Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Quixzlizx posted:

Does Paradox put their WWW streams on Youtube anywhere? I didn't see them in their HOI IV playlist or as a separate playlist.

You want the Paradox Extra channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I wish I had it in me to believe that's a serious post.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Hahah holy gently caress that post was serious. :aaaaa:

Get a pair of eyes.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Bundle of Keys posted:

It's a picture of a horse? :confused:

This joke has gotten old already, it's clearly a cow or zebra.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I played HoI3 loads with NATO counters and didn't mind them at all.

It is far too funny somebody thought the horse icon could be a cow, zebra or elephant to pass up the comedy posts however.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Amazing how this thread keeps bitching about people who want NATO counters like some loving boogeyman.

There's bitching, then there's standard goon poo poo talking. :regd08:

Lots of time left though, still funny though keep it up guys.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Haha ruined what the gently caress get some perspective.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Takanago posted:

Make Rome II about the downfall of Rome

But CK2 and EU4 already cover that time period?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Paradox seems a cool place, they should open an office near me so I can apply without moving to Sweden. :(

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Mobile doesn't necessarily mean free-to-play, it'd have to be a big departure in style from the existing grand strategy games to work with that. It's a pretty core component of mobile free-to-play design that your core gameplay loop lasts around 30 seconds to 1 minute (minimum gameplay time required to achieve something in a single session) which doesn't really fit any of the existing grand strategy games PDX make.

'Reign' (paid app) is pretty clearly influenced by the success of CK2, it's a pretty good attempt at bring the concept to a mobile. Take what makes CK2 unique (events, traits, decision making and hilarious consequences) and leave the rest out.

I wouldn't have a problem with a free-to-play style PDX game and would definitely play it, but I'm probably not unbiased because I work in mobile games thus consist of pure evil and want to steal your money.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Two secret paradox titles are codenamed Hadrian and Titus.

So... obviously Rome 2 and Rome 3.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Seriously though, it is interesting that since Stellaris was Project Augustus and if they are going in order of Emperors, that means there's 8 potential titles before whatever Henrik (Hadrian) is now working on and 3 more before whatever John Schafer's new team (Titus) is working on.

I'd assume a lot of those are mini-prototypes that get shelved early on, but still fun 'fact'.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Yet again goons are confused by seeing a face that isn't their own reflected in their monitor, "Why isn't he emoting like my favourite anime? Based on the expression he must be a serial killer".

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Obviously you guys missed the discussion about Wiz pulling a serial killer face that went on in the Stellaris thread for like 5 pages.

Seriously, that's just regular resting face though.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
It's ok I've got like 30 posts in 8 years so just deal with it for today guys.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Soup du Journey posted:

i dunno if i'd call it virtuous to change your mind about a price gouge. p sure they're just rolling back because their messaging was off-point

It's hardly a price gouge to make those with lower value currency pay the equivalent price to others.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
They didn't communicate the fact they were raising prices for all titles in countries wither weaker currencies at all, so got a lot of backlash. They've since rescinded the price increase, nothing to do with DLC really.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I'm sorry that I'm the one to bring this up again, but I am genuinely wondering who at Paradox thinks the whole 'stare blankly directly at the camera and talk in monotone from the shadows' is a good look. It's clearly deliberate direction at this point because Jake and Wiz are great on stream but actively make me stop watching the expansion promo videos.

The whole point of putting people in these things is to help people connect and relate to them, nobody sits down, turns out the light and stares at somebody while talking in a monotone voice for 5 minutes and holds attention.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

That sounds boring as gently caress so I don't think you practice what you preach here.

This is funny because he's describing basically how all the other Paradox games are.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean if you have never played one sure.

You can disagree I guess but EU is literally a board game with more moving parts due to being on PC.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well yes if you isolate one phrase that could work.

I will use the whole post tho personally.

Sorry you think meaningful input and decisions are boring?

There's no other points in the post other than not having millions of pops.

So 2/3?

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Congrats on describing most strategy games and many RPGs.

