Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
You're missing the Hoi4 screenshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I don't think we really need those tidbits about Crusader Kings I and any game that has a current sequel out. Plus no one remembers or cares about MM at this point.

Maybe keep Darkest Hour for now since people still play Kaiserreich

DH is still the best HOI game out.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

There is always occasional discussion of Distant Worlds whenever Stellaris is mentioned. Is that a game worth playing? I've always been interested in it, but I've always been a bit hesitant to sign up for a Matrix game since I'm particularly into their other titles.

It's largely impenetrable and your initial reaction is accurate.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Farecoal posted:

I've never heard of Rule the Waves before, is it any good? It seems like a cool concept

It's very good.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Decrepus posted:

Why did they ever put turrets on the side though.

Dreadnought can fire 6 guns fore and aft and has an 8 gun broadside. Without superfiring turrets you need wing turrets to bring your broadside up to weight and superfiring turrets were a non-starter until the USA proved the turrets wouldn't destroy each other. With no wing turrets/superfiring you would only be able to bring 2 guns to bear during pursuit which isn't acceptable.

Your other option besides the dreadnought arrangement would be cross deck fire like indefatigable where all your guns are engaged in a broadside but that has it's own set of problems.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
In AI War the AI getting smarter/gaining new abilities is one of the primary things that happens when the difficulty goes up.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dongattack posted:

How long does your typical HoI3 game take in realtime? Just interesting in seeing if it's shorter than other Paradox games.

~20 minutes to download/install
~3-5 minutes for first launch
~1 minute to switch resolution away from 1024x768
~1 minute to select my nation/game settings
~3 minutes to look at the OoB, tech tree, economy and decide I'd rather just play something else after all

Only Sengoku can really rival HoI3 for me in average time per session.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Another Person posted:

i learned how to viccy 2

I got involved with some dumb brotherhood wars between Austria and Prussia. Is Prussia always such a wet blanket in this game? I sat back and watched mostly, but occasionally jumped in when Prussia seemed to keep getting caught with their pants down. It was Austria with no allies and Prussia with me. Prussia lost. 3 times.

Release it as a puppet and then immediately lose control of it when it rockets to the 3rd GP slot in about 2 weeks.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Gamerofthegame posted:

Vicky 3 won't actually have provinces, but instead it'll be various regions and you can apply power to fronts in these regions (or at sea) during war time.

Your green lines will gradually become more swole and beat into their red lines.

Yes.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Neopie posted:

Okay. SO I just got EU4, complete with every expansion.

I've played CK2, so I have a bit of a reference for a lot of things, but, um, where's a good starting country for simplicity?

Spain, portugal, England, Sweden.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

BgRdMchne posted:

The lesson here is to not let your badboy go over the limit.

BB doesn't really matter as long as you're strong enough. China can ignore BB from basically day 1, my Germany games often end with 600+ BB since the AI judges it suicidal to attack after you reach a certain point of being stronger than them.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Maybe if Pdox's forums would actually let me see the Vicky II mod forums again maybe I'd check it out.

I have no clue as to why I can't access it. I used to be able to no problem.

Did you attach your old pdox account to your new one / did it transfer your v2 license when you did?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Can I play as a leader from the We Are The World submissions in Stellaris/HoI4/Rome 2?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

-It's hard to look at any of the alliances or invasion targets picked by the Germans or Japanese and say "oh that was a resource move" I think.

The entire Pacific War was a resource move. You could probably make the argument that the entire war was, German industry ran on resources stolen from France and Eastern Europe for years longer than it otherwise would have.

In fact it's hard to think of a significant number of engagements where anyone retreated or didn't press an advantage primarily because of fuel. IDK- maybe there was some naval battle in the Pacific that had that issue?

Lack of resources is a strategic problem, not a tactical one. Here's a really simple, obvious example of how lack of resources affected the war: pilot training. Both Japan and Germany had catastrophic shortages of well-trained pilots because they simply couldn't afford to waste fuel giving them hours up in the air. 1940-1942 the average luftwaffe pilot had 200-300+ hours training in actual planes that flew. By 1944 a fighter pilot could be on the front lines with less than 100 hours flight time. There's a million more examples from sub-par steel in both Germany and Japan causing vehicles to underperform to engagements simply not happening because Japan couldn't afford to move ships.

