Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Star posted:

This is a worse semi-ironic derail than the whole bonuses/bonii poo poo.

look at what you did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Obstacle2 posted:

Have they said anything about HoI 4 in regards to the ability to shift nations into non-historical alliances. Like Communist USA for example? It was so tedious trying to make it work in HoI 3.

Look at the focus tree image and all your hopes and dreams will be realized.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

What's traditionally the HoI equivalent of Tutorial Island?

Germany goes literally at your own pace and, hey, if you lose then you can call that a victory too.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Kersch posted:

JURY DUTY NO

I never get picked as a potential juror and I still often get the time off.

DO YOU FEEL LUCKY?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Pretty psyched for that so I can play HoI4 on my lovely little computer while I get my new rig built this summer.

Paradox games are far and away more CPU intensive then GPU, unfortunately.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

Not sure where all the Stellaris hate is coming from, admittedly I've only put 12 hours into it but I am really enjoying it, more so than the current EU4 patch with 4 lovely useless systems that were tacked on top of it.
My biggest problem is that I have no clue on the other nations and if I can win a war against them/if my happiness can handle it. Combat and the lack of info for it should be addressed.

Stellaris will improve over time, just like EU4 did, then it will peak and hopefully an other title is out to replace it.

Buying a game cuz it'll get good later isn't really a sound use of money, even if the game company in question is good and reliable people.

You can buy it later just as well.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

why does HoI have it's own thread

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

Why does your 'its' have an apostrophe in it?

question of all of life's mysteries

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

talk about the red sea

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

You'd be better off invading Italy straight up, then, as opposed to crossing the whole Mediterranean just to backdoor Russia.

Still, I'm glad Paradox has learned the unfortunate truth; we're actually no better then reddit anymore. Good job.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is how accessible is HoI 4? I wasn't smart enough to play HoI 2 and I skipped out on the third game entirely. Can the fourth be picked up and played reasonably well if I am familiar with other paradox games but am a straight up hearts of iron baby?

Mixed. You need to read up on things to know what to do and there's a few things where it's hard to get feedback on how well you're doing (boats mostly) but actually doing things and information for the most part is p ez.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm really wanting to pick this up but after getting personally burned by Stellaris I'm a bit paradox-shy.
Reading things like it's always better to just build military factories in the long run and a few other balance quirks in the game make me a bit sad. I really like the hoi games for their crazy alt-history. Should I try now or wait for the first patches/dlc and hopefully Kaiserriech?

Building only military factories isn't even the optimal strategy, as your consumer goods is taken from all your factories, meaning spamming mil facts runs you out of construction factories pretty fast.

There isn't a "I win!" path with them. None the less, the game is good.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

On the flipside, however, Skylines also... really isn't that kind of game. It really is a game about roads and agents and a city builder based around that, you aren't really mayoring anything.

The same is true of all city builders, really. Unlike, say, Sim City (all of them) the road system are actually compelling enough. Though wasn't there one that came out recently where you had to secure funding to do things and etc etc?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Vicky 2 was probably on a to dated engine to be really good, though I have high prospects for 3.

Ignoring that Stellaris is garbo.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Seeing how HOI4 and Stellaris ended up I'm not sure if I want vikky 3. It won't live up to vikky 2.

Hoi is... okay, but Vicky inherently would have more events and causes for conflict and in general things going on then Stellaris, so even if it functionally ran the same it'd be good.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

every tech tree will be small except for navy, which will have a poo poo ton of options and ofc a ship designer

everything does .01 differences

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

HoI4 is a less extreme case of Civilization, but with the benefit of having pretty easy and straight forward multiplayer.

