Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Frontspac posted:

So I just started playing Kaiserreich (and Darkest Hour) for the first time. I'm trying to get a CSA game off the ground but I dunno if I'm supposed to manually tag-switch/reload a save when ACW2 kicks off or if I just keep loving up the event chain and ending up stuck as the USA under MacArthur. Fuckin Syndicalist revolution, how does it work?

Yeah, manual save and reload is the only way. In fact, the only way to actually avoid the civil war is to elect Curtis, negotiate with Reed and assassinate Long - with any other option, the civil war will kick off, and if you elected either Long or Reed, they will with 100% accuracy get kicked out by MacArthur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Kavak posted:

What kind of game of Kaiserreich were you playing where you used a nuclear carrier against Germany's 1930's navy? Was this a late game thing and the AI is insanely bad at upgrading?

The AI upgrades its navy? I thought that since you can't upgrade ships through allocating IC to the "upgrade" slider, the AI would just build more and figure that the older ships would decommission themselves eventually by getting shredded by superior fleets.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Has a crisis in Vicky-2 ever been resolved prior to war with a result other than white peace?

It happens. Rarely, but it does. Usually it's just something minor like a Humiliate that got added by one side, but very rarely I've seen the actual goal of the crisis achieved peacefully.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Fintilgin posted:

This is what baffles me.

Ask Paradox. They were the ones that put those stupid names in to begin with - they came from the HoD dynamic dominion system. When that converter found a nation it could not transfer a Vicky 2 tag over to, it would take one of the dynamic dominion tags, which are as follows:

code:
The Kingdom of $REGION$
The Confederation of $REGION$
Commonwealth of $REGION$
The Republic of $REGION$
The $REGION$ State
The People's Republic of $REGION$
The Free State of $REGION$
The Grand State of $REGION$
The State of $REGION$
The Principality of $REGION$
The Democratic Republic of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Union
The $REGION$ Kingdom
The Dominion of $REGION$
The Grand Duchy of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Nation
The $REGION$ Federation
The United States of $REGION$
The Democratic Union of $REGION$
The Princedom of $REGION$
The Union of $REGION$
The People's Democratic Republic of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Area
The Glorious Union of $REGION$
Mighty $REGION$
The $REGION$ Free State
The $REGION$ Commonwealth
The $REGION$ Confederacy
The Free People of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Republic
The Holy Union of $REGION$
The People's Union of $REGION$
The Federal States of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Federal State
The $REGION$ Confederation
The $REGION$ Federation
The Pious Union of $REGION$
$REGION$ Land
The Most Serene Republic of $REGION$
The Secret Kingdom of $REGION$
The Commune of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Commune
The Worker's Union of $REGION$
The Landgrave of $REGION$
The Nation of $REGION$
Holy $REGION$
The $REGION$ Dominion
The People's State of $REGION$
The High Kingdom of $REGION$
The Lesser Duchy of $REGION$
So the nation owning Greenland is "The Secret Kingdom of" (I think the converter excluded the region part) and since Denmark had cores on it, that becomes "Secret Denmark".

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Ofaloaf posted:

Can satellites of a planet be considered the home for a people? Can Nazis have a base on the Moon?

What did you think Neuschwabenland really was about?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Ofaloaf posted:

I don't know about HoI3, but HoI2 and Darkest Hour had the CSA, Texas and California as potential states. Revolters not present on the map at game start have been in the Hearts of Iron series for a while now. Tying that in to the civil war system so it's not just PROV1234 REBEL_TYPE farting around on a couple of provs would be neat, but breakaway states and such have totally been a thing.

Though usually those were not largely designed to be revolters, more smaller states to be released by some foreign power once they take over or win the war.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Frontspac posted:

I picked up Darkest Hour so I could play a bit of Kaissereich, given how good some of the LPs where. I'm starting to muddle along okay, but I don't know how/if there's a way to get an estimate of an opponent's military strength. How can I tell if I can beat someone in a war?