It was, as nominally was Germany's lebensraum- but the actual war decisions really didn't do much in that regard. Japan had Manchuria and barely exploited it - resource wise at least. Diqing oil field wasn't discovered until 1959. Then Japan spends a bunch of energy and manpower fighting a very broad front war against China, and when they start looking at the South Pacific they don't really bee-line to Indonesia to get what oil's there. Similarly, Romania doesn't join the Axis until November of 1940, and it wasn't like Hitler was clamoring to force them in either. Instead, Hitler's focused on invading Norway for...dubious reasons. Basically, little of the war plays out as a focused or even determined grab for resources.

e- basically in the long run (as in for decades or generations to come) Germany and Japan were concerned about expanding their own resources and oil. But they didn't look at their war-plans as "ok we grab this area here then we have the oil then we can keep going but otherwise we're really screwed and we won't be able to sail our ships tomorrow."

Oil isn't the only resource in the world worth going to war over. Germany invaded Denmark and Norway to secure iron and to prevent the British from invading to cut off those iron supplies. The Ukraine is incredibly rich and was stripped of anything valuable and the attempted invasion of the Caucuses was famously a drive for oil.

Manchuria is incredibly rich in natural resources and produced tons of minerals that would promptly be shipped back to Japan, most notably tens of millions of tons of coal and several million tons of oil annually. Calling the Japanese occupation of Machuria & Korea "Barely Exploiting" is to put it mildly, extremely wrong and probably offensive. Burma/Malaya/Sumatra/the whole SRA are extremely rich in oil, rubber and other valuable resources. Remember that Japan is an island with effectively no natural resources of any kind. Their industry relied on brutally occupying other nations and stripping them of anything valuable for shipment back to Japan. The entire Pacific war centered around Japan's insatiable need to invade somewhere, anywhere for raw materials and the consequences of that.

e: Also HOIV's resource system is cool and good.

uPen fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 16, 2015

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ofaloaf posted:

Given that Stellaris is a space game, I think it's only logical that the game use a calendar based upon astronomy. Perhaps it could use some dating system based upon the movements of the moon, some sort of lunar calendar.

Which moon.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The national focus system looks like a lot of fun.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

I wonder if minor powers like Ireland will have national focuses? If only because they're so close to Great Britain.

Unique focuses for minors sounds like good dlc content.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Distant Worlds is currently $30 if people need a space fix.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DrSunshine posted:

Tell me about it. I knew from the moment I started seeing that exploration ship going from system to system, exploring every single thing there, that this would be a game that I could spend literal days on.

It really looks like Distant Worlds but designed in a sane fashion.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
DW pre-warp is goddamn pointless. You spend 30 minutes researching the same handful of techs as you unlock the first warp drive which gives you the range to explore like 5-10 systems near you and you can start exploring. Then you unlock the second warp tech which gives you the range to explore like 80% of the galaxy.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

8bitlawd posted:

Is HoI3 worth playing? I've got everything for it, but when I got around to it the OoB stuff made zero sense to me as did the ai managed theatre poo poo and so I stopped playing it and returned to Darkest Hour. Anyways, is it actually worth trying to learn or nah? Bonus: post a quality aar if you're feeling generous.

No.

Best AAR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LamgAfVj980

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
You'd make it impossible to play as a smaller sphered nation because nobody could crank tariffs to fund expansion/westernization.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Nome or war!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

UrbicaMortis posted:

What's a Eudaimonic society? Just trying to make your citizens really happy?

Earth in star trek. Post scarcity, no money, citizens work to better themselves and others.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

UrbicaMortis posted:

Why would you not pick what sounds like utopia?

Because why would you work for utopia when you can hand the keys over to an AI and let it enforce utopia?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Baron Porkface posted:

Is Leviathan:warships any good?

No.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Elias_Maluco posted:

I just want Rome 2 and also a game that ranges from the around the Peloponnesian Wars (or a bit earlier) to early Rome

I dont think that was ever a really good strategy game set on this timeframe

I wouldn't call it really good but Alea Jacta Est exists.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Not a big deal for we super nerds who drop :10bux: to talk about videogames, but the Stellaris team recently updated the minimum requirements for the game to:

OS: Windows 7 x86 or newer, Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ 3.0 Ghz or Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 @ 2.66 Ghz,
Memory: 2 GB RAM,
Graphics: AMD HD 5770 or Nvidia GTX 460 with 1024MB VRAM, Latest available WHQL drivers from both manufacturers,
DirectX: 9.0c,
Storage: 4 GB available space,
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel® Pentium® IV 2.4 GHz or AMD 3500+
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon® X1900, 512mb video memory required, shader model 3 required
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 4 GB available space
Sound Card: Direct X- compatible sound card

I'm not going to go look at the stats to confirm but I very much doubt many steam users are still running core 2 anything.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Demiurge4 posted:

Owls as an enslaved host species is still the best space 4x species ever.

