up the world's industry. Making them communist also works.

Sounds historical.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jazerus posted:

The only thing I lament is an apparent lack of MiscMods-style alternate scenarios. Those were great for shaking things up if you got sick of the historical map while remaining recognizable.

Yeah, the problem with those is that you have to semi re-do the mod for pretty much every major update, and EU4 is three years old now, so while those mods do get done, they are likely to just die a quiet death in or two updates, as the modders move on with their lives.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Also, don't worry so much about it, most DLCs in EU4 just add extra buttons on the interface and some events. Play the base game, figure out what you like about it, then see which DLC adds buttons that would improve your experience.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Åland kind of looks like Taiwan if you're very creative and need to visit an ophthalmologist.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pretty borders are the point of playing map games.

The great war in HoI4 is pretty good sex with a lousy orgasm at the end that somehow leaves you unfulfilled and ashamed.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

And you can form it as Iraq by becoming a Great Power. Good luck.

Get ready, Paradox, there's a contender for your crown of manifest destiny simulators.

Will Russia once again save us from the terror of a Swedish Empire?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Groogy posted:

Too bad it's Single player only, would love to play Animeland with some bunch of goons.

Animeland Vs Roman Empire Vs Zeus Vs Gran Taco Vs Indian Springs. Now that is a match for the ages.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Groogy posted:

I think we can learn a great deal from this developer. We need some of these tags in our own games.

Looking forward to the HoI4 patchnotes.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Crusader Kings 1 was non-ironically the most fun I've had in a Paradox game and I don't think a single thing worked right in there other than that sound when you clicked the shield icon.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

You joke, but making CK1 and EU3 work in multiplayer was a character building experience.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

When EU4 came out it was pretty much EU3.5. Or EU3.75 depending on how you feel about the state of the game when Divine Wind came. The series has been really iterative in its design between the last two games and their expansions.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I dunno, cultures are one thing; unless they're literally wiping out the natives like they did with the colonization stuff the fake people are still there, just culturally different.

Also important; they are people and not robots or aliens.

Reminder that culture shifting in EU3 was called Settlement Policy and had the below effects, and as far as I know the only instances where it historically happened during this period were when the local population was displaced, genocided or converted to a different religion through force. It is just sanitized now.

code:
"While unpopular both locally and abroad, an active settlement policy vis-à-vis this province will bring it into our cultural sphere within fifty years or so."
Lose 3 magistrates and 2 colonists
Add the province modifier Settlement Policy, giving the following effects indefinitely (or until the policy succeeds or is canceled)
-0.5 colonists/year
-0.1 magistrates/year
+8 local revolt risk
+0.1 infamy per year
+10% population growth

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

YF-23 posted:

Yeah, in EU3 it was called Settlement Policy and was pretty directly about displacing the actual native population of the province it affected, but the way it interacts with gameplay in EU4 suggest that province culture represents the culture of the local government/elites (and possibly stuff like what language is used by local government etc.) rather than the general population of the province. Especially since you're spending diplomatic power for it rather than administrative - it is an act of negotiation that is closer to making formal agreements with another authority more than anything else. And by doing that, by bringing the local elite into the fold or replacing them with those of your cultural background, you deprive would-be malcontents among the general population of things like higher connections, legitimate figureheads to rally around and so forth. So I think you can interpret it that way and it works a lot better in terms of making sense out of the game world than treating it as a genocide button.

Except culture shifting removes the possibility of Separatist rebels, and having local elites affiliated with the Imperial power is not something that removes a people's desire for self-determination, as was the case in, say, Ireland or Greece, making it a core is more like replacing or gaining the loyalty of local potentates. It is not really a stretch to regard it as a genocide (cultural or ethnic) button given the practices of the period represented in the game. Integrating a people in the game is called "Accepted Culture" after all, but again, the fiction of the game is built by those who play it when the language of the mechanics leaves it open to interpretation. In my headcanon it is an evident genocide button.

Just saying that the promised population policies in Stellaris are not really out of the norm for their historical games. You can't do much worse than winning WW2 as Hitler or profiting from the transatlantic slave trade.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Stairmaster posted:

double edit: all the loading art is paintings of elderly eastern europeans playing the game on their computers

You mean Merkel and Obama?

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/170411386767348116/3DB7506EDF8B9B58EE0766569C526C5C2A881476/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/170411386767347524/FDC6AD610648173701D2EF421C3ACBBEBE3DBB70/

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Having done the tutorials, have to say it is not nearly as janky as the Supreme Ruler games, though clearly not as refined as Paradox more recent releases. It is definitely more gamey than simulationey and has a lot of moving pieces. Further report after doing one of the scenarios.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

yeah, the more complex and interesting a paradox game is, the more cpu it uses. so stellaris should be fine

:iceburn:

Trip report, playing as Germany I forgave Greece's debt, gave everyone free internet education, allied Poland and Ukraine, formed a bloc with Switzerland, Netherlands and Austria, helped an anti-authoritarian motion pass in the UN, failed to pass an anti-nuclear proliferation treaty. Then Russia attacked Poland. I got Russia in the ropes, so they nuked Berlin and tanked my attack power (and increased their belligerence and brought the world closer to nuclear winter), so I peaced out liberating Kalingrad and... St. Petersburg as democracies.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Phlegmish posted:

So is it actually a fun game to play or is it another Steppe Wolf that got on Steam?

I had fun from the demo and am looking forward to the full release, like I said it is not nearly as bad as Supreme Ruler or Steppe Wolfe, though it has a fair amount of Eastern European jank and it is not as refined as CK2 or EU4. I really recommend doing the tutorial because while it uses a formula evidently derived from Paradox games it turns some assumptions on its head. The projects, task and bloc systems are essential to understanding how the game works, and it is much more gamist than simulationist in design. One major difference that I liked is that war is way more abstracted, you essentially assign units to a campaign and then order operations which uses and targets different units, providing or losing you warscore based on their success, which works, since the focus of the game is on geopolitics.

Germany and Russia got a lot of custom events during the demo, but they are probably some of the more content heavy countries and were deliberately chosen for this. I played through the Germany scenario, which tasks you with forming a Germanic Bloc and containing Russia as its main goals. It is definitely rough around the edges, the UI could use some work and the five years allowed in the demo while full are certainly not enough to assess the quality of a grand strategy game (See: Stellaris), so it is very possible that its systems break down on the long term and the jank wins over the mechanics, but appears to be a respectable effort from a new studio and I am glad to see new ideas being brought to this genre. I'll be likely buying it on the 16th and will drop fuller impressions when my schedule permits, provided it is not considered off-topic for this thread.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

How does it compare to POWER AND REVOLUTION

Haven't played it, so I'll leave that one for you. C'mon, I know you like your jank, do it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Stairmaster posted:

realpolitik will be out in less than an hour...

I will jump right into the fantasy scenario and conquer the world as Animeland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Agean90 posted:

shove dudes into the front, pick operations based on how many dudes you have (ie use armor if you have more than your opponent) i think

i found a time machine while playing as africola in the 2200 scenario. the dude i sent back got a sega genisis with a copy of sonic the hedgehog this game is bonkers in a good way

Build loads of planes, spam air superiority until there are no more planes on the enemy side, then bomb their tanks (forgot the name of the op), and then just win in ops where they can't fulfill the requirements because they have no tanks. Pretty easy if you can afford the airforce and I suppose kind of how it's been working out since the Gulf Wars?