Check the Intelligence ledger for some information on that. Remember to keep your intelligence systems regularly upgrading (you can set it to auto-upgrade somewhere in there, you'll have to dick around a bit to really work out what you're doing) and potentially pick an intelligence minister that gives you bonuses to army intelligence for more accurate numbers.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Mans posted:

If i'm not mistaken you can just check the Ledgers and see the 100% exact and correct number and type of units any nation in the world has.

You are mistaken, at least as far as Darkest Hour is concerned. The only army information you get on the ledgers is what you know for 100%, that being your own units and your allies' units. If you could just see the accurate numbers in the ledger, that would make army intelligence redundant!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/677931688303976449

Oh my loving god it finally happened. FINALLY.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Autonomous Monster posted:

I have, but I'm playing Russia. I have noticed one odd thing, though: none of my allies have ever agreed to join my wars. Also, got a CTD when the first world war broke out.

I can't get any of my allies to join any wars either. I declared a war as Dai Nam, and my puppet Cambodia actually declined the call. It still got dragged in by the automatic thing that brings all your puppets to war with you, but that should not happen.

Also, I've been having some sphereling trouble in my Two Sicilies game. I sphered the Papal States, but couldn't ally them because they were still allied with France and two Great Power allies is too much, which sounds wrong. I also couldn't get military access from them to save them from rebels, which I'm almost certain is wrong. I only get the -50 base reluctance, no positive modifier for being a sphereling, and for spherelings basically being a step above puppets that can't be right. That was a problem, since they were being taken over by redshirts who would then fire the Expedition of the Thousand, which means that Italy forms under the rule of Sardinia-Piedmont (a secondary power sphered by France, as opposed to me, the Great Power with colonies n' poo poo) and everything goes to hell. Oh well, debug yesmen to the rescue! Except that doesn't work anymore. I can enter it and it shows up in the console as activated, but the AI just does not respond positively. It seems that things are a bit iffy with this patch, as was to be expected.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 23, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cantorsdust posted:

Is Mexico too big to sphere? I forget if you can conquer countries in your sphere or not, but if you can, that might work.

You can't, pretty sure about that. You could try using influence to lower the opinion of Britain in Mexico and maybe get them to break the alliance that way, but that seems questionable, especially given the whole "first step is warring them for Yucatan" part.

The UK problem is one you run into relatively frequently. Whatever you seem to be doing in Vicky, Great Britain is there to poo poo on your pancakes and ruin your day. Ideally, dealing with them as the USA shouldn't even be a question, you should be powerful enough to wipe the floor with Mexico, the Canadian troops and whatever the UK might land, then just grind them out through occupation because eventually even the loving Brits give up. In my Two Sicilies game, I had to grind them out over trying to take Libya from the Ottomans, and while I had to take some prestige hits juggling my +4 Attack general between Africa and Europe depending on where he was needed, the UK never managed to land enough troops for me to get overwhelmed and I eventually got the victory through battle warscore and ticking warscore. That's the general plan vs. the UK, being stronger just makes it easier to pull off.

Actually, have you tried actually fighting the UK? Because the naval AI isn't so great that it can ferry the entire British army across the pond to make your life hell, and the Canadian troops aren't that much of a problem. Thinking about it, I've dealt with the UK a lot pretty early in USA games, usually over Washington/Idaho, and they usually weren't a massive problem because I'm still playing the USA, continental juggernaut in the making.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

canepazzo posted:

Has anyone had any luck with alliances in Victoria 2 since the beta patch? I am through a full playthrough as S-P -> Italy and halfway through a Nejd -> Arabia one with not a single time my allies joined on an offensive war (either at war dec time or through call ally), and maybe twice on a defensive war.

They seem to work well enough for the AI, with allies joining each other here and there, but never for me.

They're broke in some way, just like how it's impossible to get military access even if you're asking a sphereling to give it to you so you can save them from rebels.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Jackson Taus posted:

Has China always had a -6000% influence penalty because of population or is that new? Is there just never any way to sphere China now?

I believe this was added with HoD. It was basically just a band-aid for the "somebody spheres China, RIP world economy" problem, albeit a very very powerful band-aid.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

It's essentially diplomatic puppeting that can be broken by other GPs through their diplomacy. Very handy.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Soylent Pudding posted:

Is Wiz's beta patch mostly stable, or am I going to find things bugged out if I jump back in for a try and take over Asia as China game?

