Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I have a Eurocentric history degree, a condescending personality and a bunch of fedoras ; I thought I was a shoe-in.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I mean I don't really mind, if only because Sci-Fi is chock full of these types of things. It does make one think what a EUIV, CKII or HOIIV full bore would be, if it had the same leeway you get with Sci-Fi. Granted EUIV really has a ton of stuff too, but Stellaris has well lots of Space Hitler options.

That is why you must play as a pacifist monarchy -- be the proverbial shining city on the hill. Dare to be the civilization where fungus monsters are free to live a life free of domestic servitude and the cow people from Vespen V never have to know the cruel press of the cattle pen

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Serbia inheriting the Byzantine Empire feels right, too!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm daring to hope it is an iOS Sengoku port

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

uPen posted:

The Man Trap

Please don't doxx my wife :mad:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/pdxinteractive/status/836947253889753090

https://twitter.com/steeldivgame/status/836946840125833217

Looks like we are due another WW2 game out of Paradox Interactive! I know this probably isn't what their new forum is about, but interesting news nevertheless.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Just copy this ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzjRwNUQDRU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That happened like 50 expansions ago.

Much like Jesus, Corn in the Bible forgives but he never forgets

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I would be excited if they ever figure out how to make one of their strategy games work on a phone in some way. It'd be great to whip out the ol' iPhone or whatever and play a quick generation of ck2:phone edition while on the subway.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Koramei posted:

Whoah, I hadn't seen that yet. That's a cool way of handling it.

I do wonder what's gonna happen in Paradox games moving forward though; will Rome 2 and CK3 just start with the whole old world included?

I hope not, the extra provinces really bogged things down for a while. I'd rather have a tighter game that really focuses in on one area vs an 800 year grab bag set across three continents.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I think the first third of stellaris is a great game - it is a lot of fun to colonize the galaxy and the traits and civics are different enough that it feels like there are a few unique playstiles to do that with. The game falls apart in the middle, though, since waging war just isn't that much fun and there really isn't anything else to do once the galaxy is full. The game has a unique "crisis" mechanic that mixes up the galaxy at later stages of the game (think of it like sunset invasion in ck2), but it was recently patched to start no earlier than 200 years after the starting point... and I don't know about any of you, but I rarely make it more than a 100 years in a paradox title before I either get bored or have a new idea and start over.

I also feel like it runs slower than other paradox games, but that may just be in my head.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Farecoal posted:

lol if you get hype for any game after Spore

Man, don’t even get me started on Spore. That game even had an honest-to-god National Geographic documentary made about it pre-release!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
The newspapers could have been amazing if someone tried to mod them somehow. Would have been neat to include little snips from old newspapers from the time in it... like something from the London times talking about how queen victoria was going to have tea with the Kaiser that morning or whatever.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Ms Adequate posted:

Well, it's Modern Paradox. That's almost assuredly what we'd get, so Paradox Does Spore/SimEarth is my new thing I need in life.

That would be my thing too. Back in my day I actually preferred SimLife to SimEarth, but with technology being what it is I bet both could be blended together quite nicely! My nerdy biology dream is that one day a game would be able to simulate something fairly small... like say a valley, and you’d be able to tinker with weather patterns, food distribution, and natural disasters and be able to sit back and watch how life evolves there.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Has there been any word/progress made on that Martian colonization game that Paradox is producing? The launch of the Falcon Heavy got me thinking about it again!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Who's to say CK3 would be any worse as a freemium online poker game for your phone?

Mobile CK3 is all I want in a phone game and I’d totally pay to remove the ads from herald scrolls.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Crazycryodude posted:

I disagree. With the idea that good cuitybuilders end like this, I mean. Cities: Skylines is one of my favorite games of all time and I have like 500 hours in it, I love city builders.

This may not be the thread to ask this in, but is it possible to just build villages or towns in Skylines? I have no interest in making a huge metropolis, but I’ve always liked charming little one street light towns like they have in middle-of-no-where Kansas or Nebraska. Can those types of places do well in the game or do they die if they aren’t near a real city?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

And they are from different cultures, too! The queen really fell asleep at the wheel with this one, imo.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Charlz Guybon posted:

What do you guys think?

If they can figure out a way to get the warring states and India into the game without slowing anything down I’m all for it! I’d love a paradox game with a solid focus on ancient China, but if this is the best we are going to get then I hope they really do it justice. I loved the Koei Romance of the Three Kingdoms games and I have a serious desire to lead Cao Cao and his armies across the Silk Road and down the alps.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
My favorite bit of CK1 was how your deceased family members could go through the process of becoming saints - I’m glad that is finally coming over to ck2, it feels long overdue.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I basically want an historical version of kings of dragon pass so I can play it on my phone, is that too much to ask??

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

AnoHito posted:

Literal lawyers aren't lawful :confused:

Can’t say I’ve ever met a lawful good lawyer, but I’m sure they are out there somewhere!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the wargame series but thats RTS rather than grand strategy

tho red dragon did have a grand strategy mini-game

It was mentioned just above your post, but DEFCON for the PC is a fun Cold War esque game, provided you are playing with humans! The object of the game is to wipe out your opponents nuclear capability and save your population centers, so if you are playing with friends you can do a lot of behind the scenes backstabbing/desperate diplomacy. It’s a “try to lose the least out of everyone playing” type game, which is something I’ve always enjoyed!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Vicky 3 is a fake game, thrown out to distract us from the recent fuckups.

What happened? I have been out of the loop, paradox speaking, but Vicky 3 has brought me back like the prodigal son.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
The “birthright” setting would work well within the crusader king engine I would think! I’m surprised that there hasn’t been a mod for it yet, though I suppose it’s one of the more obscure D&D settings.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

There was, more than one even. I think one of them may have been goon-made?

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/mod-birthright-d-d-take-ii.755935/

Ooo I happily stand corrected! Thanks for the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I have always been reluctant to play a Russian start because of the Mongols. How difficult are they to deal with? I am only a ck3 player of middling skill, so I am reluctant to start a game that will enviably end with me being smooshed a few hundred years down the road.