The AI is fukken bad tho and so is the AI for the planner.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I mean no some poo poo is actually just something the graphics card providers have to fix. Like, Nier Automata has/had a crashing issue that only NVIDIA could fix by pushing an update, etc etc. It's how things work.

like lmao at your take away being "AMD released a new thing and it's causing things to break, gently caress those things that are breaking"

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Cities is not a "challenge" game, it's quite literally a Bansai Tree simulator. If you keep that in mind just go nuts with it. Hell, turn on unlimited funds and just try to keep yourself in the green.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Walton Simons posted:

In a similar vein, I thought the idea random new world in EU4 was amazing but it doesn't sound like it was implemented very well.

It's okay now. Now it uses a bunch of tiles that are sorted together, with a few neat presets being sidelined for use as well. (Like a giant wall.) The main issue is that it completely messes with trade routes in the process, which can be... an issue.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I'm a little concerned re:rome how actually fleshed out and entertaining it'll be to play the non-empire states. Like, the German tribes aren't going to have many, if any, of the general systems as the Romans do, and the Greeks and etc etc will be different still. It's fairly baseless, but I'd rather it not be a CK2 thing where things straight up aren't playable until you dole out another ten bucks a year later and such.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

If it's not fleshed out, though, then it's just EU4 with a rebelling army mechanic and

eh?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

unwantedplatypus posted:

I can’t wait for some crazy bastard to try and start a mega-campaign from Imperator: Rome

it's time for a mega-MP-campaign

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Drone posted:

So who's going to take over Crete LP 2.0 once we hit release :v:

I get a feeling it'll be a dev diary joke here and there.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

hoi4 is fun in multiplayer, it's hot garbo in multiplayer

stellaris is hot garbage in general but doubly so in MP because wtf are these design choices

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Drone posted:

I always get the feeling that Kaiserreich is a good concept executed by a team that couldn't gamedesign their way out of a wet paper bag. c/d?

Kaiserreich's problem is actually pretty easy to understand; it's open and a huge public undertaking. There are way to many people on the boat and no one to really control things. (There's probably quality control folks etc etc, sure, but nothing to keep the whole game "tight.") This was unfortunately pretty much a guarantee to happen, as Darkest Hour's was still how DH was sold to this day, making it a popular thing from the onset. And people wanted to chip in and make it better and, sure, HoI's is probably better then DH content wise at this point, but it got real messy while all the groundbreaking for DH was done by one or two people before it took off and got super popular.

(Being stuck doing everything by unwieldy events helps in DH's favor too.)

They don't seem to have nearly enough people to tell them "no." What really needs to happen is that someone swings around with enough moxie to make their own mod like KR and start the process anew, until HoI5. :v:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Mans posted:

A bold take.

technically accurate still

Beamed posted:

Yeah, I don't think Stellaris is hopeless like, say, HoI4 is, but it sucks to be over a year(is it 2 now? I don't even know) since it released and still talking about how amazing it might be one day.

tbh I think it is. It's a game that tries to have random variance in otherwise fairly generic and lifeless empires via tech and events, except tech just means you might lag beyond the various milestones purely out of chance (looking at you, neighbor who got destroyers while I was still piddling at tier one weapons) and for both that and events there are objectively correct and superior choices, even if they sometimes swap around on major patches. (Except strikecraft being dumpsters, of course.) This in combination with the fact that there really isn't a lot of choice in the first place makes things very weird. And bad.

It feels like they were inspired by Sword of the Stars and it's whole random tech tree, giving the various races different feels and then giving empires within the same species different tech possibilities ontop of that, while just attaching it to a short tech tree out of Civilization. And even then, both SotS and Civ (although the former especially) had a tactical combat system of some sort where differences in tech paths could be leveraged in your tactics and approach, where in Stellaris you shove your fleet into their fleet and hope the numbers pan out.

I don't think the whole core design premise for Stellaris can lead to a good game. It probably ought to have been EU4 in spaaaace, with a million idea groups replacing tech or something.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Koramei posted:

I think being able to combat it is the key thing. A plague that kills half your people with absolutely no recourse is obviously infuriating, but if you could have built a bunch of baths and hospitals, and cut off trade ties with parts of the world it's coming from maybe it wouldn't be so bad. A lot of people would probably disagree and I assume it's something Paradox has thought a bunch about in the past.