I've heard of a crash that happens when a World War starts, and that can very well be out of the player's control, so you might find yourself in a game you can't continue, but World Wars are pretty late.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

cool and good posted:

Are there any good mods for V2 that make influence not awful?

I don't believe so, since not making the influence system annoying busywork is beyond the scope of what mods can do.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Westminster System posted:

Legionary what now?

Belonging to the Iron Guard movement, also referred to as the Legionnaires. Seems they took either over Romania on their own and brought Bulgaria into the fold, or that's just what Axis-aligned Romania/Bulgaria turn into.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Kaza42 posted:

But why Poland? Do you really need a focus tree and unique models to spend three years building up and then get smashed by Germany and the Soviet Union? I mean, I know it's possible to survive as Poland but how many people are going to actually do that? Why not China or something?

When the delays happened and people were happy because they figured that this would mean the game would get more polish, Paradox got some signals crossed.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

YF-23 posted:

Really, HoI3 in favourites but not DH. This is war, son.

The part that stands out to me is HOI2 in the favorites and not DH, given that DH is HOI2 plus more.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

corn in the bible posted:

because there are, for some reason, several stickied pony mods on the paradox forums. and also thanks to browsing moddb for vicky mods i know about this abomination:

I'd say something, but I wouldn't know where to start.

...actually, never mind, I would have to start with ponies having taken over Iran, because... actually, I can't work out exactly what irks me about that. I just want to say "everything".

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Gamerofthegame posted:

talk about the red sea

That's clearly just a side effect of the apocalypse having happened. I mean, that's just common sense.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Funky Valentine posted:

The V3 thread will be months upon months of people going "no, anarchism is like this", "no, anarchism is like this".

It will be anarchy.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Bitter Mushroom posted:

vicky 1 is better than vicky 2, because you can actually interact with the pops. Granted I'm no great shakes at victoria 2 but I don't understand how you get more soldiers. Although I really like the crisis system

I don't know, one of the things I like about Vicky 2 is that you only have tenuous control over your pops. It seems more fitting to me that all you can really do to get more soldiers is to put more money into the army (military spending) and putting out military ads and recruitment drives (encouraging through national focuses).

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

corn in the bible posted:

I did an LP of one of the much earlier games in the series yes. It was during the great archive failure though so it's gone forever

Wasn't it this? I can read that just fine.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

GaussianCopula posted:

But Steamspy only states that there are "x owners of game y on steam".

It's not like anyone suggests that every single unit of the game was sold for the regular US-Steam price?

I'm pretty sure the idea here is "people are too stupid to understand the data properly, so we're taking it away from them".

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Phlegmish posted:

How do you abandon techs?

Select the latest one in the tree you have researched and an "Abandon Doctrine" button should show up where you'd normally start research. You need to work your way backwards through the tree until Indirect Approach becomes available.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Phlegmish posted:

I don't see that button anywhere:

I don't see it for any other tech I click on, either. Am I in the wrong screen?

No, that should be the right screen. I don't know if you can abandon naval doctrines or not, I simply assumed you could because you could with military ones. Try the same thing with military doctrines and see if you can do it there. If you can, then I guess you just can't abandon naval doctrines and you're stuck with what you've got.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Phlegmish posted:

I stopped researching Improved Naval Invasion and now I can abandon naval techs.

Apparently you just can't be researching anything on the same screen.

Ah, right, that makes sense - to ensure that you're not researching anything that requires the tech you are going to abandon.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Zombiepop posted:

nooo :( keep it casual!

Actually, what's more casual than scenarios? No long preparations, no unit building, no entire world to look at. Pretty much all you've got is your units, the enemy's units, and a set of goals. I figure that a Spanish Civil War scenario or a Fall Weiss scenario would be good to ease a player into warfare.

Of course, I haven't played HOI4, so I don't know how pointless scenarios would be because of the battleplan mechanics and reduced focus on individual troop movement and the like, since that's what the main focus point of scenarios should be.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

ThaumPenguin posted:

This guy seems like a fair and reasonable dude.