Space dolphins are close, Horatio is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjIeBTaykPE

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mister Adequate posted:

So is there any way to play Darkest Hour windowed with Windows 10?

I run it in a Windows XP virtual machine.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Pakled posted:

There are some limits to what they can replicate. Basically any type of food, clothing, furniture, and most basic medicines can be replicated. But some critical things like dilithium crystals (warp drive fuel) and certain types of medicine are too complex to be replicated. So there is some incentive to get out there and make stuff.

Iirc latinum (money) can't be replicated and anyone the shows wants to appear snobbish always complains that replicated drinks aren't quite right.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I own GalCiv 2 something something but I've never actually played it, if I want to play a space 4X I'm perfectly happy just playing Distant Worlds again.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Zotix posted:

I don't really do MP in 4x, maybe just with a single friend against AI. Sounds like I might give distant worlds a go.

I love Distant Worlds but you should really look before you leap, it's not for everyone. Larry Monte has some nice videos that show it off.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Hoi3 is Hoi2 with all the fun sucked out of it. Don't get HOI3 or DH if you're trying to get into the series, just wait. HOI3 is a Bad Game and you shouldn't bother while DH is so antiquated and obtuse that it won't be fun to learn.

If you're just looking for a good WW2 strategy game: Order of Battle: Pacific and DC: Barbarossa are both fantastic modern games that are easier to get into than any HOI game and they're a lot more fun.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I don't think I've seen the AI pull this off ever.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

SirJohnnyMcDonald posted:

Day one humiliate justify on them. It takes a while for the GP's to find their alliances to eachother and humiliate is just quick enough to get by the window. I allied the UK but they were no help as Russia immediately declared for Canada and France invaded the Isles. London fell in just a few short months. More importantly I allied the Italian minors, Sweden, Switzerland and Denmark as well as continually accepted the alliance proposals from my spherelings. With the combined force of Prussia and all her allies, so early in the game with no GP ally of their own Austria is kind of a pushover as long as you don't screw up the war. I went right for her South German spherelings and got them out of the war ASAP, leaving Austria alone to fight my northern coalition as her Italian allies were tied up fighting mine and Switzerland. I wiped out all her armies with haste and then went on the long trek of occupying her. There wasn't any peace for nine years.

One by one Austria's allies left her and eventually her entire country was under Prussian control. I quickly evacuated my troops from her occupied lands and waited for the inevitable rebellion to erupt in Vienna. After about two years of waiting and rebuilding my worn down forces the reactionaries rose up and forced their terms on Austria, thus shattering their prestige and decimating their score. Within another year Austria was a secondary power. I got to the business of making the South German states my spheres and in 1844 attacked France and Russia for alsace-lorraine (justified).

The United Kingdom joined me in a war for vengeance against the perfidious franks and within a year the Russians signed the peace. I added a wargoal in Austria for making them my sphereling and at last peaced out with them. I clicked the NGF button and on the same day clicked Three Hurrahs for Germany.

There's a bunch of ways I could have made this faster and at some point I'll try it again. With perfect micromanagement I could probably shave at least a year off.

Luxembourg's in there. What you're seeing is a tiny strip of the Netherland's territory just west of Belgium. The French took southern Belgium in the war with the British.

EDIT:

I am right now fabricating on Switzerland and going over the infamy limit in 1848. This shouldn't be a problem, Super Germany is pretty much unstoppable.

You're long past the point the AI will declare on you for infamy.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wiz posted:

So basically: It's easy to learn that a box with a line in it represents a horse, but super-difficult to learn that a horse represents a horse.

Makes sense.

It's the same arguement of graphics vs ascii. NATO counters compress information very well and make it immediately recognizable.

The first thing I'm doing in HOI4 is finding a mod that replaces Hitler with Schwarzenegger and another mod that makes all my dudes do the push up animation 24/7 and conquering the world.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

PhantomZero posted:

How do NATO counters add to immersion when NATO didn't exist in WW2?

Correct, Paradox should implement an actual map overview.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ExtraNoise posted:

I was thinking I'd like to make a "modern day" mod for HoI4, spanning from 1980 to 2020. I've never played an HoI game and the more I see of HoI4, I'm thinking this is less-and-less of a possibility. What do you guys think?

Edit: Looks like a "modern day" mod is already in the works on the Paradox forums. It's setting is 2018+ though.

Pitch it to Paradox, get some official funding, go hog wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Can we all just talk about Rome 2? I want the hottest Rome 2 news.