Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gamerofthegame posted:

Mixed. You need to read up on things to know what to do and there's a few things where it's hard to get feedback on how well you're doing (boats mostly) but actually doing things and information for the most part is p ez.

I literally set up my entire Barbarossa invasion with about a dozen mouseclicks. It ground to a halt because the Russkis have around 600 divisions to my 200, but organising it all has been a breeze.

I've gone back and looked at HOI3 now to compare some things, and the HOI4 interface is so good, it has actually helped me understand the HOI3 interface better. That is how good it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm kind of curious as to what Paradox's expansion model for HoI4 will be like. Their other games are fairly obvious, there were/are a plethora of areas for CK2, EU4, and Stellaris to grow in, but WWII is a pretty well-defined thing and there are only so many ways you can expand on that specific conflict while still maintaining a balanced, cohesive product. Like, I can see one major WWII-focused expansion, maybe two tops. I wonder if they're going to start getting into alt-history stuff.

Focus trees and unit models for every country - that's about 100 DLCs right there. 41, 42, 43, 44 start dates. Scenarios. WW1. WW3. Pacific War expansion. I can't see them running out of ideas for a long time.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Attila total war is better that Rome 2.

Otherwise there's Alea Jacta Est which is one of the less sucky Ageod game.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I fired up CK2 the other day for the first time in a couple of years. After playing a lot of HOI4 and EU4, CK2 looks a lot less shiny than the newer games.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Development on CK2 winding down https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads%2Fcrusader-kings-2-dd-14-the-road-ahead.957206%2F. 2 -3 more expansions will probly be all done in 12 months. Predicting CK3 in 2018.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Unsurprisingly Paradox have just had their most successful quarter ever.

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/interim-report-january-june-2016/

quote:

- Revenues for the second quarter amounted to SEK 234.9 (182.0) million, an increase of 29 % compared to the same period last year.

- Operating profit amounted to SEK 142.3 (68.4) million, an increase of 108 %.

- Profit before tax amounted to SEK 142.9 (68.4) million, and profit after tax amounted to SEK 110.6 (53.2) million.

- Cash flow from operating activities amounted to SEK 62.1 (174.5) million, and cash flow from investing activities amounted to SEK -25.1 (-20.7) million.

- By the end of the period, cash and short term placements amounted to SEK 143.2 (176.4) million.

-During the second quarter of 2016, the internally developed games Stellaris and Hearts of Iron IV were released. In addition, an expansion for Europa Universalis IV, “Mare Nostrum,” was released. Revenues from the second quarter of 2016 are mainly attributable to Stellaris, Hearts of Iron IV, Cities: Skylines, Europa Universalis IV, Pillars of Eternity and Crusader Kings II.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
HOI4 on 300k and Stellaris on 550k.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
EU4 - 1M.

CK2 - 1.3M

Still a lot of room for growth for both HOI4 and Stellaris, so shareholders will be happy for a while.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Still lots of DLC to come out for both as well.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You could make ledger information dependent on your allies/spies. Allies or spy networks of 100% give you exact information which gradually becomes vaguer as your network decreases.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
:10bux: for the 2 major Skylines DLC is pretty good.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

But I suspect most people played ~2 serious campaigns at launch, felt they'd gotten the HoI experience, and set it aside for something else. Some went and played a campaign of EU4. Others played an RPG or TF2 or whatever. In a few months when they're feeling burnt out on what they've been recently playing they'll probably pick HoI4 back up and do another campaign.

Spot on. I did a normal Germany campaign and then a silly Communist Australia campaign and after 30 hours on it I can see there are a lot of improvements to make so I'm done for now and playing Total Warhammer. When the DLC drops I'll play another couple of campaigns and then rinse repeat.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

That's not a troll.

This is a troll

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Isn't it Fascist Australia in Victoria 2?

edit: yep

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 7, 2016

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

How did we survive with just 6 map modes?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Paradox was so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

:tif:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

bees everywhere posted:

Honestly I hope they simplify the economy HOI4 style for Vicky 3 because I've played a lot of Vicky 2 and that poo poo still confuses the hell out of me. Not in that I don't understand it, it's just a lot of work to keep up with it when you've got so many other things going on.

A capitalist re-tools a factroy!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If you ever did take a crack at Vicky 3, how would you handle this? I mean resources being in limited quantity/availability is pretty key to Vicky's economy (as opposed to say HoI4 where resources are limited but not consumed, so you never actually "run out" unless you lose access somehow or increase your production beyond your supply), but it must be a hell of a balancing act to ensure that like, the world is capable of producing enough food to sustain the global population as it grows over time let alone all the other production chains going on.

I recall someone at paradox saying they wanted to look at making markets regional instead of global, which reduces the problem down to balancing a dozen markets instead of one.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Can't wait for them to announce more than a year of dev diaries for a game that won't be released until Q3 2018!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Agean90 posted:

Yeah, their former publishers pushing for naval u it's kinda wrecked Wargame for me.

Is it going to be basically ww2 Wargame? Cause that would own

From this interview it looks like a WW2 Wargame is exactly what it is.

http://www.pcgamer.com/steel-division-normandy-44-is-a-realistic-ww2-rts-coming-this-year/

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This screenshot tells you all you need to know on how much like Wargame it's going to be a lot

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DurosKlav posted:

That does look really sweet! I do get kind of an updated Close Combat vibe from it.

Other than the Matrix vapourware update to Close Combat, the Tactical Art of Combat is looking like the modern remake of CC.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Alchenar posted:

The problem is that over the course of the three games it became clear that they definitely never understood why people liked Wargame, and their heart was always in abandoning that surprisingly popular game to go make Act of Aggression. That having bombed, they went back to producing DLC for Red Dragon and looking for a new publisher (now found).