He plays HoI and has Goebbels as his avatar. That probably already should have clued you in.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So Steam had Darkest Hour for 2.49 today on sale. Real excited to try it out since I heard good things about it. But turns out it doesn't work on Windows 10. The subforums on Paradox have about 10 different "fixes" to get around it, but none of them work, and the only one I haven't tried is to take my video card back a couple years in drivers, which seems really unnecessary just to play this game.

Wish the mod devs could be bothered to make an official patch.

For what it's worth, I'm also playing Darkest Hour on Win10 without issue. What do you mean when you say "doesn't work"? Straight up doesn't start? Throws an error message?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Plutonis posted:

What's the event path for Syndicalist Danubian Federation in DHKR?

Uh, let's see what I remember... I think you have to do the full centralization first (i.E. annex all your puppets at game start through whatever means necessary). Then you'll get a decision asking what you want to do (Austria, Austria-Hungary or Danubian Federation), and of course you have to do Danubian Federation.

I think at that point it's just a matter of picking "left" options. So in the election, pick the leftmost option, then I think you get a question about inviting more left guys into government, which you have to do, and then at one point you'll get asked if you want to organize the Federation along Syndicalist lines. So I think it's pretty straightforward. I don't entirely remember, though.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Today in Kaiserreich:

"No! I must kill peacefully incorporate the reactionaries!" Gandhi shouted.
The radio said: "No, Gandhi. You are the reactionaries."
And then Gandhi was the Princely Federation.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, I would figure that the real starter country is either USA (clear top dog in its domain unless you REALLY piss off the UK) or France (just remember to stick your dick in Prussia's earhole early and that the Rheinland is core French territory). Prussia and Austria has the influence fuckery bar none with all those stupid tiny German states. Austria also has a situation that can lead to some real trouble during the Springtime of Nations with a ton of rebels.

Russia is kind of annoying because it's just loving huge, and once you get a bad rebellion (and you probably will, rebels and being new at V2 just go hand in hand) you're going to be stuck cleaning that poo poo up for ages.

You can do an interesting UK game by releasing everything you can as puppets and just concentrating on the mainland. Mainland UK is still a force all on its own, and the puppets can usually fend for themselves - and if not, who cares, they're halfway across the globe. It's like 100% the opposite of what the British Empire is about, but eh.

EDIT: Oh, right, forgot about Brazil. That's a good pick, too. Added bonus, you can play along with Kersch's tutorial LP, which is a great read.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

25.01 infamy is where the death zone starts. Don't even think for a second "oh, it'll be below the limit in a month". The entire god drat world will DoW you before that month is up. I learned that the hard way too.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I think what's happening with the expansions is that HoD is missing, but AHD is there. Because if it weren't, the infamy wouldn't be displayed on the UI. "A few years ago" probably predates the HoD release.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

COOL CORN posted:

Who is Kaiserin Victoria supposed to be? Didn't Empress Victoria die like 40 years before WW2? Or is this just an easter egg thing

I have absolutely no idea who it's actually supposed to be, but if I were to guess based on the royal family, it'd be Princess Victoria Louise of Prussia.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I want to share this absolutely god awful Victoria map

Christ, there's some choice stuff in there.

I guess you were Scandinavia? That's something that usually doesn't happen, and its borders don't make me want to vomit. And I think you were cockblocking Germany via holding Schleswig?

Also, all that blue in Africa is confusing the hell out of me.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Pirate Radar posted:

What does GSG stand for in this context?

Grand Strategy General, a specific thread on the 4chan board for general video game threads that are basically always instantly remade the moment they hit the maximum amount of posts (/vg/).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Fister Roboto posted:

It affected some pop behaviors and of course political parties all had their own religious stances from moralism to atheism. That sounds quite a lot like "religion is present but not the most important thing".

Yep, can't forget those wonderful religious stances. Quoting from issues.txt from V2's game files here, which describes the effects of party issues:

code:
religious_policy = {
		pro_atheism = {
			#no effect
		}
		secularized = {
			#no effect
		}
		pluralism = {
			#no effect
		}
		moralism = {