CK2 has this actually, if you didn't know. I personally find it kind of annoying as it's a fairly hefty money sink into what is effectively a blackbox, but I also don't usually play into the eras were it's plague'o'clock as opposed to normal saturday night fever.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Rynoto posted:

Manufactories especially are a big (500) early investment that could be better spent on cheaper and more powerful temples (100) or keeping the war machine going to increase your income through raw province levels. Or gold.

Yoooooou

don't know what you're talking about in this case friend, I'm sorry. That said, to be fair, production isn't the most crystal clear income method in the world.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m just tired of paradox fans being giant babies about game mechanics that aren’t conquest.

If they had their way it would literally be the only mechanic and that’s boring

makes sense not-war tends to be hanging around making arbitrary motions to get your aims while conquest is pretty clear cut

i don't disagree with you, mind, but i understand

Buildings are weird and kinda dumb in that most of them are pretty useless, or at least use impaired. Temples are worthless, the two flavors of manpower depend on how small your country is (and the forcelimit ones, obv) while the trade ones obv just go in the trade provinces, leaving you with mandatory manufactories and universities and then eeeh

They have a purpose - doubly so when development wasn't a thing - but I do hope it's cleaned up some in EU the fifth/Romicky 3. That's true about a lot of things tho

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

As long as they're all related to the resource you've created...

I'm not exactly sure what you're thinking of with entirely unrelated things here, can you give an example?

using for tech/policies/the-various-government-buttons makes sense but I guess mana for development doesn't, not really

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

just because they bought someone doesn't mean they'll suddenly make mapgames

or do anything but get funded

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

make it like the air system in hoi

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Senor Dog posted:

Johann please cover your drat eyes. do not read this thread

what if we took a game that had slightly more diplomatic nuance then total war and just made it the diplomacy instead

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I could buy a dlc that updates a focus tree for two countries and adds one for like three and a half

or I could buy prey for less

paradox. . .

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

they call it mana in the code you absolute sperg

it is a joke, you see.

There's nothing wrong with mana, but hoi and eu4 both inherently use it pretty shittily. Eu4 has them tied into way to many features, military particularly, with no meaningful way to adjust how you get them outside of a bonus. (Which can be a pretty big bonus once you get really rolling, admittedly, but that's end game.) HoI both has it being way to important with you pulling teeth for every five points early on (with it also being pretty hard to actually get it) and then functionally worthless once you're done. Also lmao at ever getting naval XP, doubly lmao that once you're getting it it's to late to make those fancy boats. Phone-mana probably has it the worst of all, though, simply because it's actually pretty rare to have something to spend it on in the first place.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

Just let Wiz design any and all Paradox games thank you

yea cuz stellaris is the pinnacle of game design here

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

resident forum poster skims legal document and assumes a necessary verdict, news at 11

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Alikchi posted:

So when do we get the coming Hoi4/EU4/CK2 DLCs? Any guesses? I suspect October/November.

Eu4 is Soon and probably would've dropped by now if it wasn't for summer, I think HoI4 was due to be in 2019 at some point? So probably p late.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Hefty Leftist posted:

haven't been following Imperator that much, but it's not really getting me very interested so far. not really sure what the hook of the game is, like CK2 has it's characters and intrigue, EU4 has colonization and nation development and Vic 2 has modernisation and global trade. Imperator kind of has all of these things but nothing seems to be really sticking out to me so far. anyone else got the same thoughts? it is pretty early in development so maybe the meatier stuff is coming later on

we know next to nothing about it yet, we're in "showing concept art" land really. the map was only finished up recently

I'm not sure why they felt the need to tease dev dairies this early but whatev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont think the map is complete yet, though? They showed off one with more stuff colored in but there were some gaps where there should be stuff.

nah the latest one is apparently complete, all the grey stuff is wastelands.