The talent is definitely there, what they need is a bit of that Paradox style bond with the fans where they listen very carefully to what the customers actually want.

The problem with Wargame players is they want 30 different versions of the Hind helicopter to be represented in game.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I haven't been following updates for the new EU4 expansion, but I just saw a couple of pics Johan posted.

You can declare bankruptcy and wipe all your loans! The penalties are pretty harsh so things would need to be dire, but it's good to have the option.

Manual breaches in exchange for 50 MIL. Again, not something I'd do often, but sometimes you just want to get a siege over with quickly.

With the new diplomacy planner that lets you give your diplomats long term missions, this is shaping up to be a pretty nifty expansion.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Steel Division comes out on 23 May, is $40 and is available for pre-order now which lets you start playing the beta immediately.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Press conference at PDXCON on at the moment

- EU4: Third Rome announced - 1st "immersion" pack for EU4 focused on Russia.
- Jon Shafer joining Paradox to work on 'unannounced' game.
- Paradox publishing a Battletech game.
- Paradox publishing a Mars city building game by the Tropico devs

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Europa Universalis: Rome 2: At The Gates.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ofaloaf posted:

The KR panel was great, half the "history of KR" presentation was about modder drama and every fight for control since 2006. They barely talked about any development milestones except for when they moved to a new game.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ein Sexmonster posted:

There's nothing EU5 would really accomplish at this point- they'd rather develop more content for 4 and have their new games be, well, new.

Now they're producing "immersion packs" there is still a long, long tail of DLC to be mined.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Stairmaster posted:

wait why are we talking about meiou all of a sudden

Version 2.0 was just released - DDRJake has a good overview of features here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdDqnY7S4BE&t=2262s

Jeoh posted:

meiou, more like 没有

boo this man.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Paradox have 3 options with DLC - all paid, part paid or all free. They used to be all paid, which sucked because you had to buy every expansion. They can't make everything free so it's a matter of where they draw the line at part paid. I think they've mainly got the balance right, usually where they go off track is when the DLC has more than just content but also mechanics that affect all players. But Paradox can't win because even when they put out a pure content pack like Third Rome it gets blasted on Steam for not having *enough* content.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Clausewitz is still a 32 bit engine and they are really butting up against the limits of what it can do - it will be interesting to see how paradox manage the change to a 64 bit engine.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The whole pricing fiasco was bizarre coming from a company that prides itself on transparency and communication. It sounds like it was some thought bubble from accounting that had some big numbers showing increased profits and it was just rolled out with seemingly zero strategy on how to communicate the changes. There was no warning or announcement when it happened - it was discovered by the users. Then when it was raised in the forums, the explanations were vague and contradictory. Then when people complained about the reasons/strategy they were blocked if they complained too much.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Meanwhile the Paradox juggernaut gathers pace

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Now Paradox can finally publish a decent 4X game.

actually I'm coming around to the view that Stellaris is a very good game

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

LogisticEarth posted:

some missteps from the "old" design team, namely the POP/tile system

Now see this is where I disagree entirely and why I think Stellaris is a good game - and potentially a great game - its only hope lies in the POPS. The mash up of Crusader Kings and Victoria is the one bright spark in the game that Paradox are slowly, if haphazardly, fanning to life. The unique selling point of Stellaris when it was released was that it allowed you to create an infinite mashup of science fiction tropes - you could have House Harkonnen fighting with the Romulans against the backdrop of a hive fleet invasion. Obviously that's not how it was when it released and for some strange reason Paradox regressed to relying on events rather than mechanics to achieve that style of gameplay. But the bones of the game are there to generate great science fiction stories through the POP mechanics. That's why I think people calling for an overhaul of wars and combat are missing the point - what needs to be beefed up are the politics as to why you go to war, not how that war is prosecuted.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jeoh posted:

That's a thing? :o

Yep - http://www.moddb.com/mods/romance-of-the-three-kingdoms Just download and run the exe from moddb and then select the Sanguo mod from the launcher.

It's a really well done and professional mod with new music, a great map of China, different start dates and all your favourite characters from Liu Bei to Sun Ce. I seriously doubt Paradox could have done better themselves.

thanks link fixed.

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 8, 2017

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Phlegmish posted:

I am a bit disappointed with how Stellaris apparently turned out, I remember being pretty excited for it when it came out. Hopefully it's one of those series where they iteratively improve on the formula each instalment, and I can enjoy Stellaris 2.

e: is Endless Space 2 good? I didn't much like the first one as it's so generic.

ES2 is more like Endless Legend in space than a sequel to ES1. So yeah, pretty good. The factions are all really different and cool and they have interesting internal political stuff to keep track of as well. It was a bit buggy on release but is a lot better now.

I hope Pdx do make Victoria 3 simply because the game has some of the best and unique game design ideas they've ever come up with and it would be a travesty if they remain locked up in an old dead game that is no longer developed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Something like trade lanes would also be an intuitive way to display the flow of goods to the player - everyone would still be able to sell goods to anyone else, but the actual flow of goods would be tracked from the selling nation to the buying nation and contribute to the "size" of the trade lane. They could be pre-defined like EU4 trade routes, or dynamic based on actual trade activity (although I could see this becoming a huge disorganized mess without some system to "cluster" trade into shared lanes rather than just everything taking the most direct route). Then your tariff income would be based on control of those lanes and how much actual trade was flowing through them. This would also mean that controlling say, the Suez or Panama canals would actually have an intrinsic value because of how they disrupt the flow of trade, rather than just giving a yearly flat "you got 10,000 monies" bonus.

Vicky 3 should let you draw big arrows on the map like HOI4 except for trade goods not armies.