Yep that was the point.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah having the ability to do that in everything is terribly boring. It's one of the problems I have with Civ which seems to be the game that the op wants.

I don't even know what to say to that. So I guess I'm done.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Next up in Stellaris 2.1: Make combat use nato symbols so it’s not too believable

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Good luck! If only I could bring myself to up sticks and move to another country!

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm pretty sure that by a month out from the con last year, we knew what mod teams would be present and at least some seminars and such. To be fair, I also recall a couple sessions being 'TBA' up until like an hour before they were supposed to begin.

Isn’t there new game(s?) being announced this year though, compared to none last year?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Groogy posted:

How about "Paradox Grand Strategy: That's not the real Vicky 3!"

Victoria: One confirmed.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Kanthulhu posted:

When is the announcement?

Looks like 12:30 - May 20th.

May 20 - 12:30 - https://pdxcon.paradoxplaza.com/agenda posted:

New Title from PDS - TBA at PDXCON
Seminar will not be streamed - Exclusively for PDXCON visitors

Johan Andersson
EVP Creative Director, Paradox Development Studio

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Diocletian confirmed.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I don’t want to be the guy in the meme, but posting that on your main twitter feed... there’s surely gonna be a huge backlash if it’s not Vicky 3.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Today’s teaser:

“There is no Norway on the map....”

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I’m the guy who would prefer it to be Rome (maybe with Vicky pops) so let’s hope so!

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I think Johan is doing a PDXCon exclusive look at Imperator right now, so hopefully we should get some more details coming through in the next hour or so.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

dead comedy forums posted:

that map makes me pumped for whatever comes next after clausewitz tbqh

Pretty sure the only way you’ll ever get after Clausewitz is if paradox goes bust / stops making map games entirely.

This is probably like Clausewitz 28.9 by now.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83FxSUjDvjc

Johan's short talk from PDX con on Imperator.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Today’s dev diary:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-2-4th-of-june-2018.1103329/

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

Honestly, I don't know why infrastructure is on the provincial level. Do I really need to know that Rome has a winery but Ostia doesn't?

I assume this comes into the reasoning where Johan said (and does not elaborate on) that more provinces somehow makes peacetime gameplay more fun.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

axeil posted:

So one thing I'm worried/concerned about for Imperator is the combat itself. Every other Paradox game (save HOI) it's just "biggest stack wins" with no real concern about any tactics. HOI is a little more nuanced but it's still fairly simple.

But in the ancient world your tactical skill really mattered. Will we be able to re-create Roman idiocy at Cannae and Carrhae? Can we also handle Hannibal's genius in his Italian campaign? Or Caesar at Alesia? These are battles that I think the Paradox-style of combat doesn't work since the victory was more due to tactical genius/blunder than any sort of strategic advantage/disadvantage.

Or what about army composition? Phalanxes vs the Roman Maniple vs Parthian horse archers vs Gallic cavalry are all very different kind of fights and would've seen different sorts of outcomes just in terms of casualties.

What about terrain and surprise attacks? The Romans may have prevailed at the Teutoburg Forest if there wasn't all that swamp and bad terrain for a Roman Legion to fight in. They also may have fared better if they hadn't been constantly harassed and ambushed, making them unable to get organized.

quote:

Battle Tactics: Choose your approach before battle to counter the stratagems of your foes.

Military Traditions: Each culture has a unique way of waging war. Romans and Celts have different options available to them. Unlock unique bonuses, abilities and units.

You can see the selectable tactics at the top left in this screen, quite a few are greyed out presumably from culture/tech.

I don't think they'd put that kind of system in if it wasn't meaningful.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-4-18th-of-june-2018.1106133/

Today’s dev diary, not much info particularly but seems to confirm its EU combat with more focus on countering opposing unit types.

Not sure what units being able to Assault means, maybe attacking cities.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Making posts takes too many pointless clicks, it should be optimised so that it takes at most one click.

I shouldn’t have to click twice just to do a standard shitpost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Today’s Rome dev diary

I mean sure I guess, buildings do stuff. I would really like to read about the reasons why things are the way they are instead of just a list of irrelevant numbers.